• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Season is 12 or 13 episodes if I'm not mistaken.

I have Doctor Who in my Netflix cue for a while now, never watched a minute of it before. Might start now I guess. I'll start at season 5, as sugested by some here, after watching that 'Blink' episode, which is in season 2 or 3.

Daeda

Ugh thanks but i feel like i am even MORE confused now as to where to jump in LOL Is there a "best" jumping in point in your opinion then? Also, how LONG is one season generally (how many eps) i want to know whether i can binge through or not.

On Topic: Currently building the Mystery Mansion. Dat Greenhouse :)

Id jump in at the start of the reboot personally (e.g. 2005 start). It serves as the best introduction (reboot assumes youve not seen the old Dr Who) plus the earlier episodes, albeit lower on budget, contain some of the best episodes as well as one of the best doctors. Seasons tend to be 13 episodes + a Christmas special, each about 50 minutes. We're currently at season 9 of the reboot.

teeny

Ugh thanks but i feel like i am even MORE confused now as to where to jump in LOL Is there a "best" jumping in point in your opinion then? Also, how LONG is one season generally (how many eps) i want to know whether i can binge through or not.

Haha, sorry! I would say jump in at series 5 - Matt Smith's first series. If you like what you see, research some recommended episodes for before then or start from series 1 with Christopher Eccleston.

In all honesty, it isn't a very linear series. There are major story arcs that occur, but a lot of the episodes are very stand-alone in nature.

Step 1: Watch Blink

If you like it, move onto Step 2: Start with Season 1 of the reboot, with Christopher Eccleston.

13 episode seasons. As mentioned before, if you want to start, start with season 1 (2005). It is campy, and relatively low budget, but it is charming and a lot of fun.

And, as mentioned before, you could just jump to the start of season 5. It was designed as a jumping on point for new people and it is much higher budget and finally in HD at that point.

There are great things in every season, but season 5 was the most consistently strong in my opinion. Even if season 3 had the best episode ever (Blink).

So if i start with S5 (and maybe watch Blink before that) i will not have missed anything major in terms of story and/or nods and references that occur later then? Ok i will get started right away then :)

teeny

Step 1: Watch Blink

If you like it, move onto Step 2: Start with Season 1 of the reboot, with Christopher Eccleston.

I don't think Blink is really representative of the average Doctor Who episode, though. You don't really get a sense of what the programme is all about as a whole. It is a cracking episode and a must see, though, but not a jumping in point. If you watch Blink and then start at the beginning of series 1, chances are you're going to be very disappointed. IMO, of course.

Anyway, I should probably stop derailing the Lego community thread with Doctor Who chatter :)

I'm planning a Christmas proposal and just bought some of the bits I need for my plan. I'm never one to usually get into Christmas this early but with this and the winter Lego sets, I'm getting very excited.

The wait for the double VIP points (in the UK) is excruciating when every impulse wants to place a (big) order now.

So if i start with S5 (and maybe watch Blink before that) i will not have missed anything major in terms of story and/or nods and references that occur later then? Ok i will get started right away then :)
Oh, you will miss some references and call backs. Hell, starting in season 1 they have call backs to stuff from the 60s. Just dive in and pick it up as you go.

GulAtiCa

Start with S5. Best place to dive in. With New Doctor & Companion and little reference to past stuff from S1-S4 (No other past companions showing up/etc)

S1 is a bad place to start, as the quality is pretty bad.... Both in terms of CGI (think like B-movie bad) and just bad plots. Like farting aliens... S2 is a good spot with the 10th Doctor, but does rely on stuff from S1.

What I did was start on S5 and bounced around between watching S5+ and going back to S1 and so on like a true Time Lord.

Start with S5. Best place to dive in. With New Doctor & Companion and little reference to past stuff from S1-S4 (No other past companions showing up/etc)

S1 is a bad place to start, as the quality is pretty bad.... Both in terms of CGI (think like B-movie bad) and just bad plots. Like farting aliens... S2 is a good spot with the 10th Doctor, but does rely on stuff from S1.

What I did was start on S5 and bounced around between watching S5+ and going back to S1 and so on like a true Time Lord.

hqdefault.jpg

Empty Child/Doctor Dances disagrees. And it introduces Jack Harkness.

Man, I want some figures from that story. Just an army of creepy children in gas masks.

GulAtiCa

hqdefault.jpg

Empty Child/Doctor Dances disagrees. And it introduces Jack Harkness.

Man, I want some figures from that story. Just an army of creepy children in gas masks.

That episode is awesome. Problem is... That that's the 9th episode. You'd have to drudge through so much .... to get to it.

woodypop

The prices for "fun packs" and whatever for Dimensions are ridiculous. The Portal 2 pack is $30! That is criminal.
Which is why I won't be jumping in on this. Prices are too high for me. If they were about 1/3 less, I think I'd swing it. I'll wait for a sale, clearance if need be.

Draxal

I just don't see dimensions doing that well ... as it's not only competing against other toy to life games, it's also competing against other lego products that are just way cheaper.

Which is why I won't be jumping in on this. Prices are too high for me. If they were about 1/3 less, I think I'd swing it. I'll wait for a sale, clearance if need be.

Yeah, I hadn't been following the pricing but was floored to see them at $30 a piece. I have a passing interest in the Portal & Wizard of Oz ones but not enough to buy them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The prices for "fun packs" and whatever for Dimensions are ridiculous. The Portal 2 pack is $30! That is criminal.

Well you do get an extra level with those larger packs like portal. The $15 fun packs unlock hub worlds and characters to play with and are almost acceptable in terms of price.

Fowler

I'm planning a Christmas proposal and just bought some of the bits I need for my plan. I'm never one to usually get into Christmas this early but with this and the winter Lego sets, I'm getting very excited.

I proposed with LEGO about a month ago! Rings fit perfectly in minifig hands. Good luck!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Dat random weeping angel lol. TARDIS does look swooshable!

So much LEGO among this and Dimensions -.-

Ryuuroden

So I found an old old list I made of potential custom modulars I was going to make for my city. I still will someday. This list dates back to like 2011 or 2012.

-Post Office
-Toy Store
-Furniture Store
-Barber Shop
-Electronics Shop
-Book Store
-Luggage Store
-Pet Store
-Sports goods Store
-Hardware Store
-Library
-Theater
-Restaurants
-Offices
-Corner Gas Station
-Bicycle Shop
-Detective Agency
-Law Offices
-Bakery
-Ice Cream Parlor
-Tavern Bar
-Dance Club
-Drug Store
-Bowling Alley
-Church
-Hotel
-Bed and Breakfast
-Bank
-Eyeglass Shop
-Candle and Scents Shop
-Adult Bookstore
-Stripper Bar
-Butcher
-Coffee Shop
-Antique Store
-Flower Store
-Doctors Office
-Hospital
-Dentists
-Art Gallery
-Museum
-Food Market
-Farmers Market
-Auto Dealer
-Print Shop
-Record Store
-Recording Studio
-Row Houses
-Auto Repair Shop

Some of the stuff actually has been made into modulars since then.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

S1 is certainly low budget, but I'd put the story quality of the season above any single season of Tennant's run.

Well you do get an extra level with those larger packs like portal. The $15 fun packs unlock hub worlds and characters to play with and are almost acceptable in terms of price.

$30 was too much for me to impulse purchase. Even the lower priced $25 sets were too much for impulse purchasing.

The problem with Dimensions for me is that it doesn't feel like an "individual set" kind of thing, it's either everything or nothing and "everything" means it'll never fall into impulse territory!

That TARDIS set looks amazing. I've never seen the Doctor Who reboot and have seen almost nothing prior to that either, but I can know a good set of LEGO when I see one. Wall-E and this really put that Big Bang Theory set to shame.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just got some goodies in the mail!

Guys, I did not know that Great LEGO Sets was a slipcase! FINALLY they are doing this! the LEGO set is in a little box and the book is not attached to anything, it slips out nicely.

So I found an old old list I made of potential custom modulars I was going to make for my city. I still will someday. This list dates back to like 2011 or 2012.

Some of the stuff actually has been made into modulars since then.

Medicinal Dispensary
Park
Pipe shop
Pawn Shop

Another Craigslist score. 30 used sets including winter village toy shop and bakery for $100. There are tons of loose bricks and minifigs too.

Buying some of the Star Wars Rebels sets lately has got me binging on Legos now. Today I bought a Force Awakens Falcon with a rip in the box for $107 shipped on Ebay and found a Craigslist seller who had a used, complete Republic Cruiser (the more recent one with Quinlan Vos) for $50.

Help me GAF, you're my only hope...

iosefe

Today was monthly Mini build day and for my shift, i sat there building and rebuilding the build with kids to help them build

today was a good day. i love my job

Ponn

Banned
Buying some of the Star Wars Rebels sets lately has got me binging on Legos now. Today I bought a Force Awakens Falcon with a rip in the box for $107 shipped on Ebay and found a Craigslist seller who had a used, complete Republic Cruiser (the more recent one with Quinlan Vos) for $50.

Help me GAF, you're my only hope...

You're doing good so far, keep up the good work and buy more.

Maybe a little bit complex, but if he likes Scooby Doo and the "scary" stuff already, it shouldn't be a problem. It's a cool set.

If you prefer City stuff, there's the huge (and expensive) city square with both vehicles and buildings, or the Bike Shop & Cafe which has multiple builds. For buildings, there's also plenty of cool, medium sized sets in the Friends line. Slightly pink, but that never hurt anyone.

For just a bit more than the mansion, you get the Friends hotel which is HUGE, and probably more potential for play or rebuilds. The mansion is slightly gimmicky.

How accurate are the age ratings on Lego? I don't have a kid, but the Scooby Doo Mansion and the City Square are both 6+ so would they be a bit much for a 4-year-old?

You might find yourself having to build a lot more of it than he gets to.

I fancy a decent sized Lego set for Christmas to do with the boy - he's 4.

we prefer buildings to vehicles is the Scooby Do Mansion a decent build?

The general consensus is that the Mansion is a solid set. I haven't built it yet.

The Creator buildings are pretty decent, and the smaller ones (Changing Seasons 31038 and Mountain Hut 31025) are solid builds that will stand up well to a 4 year old's play session. I have a daughter the same age who gets a ton of mileage out of the retired Family House 31012 set.

If you want to go really big and don't worry about the fiddly bits coming off, go for a modular. My kids can spend hours playing with them - just know that you'll be doing a lot of repair work after the fact.

How accurate are the age ratings on Lego? I don't have a kid, but the Scooby Doo Mansion and the City Square are both 6+ so would they be a bit much for a 4-year-old?

You might find yourself having to build a lot more of it than he gets to.

In my experience you're going to be building all but the most basic sets for a 4 year old. For the most part they are too young to have both the patience and cognitive understanding to follow more than a direction or two.

Yeah my boy loves us building Lego together but he just does the mini figs, wheels, finishing bits etc for the most part then likes to customise the things we build.

The worst thing about Lego is getting into it and missing out on past sets, gutted I missed the monster fighters range that Mansion is a beaut!

Picked up a couple of bargains and smaller sets for him for Christmas, got the utility shuttle for £12 and some of the deep sea small sets and the marvel set with Carnage.

Also got him the love that minifgure book, a Lego watch and the new DC movie with the trickster figure, it's going to be another Lego Christmas (last year was mainly Lego movie and Chima)

Edit just been on the Lego store the winter toy shop or Santas grotto is tempting to build in December

Edit just been on the Lego store the winter toy shop or Santas grotto is tempting to build in December

The toy shop is fantastic! I have the original one and it's in my top three sets of all time for sure. The new one is virtually identical so unless you are trying to collect them all, I'd highly recommend it over the Santa Workshop one.

Is it really called Santa's Grotto overseas (I'm in Canada)?

teeny

I bought the double-decker couch during my lunch break. I don't really know why - it probably isn't good value for money!

On the plus side, I'm playing less video games nowadays :)

Osahi

I bought the double-decker couch during my lunch break. I don't really know why - it probably isn't good value for money!

On the plus side, I'm playing less video games nowadays :)

It is such a nice display piece for fans of the film. And lots of figs! It is one of my favorite small sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom