• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

It never ends. Once I was caught up, I still plan on buying the yearly set release. My Lego street keeps getting larger and larger. One day I'll be redoing my man cave. Rest assured I will be planning for future modular expansion.

I did the same as you. PR is my favorite, but grab a Fire Brigade if you can. It's one of my favorite sets.

Herbs

Banned
Decided to spring for it but I'm guessing it's the one without the fix. Any way to tell?

DilghPy.jpg

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Decided to spring for it but I'm guessing it's the one without the fix. Any way to tell?

There is no fix in Europe. NA version suffered from a weak part, that was fixed. All fixed versions still have the loose head, that won't change. It's no problem as a display piece, though.

Ever since I first saw the Lego Elves set Skyra’s Mysterious Castle, I wanted it. But I didn’t know why. Really, a tan and purple castle has very little place in my collection, even though I generally like the Elves series. But the castle itself is very well designed and has a bunch of great play features. The idea is that a number of relics are recovered to open the portal at the top of the castle. Now, doesn’t that sound familiar?

From there, it was obvious to turn Skyra’s Mysterious Castle into Dracula’s Devil Castle, Akumajo Dracula or Castlevania as it’s known outside Japan. I built the entire set in Lego Digital Designer and then switched out all colours. While the actual Castlevania has a bunch of colour schemes across the games and between stages, I stuck with the red/white/black scheme for consistency. From there, I made some changes to the design and then, as usual, ordered all the pieces (except a few I knew I had) off Bricklink.

Legojo Dracula - the castle entrance by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

There is a gate at the front and there are six distinct sections of the castle to place bosses in. Instead of friendly paintings, the hallway received the classic Castlevania curtains and I built a huge bat and added some detailing, making it a cross between the outside area and the very first stage. The shower room obviously and easily turned into a watery cave, where the retractable water curtain reveals the medusa and instead of a lilypad, there’s a bowl holding the heart of Dracula (which, thanks to Pirates of the Caribbean, actually exists as a printed Lego piece!). Medusa herself was released as a collectible minifigure but I made a fleshie version using the classic slave Leia torso. The bakery of Azari turned into a treasure chamber, to keep with the golden theme. This was inspired by the stage in Super Castlevania IV, although I used ”The Monster” as the boss rather than a gem bat. The Monster was easily combined from recent collectible minifigures, and I finally found a use for at least one of those crappy rockers!

Legojo Dracula - overview by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

Going upstairs, I made the biggest changes to the right tower. I really wanted to make a classic clock tower level and there was no real room for that, so I extended the tower section. On the back there’s a lever which, through a number of gears, turns the clock. There’s even a pendulum which hangs freely but, unfortunately, doesn’t accurately tick. The werewolf is mostly the great recent minifigure with a new torso. The throne room on the left was another section which screamed Castlevania already, so there are no real changes there. Death has a Ninjago torso, the brand new Ninjago/CMF Spectre ghost legs, a Taskmaster skeletal face, a Nazgul hood and cape and of course a huge scythe.

Then there’s the central portal room. The original set has a neat Technic contraption hidden behind the cutesy Elves facade, which opens the dimension portal. In my version, I added holders for four relics (and left the pedestal for the fifth one). Turning the pedestal opens the shutter panels for the portal in a really clever way. The Dracula inside is simply the Vampire from the second collectible minifigure series, who I’ve wanted a reason to buy until now. There are plenty of other official vampires (from Monster Fighters and Scooby Doo), but they tend to look a bit goofy.

Legojo Dracula - minifigures by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

There has been a bunch of Castlevania heroes, but since the castle was mostly based off the first game and the idea of the relics of Dracula from the second, I wanted to have Simon Belmont as the hero. He has seen a number of designs, but while I prefer the old games, I like the redesign which gave him red hair. But while browsing Bricklink for parts, I came across a torso which is quite literally perfect for Alucard, my all-time favourite. So I had to build him as well. Storm’s white hair completed his look along with a cloak which is actually cut out from a bigfigure cloak, using a regular one as a guide. There IS an actual red/black cloak which comes with Aragorn, but meh, I didn’t want to take him apart.

This build let me create a tribute to my favourite games and offered a perfect place for many of these great monster figures, and also let me try out the build of Skyra’s castle without buying the set itself. There’s only one problem. I still don’t have a Skyra figure. Doh!

A couple of more pictures in the stage by stage walkthrough here.

Well done! Lots to look at and take in. I like that just doing a building was not enough. You went above and beyond by getting the figures just right too.

Ever since I first saw the Lego Elves set Skyra’s Mysterious Castle, I wanted it. But I didn’t know why. Really, a tan and purple castle has very little place in my collection, even though I generally like the Elves series. But the castle itself is very well designed and has a bunch of great play features. The idea is that a number of relics are recovered to open the portal at the top of the castle. Now, doesn’t that sound familiar?

Excellent! I agree about the Friends (as I call all sets with minidolls) sets. They have great designs, but the colors aren't ideal if you aren't the target demographic. I like the brick built bat.

EDIT: Is that an official LEGO skull you used for Death/wraith fig? I don't recall ever seeing one like that. The black "cheeks" work well with the hood. If it is, what minifig is that from?

Ponn

Banned
Excellent! I agree about the Friends (as I call all sets with minidolls) sets. They have great designs, but the colors aren't ideal if you aren't the target demographic. I like the brick built bat.

EDIT: Is that an official LEGO skull you used for Death/wraith fig? I don't recall ever seeing one like that. The black "cheeks" work well with the hood. If it is, what minifig is that from?

Could be Taskmaster fig.

From there, it was obvious to turn Skyra’s Mysterious Castle into Dracula’s Devil Castle, Akumajo Dracula or Castlevania as it’s known outside Japan. I built the entire set in Lego Digital Designer and then switched out all colours. While the actual Castlevania has a bunch of colour schemes across the games and between stages, I stuck with the red/white/black scheme for consistency. From there, I made some changes to the design and then, as usual, ordered all the pieces (except a few I knew I had) off Bricklink.

Legojo Dracula - the castle entrance by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

There is a gate at the front and there are six distinct sections of the castle to place bosses in. Instead of friendly paintings, the hallway received the classic Castlevania curtains and I built a huge bat and added some detailing, making it a cross between the outside area and the very first stage. The shower room obviously and easily turned into a watery cave, where the retractable water curtain reveals the medusa and instead of a lilypad, there’s a bowl holding the heart of Dracula (which, thanks to Pirates of the Caribbean, actually exists as a printed Lego piece!). Medusa herself was released as a collectible minifigure but I made a fleshie version using the classic slave Leia torso. The bakery of Azari turned into a treasure chamber, to keep with the golden theme. This was inspired by the stage in Super Castlevania IV, although I used ”The Monster” as the boss rather than a gem bat. The Monster was easily combined from recent collectible minifigures, and I finally found a use for at least one of those crappy rockers!

Going upstairs, I made the biggest changes to the right tower. I really wanted to make a classic clock tower level and there was no real room for that, so I extended the tower section. On the back there’s a lever which, through a number of gears, turns the clock. There’s even a pendulum which hangs freely but, unfortunately, doesn’t accurately tick. The werewolf is mostly the great recent minifigure with a new torso. The throne room on the left was another section which screamed Castlevania already, so there are no real changes there. Death has a Ninjago torso, the brand new Ninjago/CMF Spectre ghost legs, a Taskmaster skeletal face, a Nazgul hood and cape and of course a huge scythe.

Then there’s the central portal room. The original set has a neat Technic contraption hidden behind the cutesy Elves facade, which opens the dimension portal. In my version, I added holders for four relics (and left the pedestal for the fifth one). Turning the pedestal opens the shutter panels for the portal in a really clever way. The Dracula inside is simply the Vampire from the second collectible minifigure series, who I’ve wanted a reason to buy until now. There are plenty of other official vampires (from Monster Fighters and Scooby Doo), but they tend to look a bit goofy.

Legojo Dracula - minifigures by siegfried_fm, on Flickr

There has been a bunch of Castlevania heroes, but since the castle was mostly based off the first game and the idea of the relics of Dracula from the second, I wanted to have Simon Belmont as the hero. He has seen a number of designs, but while I prefer the old games, I like the redesign which gave him red hair. But while browsing Bricklink for parts, I came across a torso which is quite literally perfect for Alucard, my all-time favourite. So I had to build him as well. Storm’s white hair completed his look along with a cloak which is actually cut out from a bigfigure cloak, using a regular one as a guide. There IS an actual red/black cloak which comes with Aragorn, but meh, I didn’t want to take him apart.

This build let me create a tribute to my favourite games and offered a perfect place for many of these great monster figures, and also let me try out the build of Skyra’s castle without buying the set itself. There’s only one problem. I still don’t have a Skyra figure. Doh!

A couple of more pictures in the stage by stage walkthrough here.

That is amazing. Now I want to hook up my NES and play Castlevania. Which minifig parts did you use to build Simon and Alucard?

Death uses the Taskmaster head, a Nazgul hood and cloak (plus a purple one) and Ninjago wraith legs.

Alucard uses Storm's hair and Brickbeard's (2009) torso and a modified bigfigure cloak (cut down to match a regular one).

Simon uses the spare dark red hairpiece from the Heartlake Hair Salon. The torso is from the Sakaaran (GotG).

Medusa has the slave Leia torso and Karai's head.

Rootbeer

Banned
I SEE NO LANDO!

LEGO, how many more times you gonna do this to me.

Also that Boba Fett does not appear to have the super nice printing from Slave 1 so I guess the Slave 1 Boba Fett minifig remains the best

Yes!!! Sets I don't have any interest in and minfigs I don't want.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. I think I'll need this one.

DVaSIKH.jpg

Although that prison set is pretty cool. Those balloon pieces in those color will be pretty expensive on Bricklink until the come out in cheaper sets.

Speaking of balloon pieces. This is an awesome use of the white one. I'm in awe of NPU on that one.

Brothers Brick did a post on his stuff which is amazing. It's a whole story with several characters.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2015/10/10/tiny-adventure-tells-a-huge-story/

21959679256_0cec3743c5_c.jpg

Tiny Adventure. by Yosool 27, on Flickr

7-11.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I kinda want that prison island... otherwise, glad nothing too exciting from city. I can focus more on Star Wars and maybe some Nexo Knights.

I need that LEGOnomicon in my life.

BTW, there is a Force Awakens set in those SW pics.

Yup ackbar/leia!

The other one must be the rebel troops?

Closer look at Ackbar

Untitled by Mark, on Flickr

mojiimbo

Umm, Wall-E might be due for another "non-recall recall"(at least through official channels) so if you really want to get him in the immediate future or through double VIP I'd try sooner rather than later. He's still up on the website for now...

Rootbeer

Banned
Is that an underwater port-a-potty???

And if that Supes vs. Bats set is accurate thats a bit of a spoiler for that fight.

It is but it's very mild... especially once we knew Lex was also in this film there is no way this was not going to be in the plot in some form.

ghostmind

New modular info... reveal tomorrow or Monday???

The set will be presented on Monday, it contains 2380 pieces and MSRP in France will be 150-160 Euros

It is a corner building, mainly white and grey with sand green windows with a lot of ornaments/details on the facade. It is a Bank with a laundromat next to it.

Inside there is a counter/desk, a safe, offices and a ventilation shaft (useful for robberies..)
There is a lot of detail, looks massive and might look a bit austere/stern

There are 2 levels:

Ground floor, a nice entrance (8 wide) with windows and has superb ornaments on top (Angel wings, micro fig, wolverines claws..). There are some "shop" windows on the left and right of the entrance. The posts are with grey steel bars, to look like a stone facade. There are lamps on the walls and flowers in front of the "shop" windows and a tree not looking ridiculous on the walkway.

On the other side (90 degrees from the 1st one), there are 2 "shop" windows (4 wide each, plus 3 pillars 2 wide, so 14 wide), the rest of the length is used for the laundromat. There is a bench and a street lamp on this part of the walkway.

The higher floor has big columns (2x2 rounded and striped), big sand green windows, rounded on the top with the new rounded windows - 4 wide. The top of the floor moulding is very detailed and nice

On the roof, there is a veranda in bow window style like on Green Grocer where you can see inside the bank. There is a standard office (lamp, writing machine..), and the director's office, much more detailed (Paintings, dark green walls, nice desk..) A bit like the billiard room in the DO.

Note: The use of Nexo Knights shields to make the tiled floor more detailed (45 degrees points)

Is that an underwater port-a-potty???

And if that Supes vs. Bats set is accurate thats a bit of a spoiler for that fight.

You beat me to the port-a-potty joke.
One of the trailers already reveal part of that scene.
Throw on a black version of the Series 13 CMF Galaxy Trooper armor on Batman and suddenly I want it.

That is a must get set for me.

Thanks for the posts Ghostmind!

Rootbeer

Banned
Seasonal is back to animals next year (some pics soon), and then there is this??
Interesting but... I don't really understand what it's supposed to be... huh. Is it supposed to be a generic park setting or is it something more specific.

Seasonal animals... I prefer the minfig sets but I understand, they want to bounce around to keep things fresh. Hope they do a good job with them this year.

Interesting but... I don't really understand what it's supposed to be... huh. Is it supposed to be a generic park setting or is it something more specific.

Seasonal animals... I prefer the minfig sets but I understand, they want to bounce around to keep things fresh. Hope they do a good job with them this year.

I would have guessed generic park as well for Spring or Summer, but the lady has a reporter badge or something. She doesn't seem to fit with the dog and bike.

What's interesting is the hairpiece on the ground. Looks like that statue can also be a girl.

Wow, lots of interesting stuff here.

* Kristoff set is a sure hit for two new characters, and the sled will probably find a place somewhere. A bit of a tease with the storefront, but okay.

* Elsa set is meh. Looks nothing like the castle, no Hans (post-movie?), an Olaf for no particular reason.

* Nexo Knights sure have a few sets that might be worth picking up for parts. An even more balrog looking demon, and DAT MECH!

* Modular sounds awesome, and getting a ton of Nexo shields for detailing is exactly what I wanted to see. They'll probably use the book somewhere too.

* Star Wars remains one of the last outposts for fleshie figures, so I need closer looks to see if there are any new, interesting ones.

* Hmmm... Friends birthday hats. They seem to peg into the hair, but I wonder if there's room inside for the new transparent piece, so you can get them reasonably perched on standard studs as well.

* While those pieces are rather useless overall, that's a cool use of the spiral stairs steps on the Friends stage.

* Is that a half-rounded tile on that box Mixel?

* Let's see some Elves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom