• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbro72

Does anyone know if paying for an order with VIP points will still net you double pts for the whole order right now, or will you only earn the points towards whatever amount you actually pay for after your points are deducted?

I have quite a few built up right now and wondering if it's smarter to use them all during double VIP or if it won't make a difference either way if I wouldn't earn them regardless.

Doc Ock Truck Heist. Why? Because it comes with a bank truck and it could pair well with the Bank modular coming out in January

I like your line of thought. I own this already and it is a fantastic little set. Very dynamic with Doc Oc on top, tearing out the valuables as the truck travels down the road.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Orthanc. One of my most treasured display pieces now :) It looks almost too serious with it's somber and clean design. Helps that it's completely black too of course (Lego Batman would dig it ;)

Does anyone know if paying for an order with VIP points will still net you double pts for the whole order right now, or will you only earn the points towards whatever amount you actually pay for after your points are deducted?

I have quite a few built up right now and wondering if it's smarter to use them all during double VIP or if it won't make a difference either way if I wouldn't earn them regardless.

Don't spend them now. You only will get points for the portion you pay in currency. Save them for something down the line. I always save all year and get a significantly discounted modular when they are released. Looking at you Brick Bank.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

You only get VIP points for the amount you don't pay with VIP points.

Jimbro72

Don't spend them now. You only will get points for the portion you pay in currency. Save them for something down the line. I always save all year and get a significantly discounted modular when they are released. Looking at you Brick Bank.

You only get VIP points for the amount you don't pay with VIP points.

Cool. Thanks. It's what I kind of figured but I also didn't want to pass up using them during this time if it was to my benefit, which, it seems, it is not.

Architecture 2016 prelims:

http://i.imgur.com/6mzFjQJ.png

The skyline sets are amazing - I want them all!

Wow. I don't have a single architecture set (lines have to be drawn somewhere in my collecting) but these look amazing and I might have to jump in with some of these.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mixed feelings on finding out the Christmas set is a kinda repeat.

The Christmas sets are basically the only Lego I buy now so rather sad not to have a new one this year, but at the same time the surface I was using to display them on was getting full. No more room for another set haha.

But in some ways I'd rather they had released the set 100% like the original. The minor differences are not enough to make one want to rebuy it, but at the same time you do feel like you've got a first draft edition.

Guess I'll get birds. Have some VIP points I must spend by the end of the year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
At least New York and Venice skylines for me. I'll retire the old individual skyscrapers to the parts bin. Architecture is a line my wife appreciates too - we are looking at extending the house and she wants to make space for those to be displayed (every other theme is relegated to my study/spare room)

Any more info on the rumoured Big Ben?

ghostmind

Can't find link but new Bionicle poster looks lovely.

Lots of parts in silver n gold

fcLXQtl.jpg

Get it while you can. It won't last long

I just ordered it. I own almost all the LOTR sets (and a handful of the Hobbit), but I've always been reluctant to drop the cash necessary for Orthanc. I guess it hurts a bit less getting $20 back in rewards along with the free Holiday Train, but still.

My other problem is that I don't have a lot of free time, so I usually end up collecting various Lego sets, sit on them for years, planning to eventually open and build when I can make time for it, and then find out that the secondary market price has ballooned to ridiculous amounts. That's part of the reason why I still haven't gotten into modulars. I own both Cafe Corner and Green Grocer minty fresh in box, but they're worth so much now I just need to sell them. #firstworldproblems

Well, I waited until today to get Wall-e and double VIP/Train Set and now Wall-e is out of stock and won't ship until February. That's nuts! Oh well...Hopefully it is worth the wait.

I just ordered it. I own almost all the LOTR sets (and a handful of the Hobbit), but I've always been reluctant to drop the cash necessary for Orthanc. I guess it hurts a bit less getting $20 back in rewards along with the free Holiday Train, but still.

My other problem is that I don't have a lot of free time, so I usually end up collecting various Lego sets, sit on them for years, planning to eventually open and build when I can make time for it, and then find out that the secondary market price has ballooned to ridiculous amounts. That's part of the reason why I still haven't gotten into modulars. I own both Cafe Corner and Green Grocer minty fresh in box, but they're worth so much now I just need to sell them. #firstworldproblems

If it would make you feel better, I will take Cafe Corner and Green Grocer off your hands for MSRP. :)

I cannot aftermarket prices on those.

Markus

I did come home to find some competition in the X-minifigs market from minifigures.com

You can buy there's seperately and it works out the same price as mine combined, mine has a lot more accessories though.

Well, you do know what they say about imitation, eh? ;)

I do think yours show more thought and care into the details as opposed to minifigures.com who are probably just rushing them to market for xmas and the show's upcoming release.

Your figures have much better faces with some life and emotion. The others have an old school lego dead in the eyes look.

The outfits you provided seem much more representative of their appearance through most of the show (I can only remember seeing Fox in a brown suit maybe once). Fox's hair doesn't seem right on theirs, although I think they are using the same piece as you did. Scully is showing way too much cleavage and her hair is too much of a bright orange-red. The colouring for their shoes is a nice detail, I'll give them that, but half-assed only doing the toe and heel.

After considering getting the minifigures.com version over the weekend, I decided they weren't worth it [maybe (BIG MAYBE) if they were in the $25 to 30 range shipped].

Yours are so much nicer. I'm very happy with your design and think they will probably be the best commercial version that we'll get, short of something (that will never) come from LEGO.

Man, I just noticed one of the socket joints on my mixels broke today. This is the first lego piece that has broken for me in a long time, I'm pretty disappointed. Now I'm worried if the others are gonna break. I'm not even sure how it happened. Its not a huge deal cause I have a bunch of spares from the series 1 mixels I bought for that GAF contest over a year ago. But still :/

I dream that one day I'll be in a charity shop or something and there'll be one of these just sat there on a shelf. Or in a dusty back room in a obscure toy shop.

One day.

Yeah i dream that same dream brother... One day!

It will NEVER happen

on a sidenote: i just bit on Mos Eisley Cantina for 65 euro (MSRP seems to be like 80 or even 90 in some places i've seen) It NEVER goes any cheaper so i bit the bullet, fuck it! I need those Bith Musicians, Greedo (it's GREEDO damnit),
and that Sandtrooper looks nice as well! Plus, DAT DEWBACK, and a nice version of Luke's Speeder

Osahi

On a closer look, that venice set seems really small. Part of the textures are 1 x 2 grill pieces. Might be not too expensive (but also maybe less grandiose)

Anyone into LEGO SW needs the Cantina (if not two of them so you can combine and have a full band), so so worth the cost. Great stuff in that set. That Dewback is going to go for some serious cash once it's discontinued.

Hmm i never did the X2 thing so far, are there any known instructions or is there a best way to do this for this set?

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm i never did the X2 thing so far, are there any known instructions or is there a best way to do this for this set?

This might be the closest you can get to instructions:

https://imgur.com/a/kiyjj

two cantinas gets you six band members, two dewbacks (yay!) and the bricks to build out the cantina to be a bit more realistic in size. it's worth doing if it appeals to you.

you'll also find ebay auctions selling the cantina opened with minifigs removed, so you can do it a little cheaper that way as well

Yes, but the old versions aren't that old. They're double dipping already and there's a lot more out there they could have done. I still have the Burj Khalifa from a few years ago sitting out.
Burj Khalifa & Empire State Building are several years old now. Older than most sets. It is an early double dip, but a welcome one since the old models were pretty tame.

FYI, I just got an email from Lego saying that VIP Double Points is extended through the end of October. It will now overlap with the free Star Wars Episode III Poster promo with Star Wars purchase running from October 26th to November 1st, if that does anything for anyone...

Clockwork

Crossposting from OT as it might have more interest here:

Hello all, I am not normally into shameless promotion but I don't think good talent should go unnoticed...

My first cousin once removed is an enthusiastic and passionate film student and aspiring film maker who would like to get some of his work seen by the masses. Since the general NeoGAF demographic would likely be interested in all things Star Wars (or LEGO) I figured I would share his newest work with you. It takes place in the Star Wars universe and was done completely via stop motion animation using LEGO pieces.

If you are like me you should find it quite enjoyable for such a short film.

Check it out:

LEGO Storm Trippin 2: A New Home
Synopsis - After falling in love, two misfits venture through the galaxy in search for a home.

https://youtu.be/fTS0ez47FHE

If you liked it, also feel free to check out his first attempt/prequel here:

LEGO Star Wars: Storm-Trippin'
Synopsis - A story of your not-so-average storm-trooper facing the many trials of training in order to achieve his dream of becoming a real imperial trooper...

https://youtu.be/7SpNHMwwID4

Thanks!

Tendo

Don't know how I'll display it but I got the 4 modular town pieces for my wife for Christmas. Shame we got into the hobby after Town Hall went out of print :(

Maengun1

Dang, waited until today to buy Wall-E and now it says it's out of stock until February O_O. Holiday train screwed me over, lol. Had to buy something else with the Toy Shop to hit my $99.

Those Architecture skyline sets look pretty interesting. Each individual building is so tiny though, not sure how I feel about them. I was kind of hoping for a "normal" sized set of just the Rialto Bridge for Venice.

Orthanc randomly coming back into stock.....arrrgh. I had just kind of accepted I missed the boat on that one, now I've got ANOTHER $200 set tempting me when I was planning to pick up the Ferris Wheel as my final Lego splurge of the year.

Jimbro72

FYI, I just got an email from Lego saying that VIP Double Points is extended through the end of October. It will now overlap with the free Star Wars Episode III Poster promo with Star Wars purchase running from October 26th to November 1st, if that does anything for anyone...

Very interesting. I have the other 5 posters, so it's nice that I'll be getting double VIP points when I go for the last poster later this month. Now to figure out what to do with all these points.

Crossposting from OT as it might have more interest here:

Hello all, I am not normally into shameless promotion but I don't think good talent should go unnoticed...

My first cousin once removed is an enthusiastic and passionate film student and aspiring film maker who would like to get some of his work seen by the masses. Since the general NeoGAF demographic would likely be interested in all things Star Wars (or LEGO) I figured I would share his newest work with you. It takes place in the Star Wars universe and was done completely via stop motion animation using LEGO pieces.

If you are like me you should find it quite enjoyable for such a short film.

Check it out:

If you liked it, also feel free to check out his first attempt/prequel here:

Thanks!

Very cute and funny if not a bit sad. It's great how much emotion he gets out of the minifigs.

Orthanc randomly coming back into stock.....arrrgh. I had just kind of accepted I missed the boat on that one, now I've got ANOTHER $200 set tempting me when I was planning to pick up the Ferris Wheel as my final Lego splurge of the year.

Well, the temptation is gone now, it's sold out.

Thanks to Zulithe and Phon, I've got one coming my way in a few weeks when it ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom