• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
This might a stupid question but do Legos generally go on sale on Black Friday?

Its nothing to count on, I get better deals all year long by keeping an eye on AWD. Lego stores have brick friday but that hasnt even been anything to write home about except for the 2nd free xmas set.

ghostmind

With the recent years being lackluster, I haven't even gone out to the LEGO store (or retail) for Black Friday. I'll place my S@H order to get the Gingerbread House promo, as soon as it's available.

Fishlake

I got the Morro Dragon today and built it. It really is huge and amazing in every way. I felt it was an appropriate buy for Halloween. I love these ghosts/phantoms as well. I think they fit well in a fantasy world. I also didn't bother building the 2 ninja vehicles so I have tons of spare gold swords now.

Ponn

Banned
I got the Morro Dragon today and built it. It really is huge and amazing in every way. I felt it was an appropriate buy for Halloween. I love these ghosts/phantoms as well. I think they fit well in a fantasy world. I also didn't bother building the 2 ninja vehicles so I have tons of spare gold swords now.

Congrats! Great freaking set in every way.

wetwired

Can I ask what your source on this is? Every news article I've seen has said that LEGO refused to fulfil Weiwei's order for any price, on the grounds that the LEGO group is supposedly "non-political".

Or is it your suggestion that it would have been preferable for Ai Weiwei to buy multiple copies of any sets he could get his hands on through the usual commercial channels? (I think that would do more to prevent children from playing with LEGO!)

Source

He could have purchased them through any number of channels like all of us have to do and not turn it into a sensationalized, clickbait story.

Toxi

Banned
17ZSlvc.jpg
I like how Umarak's lower legs are constructed. They looked rather awkward and flimsy in the first leaked pics, but here they give a unique look.

gerg

Source

He could have purchased them through any number of channels like all of us have to do and not turn it into a sensationalized, clickbait story.

Ah, OK, I see the confusion. You are not denying that the LEGO Group refused Ai Weiwei's bulk order, and are instead suggesting that he should have ordered whatever sets he needed in whatever quantities he needed to get a sufficient amount of parts, or used third-party resellers to source the appropriate parts.

I'm not even denying that Weiwei is correct in saying that LEGO "censored" his work, but that the reasons the LEGO Group have given for doing so are at best quaint (inasmuch as they are trying to be nonpolitical in selling a consumer product in a capitalist manner!) and at worst disingenuous given that China is non-trivially their fastest growing market, and home to their new sites of production. The Chinese media has been very gleeful about LEGO's decision on this matter!

Edit: I feel, however, that it is important to note that the article you linked doesn't seem to support your claim that the LEGO group offered to sell Weiwei the pieces he needed at a non-discounted price. I think what would be significant to this discussion would be finding examples (or the lack thereof) of people who have successfully bought parts in bulk directly from LEGO.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There is no real reason for LEGO to refuse an order other than appeasing the Chinese government. Weiwei is pretty much in his right to raise a stink about it. Plenty of western companies have blindfolds on regarding China's flagrant abuse of human rights, all in the name of capitalism.

Ryuuroden

China probably told Lego they would state sponser a lot of the bootleg shit some of you buy as well as seize the Lego factories. I honestly don't know why anyone does business in that country because they just steal all your technology. Short term gain, long term your out of business.

Ah, OK, I see the confusion. You are not denying that the LEGO Group refused Ai Weiwei's bulk order, and are instead suggesting that he should have ordered whatever sets he needed in whatever quantities he needed to get a sufficient amount of parts, or used third-party resellers to source the appropriate parts.

I'm not even denying that Weiwei is correct in saying that LEGO "censored" his work, but that the reasons the LEGO Group have given for doing so are at best quaint (inasmuch as they are trying to be nonpolitical in selling a consumer product in a capitalist manner!) and at worst disingenuous given that China is non-trivially their fastest growing market, and home to their new sites of production. The Chinese media has been very gleeful about LEGO's decision on this matter!

Edit: I feel, however, that it is important to note that the article you linked doesn't seem to support your claim that the LEGO group offered to sell Weiwei the pieces he needed at a non-discounted price. I think what would be significant to this discussion would be finding examples (or the lack thereof) of people who have successfully bought parts in bulk directly from LEGO.

No politics, religion, and realistic modern guns have always been LEGO's policy since the early days.

LEGO doesn't control what people do with the bricks once they have them, but they don't support those things through direct sales or in their sets.

Did a quick search and this is the best I could find.

https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines
Projects related to the topics below do not fit our brand values and will not be approved for publication on LEGO Ideas. We will decide how a project fits these standards.

a. Politics and political symbols, campaigns, or movements

b. Religious references including symbols, buildings, or people

c. Sex, drugs, or smoking

d. Alcohol in any present day situation

e. Swearing

f. Death, killing, blood, terrorism, or torture

g. First-person shooter video games

h. Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation, or national war memorials

i. Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals

Weiwei already found a solution (I follow him on Instagram) with people donating their Legos to him at different locations.

Not a fan of all his art but he always brings up important global discussions.

If anything he'd do work way way way more conceptually strong than the touring Lego statue brick artist guy (I forget his name) that makes things that are mostly just pretty to look at.

wetwired

I think you're missing the point of what I was trying to achieve, my issue was that I felt weiwei has the means to obtain LEGO from others sources without resorting to accepting donations.

Seeing that kind of groundswell for something we didn't feel was warranted motivated us to start our own campaign to collect donations for children in need. We can't accept loose bricks as weiwei is as they need to be sealed and clean to be accepted by most hospitals so it's not like we are taking his donations away from him.

gerg

I think you're missing the point of what I was trying to achieve, my issue was that I felt weiwei has the means to obtain LEGO from others sources without resorting to accepting donations.

Sure, but as I already stated it seems that the idea of accepting donations was in part started by people (other than Weiwei) spontaneously and independently offering to make those donations. To accept them (while having the means not to) might be opportunistic, but I don't see why it's necessarily such a big deal if people are volunteering their help anyway. It's good practice to save money.

(I think Weiwei might even agree with you that it is unwarranted to ask for donations for his art. That's probably why he tried to buy the pieces in bulk from LEGO in the first place!)

Seeing that kind of groundswell for something we didn't feel was warranted motivated us to start our own campaign to collect donations for children in need. We can't accept loose bricks as weiwei is as they need to be sealed and clean to be accepted by most hospitals so it's not like we are taking his donations away from him.

And it seems unlikely that the LEGO Weiwei will be collecting will detract from your available "pool" of LEGO either. Both donation drives can co-exist with each other.

No politics, religion, and realistic modern guns have always been LEGO's policy since the early days.

LEGO doesn't control what people do with the bricks once they have them, but they don't support those things through direct sales or in their sets.

Did a quick search and this is the best I could find.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any examples of people successfully ordering large quantities of bricks through LEGO at all. I have taken it as given (perhaps mistakenly) that LEGO offers such a service in the first place. (I imagine that if they didn't then they would have used that much more noncontroversial excuse not to fulfil Weiwei's order.)

Ponn

Banned
I was wondering if anyone knew of any examples of people successfully ordering large quantities of bricks through LEGO at all. I have taken it as given (perhaps mistakenly) that LEGO offers such a service in the first place. (I imagine that if they didn't then they would have used that much more noncontroversial excuse not to fulfil Weiwei's order.)

No, you have to join a LUG group and then they have access to certain parts in bulk orders for their group I believe (someone correct me if wrong) a set amount of times a year. If you follow the Lego threads here you will see most AFOL's who build moc's using places like Bricklink to buy pieces they need in bulk from sellers. You can't just go to Lego and say give me these pieces in bulk. They only have so many plants producing parts for their specific sets in circulation at any given time. On top of that they have been over-extended on their sets and frequently run into shortages of pieces for sets lately. Especially coming into the holidays here.

gerg

No, you have to join a LUG group and then they have access to certain parts in bulk orders for their group I believe (someone correct me if wrong) a set amount of times a year. If you follow the Lego threads here you will see most AFOL's who build moc's using places like Bricklink to buy pieces they need in bulk from sellers. You can't just go to Lego and say give me these pieces in bulk. They only have so many plants producing parts for their specific sets in circulation at any given time. On top of that they have been over-extended on their sets and frequently run into shortages of pieces for sets lately. Especially coming into the holidays here.

Yeah, it might have been pretty audacious for Weiwei to contact the LEGO group in the first place. I was thinking that LEGO's plants must be running pretty much at full capacity as it is.

Ponn

Banned
Yeah, it might have been pretty audacious for Weiwei to contact the LEGO group in the first place. I was thinking that LEGO's plants must be running pretty much at full capacity as it is.

Well, not audacious to approach them but audacious to publicize it and make it political when TLG has always tried their best to be political/religious agnostic in the first place. I don't think anyone can be naive about what they are doing when they take something to social media and know the masses who may not understand the workings of a company will have knee jerk reactions.

gerg

Well, not audacious to approach them but audacious to publicize it and make it political when TLG has always tried their best to be political/religious agnostic in the first place.

But, and this is a point I will keep referring to, trying to be "non-political" is itself a political act.

Ponn

Banned
But, and this is a point I will keep referring to, trying to be "non-political" is itself a political act.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I've never believed totally in the "You are with us or against us" mentality used in such a broad stroke with no option of context or grey area. I guess that's why everyone hates the Swiss? I guess if people want to hate TLG for not breaking their own policy and doing something they don't normally do and shorting themselves on pieces for sets going into the holidays, well whatever. I think thats energy better spent elsewhere if you feel that passionately about the Chinese government.

gerg

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I've never believed totally in the "You are with us or against us" mentality used in such a broad stroke with no option of context or grey area. I guess that's why everyone hates the Swiss?

It's not about being in the "you're with us or against us" mindset. That's not what I've intended to suggest at all. In fact, I'd argue that I've attempted to see the whole issue as a grey area, understanding the realities of the situation for the LEGO Group (not wanting to alienate their bourgeoning Chinese market) and criticising Ai Weiwei (in rather unfairly claiming that TLG has "censored" him).

I don't think TLG comes across as entirely unjustified in their actions here, or remotely evil or otherwise malicious, just a bit toothless and cowardly. I think it's fitting in more ways than one that the default face of their iconic figure is a blank smile!

Ponn

Banned
It's not about being in the "you're with us or against us" mindset. That's not what I've intended to suggest at all. In fact, I'd argue that I've attempted to see the whole issue as a grey area, understanding the realities of the situation for the LEGO Group (not wanting to alienate their bourgeoning Chinese market) and criticising Ai Weiwei (in rather unfairly claiming that TLG has "censored" him).

I don't think TLG comes across as entirely unjustified in their actions here, or remotely evil or otherwise malicious, just a bit toothless and cowardly.

Then it sounds like you do believe a bit in the "If you are not with us then you are against us" mentality if you still believe , as a business, they should go against everything that has been listed here for you and side with someone based on politics. Like I said, we will have to agree to disagree. Personally I would rather not see businesses get involved in politics because its something people end up regretting. Anyways, I don't think there's anything else to discuss really on this topic so i'm out.

Ponn

Banned
New TFA polybags:

TKjlZgT.jpg

The code on Finn's poly seems indicative of an upcoming LEGO Force Awakens game.

Wherever, however those polybags come out they are going to go so freaking fast heads will spin. Especially that Finn polybag. And aren't those codes used for that pc minifig game?

"Lego has also banned May from dismantling the structure and giving away the bricks, which the company donated for his forthcoming BBC show James May’s Toy Stories."
www.*****************/news/article-1214729/James-May-size-Lego-house-wants.html

Don't misunderstand the use of "banned" as LEGO seems to have made some deal that they were planning to move the house to there UK Legoland location. So the donation was probably made with certain conditions of ownership.

Seems NeoGAF is scrubbing the domain of the above link. It's w w w . d a i l y m a i l . c o . u k
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_May's_Toy_Stories#James_May.27s_Lego_House_.28Episode_5.29

LEGO Certified Professionals do have access to buy in bulk, but I'm sure there is a restriction on what they can build as they are "ambassadors" of LEGO. There are only 12 LCPs at the time of the article below (2014).
http://priceonomics.com/life-as-a-lego-professional/
http://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/lego-group/programs-and-visits/lego-certified-professionals

Nathan Sawaya is the guy someone above was asking about. He's a LCP and is also considered an "artist".

Lego Scooby doo lighthouse - what's the general view?

I asked about the mansion and got mixed responses, my boy watched the Lego Scooby doo cartoon and wants some of it off Father Christmas.

I've picked up the little mummy set as I found it cheap but not sure which of the bigger sets to go for

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
There is no real reason for LEGO to refuse an order other than appeasing the Chinese government. Weiwei is pretty much in his right to raise a stink about it. Plenty of western companies have blindfolds on regarding China's flagrant abuse of human rights, all in the name of capitalism.

Well, UK is on human rights watch as well as the US and they do business there as well. It's pretty simple, companies have to compromise when they are doing business in certain countries. They want to produce bricks in China, they have to play nice with the political leadership. Lego is a toy company, as such it has no interest in being instrumentalized in any conflict. In fact Weiwei should just use some Chinese Lego clone, that would suit his message much more than bricks produced in Mexiko by a Danish enterprise.

This isn't a Chinese problem. Not so long ago the US forced any enterprise worldwide that wanted to make money in the US to not do any contracts with Iran. European companies like Siemens and banks were forced to stop their business in Iran if they wanted to continue in the US or else they were blacklisted. Basically governments have a house right to their country, it's not so different from message boards. They make the rules, if you want something from them you follow the rules.

Change has to come from within.

Wow, didn't know about that Scooby Cartoon hmm... currently watching Mystery Inc. for the first time and it's pretty good :)

As for the lighthouse, i was on the fence as well but after watching some reviews i decided to grab it as soon as it goes on sale.

To me the 3 best sets in the line seem to be Mystery Mansion, Mystery Machine and the Lighthouse!

U.K. Guys I presume this has been mentioned but a heads up the Daily Mail is doing one of their Lego freebies but only for one day

14th November you get a tie fighter polybag

y1kbRuK.jpg

Not bad for a quid (I know I know daily mail)

FYI, if anyone is looking for the Lego Jurassic World sets, Amazon has some of them back in stock/backordered for shipping within the next few weeks. Anyone looking to buy these as Christmas gifts may want to act quickly due to the supply issues.

I was hoping for the Jurassic world sets to go on offer at some point had no idea they were short supply so no chance of that

Maybe I will order the big Dinos from Aliexpress

I asked about the mansion and got mixed responses, my boy watched the Lego Scooby doo cartoon and wants some of it off Father Christmas.

I've picked up the little mummy set as I found it cheap but not sure which of the bigger sets to go for
Mansion is the best set of the theme. Best way to describe it is "My First Vampyre Castle."
The greenhouse is the best part. And the set is the only one with Velma.

And I liked the lighthouse set. Nothing amazing, but a solid build and looks really nice when done.

ninge

Still loving mixels ;) Picked up some more, so now I have 3 complete sets of 3 and a few more interesting parts! Decided to see what I could do combining them together:

a263bf72-1ce5-47c3-bf29-a55a94d3cd0a

Nothing is moving on from the first 2015 Lego Ideas review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXekrsaJ8uU

Good. The only one I kind of wanted (if it had been designed better) was Discworld. Then it was just the regular bunch of oversized wannabe UCS projects built off existing IP:s.

And we did get four great sets this year, and we already know that Lego is kind of struggling with production.

And my original, reasonably sized entry has 35 votes after ten months so I'm jealous that they at least got that much attention. :D

Fishlake

Disappointed in the ego ideas results. It would help a lot if they gave feedback on the process.

I really like this Morro Dragon by the way I have it standing right next to me on 2 legs while I'm working on my Advanced Encryption Standard code. It has a lot more pose-ability than i thought it had.

TRU has 25% off everything this Sunday (in Sweden) so I'm probably grabbing Lego Dimensions and a few addons. I was going to get the Technic Street Motorcycle to use for my maxifig since the colours matched perfectly, but I finally checked and it's actually much too small. I'll probably also pick up something else, probably the Master Wu Dragon. It has lots of really cool, unique pieces plus a few ones I would need to order off Bricklink anyway.

If only Ninjago had fleshie figures...

BTW, I'm watching the Tested show where they build the Death Star and the SSD, from 2012. They mentioned NeoGAF, I think, but that was before my LegoGAF time. It's pretty nice to watch how they transition from "okay, building Lego is kind of quaint and fun" to hardcore AFOL:s only a few episodes later.

Rootbeer

Banned
So sad about the Ideas results this round... so many projects got past the hurdles to be reviewed only for NOTHING to be approved... :/

I wish LEGO would go after the Nintendo license. It keeps going to crappy companies like K'nex (which btw don't seem to have any Zelda products.) Surely LEGO has the buying power to win them over if K'nex can manage it.

The first time a Zelda set made it to review I was not convinced it would work very well within the LEGO style, but after seeing the huge success of LEGO Minecraft despite the clash of visual styles, it seems to have translated fine and is selling extremely well. I am certain Zelda would do well too. :(

chidrock

I think the lighthouse is worth picking up. I might not have picked it up, but everyone in my house loves Scooby Doo so I grabbed it. It was an okay build but it has a lot of play features for the kids (ski boat, hidden cave & light) and is a decent display piece. Would be great if it it was $10 cheaper, but still worth it. There's worse deals out there...

I'm with SiegfriedFM on this. I'm glad that they are showing some discretion with what they choose to build.

Honestly I think there are way too many licensed sets running through the Ideas process. I'd love to see more reasonably-sized sets along the lines of Birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom