• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brown 2x6s, I think from Helms Deep, crumbled as I tried to take them apart. Two were out, but not anywhere near a window, and they were under other bricks so not exposed to light. The other two were in a box in the closet.

X9fneoZ.jpg

The two that broke first were part of the Helms Deep gate, which I was modifying for a moc. Since those broke I pulled out two replacements and those crumbled as I was trying out different shapes for the door. The second 2 may have been from Vampyr Castle, but not sure since I hadn't sorted that box.

I guess I'll hit up S@H for replacements but this makes me think there was a defect in this particular piece/color.

Fishlake

The brown 2x6s, I think from Helms Deep, crumbled as I tried to take them apart. Two were out, but not anywhere near a window, and they were under other bricks so not exposed to light. The other two were in a box in the closet.

That is quite the break up. I'm amazed it held on that tight. Was it in a heated and cooling area perhaps it expanded and contracted too much.

I have only had hinges and droid arms fall apart. I do see cracks in some of my mixel pieces though but thankfully not the ball joints.

iosefe

great day!

turns out we still had two holiday trains left over from the promo in store and i'm probably walking out with one when my shift is over. yay!

That is quite the break up. I'm amazed it held on that tight. Was it in a heated and cooling area perhaps it expanded and contracted too much.
Nothing the rest of my apartment hasn't gone through, although it is Hawaii so if I'm not running the a/c it will be in the low 90s. When I run the a/c I only take it down to the low 80s. I'm used to cheap plastic crumbling after several years, but this is the first time LEGO has shattered on me, and these pieces are only 3 years old. The other pieces connected to them were ok, and they were standard connections, and I was using a brick separator. I put in a claim on S&H and I'm hoping they email me so I can send them the picture.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hmm... So guys, do I want to get Temple of Airjitzu this weekend and get Enter the Serpent for free? Or do I want to get it next weekend and get Double VIP points and the Gingerbread House for free to go along with the other three Holiday/Christmas sets I got recently (Winter Toy Shop, Santa's Workshop, and the Holiday Train)?
Or do I not want to spend $200 on Temple of Airjitzu at all (even though as a kid the ninja theme was my absolute favorite and I really dig the look of the Temple of Airjitzu...)?

neonglow

Hmm... So guys, do I want to get Temple of Airjitzu this weekend and get Enter the Serpent for free? Or do I want to get it next weekend and get Double VIP points and the Gingerbread House for free to go along with the other three Holiday/Christmas sets I got recently (Winter Toy Shop, Santa's Workshop, and the Holiday Train)?
Or do I not want to spend $200 on Temple of Airjitzu at all (even though as a kid the ninja theme was my absolute favorite and I really dig the look of the Temple of Airjitzu...)?

Option 1: $200
Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent

Option 2: $200
Temple of Airjitzu
Gingerbread House
2016 Wall Calendar with 3 free items
Double VIP - Extra $10 Store Credit

The temple is a great set that you will probably end up getting at some point. The question really is if you value Enter the Serpent more than the other 3 items. I personally went with Enter the Serpent.

Kipp

The temple is a great set that you will probably end up getting at some point. The question really is if you value Enter the Serpent more than the other 3 items. I personally went with Enter the Serpent.

Thanks for laying out the options like that!
But yeah, I think I do value Enter the Serpent more than the other three items. I definitely wouldn't buy it for $60, but I do like it quite a bit. Like, I'd say it's worth maybe $35 to me?
The main reasons that Option 2 seems nice (though not necessarily better than Option 1) is that: A) I could order it online and wouldn't have to figure out a way to get to one of the LEGO stores which are at least 45 minutes away from me, and B) since I'll already be putting together a LEGO Christmas setup, it'd be cool to have another item to add to the setup.
Although with that said, I just realized I could always order another item next weekend and get the best of both worlds...

Edit: Oh wait, would anyone happen to be interested in trading the Gingerbread House promo set (and probably something small or a tiny bit of cash or something) for an unopened X-Men vs. The Sentinel set? That'd make this decision way easier.

neonglow

Thanks for laying out the options like that!
But yeah, I think I do value Enter the Serpent more than the other three items. I definitely wouldn't buy it for $60, but I do like it quite a bit. Like, I'd say it's worth maybe $35 to me?
The main reasons that Option 2 seems nice (though not necessarily better than Option 1) is that: A) I could order it online and wouldn't have to figure out a way to get to one of the LEGO stores which are at least 45 minutes away from me, and B) since I'll already be putting together a LEGO Christmas setup, it'd be cool to have another item to add to the setup.
Although with that said, I just realized I could always order another item next weekend and get the best of both worlds...

If you do option 1, you should call ahead and have them put both sets aside for you. Don't want you to make the trip and go home empty handed.

BTW, the store calendar is only an in-store offer since the free items it comes with can only be redeemed in-store for next year. To get everything in either option, you'll have to make a trip either way.

Kipp

If you do option 1, you should call ahead and have them put both sets aside for you. Don't want you to make the trip and go home empty handed.

BTW, the store calendar is only an in-store offer since the free items it comes with can only be redeemed in-store for next year. To get everything in either option, you'll have to make a trip either way.

Yeah, I've already called and they've got a good amount of stock left. I also asked if they still had the Holiday Train promo still, but they didn't. That would've sealed the deal. I already have one, but it would've been awesome to be able to put two of them together to form a Super-Holiday Train.

And good to know, but the calendar is basically a non-factor for me in this situation. Thanks for letting me know though!

TheFuzz

One of the 1x1 clips from my ecto-1 did the same. Just fell apart for no reason. Didn't even move it and it's been on a shelf in our bonus room.

Kipp

So I'm pretty certain I'm heading to the LEGO store tonight to pick up Temple of Airjitzu and Enter the Serpent. :D

robochimp

One of the 1x1 clips from my ecto-1 did the same. Just fell apart for no reason. Didn't even move it and it's been on a shelf in our bonus room.

Two of the yellow levers from the hummingbird's flower kept on just falling off,while just sitting on a shelf. I finally looked at them and both were cracked.

ruxtpin

Banned
Two of the yellow levers from the hummingbird's flower kept on just falling off,while just sitting on a shelf. I finally looked at them and both were cracked.

I'll need to make sure when I fill out the Lego Store surveys to mention the quality of the bricks. I've had some stuff crack and noticed certain minifigs seem really pliable (almost like their ABS mix was weaker or something).

Kipp

Temple of Airjitzu and Enter the Serpent are mine!

And while I was at the mall I stopped inside the Tesla storefront they had there and they had free bread and brie and free drinks! I got a nice IPA for free. It was amazing. Best night ever. All thanks to my insatiable desire for LEGO.

Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent

Temple of Airjitzu
Gingerbread House

You still get VIP points for option 1 so you be fair:
VIP - Extra $5 Store Credit for option 1.

Option 3:
$200
Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent
VIP - Extra $5 Store Credit

~$100 of random LEGO sets
Gingerbread House

I definitely am starting to question quality assurance of LEGO. Signs of growing pains and trying to maintain high quality with all the newer production facilities.

I've noticed tolerance differences enough that clutch is sorely lacking on multiple occasions.

DJ_Lae

My oldest daughter and I had the day to ourselves with my wife and the other kids away - I decided to crack open one of my Christmas gifts to myself a little early and let her build the Milano.

Ended up helping a bit as the wings were a little tricky, but there are some neat techniques in there I didn't expect. I also didn't expect the joint at the front of the ship to be slightly askew (and it's in the manual, I originally thought I did something wrong).

qurhxmc.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at its size. It was a fun build and as much fun to run around the house with it in my hand.

edit - I also have a gripe I'm sure others share - with four women in the house, most with long hair, I find that every time I assemble Lego I'm constantly having to stop to pull hairs out that I've managed to catch between pieces after I snap them together. This happens whether I've vacuumed recently or not, I swear there's a cloud of long hairs that sneak on top of every exposed Lego stud, waiting for me to lock them in place.

So the Disney CMF has 18 minifigs!

http://i.imgur.com/1ytgDYL

Very interesting. It will allow them to give almost an equal amount of each character if they wanted.

I'm worried making it 18 seems like they are trying to put as many characters into one series because they don't plan any other ones in the near future. If they were doing 2 waves like the Simpsons or more, they could have stuck to 16. Or I'm just over analyzing it which is usually the case.

Are the green pigs children of Kermit and Miss Piggy?
Design fits the Angry Birds design and is well done. I just don't have any interest in that design.
I won't mind picking up a few of the Angry Bird sets, but only on heavy clearance/discount.

My oldest daughter and I had the day to ourselves with my wife and the other kids away - I decided to crack open one of my Christmas gifts to myself a little early and let her build the Milano.

Ended up helping a bit as the wings were a little tricky, but there are some neat techniques in there I didn't expect. I also didn't expect the joint at the front of the ship to be slightly askew (and it's in the manual, I originally thought I did something wrong).

qurhxmc.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised at its size. It was a fun build and as much fun to run around the house with it in my hand.

Did you swoosh it around the room? I just got mine and swooshed it. Definitely a great build and has a nice uniqueness to it.

Kipp

Option 3:
$200
Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent

Gingerbread House

Definitely think I'm gonna go for this option. There are a pretty good handful of sets I've been meaning to pick up that I haven't yet, so spending $100 more shouldn't be difficult.

Just noticed this ball and chain element. Is it new?

I saw the promo image on ToysNBricks webiste.

zZDy5iS.jpg

They used a regular chain with a technic ball connected in the past and just angled the photo so it wasn't obvious such as the one below.

vj7CCpq.jpg

In that Ninjago promo pack, it's clear the ball is connected directly to the chain link. No stud involved.

Fowler

edit - I also have a gripe I'm sure others share - with four women in the house, most with long hair, I find that every time I assemble Lego I'm constantly having to stop to pull hairs out that I've managed to catch between pieces after I snap them together. This happens whether I've vacuumed recently or not, I swear there's a cloud of long hairs that sneak on top of every exposed Lego stud, waiting for me to lock them in place.

I know what you mean. My dog used to shed everywhere, and no matter how hard I tried, I know there's quite a lot of his hair buried in the Death Star. I had to put him down last week, but in a weird way it made me smile realising that there's still quite a lot of him scattered around my LEGO collection!

neonglow

Option 3:
$200
Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent

Gingerbread House

I wasn't including the regular VIP points but if I do, it looks more like this:

Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent
VIP - $10 Store Credit

Temple of Airjitzu
Gingerbread House
Double VIP - $20 Store Credit

Option 3: $100
~$100 worth of sets
Gingerbread House
Double VIP - $10 Store Credit

Here's the 3 Wall Calendar promo items:

January - March: Parrot polybag set
April - June: 100 VIP points or $5 Store Credit (Could use that for a Mixel or keychain?)
July - September: Nexo Knight minifigure

s-l1600.jpg

Toxi

Banned
so uh

even though I was told the Slave 1 was a better deal, I got the UCS TIE anyway

and I'm kinda happy I did, because DAMN THIS THING'S BIG

And not just big in terms of volume. The UCS TIE is so solid and heavy it could probably be used as a murder weapon.

I uploaded a short video to give people a taste of flying around as wicked witch in Dimensions along with graphics and size of the world. This is just the Emerald City in Oz.
https://youtu.be/daPGYisXs1s

As someone very interested in getting Dimensions... while this looks very good, it feels like there really isn't all that much to do in terms of activities? The city looks pretty empty and sterile doesn't it? I also don't see many things built out of bricks there hmmm...

As someone very interested in getting Dimensions... while this looks very good, it feels like there really isn't all that much to do in terms of activities? The city looks pretty empty and sterile doesn't it? I also don't see many things built out of bricks there hmmm...

The hub worlds don't have that much to do and they're 99% not brick built (not counting the TLM world, I'm assuming). It's mostly for flavour. There's much more stuff in the actual levels.

Also, I just realized that even though I've collected all the special powers for my portal, there's still another 10 levels to go! Damn, this game is packed with stuff!

Osahi

Is the Gingerbread House and double VIP also an European promotion?

My wife finally pulled the gun on the Winter Toy Shop, and when I wanted to order it in S@H I saw the Holiday Train promo is over... So I'd rather wait in the house now

Is the Gingerbread House and double VIP also an European promotion?

My wife finally pulled the gun on the Winter Toy Shop, and when I wanted to order it in S@H I saw the Holiday Train promo is over... So I'd rather wait in the house now

Wondering this as well... We've just HAD double VIP in October but then so did the US so... I NEED the Gingerbread house so it better be!!!

so uh

even though I was told the Slave 1 was a better deal, I got the UCS TIE anyway

and I'm kinda happy I did, because DAMN THIS THING'S BIG

And not just big in terms of volume. The UCS TIE is so solid and heavy it could probably be used as a murder weapon.
Slave 1 is a better build, but the TIE is better looking I think. But I am biased since the TIE is probably my favorite fighter ship in the series.

Kipp

Just started building Enter the Serpent (obviously going to build the smaller set before I get to the main attraction). I'm digging it so much so far. The ninja theme was my very favorite as a kid, so on top of just being some sweet designs in general, this is hitting all the nostalgia buttons for me. Just a joy to build.

ghostmind

The hub worlds don't have that much to do and they're 99% not brick built (not counting the TLM world, I'm assuming). It's mostly for flavour. There's much more stuff in the actual levels.

Also, I just realized that even though I've collected all the special powers for my portal, there's still another 10 levels to go! Damn, this game is packed with stuff!

Dimensions is going to be a monster. Brickset has 22 sets listed that we haven't even heard about yet.

Ponn

Banned

I had just destroyed the garden out front for studs but that was just a quick flyby. I thought the castle looked so nice flying around it. The base world is not brick built but there is still alot of brick built stuff and i even picked up some ideas. The hub worlds are just your typical lego game. mini games, races, puzzles and a few patches of enemies with alot of destroying everything. Im personally just impressed with the design and relative sizes of them. Ive been spending whole days just running around one hub world doing shit. If i feel better later i will boot Oz back up later and record a better fly through of the entire world to give you a better idea.

Rootbeer

Banned
I want to know more about the Dimensions multi-year strategy.

Other toys to life games release a new box set every year. Disney Infinity 1.0, 2.0, 3.0. etc. Skylanders, same thing

Dimensions is very clear about not requiring a new starter pack every year. They say this, but they will have to do some sort of refresh in order to compete with the other games that get all new starter sets every year.

The starter content in Dimensions is fine and all, but there's so much room for improvement... I want to see them add lots of new story content and new gameplay elements. If they only do new level packs and team packs it feels very limited in how they can expand the core game, unless their plans are very different from tradition (such as very extensive patches to the original starter that add these things.)

ghostmind

I want to know more about the Dimensions multi-year strategy.

Other toys to life games release a new box set every year. Disney Infinity 1.0, 2.0, 3.0. etc. Skylanders, same thing

Dimensions is very clear about not requiring a new starter pack every year. They say this, but they will have to do some sort of refresh in order to compete with the other games that get all new starter sets every year.

The starter content in Dimensions is fine and all, but there's so much room for improvement... I want to see them add lots of new story content and new gameplay elements. If they only do new level packs and team packs it feels very limited in how they can expand the core game, unless their plans are very different from tradition (such as very extensive patches to the original starter that add these things.)

My guess is that they are going to release a new "main game" each year on disk, download, and in new starter packs for those who are just starting. The original portal would continue to work with the new game, but I wouldn't put it past them to add an incentive to get the new starter each year.

I'm wondering, given the number of packs they are releasing, how they are going to manage compatibility of "old" packs in the new game, and "new" packs in the old game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom