• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the bank is mostly what is selling me on the idea of starting a modular town. I just have great visions of Doc Ock or Two-Face robbing it, with Spider-Man or Batman there to stop 'em. (Or there's Foot Ninja/TMNT, or Villains/Ultra Agents, etc.)

It's definitely a great centerpiece for whatever superhero figures you already have, just like the GB HQ will be THE place to be for anything supernatural (especially if Haunted Mansion doesn't fit in your street).

Hmm I'm thinking about making a modular Lego building in Lego digital designer and then getting my parents to pay for the parts on bricklink as a Christmas present. So essentially I'd be making my own present lol

Just remember that the parts for a regular building can easily go above $300 for a modular sized building, and more if you don't properly choose common parts.

Just remember that the parts for a regular building can easily go above $300 for a modular sized building, and more if you don't properly choose common parts.

Yeah maybe not lol, I'll try to mostly choose basic parts and limit the piece count as much as i can but worst case scenario i had fun in lego digital designer for a bit

How long do you guys think Scooby Doo will be around? I haven't found any sales on them yet, except for the Mummy and Mystery Machine on warehouse deals. Wondering if I just need to buy the rest at MSRP before it's too late.

There has been no indication that there will be a wave 2 for Scooby Doo. I'd guess it will be around until Summer next year, but some sets may be hard to find at most retailers by that time.

ghostmind

bsHEeyl.jpg

XaOPOKZ.jpg

Osahi

I thought the consensus was that it was a bit lacking? I've got Cafe Corner and Green Grocer there atm, so there would be an obvious height/bulk difference to what i've now, it looks a LOT smaller.

With Brick Bank on the horizon like gaming i'm more interested in new & shiny, but i'll probably end up picking it up anyway.

I just wish there was wider gaps between the launches of Exclusives if i'm really honest.

It is my favourite modular. (I own 4). Great look, awesome interiours.

wetwired

That cigarette looks more like a cigar (as far as size is concerned anyway) but as the minifig hand HAS to be able to actually hold it, it will look like that per default, so yeah, it looks great :)

Yeah I tried a few other ideas (cut lever handles) but thus was the only solution I could come up with that they could hold that also could be pad printed for the filter

Nice I know nothing of him but that looks pretty cool.

I'm pondering my Scooby mansion purchase, getting it for the boy for Christmas but do I try and find a good offer on it or buy from the Lego store on the 27th to get the Gingerbread house?

I'm thinking the latter!

Picked up 2 high speed passenger trains from Amazon warehouse deals over the last 2 weeks. I hope to mod it to have 3 passenger cars. With the extra power functions I'll motorize the constitution train too. I now have plenty of track for the simple layout I'm planning.

There has been no indication that there will be a wave 2 for Scooby Doo. I'd guess it will be around until Summer next year, but some sets may be hard to find at most retailers by that time.
Hmm, I guess I'll grab the Mansion now and go for the free holiday train on S@H. I can always use those red and green pieces for something. The gingerbread house looks fun but wouldn't give me much useful pieces.

Cosmic Boy poly:

R6YNMtv.jpg

The logo makes me think we may see more from this subtheme...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

At the very least they need to complete the founding trio with Saturn Girl.

Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl are the founding trio of Legion of Super-Heroes.

Ponn

Banned
Holy crap in a hat! I thought that Lego Avengers game originally was going to be more sparse than the Lego Marvel game but man it just keeps looking better and better. They revealed more characters

https://youtu.be/F6vNp23Beto

Devil Dinosaur! Crossbones (given but wondering if that will be the fig in a Civil War set), Fin Fang Foom! SQUIRREL GIRL!!

Holy crap in a hat! I thought that Lego Avengers game originally was going to be more sparse than the Lego Marvel game but man it just keeps looking better and better. They revealed more characters

Devil Dinosaur! Crossbones (given but wondering if that will be the fig in a Civil War set), Fin Fang Foom! SQUIRREL GIRL!!
I need them all. Specifically Devil Dinosaur and Fin Fang Foom.

fenners

My son's fixated on a Lego Star Wars Republic Gunship for Christmas. I blame him watching the Clone Wars on repeat for the last month.

Ugh.

Going for around $170 sealed on ebay, a little less on bricklink... Any chance of a more manageable option or is he out of luck?

Kyari

The big concern is the total exclusion of Spidey characters :(

Ponn

Banned
The big concern is the total exclusion of Spidey characters :(

We haven't seen everyone yet so could just be an overlook. With the push to include Spidey in the MCU and Disney having the cartoon Lego has been able to fall back on I really can't see any reason why there should be a lack of Spidey characters. I would love a playable Green Goblin (the real one) with glider.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason we haven't seen any Spidey stuff is because they're gonna use whatever his new MCU look will be. Kinda weird that there wouldn't be any variations revealed before now but I guess they could potentially have his variants be based on his new look, or they'd just want to reveal Spidey proper before introducing any of his alts.

Note that many 2016 sets have leaked too yet none of the Civil War Marvel stuff was part of it. That's my conspiracy theory anyway.

Got my constraction Bricklink orders in + some minifig accessories.

I've popped my Bricklink cherry (too graphic?)

It's nice to have pieces that I want without having to get sets I don't want. Felt good to get two Grevious rib cages for less than $5 :)

Also, the new Star Wars constraction armor shoulders are awesome. Got the Jango silver ones and I feel they make any constraction build more slick.

Ponn

Banned
God what I have done. I had some Amazon credit and decided not to get Fallout 4 because I just couldn't even really get into Fallout 3. So I got an AWD Lego Dimensions PS4 set and BttF and Portal level pack instead.

What have I done. I've started something I cannot contain.

Also why aren't the 2 small winter scene sets on Lego S@H yet? I'm not really complaining because I was hoping they would be in stock for Brick Friday but it's kind of weird.

God what I have done. I had some Amazon credit and decided not to get Fallout 4 because I just couldn't even really get into Fallout 3. So I got an AWD Lego Dimensions PS4 set and BttF and Portal level pack instead.

Also why aren't the 2 small winter scene sets on Lego S@H yet? I'm not really complaining because I was hoping they would be in stock for Brick Friday but it's kind of weird.

It's okay, better to get the pain out of the way now so you can accept your future.

I find it funny that even given the chance I just can't pull the trigger on any Darth Maul set. So I end up buying the new X-Wing for the C3PO poly.

Hmm I'm thinking about making a modular Lego building in Lego digital designer and then getting my parents to pay for the parts on bricklink as a Christmas present. So essentially I'd be making my own present lol. I'll have to build it all out and find out how expensive it is total first before deciding to do this. Worst case scenario i can render it out in maya and post it here if its too expensive.

Also bear in mind that ordering parts on bricklink for a custom modular is not a one stop affair where you give your parents a link and they click buy.
It will likely be dozens of orders spread across multiple stores and countries.
It's a fun activity in and of itself, but not for everyone.

ghostmind

They are, but you have to search for them. I ordered them yesterday.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Winter-Fun-40124

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Santa-s-Visit-40125

EDIT: The Winter Fun seasonal set is now out of stock until November 27th.

Osahi

My son's fixated on a Lego Star Wars Republic Gunship for Christmas. I blame him watching the Clone Wars on repeat for the last month.

Ugh.

Going for around $170 sealed on ebay, a little less on bricklink... Any chance of a more manageable option or is he out of luck?

Not much help as you are American. But in Belgium i know two toy shops that still have it on sale for 139 euros (rrp i guess)

Rootbeer

Banned
Sigh... I'm gonna have to order the two winter $10 sets now aren't I? I want to wait till Dec 1st but I don't trust them to still be in stock at that time :(

neonglow

Sigh... I'm gonna have to order the two winter $10 sets now aren't I? I want to wait till Dec 1st but I don't trust them to still be in stock at that time :(

I would really get them now. The Thanksgiving set is sold out and it's barely the start of November.

According to Brickset, the Thanksgiving set was available on 10/2 and sold out on 10/17 so about 2 weeks shelf life.
The Halloween set was available on 9/2 and sold out on 9/18 so that's also 2 weeks shelf life.

Osahi

Last week I built the Pet Shop with my wife over 4 evenings (one satchel at a time). We doubted getting the set for a long time, because of the sparce interiours, but I'm glad we got it anyway. It's a great build for starters with some nice techniques, and it looks awesome to. Especially the brownstone house is magnificent to look at. Love for instance how there is even a doorbell included with some brilliant texturing. The sparce interiour is a shame, but they actually handeled it well with the whole 'people are moving in' narrative.

The Pet Shop itself is for me the lesser part of the two, but still great (and it's cool to have all the animals). We split the two buildings appart in our street by the way. Should look into getting a picture up.

From all the modulars I build this ranks the third. Can't pick a winner between Detective's Office and Parisian Restaurant, which I both absolutely loved. Then there is this, then there is the Cinema, which has a great exteriour, but isn't as fun to build as the others and missed the chance to include a magnificent interiour. Also: I absolutely hated the stickers for the posters and billboard.

I also build the Darth Vader constraction. I love how it looks and how possable it is, but I didn't enjoy building it. To me it's not really Lego anymore. So no other Constractions for me (maybe Captain Phasma because I love how she looks, depending on how the coloring turns out)...

I think the Town House modular in particular really lends itself to customisation. I haven't built mine yet as I wasn't planning to build another modular for a while, but it's tempting to build it before Christmas just so that I can decorate the inside of it with a tree and stuff.

Ugh.

Best you will probably do at this point is finding a used one with a box and disassemble and put back in the box. This would be a no go for my daughter but maybe your kid is older and understands.

Last week I built the Pet Shop with my wife over 4 evenings (one satchel at a time). We doubted getting the set for a long time, because of the sparce interiours, but I'm glad we got it anyway. It's a great build for starters with some nice techniques, and it looks awesome to. Especially the brownstone house is magnificent to look at. Love for instance how there is even a doorbell included with some brilliant texturing. The sparce interiour is a shame, but they actually handeled it well with the whole 'people are moving in' narrative.

The Pet Shop itself is for me the lesser part of the two, but still great (and it's cool to have all the animals). We split the two buildings appart in our street by the way. Should look into getting a picture up.

From all the modulars I build this ranks the third. Can't pick a winner between Detective's Office and Parisian Restaurant, which I both absolutely loved. Then there is this, then there is the Cinema, which has a great exteriour, but isn't as fun to build as the others and missed the chance to include a magnificent interiour. Also: I absolutely hated the stickers for the posters and billboard.

I also build the Darth Vader constraction. I love how it looks and how possable it is, but I didn't enjoy building it. To me it's not really Lego anymore. So no other Constractions for me (maybe Captain Phasma because I love how she looks, depending on how the coloring turns out)...

What is this doorbell you speak of? I thought my Pet Shop was missing this piece but no, i just checked official pics of PS and there is no doorbell on the front entrance of Brownstone house? Hmmm..

o59CYE4.jpg

Just saw this thing here(sorry for the big pic). After not showin any interest whatsoever in Chima sets, this Phoenix looks kinda cool to me now... anyone here own it and care to comment on it? Seems like a decent deal for 19 bucks or so.

Osahi

What is this doorbell you speak of? I thought my Pet Shop was missing this piece but no, i just checked official pics of PS and there is no doorbell on the front entrance of Brownstone house? Hmmm..

It's not a piece per sé, it is a bit of texturing that to me resembles a door bell. It is on the brown house, just under the paintroller here:

pTRU1-11141156dt.jpg

The white 1 by 1 piece with the grey hole.

It is actually the back of the clip the coat hanger inside is attached to, on the outside it resembles a doorbel to me.

Fishlake

o59CYE4.jpg

Just saw this thing here(sorry for the big pic). After not showin any interest whatsoever in Chima sets, this Phoenix looks kinda cool to me now... anyone here own it and care to comment on it? Seems like a decent deal for 19 bucks or so.

I love it. I think it was a great purchase. The design uses no stickers and it looks so nice due to those flame feathers. Lots of pose-ability. I've thought of getting a second to have a pair since who knows if Lego will ever make another phoenix.

Ryuuroden

It's not a piece per sé, it is a bit of texturing that to me resembles a door bell. It is on the brown house, just under the paintroller here:

pTRU1-11141156dt.jpg

The white 1 by 1 piece with the grey hole.

It is actually the back of the clip the coat hanger inside is attached to, on the outside it resembles a doorbel to me.

Yeah, that is definitely a doorbell. Fantastic catch you made there, I never really thought about it. Considering that it could of been made differently, it is surly intentional.

teeny

Argos 3 for 2 on toys is back tomorrow

Tempted to pick up the mansion, lighthouse and one other set and give up on waiting for the gingerbread house

Cool, I might pick up some ancillary sets I am interested in in the £50 range. Will this work for online exclusive items too?

Osahi

Something else I forgot to mention about the pet shop: the version I have uses a different kind of piece (a new version i guess) than what is mentioned inside the instructions. It is the white railing piece used on the bedroom-floor of the pet shop flat. In the manual it has two studs on top, in my set the pieces came with four studs on top.

images

--> used in the instructions. Can't find a pic of what's in my set.

Nothing world shattering, but it's interesting to see. Could show how this set lingers so long because there are no all to specific pieces, and some pieces are easily replaced by similar ones or new versions.

iuuk

Something else I forgot to mention about the pet shop: the version I have uses a different kind of piece (a new version i guess) than what is mentioned inside the instructions. It is the white railing piece used on the bedroom-floor of the pet shop flat. In the manual it has two studs on top, in my set the pieces came with four studs on top.
Just checked, and mine has two studs, so I guess mine's older?

Anyway, I just finished my last modular, an my street is full;

I'll echo the thoughts that people shouldn't skip the detective office. The kitchen makes no sense (except for the story) but other than that it's a brilliant build and looks great between the rest of them.

In my opinion they rank;

Pet Shop
Parisian Restaurant
Detective Office / Fire Brigade
Grand Emporium / Town Hall
Palace Cinema

By the way, why did they start using those 2x2 black tiles under the street lamps? I removed them because it makes no sense to have two be higher than the rest them, but there must be a reason for it.

fenners

Best you will probably do at this point is finding a used one with a box and disassemble and put back in the box. This would be a no go for my daughter but maybe your kid is older and understands.

That'd be a no-go for him too.

I suspect we'll be having a conversation about it & a trip to the Lego store so he can see that it's not around any more. Plenty of other sets still available!

Just checked, and mine has two studs, so I guess mine's older?

Your setup looks great!

My OCD is kicking in with the pending 2016 modular. If I finally build my Detective's Office and add it to my current street I'll be at max capacity on my mantle. I may have to remove Palace Cinema to incorporate the Office and the Bank, but I hate the thought of splitting my street.

iuuk

Your setup looks great!

My OCD is kicking in with the pending 2016 modular. If I finally build my Detective's Office and add it to my current street I'll be at max capacity on my mantle. I may have to remove Palace Cinema to incorporate the Office and the Bank, but I hate the thought of splitting my street.
Thanks, and yeah, I have the same problem. I was considering removing Palace Cinema to make room for the bank as well, but it kind of makes sense next to the restaurant. I'm going to have to split the street up anyway, because I know I won't be able to resist buying the bank eventually.

When my setup is full i will have to move my street to the attic where i can arrange them on a big table to face each other in 2 rows so it's an actual "street" that way...

Problem is no one will be able to marvel at it anymore as opposed to the current setup in our living room :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom