• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemiMatt

I finally got my Christmas decorations in!

Had to splurge on Winter Village Market since it was still at a semi buyable price (only 20 above MSRP!). Debating on buying the Detective Agency because of the double points & holiday train set . . . . life decisions are so hard!

R0x-ewCYcx4X6alOP-fLUDAVNtR5fS2rtUpXsDrxjyiSlzgbXWeTS3-gJlJLPyLIngBtNltDhOG8RZA-L6KYZVXZsPJOAsnfcIxhKWo7xkvpPanC45ygx_GQhwHxFYg-WF60oFYIsQTP0DucW-yB9dqUpwWvPJGpN_jzw6WgfFKaoVR7vc325yzwG0V2vxwkDODnrZHyuz2kkqd3UTAuw2sUzMVk5Giz00UpYxnB-EaIq5zI0tZnsKgMnQHktW4kdaV0mW6hXpWujRhSV4y5ikHY9MZ1hqu3W9PbrCBs8HgHvZR2prLUjCT9yxgLqvyIu8K2tkTJLyb0w_9scFv4sQ9nMe5YwBzd7ClHkEYkhVPS1jCVhNtP3TaZQPH3yEKUVrTioC5AHeeyriCLAXzy--bxCHN0qysfUN2O-85NwC7hUX6HGoab8uCfQfm97a8kvxOrh6PUxMeHi67pbpZwlYklonqGrjn_C1Y0EQD3UlYqW-rJAElRgMuXFbCVBRdyng40t48QJAQ5eQB55Hc4T96R44OOGsf13TREAH7Wfb7l=w2386-h1342-no

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Depends on how many LEGO has made in advance for all of their retail channels.

Star Wars is going to be red-hot heading into Christmas, so my recommendation is to get what you want now.

Yeah, I'm going to have to pick up my Falcon a lot sooner than I thought. Which is not really a bad thing :)

Ponn

Banned
So do we think Tumbler will make it past the holidays? It suffered from the shortage last year and I just feel like its about to disappear. Im still on the fence about, Tumbler wasnt my favorite design but i would hate regretting not getting it a couple years from now. Im trying to decide what to get for brickfriday now. The new Star Wars sets may be hard to find during the holidays but its not like they are going to be retired that quick so some older sets should take priority. I feel like I should get Slave-1 before the Millennium Falcon for instance.

I already have my hulk minifig from the keychain so im not going to gout of my way for that hulk polybag. Not crazy about his peasoup green color or bicycle hotpants.

So do we think Tumbler will make it past the holidays? It suffered from the shortage last year and I just feel like its about to disappear. Im still on the fence about, Tumbler wasnt my favorite design but i would hate regretting not getting it a couple years from now. Im trying to decide what to get for brickfriday now. The new Star Wars sets may be hard to find during the holidays but its not like they are going to be retired that quick so some older sets should take priority. I feel like I should get Slave-1 before the Millennium Falcon for instance.

I want both the Tumbler and Slave I, but after dropping $200 on Orthanc, I know I'll feel guilty if I do it...

Ponn

Banned
I want both the Tumbler and Slave I, but after dropping $200 on Orthanc, I know I'll feel guilty if I do it...

I LOVE my Orthanc. I even got some wall shelves and the smallest one worked perfect for it and it looks so ominous on my wall.

Ive heard the consensus is that the slave 1 is an awesome build and Tumbler is just ok but im a bigger Batman fan than Star Wars and I just have this feeling Tumbler doesnt have much longer but Slave 1 probably has at least another year.

Interesting Kickstarter from BrickForge.

I have mixed feeling about such specialized parts. On one hand it takes away from imagination and creativity of using existing parts. On the other hand it could look really cool being closer to the actual source material.

Anyway, for those that may be interested:

Brick to the Future Minifig Accessories

vimKq2Y.png

I LOVE my Orthanc. I even got some wall shelves and the smallest one worked perfect for it and it looks so ominous on my wall.

Ive heard the consensus is that the slave 1 is an awesome build and Tumbler is just ok but im a bigger Batman fan than Star Wars and I just have this feeling Tumbler doesnt have much longer but Slave 1 probably has at least another year.

I just got my Orthanc from FedEx this morning, along with the free holiday train. S@H used the biggest possible box to ship the thing, it was outrageous. At least 4 Orthancs could have fit in that box!

I'm a big Batfan and Star Wars fan, so it's difficult for me to choose between the Tumbler and Slave I. Slave I was super impressive though when I saw it displayed at my Lego store a while ago (sadly they took it down within the last few weeks). I may go Tumbler first, just because it could retire soon, and hold off on Slave I until 2016. I've spent way too much on Lego lately...

Ponn

Banned
When is Brick Friday? And does anyone know if TRU outside the US has those offers?

Black friday is the 27th of Nov. Dont know about TRU outside of NA. I know the polybags that get released in EU in weird ways like newspapers end up as TRU exclusive polybags here so they dont usually match up. I also remember Lego stores in EU having better brickfriday deals than NA the last couple years.

wetwired

Interesting Kickstarter from BrickForge.

I have mixed feeling about such specialized parts. On one hand it takes away from imagination and creativity of using existing parts. On the other hand it could look really cool being closer to the actual source material.

Anyway, for those that may be interested:

Brick to the Future Minifig Accessories

vimKq2Y.png

Tempting, mainly for all the science gear, labcoats and hazmat helmets. I'd probably just go for the $50 tier

trozkd

Neo Member
LOL. Where are those from?

Took a chance from one of the Chinese sellers. First time trying it, thought why not, curiosity more than anything. The tiny rexes had me cracking up when I saw them. Also grabbed the mini modular sets since I missed those when available and they're waaaay over what I'd pay for them on the aftermarket.

It is almost November, and barring the impending Doctor Who release, that means we have had all the 2015 sets released now, correct?

Perhaps a time for many of us to ponder how top 5 or 10 lists for the year? It might help some Brick Friday shopping in a few weeks.

Taisaijin

Also grabbed the mini modular sets since I missed those when available and they're waaaay over what I'd pay for them on the aftermarket.

Are they? Seeing this set commonly sold on eBay for around $100.. 20 over msrp isn't exactly extortion or worth buying a knock-off for (imo.)

trozkd

Neo Member
Are they? Seeing this set commonly sold on eBay for around $100.. 20 over msrp isn't exactly extortion or worth buying a knock-off for (imo.)
Hmm, when I ordered these I was seeing $150 or so. Yeah, $100 would be reasonable enough. Time for the guilt to set in.

Ponn

Banned
It is almost November, and barring the impending Doctor Who release, that means we have had all the 2015 sets released now, correct?

Perhaps a time for many of us to ponder how top 5 or 10 lists for the year? It might help some Brick Friday shopping in a few weeks.

2015 released sets?

1. Ninjago Attack of Morro Dragon - Ninjago was really on fire this year, you couldnt go wrong with any of the sets. This one is tops on the list for me just edging out Wu's dragon. The price vs piece count is just awesome. All the unique pieces, awesome colors, dragon wings and mini figs just make it a goldmine. I cant splooge enough about this set and everyone should at least get this set from this year.

2. Detectives Office - I mean, who doesn't know about this set?

3 Wall-E - DESPITE the neck issue this was just one hell of a charming set. Its also one of those sets that reach out to everyone and gets people talking about Lego. "Is that Wall-E? Wow is that made out of Lego?!"

4. Mixels - This is a cheap enough line where you can just say all of them. They were still going strong this year and consistently brought a smile to my face pack after pack. If I had to pick one tribe that stood out as my favorite this year it would be the Glowkies. Those little guys still stare at me every night from my shelf after i turn off the lights. What are they thinking? What are they planning?

5. Ferris Wheel - This set is just something else. Its fun to build and if you have kids its fun for the whole family. Its huge, its charming and whimsical and just really stands for everything Lego. The only negative is the footprint being huge and the base not being solid for moving it.

Honorable Mention

Shield Helicarrier- Its lacking solid figs, its expensive and its price to piece ratio is awful. Damn is it a thing of beauty sitting on my dresser though.

Ant-Man battle set - It's $20, it comes with 3 excellent exclusive figs, a giant ant and awesome giant Lego pieces made from Lego pieces. It's an impulse buy, just get it.

Just bought Santas Workshop with double points and the holiday train, not bad for £60 I reckon the train is well worth £5 or so even if it is small.

I was undecided about whether to buy it but decided it would be a nice Christmas tradition to start!

Hopefully the toy shop will still be available next test anyway as someone said previously.

Off to Sainsburys (supermarket in uk) st lunch to check out their toy sale but not expecting much

teeny

Just bought Santas Workshop with double points and the holiday train, not bad for £60 I reckon the train is well worth £5 or so even if it is small.

I was undecided about whether to buy it but decided it would be a nice Christmas tradition to start!

Hopefully the toy shop will still be available next test anyway as someone said previously.

Off to Sainsburys (supermarket in uk) st lunch to check out their toy sale but not expecting much

Mine had nothing of value except some City stuff, Star Wars Microfighters and a few bags of older Mixels. Though the discount applied to the collectable mini figures, so there is that.

teeny

I'll check the Preston one it's a decent size, not just looking for Lego so it's worth a look

Ah yeah, the Preston one is pretty big, definitely bigger than my two (if it's the one I remember).

I still check the toy aisle every time I pop in even though I know what they have stocked!

willp2003

Asda have got wall-e in stock, so just order it to your nearest store.
My sainsburys (Lancaster) doesn't have a huge range, so not expecting much from there

teeny

Not too much here although they have ant man final battle and Reys speeder for £16 each which is tempting

Ant Man is a great set, I love the giant ant. I'm trying to resist the Marvel and DC stuff because I prefer the Creator, Ideas and Star Wars lines, but will always make exceptions for my favourites. I hope to add the '66 Batmobile to my collection someday :)

Ant Man is a great set, I love the giant ant. I'm trying to resist the Marvel and DC stuff because I prefer the Creator, Ideas and Star Wars lines, but will always make exceptions for my favourites. I hope to add the '66 Batmobile to my collection someday :)
You should be able to add it next year.

Why are you posting a Mega Blox set in this thread?

Wait? The Holiday Train is now avaialble!? I made my order yesterday. :( Maybe I'll cancel it since it's not shipped out yet.

I legitimately laughed.

The Holiday Train has been available for a few weeks. Mine arrived with the Thanksgiving Feast yesterday....sadly the new X Wing I ordered with it has been delayed.

That Fortrex set looks like it has a ton of play value for the kids.

peely

Neo Member
Asda have got wall-e in stock, so just order it to your nearest store.
My sainsburys (Lancaster) doesn't have a huge range, so not expecting much from there

Sainsbury's in Lancaster brings back memories. Went to University there (15 odd years ago) so it was the weekly Saturday shop. Fun times :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Holiday Train has been available for a few weeks. Mine arrived with the Thanksgiving Feast yesterday....sadly the new X Wing I ordered with it has been delayed.

I'm in the UK and it wasn't available yesterday, only some Star Wars posters. Since I ordered The Birds that are not due till 2nd November I should be OK with reordering. Will see when I get back home.

Usually I'd wait till the last day on x2 VIP but with The Birds constantly being pushed back I thought I'd get them before it was too late.

teeny

I legitimately laughed.

That Fortrex set looks like it has a ton of play value for the kids.

Not in the EU, unfortunately, that came out today.

Miss out on the bat last year? Check Wal Mart. I saw this this morning.

That's a pretty cute set. I wonder when my sister is visiting the US next...

Looks like I got my Wall E order in just in time, it's temporarily out of stock again! Hopefully my order is not delayed.

teeny

Whoops, sorry. Hope you both are able to get what you're after in light of the suspected delays.

No worries, thanks :)

Is this the first time there have been delays like this? I keep reading stuff about delays, massive demand and a decrease in quality, but I haven't noticed because I only really started collecting Lego in earnest this year. Is it like this every holiday? Has the quality noticeably dropped? Compared to the stuff I got as a kid in the 90s, the stuff today is fantastic. The printing on minifigs is excellent and really varied. The sets themselves seem much more intricate and less cobbled together. Even the instructions are clearer and better laid out. Everything just seems better designed in general.

No worries, thanks :)

Is this the first time there have been delays like this? I keep reading stuff about delays, massive demand and a decrease in quality, but I haven't noticed because I only really started collecting Lego in earnest this year. Is it like this every holiday? Has the quality noticeably dropped? Compared to the stuff I got as a kid in the 90s, the stuff today is fantastic. The printing on minifigs is excellent and really varied. The sets themselves seem much more intricate and less cobbled together. Even the instructions are clearer and better laid out. Everything just seems better designed in general.

I only got back into it in 2013, but there has certainly been a decline in the quality and quality control of the bricks. You can really notice deviations in the color - like the bricks used in the Simpsons House.

Not sure about shortages or how common they are.

teeny

I only got back into it in 2013, but there has certainly been a decline in the quality and quality control of the bricks. You can really notice deviations in the color - like the bricks used in the Simpsons House.

Not sure about shortages or how common they are.

That's a shame - IMO the quality needs to remain consistently high as standard in order maintain their reputation. Hopefully these new factories / expansions will prevent them from spreading themselves too thinly. I certainly have not noticed anything like deviations in colour *, but then I haven't bought any large sets where it might be noticeable beyond the Parisian Restaurant.

* Except for the EPVII 3PO head vs body.

Well, I've done it. I've reached twat-level: maximum.

Just spent far, far too much money on a modular Town Hall. It's as cheap as I'll ever get it, I think, but still way more than I should have spent.

Oh well, at least now I have every modular from the Fire Brigade onwards so all the gaps in my collection are just the first three at the beginning.

Still, for fuck's sake. I never should have bought that bloody Detective's Office. I was fine before I built that. I WAS FINE.

teeny

Well, I've done it. I've reached twat-level: maximum.

Just spent far, far too much money on a modular Town Hall. It's as cheap as I'll ever get it, I think, but still way more than I should have spent.

Oh well, at least now I have every modular from the Fire Brigade onwards so all the gaps in my collection are just the first three at the beginning.

Still, for fuck's sake. I never should have bought that bloody Detective's Office. I was fine before I built that. I WAS FINE.

You weren't fine. You only thought you were fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom