• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll place mine alongside the road, at the end of my modular street so I can both look at the front and open it up (once I clear the street in front of it, I guess). It won't have the facade along the same street as all the modulars but it will still fit in nicely, and all those ghost mounts (and additions) will keep it plenty busy. I'm happy to get a building that's really good for placing figures on.

And it's freaking Ghostbusters! Ghostbusters! This is nine-year-old-me's greatest dream come true! I always wanted the Ecto-1 one, now I got it. I always wanted the Firehouse, soon I'll have it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Really tempting time to get Star Wars sets right now. I got Poe's X-Wing and was very impressed by it... So I got more. 2014 Star Destroyer is mine and the imperial shuttle Tydirium is coming soon. I love how the latter one looks tbh, can't wait to make that.

A store here not only had the cheapest prices on Lego around, but also had a general -15% discount. I got the Star Destroyer for €100 and the Tydirium for €67 (!). These are usually priced a lot higher. I'm even tempted to get the First Order TIE (€55) and the Death Star Final Duel. I watched a review of that and lawd... that set looks just about perfect. The minifigs, the traps/details in the set... Tie Advanced Prototype also looks pretty good. I want to get the Falcon at one point as well, but I'll wait a bit since I just got a huge set with the Destroyer. Slave 1's priced at €145, also tempting.

Really looking forward to building the Destroyer and Imperial Shuttle.

ghostmind

TRU Canada (Oct. 30 to Nov. 5):

knveXSG.jpg

Also, LEGO Movie sets at 20% off.

My Santa workshop and train arrived today

Train box is bigger than I was expecting for a freebie.

My son wanted to open them but holding off till December, can't wait hope it's a fun build.

Ponn

Banned
The purple banshee....I mean ghost is great. LEGO is making good re-use of the new Ninjago parts.

LOL

We haven't seen it's opened up form yet. Just Sayin'

It's final form is a golden Ghostbusters Headquarters.

I love the new ghost minifig legs, I think thats my favorite new piece they did this year and open alot of fig possibilities.

I'm going to integrate it into my modular street. I'd also like to include Arkham if I can get around to modding it, and the Haunted House might still be separate, but still off to the side.

With two fire stations on the street, I think we are due for a modular police station sometime soon - I'm sure LEGO has been itching to do that one.

That Arkham Asylum mod someone did in this thread is really cool. I still don't feel it fits into a modular street though. The Asylum has always been just one of those big complexes out in the middle of nowhere away from population. The GB HQ though really fits in and i'm glad it turned out like that.

I have a bad feeling about the set though being sold out right away. I'm already calculating and finding a way to have the $350 ready on Jan 1st at midnight. I feel its going to sell out quick and be a Tumbler situation like last year where the restock will take awhile. They keep talking about Lego shortages and I feel all their resources are going to go towards Star Wars with Force Awakens coming out in Dec. On top of that its a huge set and they probably make less of them already as is.

TheFuzz

It's final form is a golden Ghostbusters Headquarters.

I love the new ghost minifig legs, I think thats my favorite new piece they did this year and open alot of fig possibilities.

That Arkham Asylum mod someone did in this thread is really cool. I still don't feel it fits into a modular street though. The Asylum has always been just one of those big complexes out in the middle of nowhere away from population. The GB HQ though really fits in and i'm glad it turned out like that.

I have a bad feeling about the set though being sold out right away. I'm already calculating and finding a way to have the $350 ready on Jan 1st at midnight. I feel its going to sell out quick and be a Tumbler situation like last year where the restock will take awhile. They keep talking about Lego shortages and I feel all their resources are going to go towards Star Wars with Force Awakens coming out in Dec. On top of that its a huge set and they probably make less of them already as is.

That was my AA modular, but yes, I agree. The architecture just doesn't belong in a city block. Never mind it's full of criminals. I've also planned on doing a "Gotham PD" modular like someone else mentioned, but that'll be down the road.

The thing about the HQ is that, as much as I love it, the outside isn't very exciting to look at and I won't be opening it or playing with it. Maybe I will crack.

Ponn

Banned
That was my AA modular, but yes, I agree. The architecture just doesn't belong in a city block. Never mind it's full of criminals. I've also planned on doing a "Gotham PD" modular like someone else mentioned, but that'll be down the road.

The thing about the HQ is that, as much as I love it, the outside isn't very exciting to look at and I won't be opening it or playing with it. Maybe I will crack.

Ah ok, yea it looked awesome. It's just the whole gate and truck for off-loading criminals thing does work better as a standalone complex to me. Now a Gotham PD, wow that does sound awesome and I was just thinking about a normal PD. Now I hope they do a PD modular next and I will change it quick to Gotham PD with Bat Signal on top.

wetwired

Hold on. Does that mean it's based on Wetwired's which was rejected? Does he get a cut? This is big if Idea sets can go past the $100+ price point.
Lots of questions on this, I have.

Where in the world is Wetwired?

Well considering I've not been contacted about this, nor has Sergio Hernancias that raises more questions to me as to why it's labelled "Ideas" the set number doesn't correspond to ideas set patterns either

We need Scooby Doo and the gang to solve this mystery.

I think it has to be an error of some sort. The set should not be an Ideas set unless it is approved as one. To do otherwise undermines LEGO Ideas.

Ponn

Banned
I voiced my concern earlier in the year about Ideas turning kind of shady by rejecting certain projects then making "official" sets very similar. This really does look a lot like that Ideas set Ghostmind linked and if it opens up the same way that will be really, really shitty on Lego's part if that creator doesn't get recognition or a cut.

Maybe because Ghostbusters started as Ideas originally? I don't know.

For all we know, the guy who puts it up on S@H doesn't know where to put it, and just assumes it's an Ideas set because Ecto-1 was an Ideas set. The numbering of the set is a pretty good indication Lego isn't treating it as an Ideas set.

I voiced my concern earlier in the year about Ideas turning kind of shady by rejecting certain projects then making "official" sets very similar. This really does look a lot like that Ideas set Ghostmind linked and if it opens up the same way that will be really, really shitty on Lego's part if that creator doesn't get recognition or a cut.

I agree, but I give LEGO the benefit of doubt because it could very well be something that was in the works behind the scenes prior to the LEGO Ideas submission.

Who knows how long LEGO has been working on some ideas especially when LEGO Dimensions has been in the works for awhile. Only people that would know for sure are insiders though.

I hope LEGO comes out with an official statement about this.

For all we know, the guy who puts it up on S@H doesn't know where to put it, and just assumes it's an Ideas set because Ecto-1 was an Ideas set. The numbering of the set is a pretty good indication Lego isn't treating it as an Ideas set.

Agreed. It could have been a mistake on website. Will wait before rioting.

Ponn

Banned
I agree, but I give LEGO the benefit of doubt because it could very well be something that was in the works behind the scenes prior to the LEGO Ideas submission.

Who knows how long LEGO has been working on some ideas especially when LEGO Dimensions has been in the works for awhile. Only people that would know for sure are insiders though.

I hope LEGO comes out with an official statement about this.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, they are one of the few companies that seem to do well meaning things and aren't "evil". I just feel the Idea's line is really exploitable and this set is really, really close to that Ideas set. If it opens up like Sergio's set i'm calling shenanigans.

wetwired

Here's my thoughts on the matter...

We've seen in previous instances (UCS Helicarrier) where LEGO has released a product that was rejected from LEGO Ideas prior. LEGO sets take upwards of 6 months to develop from conception to final product and that's multiplied for larger sets. So in the case of the helicarrier I give LEGO the benefit of the doubt that they had already been working on it behind the scenes and unfortunately for the LEGO helicarrier ideas submission, it conflicted with that.

Now in this instance you have my own firehouse in my original submission and the more detailed version with a full interior from Sergio Hernancias. As much as I'd love to take credit for it, mine was kinda phoned in, no interior, only a facade. I didn't really intend for it to be taken seriously as part of the submission (though I wouldn't have complained if they did) I felt it was more a background element of the submission, something to boost the presentation.

That leaves Sergios, which is more direct ideas submission, this IS the firehouse with a detailed interior. It did reach 10k and was unfortunately rejected.

Here's how I see it playing out.

My ideas project gets made, sales go very well and LEGO sees lots of people commenting on the lack of the firehouse from the submission.

They crunch the numbers (if we sold X ectomobile sets, we might expect say 1% of those people to buy a firehouse, OK it's financially viable). That combined with a new Ghostbusters movie coming out in 2016, it makes perfect sense to greenlight the set.

They start the design process for the firehouse, now keep in mind this is the 3rd largest LEGO set ever created. That would have some effect on how long it would take to develop. During this time Sergio submits his Firehouse to ideas.

Development on the set is continuing and the firehouse reaches 10k.

LEGO is in a difficult position where they can't approve it knowing full well they're already working on one. And they can't reveal that fact to the project creator without the risk of leaking information (as we've seen is a huge issue for them lately)

I don't really know what the solution is to be honest, if the decision was made pre-sergios ideas project it makes it difficult to justify getting him involved. I guess the best you could ask for is sending him a set or 2 (I'll have one too please :p)

Now I can forsee this happening again. With the new movie coming out I have heard rumours of sets coming out to accompany it, they'd be crazy not to. If they're getting the license it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't put out further, smaller sets from the old movies, maybe something with Vigo and GB2 dark grey suits and slime blowers and what I think will effect me, a small (maybe hulkbuster sized) stay puft set with gozer and some marshmallowed Ghostbusters variants. Why do I think this? it makes no sense to me to ommit Gozer from the firehouse in favour of a zombie taxi driver. My marshmallow man is under review at the moment and could very easily conflict with an upcoming set for next year and be rejected. Plus I think mine is too large to be seriously considered, but I think it's far more likely there's already stuff in the works. Between the Firehouse set and the Dimensions inclusion, they're sinking too much dough into the Ghostbusters franchise to only have a firehouse and Ecto1 set on the shelves.

Here's my thoughts on the matter...

We've seen in previous instances (UCS Helicarrier) where LEGO has released a product that was rejected from LEGO Ideas prior. LEGO sets take upwards of 6 months to develop from conception to final product and that's multiplied for larger sets. So in the case of the helicarrier I give LEGO the benefit of the doubt that they had already been working on it behind the scenes and unfortunately for the LEGO helicarrier ideas submission, it conflicted with that.

Now in this instance you have my own firehouse in my original submission and the more detailed version with a full interior from Sergio Hernancias. As much as I'd love to take credit for it, mine was kinda phoned in, no interior, only a facade. I didn't really intend for it to be taken seriously as part of the submission (though I wouldn't have complained if they did) I felt it was more a background element of the submission, something to boost the presentation.

That leaves Sergios, which is more direct ideas submission, this IS the firehouse with a detailed interior. It did reach 10k and was unfortunately rejected.

Here's how I see it playing out.

My ideas project gets made, sales go very well and LEGO sees lots of people commenting on the lack of the firehouse from the submission.

They crunch the numbers (if we sold X ectomobile sets, we might expect say 1% of those people to buy a firehouse, OK it's financially viable). That combined with a new Ghostbusters movie coming out in 2016, it makes perfect sense to greenlight the set.

They start the design process for the firehouse, now keep in mind this is the 3rd largest LEGO set ever created. That would have some effect on how long it would take to develop. During this time Sergio submits his Firehouse to ideas.

Development on the set is continuing and the firehouse reaches 10k.

LEGO is in a difficult position where they can't approve it knowing full well they're already working on one. And they can't reveal that fact to the project creator without the risk of leaking information (as we've seen is a huge issue for them lately)

I don't really know what the solution is to be honest, if the decision was made pre-sergios ideas project it makes it difficult to justify getting him involved. I guess the best you could ask for is sending him a set or 2 (I'll have one too please :p)

Now I can forsee this happening again. With the new movie coming out I have heard rumours of sets coming out to accompany it, they'd be crazy not to. If they're getting the license it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't put out further, smaller sets from the old movies, maybe something with Vigo and GB2 dark grey suits and slime blowers and what I think will effect me, a small (maybe hulkbuster sized) stay puft set with gozer and some marshmallowed Ghostbusters variants. Why do I think this? it makes no sense to me to ommit Gozer from the firehouse in favour of a zombie taxi driver. My marshmallow man is under review at the moment and could very easily conflict with an upcoming set for next year and be rejected. Plus I think mine is too large to be seriously considered, but I think it's far more likely there's already stuff in the works. Between the Firehouse set and the Dimensions inclusion, they're sinking too much dough into the Ghostbusters franchise to only have a firehouse and Ecto1 set on the shelves.
Good write up, and echoes my thoughts on the matter. The bolded sentence particularly.

Product development on anything takes a long time, and especially something that is using a licensed property, as there are additional hurdles to jump through.

namtab37

Neo Member
Details as I get them:

RTEvCYn.jpg

q2E6hWD.jpg

75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters
4,634 pieces.
US $349.99 - CA $399.99 - DE 349.99€ - UK £274.99 - DK 2999.00 DKK
Available January 1st.

Get ready to bust some ghosts at the Firehouse Headquarters!
Recreate iconic Ghostbusters™ scenes with the 2-story Firehouse Headquarters, featuring laboratory, living quarters, containment unit and much more. Capture the ghosts with the proton packs and restore order, or solve other supernatural cases! Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Library Ghost and Zombie Driver.
• Includes 9 minifigures: Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler, Winston Zeddemore, Janine Melnitz, Dana Barrett, Louis Tully, Zombie Driver and Library Ghost.
• Also comes with Slimer, Pink Ghost and Blue Ghost.
• Slide the Ghostbusters™ heroes down the fire pole into action.
• Chase the ghosts and secure them in the containment unit.
• Turn the librarian old lady into a scary ghost with the double-sided face and extra wig!
• Run tests on Louis in the lab to see if he’s possessed!
• Suspend ghosts around the building’s exterior with attachable transparent arms.
• Dodge the slime oozing up through cracks in the pavement.
• Accessory elements include an alarm bell, fire extinguisher, computer, phone, toolbox, tools, jars of slimes, magnifying glass, camera, camera rolls, arcade game, toaster with slime, fridge with frozen pizza, milk and cheese, and much more!
• Features opening walls for easy play access.
• Ghostbusters™ minifigures come with decorated arms.
• Measures over 14” (36cm) high, 9” (25cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
• With walls opened out, measures over 14” (36cm) high, 18” (46 cm) wide and 14” (38cm) deep.
• Firehouse Headquarters doors can open to fit the 21108 LEGO® Ideas Ghostbusters Ecto-1 inside!
Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning January 2016 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone:

TadDYOj.jpg

It's a Bessa set!
I love the set.. A little disappointed that the ghostbusters sign is a sticker :-(

Ponn

Banned
Son of a....I just realized the Bank comes out on Jan 1st too. Why would they do that to us, whyyy??!!

my wallet
FW7EBN4.jpg

Just finish us off and release Echo Base on Jan. 1st while you're at it.

I love the set.. A little disappointed that the ghostbusters sign is a sticker :-(

Dead horses etc.. but not even printed GB signage?? Even the WV Toy Shop re-release got a new double sided print.

SERIOUSLY

The $50 car had printed pieces but heaven forbid the 4,600+ piece $350 set have them.

It's even a 2x2 surface, just like the car (only not a slope, obviously). I cannot fathom why they did that.

I can't wait to see the inside though.

About to head to the Lego store but.... lately i really don't know what to get anymore even WITH 2 X VIP since pretty much everything can be found cheaper elsewhere now.

Anyone know of a couple things that are TRULY store exclusive then?
I really want to get that holiday train but not at the cost of paying more for the same sets i can get cheaper elsewhere.

Rootbeer

Banned
if the rumors of a LEGO Ghostbusters 2016 movie license are true, then I think a LEGO Ghostbusters videogame is looking more and more likely all the time.

The game could feature Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (classic) and the new 2016 Ghostbusters, essentially a 'trilogy' and we know they like to do games based on 3 or 4 films to provide lots of content options.

Hope it happens!

Again with the sticker outrage. It has nothing to do with the size and cost of the set, but rather with production. They are definitely making more Ecto-1s than firehouses, and each car has four (?) printed slopes while the firehouse possibly only needs two tiles. That's probably the reason. Sure, it's a cost-saving factor, but not doing that almost killed Lego 15 years ago.

teeny

Looks like those Toys R Us mini town modular sets have made their way to the UK (and EU? - not sure). They're showing a price of £14.99 on the website, but you cannot add them to the basket at the moment.

I really like them but they cost a lot for what they are. I probably have a lot of those parts, or close enough.

if the rumors of a LEGO Ghostbusters 2016 movie license are true, then I think a LEGO Ghostbusters videogame is looking more and more likely all the time.

The game could feature Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (classic) and the new 2016 Ghostbusters, essentially a 'trilogy' and we know they like to do games based on 3 or 4 films to provide lots of content options.

Hope it happens!

I would like that very much. I picked up Lego Batman 3 on a whim the other day - the last time I played a Lego game it was Star Wars OT. On that note, it would be cool to get another Lego Star Wars game for the new film(s).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I would like that very much. I picked up Lego Batman 3 on a whim the other day - the last time I played a Lego game it was Star Wars OT. On that note, it would be cool to get another Lego Star Wars game for the new film(s).

I think there'll definitely be a new Lego Star Wars game. It's where the whole series began after all. I just wonder whether it'll be another Hobbit situation where they wait for the first two films to be released with the third coming as DLC at a later date (or never in the case of The Hobbit). A Lego Ghostbusters game would be fantastic too, although there's not a huge number of characters to switch between, which might cause issues. A big part of the games is having different abilities to switch between and I'm not sure how that would work in that case.

teeny

I think there'll definitely be a new Lego Star Wars game. It's where the whole series began after all. I just wonder whether it'll be another Hobbit situation where they wait for the first two films to be released with the third coming as DLC at a later date (or never in the case of The Hobbit). A Lego Ghostbusters game would be fantastic too, although there's not a huge number of characters to switch between, which might cause issues. A big part of the games is having different abilities to switch between and I'm not sure how that would work in that case.

A part of me would like the game after the first film with additional DLC for the others in the sequel trilogy later down the line, as well as DLC for the Anthology (are the spin offs still called that?) films.

But then when I really think about it, a game at the end of the ST would probably be best. I wonder if they will do a collection of all Lego SW games one day.

I don't really get how ghost busters could work, but I'm sure they will find a way. I guess it depends on the content of the new films? I haven't really been following the news.

wetwired

I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen the reports of this Ai Weiwei guy asking for donations of LEGO because LEGO themselves wouldn't supply him with parts for his art.

It's rubbed a few of us the wrong way here in Australia so we're starting a bit of a drive to take donations for lego to give to people who could actually use it like kids. It's really only starting but we're taking donations of sealed sets to distribute to childrens hospitals in our major cities. I'm not asking any of you to donate to us but if any of you feel like taking up the cause in your local city I think it'd be both fun and a worthy cause.

gerg

I'm not sure if any of you guys have seen the reports of this Ai Weiwei guy asking for donations of LEGO because LEGO themselves wouldn't supply him with parts for his art.

It's rubbed a few of us the wrong way here in Australia so we're starting a bit of a drive to take donations for lego to give to people who could actually use it like kids. It's really only starting but we're taking donations of sealed sets to distribute to childrens hospitals in our major cities. I'm not asking any of you to donate to us but if any of you feel like taking up the cause in your local city I think it'd be both fun and a worthy cause.

Why is Ai Weiwei's intended use of LEGO any less meaningful than yours? Originally he wasn't even going to ask for donations, but was going to pay LEGO directly for the parts himself. Even then, I believe, people spontaneously offered to donate bricks to him.

In any case, your donation drive is also a good idea which I'm certain will have a great impact on however many people you're able to help, so good luck with that as well.

wetwired

Why is Ai Weiwei's intended use of LEGO any less meaningful than yours? Originally he wasn't even going to ask for donations, but was going to pay LEGO directly for the parts himself. Even then, I believe, people spontaneously offered to donate bricks to him.

In any case, your donation drive is also a good idea which I'm certain will have a great impact on however many people you're able to help, so good luck with that as well.

I think what rubbed me the wrong way about it was his rejection was basically used a publicity topic. Stir up controversy for the sake of calling attention to himself. Then the recent articles about "Ai Weiwei's First International Lego Collection Point" again piggybacking on his rejection as a way to promote himself and his art. When I saw that myself and a few other people in my LUG felt that donations like that could go to a more worthy cause.

gerg

I think what rubbed me the wrong way about it was his rejection was basically used a publicity topic. Stir up controversy for the sake of calling attention to himself. Then the recent articles about "Ai Weiwei's First International Lego Collection Point" again piggybacking on his rejection as a way to promote himself and his art. When I saw that myself and a few other people in my LUG felt that donations like that could go to a more worthy cause.

So he's not allowed to publically post his disagreement with a company's (possibly disagreeable) policies, and then to promote his own methods of producing his work?

Ai Weiwei is already incredibly renowned and famous enough; I think you'd have to be pretty cynical to suggest that he wouldn't have preferred to have LEGO very simply and easily sell him the bricks.

And, hey, as was suggested in the article you linked, the alternative could be to have gone and placed an order with Mega Bloks instead!

He's an artist, generating publicity is about 95% of his job!

To be fair though, anything that helps get Lego to good causes can't be a bad outcome.

I have an idea. Art within art. Those that are not happy with Ai WeiWei can protest by donating bricks to his cause. You're probably thinkin "What?!?" Just make sure the bricks are the ones that are made in China that are made by companies that freely violate copyright, trademark, IP, and/or patent laws. It will be a political statement on how some governments don't play by the rules and steal intellectual property (what artist would like their ideas and works stolen?). So whatever his creation, if some clone bricks make it into it, it will make another statement about stolen IP and about not being happy with Ai WeiWei's.

Here is the catch. Single bricks or batches completely made of clone bricks can easily be separated. It would be best to send some legit ones and toss in a few clone bricks.

R-User!

I'm excited to see the inside, but I'm definitely on the "I think I'd just buy two modulars instead" side of things right now. Or "dump that money into bricklinking Town Hall/Green Grocer/Haunted House," maybe.

Though I've still never watched ghostbusters. If I do get it it'll be to have a huge-ass building not because of loving the film.

You could remedy that by watching Ghostbusters.

Osahi

If not wetwired's, then what about Sergio's?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60632

Edit: beaten like a Sith Lord thrown down a reactor shaft

Wow, the set looks really similar to his, so I can imagine they based it upon his. I think this a very grey zone they are treading in. In the Ideas rules it is clearly stated that they can make other sets based upon the idea without giving the ideas-candidate his cut (which whit licenses is something that sooner rather than later would have happened), but when it is something that seems so close to the idea... I don't know. I mean, now I can see how the official one wil open up and the streetlight is the same build and all...

I can imagine the guy is pretty pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom