• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
After the hype I went to see what sets I want from the new movie. Of course I want all of them.

But they are priced incredibly high. $80 for Poe's X-Wing?

In comparison to Luke's for $50 (which I got for $35 with a messed up box at Wal-Mart), Poe's is...way too high. I can't justify that.

The only two items I want are the Falcon and Rey's Speeder, the most expensive and least expensive - go figure.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That Rey's Speeder is looking like a shoe-in for my next "looks cool and I can put it on my desk at work without taking up loads of space" after Brent's Tumbler and the Falcon Microfighter.

UK: Sainsbury's toy sale starts tomorrow, 20% off all Lego. Probably not many major deals since that's off RRP and they'll only really have smaller sets, but £1.99 minifigs is probably the cheapest you'll get them this side of Hallowe'en. Mixels at £2.39 puts them right in impulse buy territory as well. Worth a look at least.

teeny

UK: Sainsbury's toy sale starts tomorrow, 20% off all Lego. Probably not many major deals since that's off RRP and they'll only really have smaller sets, but £1.99 minifigs is probably the cheapest you'll get them this side of Hallowe'en. Mixels at £2.39 puts them right in impulse buy territory as well. Worth a look at least.

Balls, I bought some Mixels today for parts. Oh well, I can't moan over a few pence. Thanks for posting :)

ruxtpin

Banned
After the hype I went to see what sets I want from the new movie. Of course I want all of them.

But they are priced incredibly high. $80 for Poe's X-Wing?

In comparison to Luke's for $50 (which I got for $35 with a messed up box at Wal-Mart), Poe's is...way too high. I can't justify that.

I did the same. I was telling myself I was going to wait until after seeing the movie to buy all the sets, but checked last night and they're still sky high. I'm still waiting to make some purchases, but as the newness wears off - a lot of Star Wars sets will hit some kind of discount on Amazon.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm so glad I got all of the TFA 2015 sets out of the way on release day... lol. So many great minifigs. And Poe's X-Wing... unf!!!

Looking forward to getting some of those January sets!

Osahi

I couldn't hold myself and ordered the Falcon and Speeder day one. Now offcourse I can get them with at least 15% off as the toy stores here are starting to go apeshit with their prices now Sinterklaas is coming. I got the Tie for 63 and the X-Wing for 79 (in stead of 89, which is the Euro price). Offcourse there are shops now offering the X for 69, only two weeks after I picked mine up :p

I told myself not to buy anything for the rest of the year, but I can see the prices coming a bit down even further and then it will be hard to hold back :p. As we speak there is a shop offering the Imperial Shuttle for 75 in stead of 109, and I'm seriously on the fence for it. Only thing against it is that you can't display it in flight mode (and I don't have transparant bricks to build a stand)

willp2003

...... Only thing against it is that you can't display it in flight mode (and I don't have transparant bricks to build a stand)

I just used a few black technic beams to create a stand and it doesn't bother me. Due to the height, you'd need a lot of transparent pieces.
It does look much better in flight mode though.

willp2003

This is the only picture I have to hand. It's a bit wobbly and it wouldn't take much to knock it off, but seeing as I live on my own it's not a problem. I should probably take another look to see if I could improve it.
That's two long technic beams up the middle, covered with tiles.

B174B50C-532B-4064-A775-0A37BC8F2A0E_zpsqwmbmolt.jpg

This is the only picture I have to hand. It's a bit wobbly and it wouldn't take much to knock it off, but seeing as I live on my own it's not a problem. I should probably take another look to see if I could improve it.
That's two long technic beams up the middle, covered with tiles.

B174B50C-532B-4064-A775-0A37BC8F2A0E_zpsqwmbmolt.jpg

Looking good. Have you thought about expanding the top some so it is a bigger platform than the two technic beams for it to balance on?

Osahi

Looks good. I don't have spare pieces as i don't tear down sets (yet), but at my parents place we have a huge box full of bricks (with technic stuff too), so if i buy this ship I might just go there for parts

willp2003

Looking good. Have you thought about expanding the top some so it is a bigger platform than the two technic beams for it to balance on?

It's got a 6 wide plate at the top so the shuttle sits on that. It's a compromise between being sturdy and being able to lift it off easily. I'll take another look, as it was a quick job.

I have thought about making stands for a bunch of ships i have numerous times but i haven't actually tried it yet... I feel like the most annoying part would be to find a good spot underneath a ship that would actually balance the whole thing JUST right while being stable.

Osahi

Someone could make decent side hustle money by making clear acrylic stands for Lego.

They actually use something like that in official lego displays in the store. Saw poes x wing and the tie displayed like that yesterday, and thought they should sell those officially.

They actually use something like that in official lego displays in the store. Saw poes x wing and the tie displayed like that yesterday, and thought they should sell those officially.

I got a bunch of clear Technic beams recently. I'll be using those for stands, and maybe replacing some. Why use custom acrylic stuff when there's actually Lego to build from?

I got a bunch of clear Technic beams recently. I'll be using those for stands, and maybe replacing some. Why use custom acrylic stuff when there's actually Lego to build from?

While I admire the creativity of custom lego made display stands, I've always felt they detract a bit from the overall look of the finished model. I assume it's much the same reason that lego does not use them in store displays.

With acrylic you can create stronger, much less intrusive stands.

willp2003

For anyone that may have been interested, I've changed the top of my shuttle stand. Just need to replace the grey part with a black one. It now just sits nicely on top, using the frame of the bottom of the shuttle, and less so on the door that flips down. excuse the crappy mobile pic. The top surfaces are all tiled.

CA7A86D2-F553-49B5-B4AC-956D6EBE7723_zpsxn1vmtpm.jpg

Osahi

While I admire the creativity of custom lego made display stands, I've always felt they detract a bit from the overall look of the finished model. I assume it's much the same reason that lego does not use them in store displays.

I agree. I also think they don't use brick built stands because people would asume the stand is included in the set

Nitemare1

Guys, I came across some money after selling some other Lego (I intended on selling it) and I'm DANGEROUSLY close to breaking my "no Star Wars" rule since I got out back in 2004 and told myself I'd never go back to that theme.

Tell me not to, please. (Side note: I sold the Tower of Orthanc simply because it was just too tall to display and I'm not a huge LOTR Super fan).

I want the UCS Slave 1 and Poe's X-Wing.

halp

The force... It's calling to you...

Just let it in!

Worldwide LEGO shortage forecast

I wonder if it will be worse than last year. Or was that the previous year they had a shortage.

This also can't be good for quality control and is probably at least one of the reasons we've been seeing more quality issues this past year.

If you need sets for XMas, better to buy sooner than later. Star Wars TFA sets are sure to be hot items. I can wait until next year if I miss out.

wetwired

I wonder if it will be worse than last year. Or was that the previous year they had a shortage.

This also can't be good for quality control and is probably at least one of the reasons we've been seeing more quality issues this past year.

If you need sets for XMas, better to buy sooner than later. Star Wars TFA sets are sure to be hot items. I can wait until next year if I miss out.

Damn, I figured I'd jump on a few sets now that I was holding back on, Ant man, Wall-E, Birds and grab a few extra ectos.

All but the antman set are temporarily out of stock!

You guys have already seen him but I did a little teaser for the Cancerman minifig from Waller Customs to go with the new poster just released for the X-files.

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Acrylic-Showcases-Displays/
Also you get wide varieties of stands to fit your need and save your precious bricks for building. They work great for models (I used to build them) and collecting vintage toys (used to do that also).

It was pretty bad last year with huge gaps in the shelves. Guess it's not getting any better. I also guess that stores won't do any huge sales right now and rather take stuff down temporarily, to fill holes with later on.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
You guys have already seen him but I did a little teaser for the Cancerman minifig from Waller Customs to go with the new poster just released for the X-files.

Awesome!
The font in the original poster is Helvetica Light btw, just saying in case you want the posters to look even more alike. I'm a bit of a type nerd :)

I can confirm that the Lego set shortage is really a thing in Europe; TFA sets are becoming increasingly short on supply and will probably be terribly scarce by xmas time. I already got a Poe's XWing, looking to get a SF TIE before they are really hard to find.

teeny

I can confirm that the Lego set shortage is really a thing in Europe; TFA sets are becoming increasingly short on supply and will probably be terribly scarce by xmas time. I already got a Poe's XWing, looking to get a SF TIE before they are really hard to find.

This does worry me. I've been dropping hints left and right for the SO but she doesn't usually start Christmas shopping until mid November. I'm really hoping for the Falcon, Wall-E and Doctor Who. I'm awfully tempted to buy the FA TIE too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom