• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Target's Black Friday ad is out. 3 Lego sets will be $55. City Arctic Base Camp, Creator Bike Shop & Cafe, and Lego Movie Super Secret Police Dropship. Not a fantastic deal, but could be worse, I guess.
I'd pick up another Dropship at that price if I were going to Target on BF, which I'm not. But that's a great set.

TheFuzz

Target's Black Friday ad is out. 3 Lego sets will be $55. City Arctic Base Camp, Creator Bike Shop & Cafe, and Lego Movie Super Secret Police Dropship. Not a fantastic deal, but could be worse, I guess.

In for a Bike Shop for the parts. Will help with my next MOC. Had to order 18 black window frames from BL today.

I assume it's Sea Cow and Spaceship 3x, neither of which I bought because of budget and space issues.

Correct. But Super Secret Police Dropship is the dark horse of the theme. It flew under many peoples radars, but Ghostmind and others will sing its praises.
Yeah, Sea Cow looks awesome, but I couldn't justify it over sets like The Tumbler, Slave I, or Orthanc. Only have so much space and money.
Sea Cow> everything else last year. The only thing that could even hang in its league last year for me was Parisian Restaurant.

ghostmind

But it, people! A fantastic set at full price, and even better when cheap. Third best LEGO Movie set.

D6FAJFp.gif

Third best?

5AaVaYg.gif

I love seeing pictures of things I won't buy no matter how on sale they are. It gives me hope that I won't have to upgrade my place just to store LEGO.

Ponn

Banned
Phon that was a great MOC, love your Ash fig. I still love your airship too. Did you use any ship hull pieces on it?

I just can't say with enough urgency that if you have not gotten into Dimensions and value your wallet DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT get the starter pack. Do not look at dimensions, stay as far away as possible. Lego must have succubus demons working for them knowing exactly how to hit people's OCD and addictive nerves exactly in the right way. Within a half hour I was already jonesing for more sets and everytime you hit a box and it says you need so and so fig you are fighting the urge to run down to walmart. It is pure evil but you are having so much fun you don't care. The portal set was indeed awesome but I played the Dr. Who set and wow, just wow. That level pack is an automatic must buy with any starter pack. It was so much fun, the Dr. is very useful and K-9 is like a little robot tank dog. It is sooooo much fun cruising around K-9 just blowing the shit out of everything.

The next part i'm going to spoiler in case anyone wants to experience things from the level pack for the first time.
So many easter eggs, dying and coming back as a different Dr., the comments, the Daleks were hilarious but bastards. OMG the Weeping Angels were so freaking creepy. Walking through them the first time I was like waiting for something to happen and they wouldn't move but the Dr. kept on saying shit about them. Then all of a sudden the first time you backtrack a little bit and see they moved a little you do a double take. Then as you progress even further in the level they move farter each time and start reaching out towards you. Then at the end when they are all coming up the staircase right on top of you I was freaking the hell out.

I've barely touched the main game yet these level packs were just so good. And the hub world's are big with alot of stuff to find, races and little quest things to do. The hub worlds really shouldn't be overlooked and its worth getting the figs needed to unlock them. Besides Dr. Who and Portal I highly suggest making sure you get at least one fig that can fly and maybe a laser fig, but flying really helps out. Oh and some might want to know the Dr. Who set comes with an extra sonic screwdriver if you wanted to moc up another Dr.

Phon, you had a video of the airship propellers spinning when you were making it, right? Did you make a video of it working as a finished piece?

Great work, I need to take more time to look at the pictures later.

D6FAJFp.gif

Third best?

5AaVaYg.gif

According to your top list from last year, Super Secret Police Drop ship was the second best LEGO Movie set, so it is still below Sea Cow in your book. BOOM!

Phon, you had a video of the airship propellers spinning when you were making it, right? Did you make a video of it working as a finished piece?

Great work, I need to take more time to look at the pictures later.
I got a crappy video months ago of it in motion once I finished it, but might make a new one now that I have a remote control for it.

Gallery of the airship when I finished it 7 months ago.

50iaojx.gif

GIF of the airship in action from earlier this year. I haven't modified anything about it except adding an IR sensor hiding inside of it crudely.

True, nothing in the LEGO Movie theme can touch the Sea Cow.

Dropship is a strong second though.

It really was a tough call between Drop Ship and SPACESHIP! The nostalgia overload was a bit tough to overcome with SPACESHIP! though. Dropship is still a tip top tier set, even if the competition was very strong last year.

If anyone is looking for a really cool LEGO Star Wars book as a gift this year, might I recommend this:
51TIocbQRGL._SX419_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wonderful photographs throughout, and just a lot of fun. There are no unique builds or anything, just some fun and creative photos showing off Star Wars sets and figures.

If anyone is looking for a really cool LEGO Star Wars book as a gift this year, might I recommend this:
51TIocbQRGL._SX419_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wonderful photographs throughout, and just a lot of fun. There are no unique builds or anything, just some fun and creative photos showing off Star Wars sets and figures.

I haven't seen the book, but I've been following his LEGO photos for awhile on flickr. They are extremely well done. He has some great LEGO Indiana Jones photos too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/avanaut/

EDIT: Forgot to mention he was consulted for The LEGO Movie as his photos and techniques captured the eyes of the people behind The LEGO Movie.

I haven't seen the book, but I've been following his LEGO photos for awhile on flickr. They are extremely well done. He has some great LEGO Indiana Jones photos too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/avanaut/

EDIT: Forgot to mention he was consulted for The LEGO Movie as his photos and techniques captured the eyes of the people behind The LEGO Movie.

That explains a lot. And at the end of the book, he goes into the techniques he used to get the pictures. Like putting the sets into an aquarium and sifting baking powder into the tank to make it look like it was snowing on Hoth. There are really some fantastic photos in the book, and the cover is just the tip of the iceberg.

lehtimäki-wampa-snowtrooper.jpg

lehtimäki-luke-tauntaun.jpg

And I am biased. There are tons of Snowtrooper, aka the superior Imperial Trooper pics in the book.

Interesting price indeed... but only useful for non Death Star owners anyway ;P

If I was a kid I would have loved the set. It is interestingly constructed and features a lot move moving parts than I expected. A few decent play features too. WAY too expensive at MSRP in my books though.

Vader's helmet is cool.

So i just built the Morro Dragon and... it really is that good :) Nothing to complain here, it looks great, and is bigger than expected. The build was solid to good, especially the winding lines were a great touch i thought. It is very poseable too, maybe i'll take some pics later :) absolutely recommended!

Now i need to get Wu's Dragon, though i hear it is a bit smaller... (and less menacing obviously)

Ponn

Banned
So i just built the Morro Dragon and... it really is that good :) Nothing to complain here, it looks great, and is bigger than expected. The build was solid to good, especially the winding lines were a great touch i thought. It is very poseable too, maybe i'll take some pics later :) absolutely recommended!

Now i need to get Wu's Dragon, though i hear it is a bit smaller... (and less menacing obviously)

Excellent, everyone must own this set. I have Wu's dragon but haven't built it yet. They are both a great value as far as piece count goes. Wu's dragon is missing awesome wings like Morro Dragon though.

Excellent, everyone must own this set. I have Wu's dragon but haven't built it yet. They are both a great value as far as piece count goes. Wu's dragon is missing awesome wings like Morro Dragon though.

True about Wu's wings... However, with Morro Dragon i notice that when i have him standing on his rear legs, you can only see the underside of the wings which is NOT as impressive by a long shot as the top view :(

Which pose do you have him standing in?

Taisaijin

Ghostmind beaten to TLG news? I hope he's okay..

I'm sure this doesn't extend to all their licenses but one step closer to Nightmare Before Xmas figs!

ghostmind

Here's the product sheet - saw it this morning, but thought it looked a little sketchy. Was waiting on another source, but since it's out there now...

PHQrTcw.jpg

Ponn

Banned
True about Wu's wings... However, with Morro Dragon i notice that when i have him standing on his rear legs, you can only see the underside of the wings which is NOT as impressive by a long shot as the top view :(

Which pose do you have him standing in?

Just hanging out with his only friend

I have 4 long ass shelves now and its still crowded. I've stopped getting unnecessary sets but I still have too much Lego in storage. I also need to straighten my shelves out and take more sets down. I just love having the Monster Fighters stuff out though so I think i'm going to take my Vampyre's Castle back out and make a spooky shelf with the MF stuff and Scooby Doo, then a modular shelf, a Star Wars vehicles shelf and a superhero shelf.

Holy cow that Disney Minifig line is so awesome. I would love official Big Hero 6 figs, Nightmare Before Christmas and Fantasia figs. If this really takes off I wonder if they would consider partnering with Square-Enix and making Kingdom Hearts figs...oh my heart..SQUEEEAL

Here's the product sheet - saw it this morning, but thought it looked a little sketchy. Was waiting on another source, but since it's out there now...

HAHAHA - Ghostmind with that swagger "I knew this morning bro. I just didn't feel like posting ya know" Its alright ghostmind, you're good people. Now where is Echo Base??!! Get back in your Wampa Cave till you have it.

Eklipsis

I have a couple extra mad scientists and an extra skeleton trick or treater from the monsters minifigs if anyone has extras of the others and wants to trade. Or some from the other series also. (really want the welder)

Ryuuroden

92222.jpg

Good thing I ordered 24 of these for 25 cents each back when the LEGO Batpod was first revealed before the instruction book came out because they are now going for an average of 10 dollars each..... Tempted to sell them now but I was going to use them for the power reactor build in my Airship. I also didn't want to get screwed like I did when it came to the remote control lego Tachikoma and the Akira bike so I ordered them just in case.

92222.jpg

Good thing I ordered 24 of these for 25 cents each back when the LEGO Batpod was first revealed before the instruction book came out because they are now going for an average of 10 dollars each..... Tempted to sell them now but I was going to use them for the power reactor build in my Airship. I also didn't want to get screwed like I did when it came to the remote control lego Tachikoma and the Akira bike so I ordered them just in case.

You''re Scrooge McDuck cornering the market on rare LEGO elements. I just wanted to use Scrooge as a segway to that being one of the Disney minifigs they better make eventually.

Ryuuroden

You''re Scrooge McDuck cornering the market on rare LEGO elements. I just wanted to use Scrooge as a segway to that being one of the Disney minifigs they better make eventually.

Lol, I am just mad I didn't get more because the only reason I checked the price was because I was adding all the stuff i've picked up on Bricklink since July to my inventory on rebrickable and was 2nd guessing if I have enough for the airship since the reactor design changed. I have no choice now. I am not spending that much for more of them.

I wish the technic theme had more variety. Pretty much all of them are vehicles, and most the vehicles are some type of car or construction vehicle. It would be cool to see different things, like maybe a wind mill (that actually works in the wind), or robots with moveable arms and shit (maybe a punching motion). Things similar to the mind storms stuff but without the mind storms parts would be cool as well. Ive seen people make some pretty awesome things like horses with a realistic galloping motion too.

I got the compact tracked loader today because it has one of the more unique functions when it comes to the cheaper sets (operating the bucket is pretty cool). Most functions for sets in general seem to just be suspension, turning wheels, and moving a lifting arm of some sort up and down.

I will get Morro Dragon soon. The hype is too strong on here to ignore, and anything that gets that much love here has never disappointed. I am intentionally waiting to decide my top sets of the year until I get it.
Will Ninjago get two spots from me this year? I think my love for Temple of Airjitzu is well known.

Maengun1

I'm assuming the Disney minifigs will all have uniquely molded heads like the Simpsons ones. I know they were controversial, but I think they look much better than standard round heads for animated characters. There's just so much variation in the shapes.

I'm assuming the Disney minifigs will all have uniquely molded heads like the Simpsons ones. I know they were controversial, but I think they look much better than standard round heads for animated characters. There's just so much variation in the shapes.

It will be interesting. After the Simpsons, I strongly feel the heads need to he custom moulds if the source material is a very irregularly shaped head. For example, Scooby Doo works for the human characters. For something like Mickey Mouse, it needs unique moulds like the Simpsons did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom