• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did this get posted yet?

sawayabatmobile-0174-1-1ae45.jpg

Found at: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-unveils-the-worlds-largest-lego-batmobile

That's a lot of bricks.

Not posted here yet, but I saw it. Not impressed beyond the sheer amount of bricks used to make it.

Also, I edited my previous post on the figures that come with Doctor Who set.

Yeah, I appreciate the scale but it does not appear terribly complex.

Cannot wait for Doctor who. Looks amazing

Kryten

I don't suppose anyone has any intel on Mindstorms? The EV3 set has been out for a little while and even though it occasionally gets a decent price drop here (it's normally $599 in NZ!), I'm hesitant to take the plunge in case there's a replacement right around the corner.

ghostmind

K09j46F.jpg

21304 LEGO Ideas Doctor Who
Ages 10+
623 pieces
USD $59.99 / EUR €59,99
Available December 1st.

You might have thought it disappeared into a crack in space and time, but today we're excited to finally share pictures and details about the LEGO® Ideas 21304 Doctor Who!

AndrewClark2's Doctor Who and Companions was too great for just one Doctor, who we decided to include two! You can buy yours December 1st, in time for the Doctor Who Christmas Special, for a recommended retail price of USD $59.99 / EUR €59,99. You might want to keep an eye on that Weeping Angel though....

Here is the official product description:

Construct a stunningly detailed LEGO® version of the iconic TARDIS® and role-play the Doctor’s time-travel adventures! Created by fan-designer Andrew Clark and selected by LEGO Ideas members, this set is based on the BBC’s popular and long-running television series about a Time Lord – the Doctor – exploring the universe in a blue police box. Due to trans-dimensional engineering, the TARDIS is bigger on the inside than the outside and this cool multifunctional set includes the console room that houses all the flight controls. Regenerate the Doctor and defeat the evil Daleks™ and a Weeping Angel with the help of his extraordinary companion Clara. Then close the doors of the TARDIS and launch into another dimension! Includes 4 minifigures with assorted accessory elements: the Eleventh Doctor, the Twelfth Doctor, Clara Oswald and a Weeping Angel, plus 2 Daleks™.

0BmwAdi.jpg

0mp5noj.jpg

1w7rkzq.jpg

1wcwGTk.jpg

AlNtziL.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kind of on the subject of Dimensions.

Have there been any rumors of an official non-Dimensions Portal set? I know we saw the Doctor Who Dimensions stuff leak months before we heard the real set was coming.

Thanks for posting the additional pics, Ghostmind. I think they nailed the characters. Is that fez a new piece? Definitely buying multiples of this.

Edit: Apparently I have like 12 sets with that fez cone. Who knew?

wetwired

So can the tardis close up completely so it's 100 percent closed? I don't like Dr who but I'd get it if it does to plop in city displays along with other film and TV characters

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't like Doctor Who...or well I've never seen it before so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not but this set is so bought.

The new stuff since the "reboot" is on Netflix. They are currently in season 9 (but the seasons are shorter than seasons of US shows). Never hurts to start at the beginning, but if you're curious, season 5 is a good jumping off point as well.

FYI, Target currently has a promo of buy a $24.99 or greater City, Ninjago, or Friends set, get a free Mixels. I picked up the Space Utility Shuttle and Jinky.

Also saw the Lego Star Wars Rebels Imperial Assault Carrier was being sold by a 3rd party merchant on Amazon new for only $86.98 including shipping, so I snatched that up. Another seller has it for sale for the same price currently, and lists it as "New", but states that it was opened up and is partially put together.

Toxi

Banned
Wish there was a Tenth Doctor, mostly because I'm greedy and he's my favorite version of the Doctor.

Still totally gonna get the set. Love the TARDIS console. Hate the stickers.
I don't like Doctor Who...or well I've never seen it before so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not but this set is so bought.
Watch the episode Blink, a classic story you can enjoy without knowing almost anything about the show. Then jump on at either Series 1 or Series 5 of the new show and watch in order.

If Golden Girls gets approved that would make it the third Ideas set based on a TV show.

Lots of TV shows making the cut lately. Is there a "Married with Children" or "Walking Dead" entry? A show about a family and LEGO already does zombies. They are sure to make the cut.

Maengun1

I'm still sad X-Files wasn't approved. The office was aces and would have hit 10k no problem. I've never seen Doctor Who, but it always seemed vaguely X-Files-y to me (monsters/aliens/supernatural stuff, right?). Is it really much more "family friendly"?

I also totally voted for the Golden Girls set and would love if it got made, haha. I know several people who aren't super into Lego but would love that as a gift. That and the Titanic model are the upcoming ones in review I'm pulling for.

There is no way The Walking Dead will ever be accepted. Ever.

How about "Game of Thrones", "Dexter", or "The Sopranos"?

I'm still sad X-Files wasn't approved. The office was aces and would have hit 10k no problem. I've never seen Doctor Who, but it always seemed vaguely X-Files-y to me (monsters/aliens/supernatural stuff, right?). Is it really much more "family friendly"?

Doctor Who was originally intended to be an educational series to teach about history. Not sure when it veered off.

Maengun1

Doctor Who was originally intended to be an educational series to teach about history. Not sure when it veered off.

Interesting, thanks. I know the reboot is on Netflix, it's been in my queue for ages.

tuffy

Once Dalekmania hit, the original plan largely evaporated - so that'd be the show's second story. The purely historical stories (with no aliens, monsters, etc.) almost completely disappeared once the 1st Doctor's era ended.

But even so, Doctor Who's been an all-ages type of show for most of its run so it's a good fit for Lego.

Watch the episode Blink, a classic story you can enjoy without knowing almost anything about the show. Then jump on at either Series 1 or Series 5 of the new show and watch in order.

There was an episode of Tom Baker - era Who which absolutely terrified me as an impressionable kid (Hand of Fear from 1976, I believe). I took a 30 year break from the show at that point, and stumbled upon the start of the Blink episode without knowing anything about the modern Doctor. Fell in love instantly. Good recommendation.

Sign up at http://www.wallercustoms.com/ and wait for Wetwired's customs to come back in stock. Mine arrived last week and the quality is ridiculous. I was not expecting them to look this good in person. Then download his LDD and build the office yourself!

As for whether or not Who is "family friendly", most of the episodes are. We've let our 9 year old daughter watch a few episodes and she loved it. I would never give her unfettered access to it of course, but the majority of them aren't too scary.

Blink is the best episode of modern Doctor Who. You can go in completely cold and still be fine.

Although, Listen is seriously in contention for me. Man, does that episode get better and better with each viewing. I don't know if you can go in as cold as you can with Blink, but Listen has an emotional punch that Blink doesn't have while still being scary.

Toxi

Banned
Blink is the best episode of modern Doctor Who. You can go in completely cold and still be fine.

Although, Listen is seriously in contention for me. Man, does that episode get better and better with each viewing. I don't know if you can go in as cold as you can with Blink, but Listen has an emotional punch that Blink doesn't have while still being scary.
Midnight is my personal favorite episode of modern Doctor Who... But it only works if you're familiar with Doctor Who's conventions and formula. Listen's kinda in the same boat.

One of the great things about Blink is that it works even if you've never watched an episode of Doctor Who.

Not too many will care here but happy to have completed getting all of Bionicle 2015 :D

Really stoaked about the Netflix series next year alongside the great looking 2016 sets (<3 Rahi)

I like your setup. I'm not a Bionicle fan but the new Star Wars character building sets have certainly made me appreciate the concept more than I did.

Toxi

Banned
Not too many will care here but happy to have completed getting all of Bionicle 2015 :D

Really stoaked about the Netflix series next year alongside the great looking 2016 sets (<3 Rahi)
Sweet! And yeah, next year looks great. I feel like 2015 and 2016 will be thought of as a renaissance for the line in the future, a return to form after Bionicle stagnated in its later years before its death.

Wanderer5

One of my cousins who loves Doctor Who should get a kick out of that lego set heh.

Well cruised through a lego store not too far from me today while waiting for a meetup. Ecto-1 was one of the many things on displays and oh man does it looks so cool.*.* Mystery Mansion was on displayed too, and that looked great. I checked out the minifigure series 14, and decided to test out my luck (using the "feel" technique through XD), and bleh can't feel for jack.:p Ended up getting the mad scientist, but I would really LOVE that werewolf, so I going online for that.

GulAtiCa

I really want that Doctor Who Lego set.

I haven't played with Legos since I was in 9th grade and had to move and box everything up. I had an electric train set for it that was awesome. Went pretty fast too. As a kid, I had a huge town/city in the basement that I built where I'd listen to Britney Spears 1st album. :lol.

Part of me would love to get back into getting legos. Esp for the more bigger sets. Luckily the prices have helped me keep away. Though would like to get a new Train set sometime.

All of my childhood legos are still boxed up at my parents place. I have a niece and nephew who are 3 and 2 respectively. I'm really looking forward to playing with them with legos. I'm curious if when we boxed everything up so many years ago that it had any of the different set instructions. Prob not. lol

I haven't played with Legos since I was in 9th grade and had to move and box everything up. I had an electric train set for it that was awesome. Went pretty fast too. As a kid, I had a huge town/city in the basement that I built where I'd listen to Britney Spears 1st album. :lol.

Part of me would love to get back into getting legos. Esp for the more bigger sets. Luckily the prices have helped me keep away. Though would like to get a new Train set sometime.

All of my childhood legos are still boxed up at my parents place. I have a niece and nephew who are 3 and 2 respectively. I'm really looking forward to playing with them with legos. I'm curious if when we boxed everything up so many years ago that it had any of the different set instructions. Prob not. lol

If you need instructions for the old sets, Brickset is your friend. I have gone there to find the instructions for some old sets that I lost the books to.

Looks like LEGO's plan to lure people in with the LEGO Idea's sets is working. As Phonciplebone mentioned, it's relatively easy to find instructions online via Brickset. They don't actually host the instructions, but rather link to LEGO site for PDF instructions. There is a website that has scans of the really old instructions before LEGO started posting digital copies online. I don't recall, buy you can search for them fairly easily.

Rootbeer

Banned
Not only are the Dalek builds different between the Dimensions and Ideas sets, but the printing on the Doctor is also different, which adds incentive towards buying both in case you were thinking of only going one or the other. But... you were already buying both anyways, right? I mean how could you pass up on that mini call box?

And since the Cyberman is not in the Ideas set, it begs the question rather there will be a second Who set that may include it, or will the Cyberman be a Dimensions exclusive? Either way, it's worth pointing out!

And lastly, seeing the Cyberman left out of the Ideas set makes me ponder about the upcoming Ghost Busters HQ. Will it include slimer? Will it include Stay Puft? I can see them leaving out Stay Puft since it may not make sense to include him, though they could be creative about it for sure. More reasons you might want to pick up one or both of those Dimensions sets.

teeny

Not only are the Dalek builds different between the Dimensions and Ideas sets, but the printing on the Doctor is also different, which adds incentive towards buying both in case you were thinking of only going one or the other. But... you were already buying both anyways, right? I mean how could you pass up on that mini call box?

And since the Cyberman is not in the Ideas set, it begs the question rather there will be a second Who set that may include it, or will the Cyberman be a Dimensions exclusive? Either way, it's worth pointing out!

And lastly, seeing the Cyberman left out of the Ideas set makes me ponder about the upcoming Ghost Busters HQ. Will it include slimer? Will it include Stay Puft? I can see them leaving out Stay Puft since it may not make sense to include him, though they could be creative about it for sure. More reasons you might want to pick up one or both of those Dimensions sets.

I was kind of hoping the cyberman would come with this set as I really didn't want to start buying dimensions stuff - the Portal set is hard enough to deal with as is!

Still, the actual set is fantastic and earlier than I expected too! If this does well, I really hope we get some additional sets from RTD and the classic eras. A doctor + companion + enemy mini diorama for each doctor would be awesome, though unlikely.

Sigh and now i may just have to start watching Dr. Who (among approximately 25 other series i'd REALLY like to get around to watching)...

So if i got this right, there is the OLD Dr. Who (i watched a couple episodes like 25 years ago or more i think) and then there is the reboot right? Does it make sense at all at this point to start with the super old one or just go with reboot?

teeny

Sigh and now i may just have to start watching Dr. Who (among approximately 25 other series i'd REALLY like to get around to watching)...

So if i got this right, there is the OLD Dr. Who (i watched a couple episodes like 25 years ago or more i think) and then there is the reboot right? Does it make sense at all at this point to start with the super old one or just go with reboot?

You are correct, yes. The classic era ran from 1963 to 1989. Modern Doctor Who started in 2005. I would start with the newer run and then dip into the classic era if you find yourself interested. It has not aged well (visually speaking), so you'll get more out of the classic era if you have been endeared to the universe.

If you are going to watch the new run, there are also multiple jumping in points. The first series with Christopher Ecclestone as the Doctor is pretty budget and was still really finding it's voice / niche. However, there are some truly stand out episodes like Dalek, The Doctor Dances, The End Of The World and the finale.

David Tennant's run is when the series really started finding it's feet - watch some episodes like Blink, Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead and The Waters Of Mars (there are tonnes more).

A lot of people, however, have started with Matt Smith's run with 'The Eleventh Hour' which felt like a mini reboot due to a change in show runner and yet another increase in visual spectacular.

You are correct, yes. The classic era ran from 1963 to 1989. Modern Doctor Who started in 2005. I would start with the newer run and then dip into the classic era if you find yourself interested. It has not aged well (visually speaking), so you'll get more out of the classic era if you have been endeared to the universe.

If you are going to watch the new run, there are also multiple jumping in points. The first series with Christopher Ecclestone as the Doctor is pretty budget and was still really finding it's voice / niche. However, there are some truly stand out episodes like Dalek, The Doctor Dances, The End Of The World and the finale.

David Tennant's run is when the series really started finding it's feet - watch some episodes like Blink, Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead and The Waters Of Mars (there are tonnes more).

A lot of people, however, have started with Matt Smith's run with 'The Eleventh Hour' which felt like a mini reboot due to a change in show runner and yet another increase in visual spectacular.

Ugh thanks but i feel like i am even MORE confused now as to where to jump in LOL Is there a "best" jumping in point in your opinion then? Also, how LONG is one season generally (how many eps) i want to know whether i can binge through or not.

On Topic: Currently building the Mystery Mansion. Dat Greenhouse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom