• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
v4tDGXt.jpg

It's real and it's spectacular.

Missed out on this the first round when Big W brought it in for a nice $475. Despite ringing everywhere up and down the east coast Australia I couldn't get one last time.

Caught wind early of them getting more stock in this time and while they wouldn't "put my name down" on one, I hounded my local Big W and made sure I was there as soon as they got their stock in. Lucky too as they only got 1! Despite saying their order was for 3.

Gorgeous kit, absolute monster - pretty much dwarfs the other UCS sets in my collection and looks mighty impressive on show.

It's real and it's spectacular.

Missed out on this the first round when Big W brought it in for a nice $475. Despite ringing everywhere up and down the east coast Australia I couldn't get one last time.

Caught wind early of them getting more stock in this time and while they wouldn't "put my name down" on one, I hounded my local Big W and made sure I was there as soon as they got their stock in. Lucky too as they only got 1! Despite saying their order was for 3.

Gorgeous kit, absolute monster - pretty much dwarfs the other UCS sets in my collection and looks mighty impressive on show.

I have a love/hate relationship with the set. It was a really fun build, and is an intimidating monster when completed. It just looks powerful and imposing when on display. But it still feels lacking somewhat in the end, as many parts still look almost crude even when finished.

I did like the micro build vehicles and planes near the end of it though.

I have a love/hate relationship with the set. It was a really fun build, and is an intimidating monster when completed. It just looks powerful and imposing when on display. But it still feels lacking somewhat in the end, as many parts still look almost crude even when finished.

Literally my only complaint is the printed runway(s) not lining up perfectly.

Got shipped a box full of ancient sets that were languishing in a closet since I was a kid. Harry potter parts getting assimilated into medieval setssssss. Fluffy gets to become Drac's watchdog.

My mom also gave me her entire CMF collection :,( She moved and de-cluttered. It was the catalyst for dumping the childhood closet-space-occupiers on me as well. I think she still has arthur weasley's car and a lot of movie minifigs from star wars, HP, lotr, and maybe indie sets on display though. I gained 11 or 12 CMFs I didn't have before across a bunch of series going back to.. .holy shit. I thought they went back to series 4 or 5 but the series 1 nurse and series 2 pharaoh were in there. crazy. she was collecting these before I had any idea they existed by like a year.

I should catalog my cmf collection and find some trades someplace.

Where's the best place to grab these:

h4lsx7D.jpg

In bulk these days? Bricklink? Ebay?

I've seen some packs on Ebay 10x for about 15 plus shipping, is that about what they go for?

h4lsx7D.jpg

I've seen some packs on Ebay 10x for about 15 plus shipping, is that about what they go for?

No idea on price, but buying lots of CMF will next you a lot of them. I used a ton of them when constructing the roof to the church in my Halloween MOC recently. Building the Helicarrier convinced me to try and incorporate them somehow.

No idea on price, but buying lots of CMF will next you a lot of them. I used a ton of them when constructing the roof to the church in my Halloween MOC recently. Building the Helicarrier convinced me to try and incorporate them somehow.

Bricklink is pretty safe right? Seeing loads of them on there now for anywhere between like 22c and $1 each.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm assuming the Disney minifigs will all have uniquely molded heads like the Simpsons ones. I know they were controversial, but I think they look much better than standard round heads for animated characters. There's just so much variation in the shapes.
I hope head molds are just for the Ducks and Mickey etc.

Humans should get the normal minifig heads.
Would love to get The Beast though

h4lsx7D.jpg

Bricklink is kind of overpriced for these. I've bought a lot from others in my LUG, and of course used a bunch I've gotten from my own CMF:s.

Bricklink is pretty safe right? Seeing loads of them on there now for anywhere between like 22c and $1 each.

Yes Bricklink tends to be good since it's mostly fellow TFOLs and AFOLs.
Wow, I didn't think they went for that much. I have a few hundred of them from all the CMFs I have. I wonder what most people build with those that drove up the demand. I think it was SiegfriedFM here that used them for his streets/roads.

Oh, just realized a lot of people probably use them as stands for non-CMF minifigs. Duh.

Iron Man Deep Sea Mk. 37 Suit (missing an armor piece), from set 76048:

lAXyHAX.jpg

I'm really digging the colors on this one.

Excellent! I hope the space Iron Man is different too. Iron Man is the Batman for Marvel LEGO sets. I wonder which one has the most variants.
That suit has a copper rust feel to it. Perfect for something in the water.

rust+copper.jpeg

I want them to do Iron Man variants to the max. Iron Man bedtime pajamas, Artic Iron Man, etc

bring on the disney minifigure leaks!

hoping for mickey, goofy, donald to be among wave 1. I need my Kingdom Hearts Trio! :p

At this point i think it's just as possible that they will NOT include the classics since Peter Pan and Hook seem to be "confirmed" already? It may just be different Disney movie properties but NOT the classic characters. I mean how would they justify making SOME of those but not others? If they do Donald, they kinda have to make Scrooge, and/or the 3 nephews etc. but then most of the 16 spots would probably already be taken and they'd be lacking variety.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah you could be right, it might be movie characters only... that could end up nice but the prospect of having mickey, donald, goofy and some other classic characters is way more exciting.

I have gone back and forth so many times on this set. Part of me regrets buying the Death Star due to the size and I fear this would suffer the same fate (best star still in my pile of shame).

I love the look of the little builds and the micro figs though. Just...where to display it?

The Best Star is much easier to display than the Helicarrier. You just need a mostly square footprint for the Best Star, while Helicarrier is not only wide, but deeper than a lot of sets. At least it doesn't take up a lot of vertical space.

And holy crap, this thread is rapidly approaching max size. I really need to start working on the next OT.

ghostmind

For the price of this set, I'm a little disappointed, especially with the number of stickers. It doesn't feel like we are getting an equal number of prints, like we did on the Kwik-e-Mart.

EDIT: On second thought, I am impressed by all the cool furniture builds and detail (both internal and external).

ghostmind

A note from Marcos Bessa on parking the ECTO-1:

You need to remove the ground-floor's furniture (they are easily removable) in order to have room to park the car and close the doors, but the Ecto-1 does go through the entrance!   it was the compromise I had to make between making the car "fit the model" without leaving a big empty space in the ground-floor and compromising on details like Janine or Peter's desks.

ghostmind

Would this be a set worth making a thread on the main forum about? Only to watch everyone freak about the price? :)

I was waiting on these pics and the designer video, but it sounds like the video (and the Brick Bank video) are still forthcoming, so sure, I can put this up on the OT.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
OOOOOOOOOOOOH MAAAAAAAAAAAN I can't wait!!! Love how it opens too. Too bad they couldn't find a way to make an actual basement for the containment unit, but I understand.

EDIT - Wait a second!! Why they screwing Winston over again!?!?!?! No locker or bed for him? C'mon man.

Would this be a set worth making a thread on the main forum about? Only to watch everyone freak about the price? :)

LOL probably...

also: Where are the containment cells in the basement? Or was that only in Real Ghostbusters and/or a completely different building? (I also just noticed there IS no basement here so nevermind)

Looks awesome, and it seems like the opening mechanism will (mostly) fit in my intended street space.

The only real question is: how do I decide between building this and Brick Bank first?

For the price of this set, I'm a little disappointed, especially with the number of stickers. It doesn't feel like we are getting an equal number of prints, like we did on the Kwik-e-Mart.

EDIT: On second thought, I am impressed by all the cool furniture builds and detail (both internal and external).
The furniture and micro builds are always the best parts of Bessa sets in my opinion. That is where he shines the most.

Ponn

Banned
I cannot wait till Jan. 1st. My only complaint is while I appreciate all the detail on the inside of building like this and Haunted House it's rarely ever seen. The building itself here is very iconic but unfortunately its naturally going to be a bit boring since its based on an actual building. The haunted house was easily spruced up and looked awesome on the outside.

I have gone back and forth so many times on this set. Part of me regrets buying the Death Star due to the size and I fear this would suffer the same fate (best star still in my pile of shame).

I love the look of the little builds and the micro figs though. Just...where to display it?

You make room for the Helicarrier, thats all their is to it. I haven't bought the Death Star because I just don't care for the look of it for display purposes. I guess its the conundrum I mentioned about the GB HQ and what do you do to display detailed insides. The Helicarrier though is just so awesome and imposing on display. You feel like that one kid that actually owned the USS FLAGG. The microbuilds are indeed awesome and everytime I walk by I move them around a little bit along with the nano figures.

Koren

I'm interested in the HQ, but not sure I want to jump on it on january the 1st... Is there really a chance of a really short shelf life?

I'm interested in the HQ, but not sure I want to jump on it on january the 1st... Is there really a chance of a really short shelf life?

Kinda depends on how it is classifed at Lego's too i think... It is not an Ideas set correct? Those seem to have comparatively shorter shelf life so... if it's just a Creator Expert set it should have at least 2 years, if it's Ideas, all bets are off i suppose but a year seems reasonable either way as a minimum amount of shelf time i guess.

Kinda depends on how it is classifed at Lego's too i think... It is not an Ideas set correct? Those seem to have comparatively shorter shelf life so... if it's just a Creator Expert set it should have at least 2 years, if it's Ideas, all bets are off i suppose but a year seems reasonable either way as a minimum amount of shelf time i guess.

It's not Ideas, and Lego will be releasing more Ghostbusters sets to coincide with the all-female Paul Feig Ghostbusters movie. I'd suspect that Lego will want this one around for a little while at least.

If you want it soon, though, I'm guessing you'll have to act fast, because it will probably go out of stock quickly, and you'll have to wait for a restock.

Koren

Kinda depends on how it is classifed at Lego's too i think... It is not an Ideas set correct?
I don't think it is "anymore". As long as it's not a "get it ASAP or pay twice the price on ebay", I'm fine.

If you want it soon, though, I'm guessing you'll have to act fast, because it will probably go out of stock quickly, and you'll have to wait for a restock.
I don't need it soon, but I don't want to regret not buying it when I had the chance. I'll probably have better things to do on the 1st of january than surfing the Lego store...

In fact, I have several 150€+ sets still sealed and waiting to be built (I lack shelf space) and I still need to buy a couple of them (DO, Slave 1, Kwik-e-Mart and maybe Helicarrier)...

I don't need it soon, but I don't want to regret not buying it when I had the chance. I'll probably have better things to do on the 1st of january than surfing the Lego store...

In fact, I have several 150€+ sets still sealed and waiting to be built (I lack shelf space) and I still need to buy a couple of them (DO, Slave 1, Kwik-e-Mart and maybe Helicarrier)...

I'm in the same boat. If Amazon has it and I can get it without paying tax, I may jump in immediately. Otherwise, I can wait.

Let's hear it for Alabama! We haven't had the new C3P0 promo in Canada yet but a TRU in Alabama just sold me some without the minimum buy.

They also had every Bricktober set for sale on the shelves, including last year's fire station. In Canada they send them back to LEGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom