• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taisaijin

the streetlight is the same build and all...

I can imagine the guy is pretty pissed.

To be fair - they're not at all the same build.

streetlight.JPG

As for the broader outrage over the Ideas similarities, it's very likely they already had this on a roadmap for a DTC set long before the Ideas set showed up. Business decisions / roadmaps are often 3+ years of planning, which will never outpace the massive amount of submissions coming from the Ideas community. Basically - get used to seeing dupes, especially for popular IP-based sets.

As for the claims of similarity in the build itself, any two designers of similar skill, working with a limited piece / color set while designing to the same exact physical and film reference at minifig scale, are going to come away with similar builds.

Also see : Multiple Discovery

People crying foul and pretending they have any insider knowledge to insinuate that Bessa aped the submission or Lego chose to skirt the Cussoo process to avoid paying out the (tiny) residuals is pure hyperbole.

ruxtpin

Banned
To be fair, when I was 6 I built a castle that was also a tank. Lego has yet to contact me about the residuals I will receive from the Nexo Knights line.

Speaking of Bessa.

I'm on the last bag of 76021: The Milano Spaceship Rescue
Man, it is a fun build. There were a lot of interesting techniques. There's a bunch of Technic and Constraction parts which is common nowadays, but they were combined and used brilliantly in the build. I've built the Justice League Arrow and the X-Men Blackbird. Milano blows them away. Granted Blackbird is a much smaller build.

It has a lot of heft to it and it passes the swoosh test with flying colors.

Very glad I bought Milano.

13696644173_2e166bec1a_o.jpg

EDIT: I skipped the mini bad guy ship. I plan on keeping the Milano built and displayed for awhile. I had no interest in the making then taking the small ship apart.

Huh, the TIE Fighter was a fast build (about an hour)
No matter, it looks awesome.
Whoosh! Pew Pew!

I bought the TIE Fighter last week on EBay. Arrived a few days ago. I was planning to probably build it next, to go with my Force Awakens Falcon, but then my 6 year old daughter looks through the Big Toy Books from Target and Toys R Us yesterday and tells me she wants the TIE Fighter for Christmas. I was all like, "Don't you think Daddy should ask for that for Christmas instead?", and she was all like, "Uh, no..."

Speaking of Bessa.

Man, it is a fun build. There were a lot of interesting techniques. There's a bunch of Technic and Constraction parts which is common nowadays, but they were combined and used brilliantly in the build. I've built the Justice League Arrow and the X-Men Blackbird. Milano blows them away. Granted Blackbird is a much smaller build.

EDIT: I skipped the mini bad guy ship. I plan on keeping the Milano built and displayed for awhile. I had no interest in the making then taking the small ship apart.

Still need to build this one as well... How are you displaying it though? On a stand or just flat like that?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Speaking of Bessa.

I got it for xmas last year but i've still to actually build it!

We've limited space so it's the Quinjet 2.0 on display atm- until we move it will only ever be one or the other, which is horribly unfair. First world Lego problems.

Toxi

Banned
Question: If I were to get one UCS 200 dollar set, should I get the Slave 1 or the TIE Fighter? What are the relative pros and cons for both sets?

ghostmind

Question: If I were to get one UCS 200 dollar set, should I get the Slave 1 or the TIE Fighter? What are the relative pros and cons for both sets?

Slave I.

The TIE is classic, and pairs well with the Red-5 X-Wing, but the Slave I is a more interesting build, and looks amazing.

Still need to build this one as well... How are you displaying it though? On a stand or just flat like that?

Just flat. My wife barely tolerates my LEGO hobby at the excesses I've achieved.
I only have a little space on top of bookshelves for display which is mostly just for me. I play with LEGO more than my kids. I know...parenting fail on my part. :(

I got it for xmas last year but i've still to actually build it!

We've limited space so it's the Quinjet 2.0 on display atm- until we move it will only ever be one or the other, which is horribly unfair. First world Lego problems.

Oooh. I have yet to build Quinjet 2.0 for comparison.

Ponn

Banned
So I had a good morning, woke up with no headache, neck pain or nausea so I decided let me get my Halloween shit up. I carved the pumpkin then decided even though I couldn't do what I wanted to do with my Halloween Lego scene i'd throw something up and maybe it would make me feel better. I actually feel worse because it looks so half-assed and i'm pissed at myself for not being able to do what I wanted. Well, here it is anyways.

I had actually went out of my way to get extra clown figures from bricklink/amazon and even got a butcher figure so I could have that cleaver for the clown. I wanted to make a classic Scooby chase scene.

Really cramped for room but wanted all the mascot figs being chased by zombies. I originally was going to order more zombie figs and have them all throughout the carnival chasing and eating people.

One positive is if I revisit this idea I know for sure I need a bigger space. I wouldn't have had any room for my halloween moc'ed carousel or bumper car rink.
*beep beep* s'cuse me

Ah well. I even got clown makeup and shoes and outside carnival decorations but i'm so bummed out now I don't even want to put them up or get dressed up. I do have my blacklight up for the display but I don't know how it looks till tonight. I did get a motor for the ferris wheel and it looks cool going around. Really wish I had those ferris wheel lights though that would have made it pop.

Slave I.

The TIE is classic, and pairs well with the Red-5 X-Wing, but the Slave I is a more interesting build, and looks amazing.

I just bought the Slave I myself, so obviously that's what I would suggest as well. Slave I is just a stunning model in person, one of the best looking Lego models I've ever seen. The UCS TIE Fighter is nice as well, but a bit bland in comparison.

Nice... but yeah, you DO need more room so it'd all look a bit more spaced out and the scenes would be able to "breathe" a bit more.

LOVING nonchalant bumper car driver Deadpool there :D

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just flat. My wife barely tolerates my LEGO hobby at the excesses I've achieved.
I only have a little space on top of bookshelves for display which is mostly just for me. I play with LEGO more than my kids. I know...parenting fail on my part. :(

Oooh. I have yet to build Quinjet 2.0 for comparison.

I think they'd look great together. On a nice shelf dedicated to just the Marvel theme. With all the minifigs displayed in front. In a nice spacious open living room!

That's my current problem with the modulars- I can only ever be three at a time with our space :/

Toxi

Banned
Slave I.

I just bought the Slave I myself, so obviously that's what I would suggest as well. Slave I is just a stunning model in person, one of the best looking Lego models I've ever seen. The UCS TIE Fighter is nice as well, but a bit bland in comparison.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Osahi

To be fair - they're not at all the same build.

streetlight.JPG

As for the broader outrage over the Ideas similarities, it's very likely they already had this on a roadmap for a DTC set long before the Ideas set showed up. Business decisions / roadmaps are often 3+ years of planning, which will never outpace the massive amount of submissions coming from the Ideas community. Basically - get used to seeing dupes, especially for popular IP-based sets.

As for the claims of similarity in the build itself, any two designers of similar skill, working with a limited piece / color set while designing to the same exact physical and film reference at minifig scale, are going to come away with similar builds.

Also see : Multiple Discovery

People crying foul and pretending they have any insider knowledge to insinuate that Bessa aped the submission or Lego chose to skirt the Cussoo process to avoid paying out the (tiny) residuals is pure hyperbole.

You are right offcourse. I don't really think Lego will just rip solebody off and it is based on the same real life thing so similarities are completely to be expected. But it is still a touchy subject. This set will have been in design when the ideas one popped up, so it is not totally tin foil hat crazyness to imagine there was some crosscontamination of sorts, even subconciously. It is a grey area and i guess very difficult to deal with.

But deliberatly ripping off? No i don't believe that either. It just struck me how close they are...

wetwired

So he's not allowed to publically post his disagreement with a company's (possibly disagreeable) policies, and then to promote his own methods of producing his work?

Ai Weiwei is already incredibly renowned and famous enough; I think you'd have to be pretty cynical to suggest that he wouldn't have preferred to have LEGO very simply and easily sell him the bricks.

And, hey, as was suggested in the article you linked, the alternative could be to have gone and placed an order with Mega Bloks instead!

Lego didn't refuse to sell him bricks, they denied him a bulk discount. Which was then blown out of proportions to promote his himself.

Might put in my first bricklink order tonight primarily for CCBS stuff that I want but not from a full set.

I'm mostly looking at the Grievous silver rib cage

Thanks for teaching me a new acronym. I always just called sets using those parts "Bionicle, Hero Factory, or Constraction" sets.

You'll soon learn why the call Bricklink, "Cracklink".

Remember, there usually is a minimum shipping price which is not due to the seller. It's because of the way USPS or other carriers price shipping. If your order is small, look to see if they have any other parts you may want that are a decent price. You may be able to add items without increasing shipping costs. It saves a lot on shipping getting as many parts from as few stores as possible.

Thanks for teaching me a new acronym. I always just called sets using those parts "Bionicle, Hero Factory, or Constraction" sets.

You'll soon learn why the call Bricklink, "Cracklink".

Remember, there usually is a minimum shipping price which is not due to the seller. It's because of the way USPS or other carriers price shipping. If your order is small, look to see if they have any other parts you may want that are a decent price. You may be able to add items without increasing shipping costs. It saves a lot on shipping getting as many parts from as few stores as possible.

Thanks. I'll be ordering a few extras from the guy I'm getting the piece from. Going to hunt for some Jango Fett armor parts after I put my first orders through.

Yeah humans I don't want anything of. All the villains though I'll be getting.

Toxi

Banned
Poor Finn did not translate well. The best thing I can say about his appearance is that at least he looks better than Luke.

Rey's bare legs also look pretty shitty since the tan armor pieces used barely cover the black skeleton underneath.

Wish they had included a hood for Kylo Ren; a black hood would be really reusable with all the hooded villains in Star Wars (Darth Maul, Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader pre-Mustafar).

Captain Phasma looks as ludicrously badass as always.

Put my first Bricklink order in! Gotta wait to pay, but I already loaded more than I originally thought I would... 0_0

I need to hunt down a few more parts, so now the neverending black hole begins.

I am hoping I am more safe since I'm mostly looking for CCBS parts, but I did grab some minifig stuff... >_<

AU7Amsc.gif

EDIT: first payment done... time to start next based off my wishlist
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif

I can't unsee the banana, I'm not sure what is actually supposed to be?

It's his ears unpainted I assume.

Satyr, "Can you repeat that? I can't hear you! There's a banana in my ear."

EDIT: Oops, fredacour beat me and I didn't even think about that being the actual color of the ears. For some reason I was thinking flesh or nougat color. The color of the head used probably threw me off.

Rootbeer

Banned
constraction TFA villain figures looking very strong. Gonna have to put phasma, kylo and maybe trooper in my january order because they are going to sell strongly.

Rey and Poe are decent. Finn is just a really dull looking character, not much going on with him from a costume/design perspective. Going to shelfwarm worse than Obi-Wan.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

If you can find the Red Five X-wing I would pick up that first as this month is the end of it's shelf life I think.

However, if you don't care much for the X-wing the Slave 1 is pretty sweet looking.

I have the Red Five and TIE Fighter already, and I'm looking forward to picking up the Slave 1 by the end of the year.

Good luck!

Wanderer5

Lol maybe I screw looking out for black series and figurearts phasma, and check out that one. Actually the right side overall is quite badass looking.

gerg

Lego didn't refuse to sell him bricks, they denied him a bulk discount. Which was then blown out of proportions to promote his himself.

Can I ask what your source on this is? Every news article I've seen has said that LEGO refused to fulfil Weiwei's order for any price, on the grounds that the LEGO group is supposedly "non-political".

Or is it your suggestion that it would have been preferable for Ai Weiwei to buy multiple copies of any sets he could get his hands on through the usual commercial channels? (I think that would do more to prevent children from playing with LEGO!)

Osahi

Reys face looks okayish. Never really liked constraction stuff though. Doesn't look like Lego anymore and the technique doesn't work for human figures, in armour or not, imo. Only constraction I saw that nailed it was Grievous, for obvious reasons.

Speaking of Reys face. I hope we get a new minifigure of her fast. The current face just doesn't fit the character. To much 'make up'

This might a stupid question but do Legos generally go on sale on Black Friday?

There will be some kind of sale at Lego Stores/Shop at Home. But mostly clearance junk and key chains.

Walmart and Target had some deals last year. I think Batcave, Family House, and a big brick bucket.

In general the sales have gotten fewer and farther between year over year. However I would love to be surprised.

Ryuuroden

Black Friday is generally worthless nowadays when it comes to getting sales :/ There are a couple things but generally you will find better deals throughout the year just checking sales tracking websites and when items go on clearance. The only reason I will be going to the Lego store is to get the free Christmas set with purchase. I would rather do it online but they won't ship to ups store boxes.

I'm happy to get 20% off on Amazon and now I have to pay sales tax on there. Stupid regressive taxes, sales taxes are (says yodaryu)

LEGO store has Black Friday deals, but last year was very disappointing. I think the big demand for LEGO doesn't motivate LEGO to discount their stuff much.

You'll find a lot of good LEGO sales outside of Black Friday. Keep an eye online as Amazon, Walmart, and Target tend to have price wars and do price matching on sales.

neonglow

Every year, Walmart has been selling basic bricks as a doorbuster. I think last year it was like 700+ bricks for $30.

Target usually discounts one of the $100 sets down to $70 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom