• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished building Enter the Serpent! Really fun build and a great looking set. The ninja temple theme hit so much nostalgia for me. Just awesome.
Now I'm going to start Temple of Airjitzu! Woo!

ghostmind

Just finished building Enter the Serpent! Really fun build and a great looking set. The ninja temple theme hit so much nostalgia for me. Just awesome.
Now I'm going to start Temple of Airjitzu! Woo!

I don't have Enter the Serpent, but I've built other Ninjago temples in the past. You are in for a treat with the Temple of Airjitzu - it's on a whole other level than the other Ninjago buildings.

ghostmind

Resistance Trooper, from the upcoming Battle Pack:

EXJeEKX.jpg

Continuing the trend of molded plastic visors, rather than prints on the face.

Mighty Micros: http://imgur.com/a/Jykd1

The Marvel ones are very preliminary, as they release a couple months later than the DC micros.

I like how they used the big fig Hulk hands. I can easily pass on those unless I needed some extra super hero heads and torsos.

I wasn't including the regular VIP points but if I do, it looks more like this:

Option 1: $200
Temple of Airjitzu
Enter the Serpent
VIP - $10 Store Credit

Option 2: $200
Temple of Airjitzu
Gingerbread House
2016 Wall Calendar with 3 free items
Double VIP - $20 Store Credit

Option 3: $100
~$100 worth of sets
Gingerbread House
2016 Wall Calendar with 3 free items
Double VIP - $10 Store Credit

Ooops, misread and did the math wrong late last night. You were correct.

Kipp

Oh man. Just finished bag one of Temple of Airjitzu and I'm already in love. Besides all the stuff I've already said about just loving the ninja theme in general, this is absolutely the perfect LEGO set for me.
See, really the only sets that interest me are the ones that are big, impressive display pieces. Namely the modulars. However, the modulars (and other "expert" sets) are so tedious and such a chore for me to build. Even though they look amazing, the fact that I really don't enjoy building them has kind of soured me to those kinds of sets.
However, the Temple of Airjitzu is giant, gorgeous, and impressive while still using relatively basic, non-expert building techniques which make for the relaxing and fun building that I truly enjoy.
So yes, what a wonderful, wonderful set. And I'm only barely getting started. So happy I purchased this (and really happy I got Enter the Serpent for free as well; again, I really dug that set).

Toxi

Banned
Slave 1 is a better build, but the TIE is better looking I think. But I am biased since the TIE is probably my favorite fighter ship in the series.
The TIE is definitely not a fun build. Those wings are absurdly monotonous.

But the final result is just gorgeous. And HUGE.

And it's so tough that it's very swooshable.

Kipp

Man, in the Temple of Airjitzu manual, there was a little Q&A thing with the designer, and he mentioned the Fire Temple which I hadn't heard of until then. Just looked it up and it's so awesome. Such a shame it goes for pretty high prices now... I might have to bite the bullet though. In a matter of hours I've become a massive Ninjago fan. Mainly the temples though.

I just got lucky on a flea market and picked up Gold Leader's Y-Wing (just the ship with no figs and no instructions and no box) already built for 10 bucks :)) Now i just need to get myself that droid and a Y-Wing Pilot and i will have the classic OT armada of rebel ships completed!!

Ponn

Banned
My guess is that they are going to release a new "main game" each year on disk, download, and in new starter packs for those who are just starting. The original portal would continue to work with the new game, but I wouldn't put it past them to add an incentive to get the new starter each year.

I'm wondering, given the number of packs they are releasing, how they are going to manage compatibility of "old" packs in the new game, and "new" packs in the old game.

Ok I did a better more thorough flythrough of Oz video. I tried to show every part of oz but you can explore the castles a bit and there are quests for characters. Some stuff like the ghosts puzzle will have to come back to with Venkman. I also added the surprise reveal at the end that kinda blew me away. I found it as I was going through that flying race and my jaw dropped. If you don't want to be spoiled by it turn the video off right as I start the flying race on top of the witches castle.

I also showed a bit of the base world and how getting into the adventure worlds work for those that haven't seen it. I think the way they did it easily sets them up for future expansion packs by just adding the portals to new ones. The same with new Story modes as you access the story by just jumping into the big portal. Since I got the game they have already had two 6 gb patches so I foresee them adding the patches as new level packs come out. For instance i'm betting the most recent one last week is the Ghostbuster level pack probably for early previews and since it comes out the first of the year.

Kipp

Ah geez... I'm officially sucked back in to LEGO. Had to stop building the Temple of Airjitzu since I had to go to work and I've been thinking about LEGO the whole time I've been at work. Lol

Also, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna get the Attack of the Morro Dragon and Master Wu's Dragon next weekend to take advantage of the free Gingerbread House and Double VIP. Haha

Ah geez... I'm officially sucked back in to LEGO. Had to stop building the Temple of Airjitzu since I had to go to work and I've been thinking about LEGO the whole time I've been at work. Lol

Also, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna get the Attack of the Morro Dragon and Master Wu's Dragon next weekend to take advantage of the free Gingerbread House and Double VIP. Haha

Thinking Morro Dragon and the final seasonal sets if they are still available online. I want to go nuts with double VIP, but am saving up for Christmas gifts and Ghostbusters in January.
Morro Dragon is the last must have for me this year based on impressions in here. I think I will be skipping Kwik-E-Mart in the end.

I know its early, but here's my top five lego sets I bought this year. (Not just sets that came out this year)

I'm probably not getting another lego set this year so I don't see a reason not to do it now.

1. General Grevious

He's not the best looking set I've bought and not the best build, but damn if I can't think of another lego set that I've enjoyed so much. He's just so huge, and so fun to pose. And is great as a display piece when you get him into a badass pose. Probably one of my favorite "Bionicle" styled sets ever, if not my favorite.

2. Hive Crawler
I know this isn't a 2015 set but phon was kind enough to give this to me with a cheap price tag and this guy turned out to be one of the best purchases I made in 2015. The set looks great, and it has one of the best lego functions I've seen. Only problem is that there's a tad too many stickers. Its hard to get better than this when it comes to a play set.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Milano Spaceship
I'm a huge fan of the movie, and boy does this set do the ship justice. The swooshability factor is unparalled. A good build and a nice profile, with plenty of figures to boot. Easily one of my favorite lego ships.

4. TIE Advanced Prototype

Easily my favorite build of the year. So many interesting connections and I love how the wings are attached. Looks great too, and I love the inquisitor figure. Its a steal for the price.

5. Bionicle 2015
I can't pick a favorite because I always flip flop between which Toa I like the most (I got all of them lol), but bionicle was a huge part of my Lego hobby this year so I had to put something on the list to represent it. So I chose all of them! Its a great return for the series and things like the Gearbox and increased technic functionality are welcome additions to the line. Can't wait to get my hands on the 2016 sets.

Best line:

Yet again, Star Wars has had some awesome sets this year. And I haven't even gotten to the Force Awakens stuff. The only one that really comes close to this consistently is the Creator line, in my opinion.

Best Mixel:

Kramm

I love him. He's got a very unique look and personality, and is one of the bigger mixels. Actually the whole Weldos theme is probably one of my favorites. Looking forward to the 2016 mixels sets. Seems they're continuing in this direction with creative themes.

Toxi

Banned
The Bionicle 2015 winter wave was so amazing for me as a long-time Bionicle fan. After the years of stagnant designs leading up to Bionicle's death with only a few blips of creativity, the reboot threw tons of awesome ideas out in the very first volley. Skull spiders, gold masks, gear boxes modified to allow for poseability, secondary modes like those the Nuva had but more involved, just so much. The summer sets were a bit disappointing in comparison (Though I love Skull Basher to death), but it looks like next year's winter wave will be just as exciting.

My favorite individual set I purchased this year? Probably the Volkswagen Camper Van. Just a marvelous playset bursting with detail. The Ferrari and Mini-Cooper were also great, but the Camper Van blew me away and was what sparked my re-entry into LEGO in general. I never thought I'd be so into LEGO cars.

Shouldn't a best of 2015 list be limited to sets that were released in 2015?
The majority of sets I bought this year weren't released in 2015 so I didn't see a reason to limit it to that (and I also said in my post that this wasnt a best of 2015 list, just my top five sets I got)

Osahi

My top sets for 2015 are Detective's Office and Wall E (despite the neck). Two brilliant display pieces and fun builds.

I also like the TFA series a lot. The Falcon might be close to what we got before, it is still awesome. The Rey Speeder is one of my favourite little sets and I even like the overpriced Special Forces Tie Fighter, as it's so bulky and imposing.

My favourite sets I build this yeare ar the Space Ship³ and At-AP though. And my favourite one regarding the looks (apart from Wall E and DO) is the AT-AT, though I didn't like the build that much.

I am deliberately waiting until I get Morro Dragon next weekend before making a list. And maybe waiting a week after that just to get Doctor Who.

But I know that whittling down my top sets for this year is going to be very, very tough. There was a ton of great stuff.

The Bionicle 2015 winter wave was so amazing for me as a long-time Bionicle fan. After the years of stagnant designs leading up to Bionicle's death with only a few blips of creativity, the reboot threw tons of awesome ideas out in the very first volley. Skull spiders, gold masks, gear boxes modified to allow for poseability, secondary modes like those the Nuva had but more involved, just so much. The summer sets were a bit disappointing in comparison (Though I love Skull Basher to death), but it looks like next year's winter wave will be just as exciting.

My favorite individual set I purchased this year? Probably the Volkswagen Camper Van. Just a marvelous playset bursting with detail. The Ferrari and Mini-Cooper were also great, but the Camper Van blew me away and was what sparked my re-entry into LEGO in general. I never thought I'd be so into LEGO cars.

I feel like the same boat in terms of Bionicle 2015. I have a soft spot for the original first wave of original Bionicle toys, so 2015s release hit all the right parts for me. I love my Skull Basher tons as well but yeah, skull crew overall was weak.

My biggest interest is to see how much I'll enjoy the more Technic type builds in 2016 versus the more Constraction/CCBS type builds in 2015.

Toxi

Banned
I feel like the same boat in terms of Bionicle 2015. I have a soft spot for the original first wave of original Bionicle toys, so 2015s release hit all the right parts for me. I love my Skull Basher tons as well but yeah, skull crew overall was weak.

My biggest interest is to see how much I'll enjoy the more Technic type builds in 2016 versus the more Constraction/CCBS type builds in 2015.
We're already getting a larger villain set in the 2016 winter wave with Umarak, solving one of the main issues people had with this year's lot. He's not on the level of complexity as some of the old titans and huge sets, but he does have some very cool custom legs. And the combining mechanic between the beasts and Toa looks like a blast to play with. The future of Bionicle looks brighter than it has since 2007.

And don't get me wrong, the summer wave wasn't bad outside Skull Scorpio, I think Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder and Skull Basher are awesome sets. It's just they were rather uninspired outside of Skull Basher.
Shouldn't a best of 2015 list be limited to sets that were released in 2015?
I only started collecting LEGO again in 2015 though. :p

Limiting to just 2015, I'd probably go with either the Ferrari or the Bionicle 2015 winter wave as a whole. The Ferrari is gorgeous and a lot of fun to put together (the way the front hood is done is genius) and I've already sung the praises of the Bionicle reboot. I also think Treasure Island (the small pirate set with the skull island and the crocodile) is a fantastic playset and easily the best in the pirate line. You get two pirates, a soldier, a parrot, a crocodile, a boat, a cannon, a cool-looking island with a neat action feature, and a treasure chest, all for just 20 bucks. If you're going to get any set in the new Pirate line, get that one.

I think all the brown pieces in my collection are suspect. Seems like all the ones I have except the 1x2s are breaking with the pressure of being taken apart with a brick separator. They are chipping off in the separator. I'm collecting a bag to report to LEGO.

Toxi

Banned
I think all the brown pieces in my collection are suspect. Seems like all the ones I have except the 1x2s are breaking with the pressure of being taken apart with a brick separator. They are chipping off in the separator. I'm collecting a bag to report to LEGO.
At least you have to put pressure on them for anything to happen.

Meanwhile in 2007...

dFMaHvx.jpg

We're already getting a larger villain set in the 2016 winter wave with Umarak, solving one of the main issues people had with this year's lot. He's not on the level of complexity as some of the old titans and huge sets, but he does have some very cool custom legs. And the combining mechanic between the beasts and Toa looks like a blast to play with. The future of Bionicle looks brighter than it has since 2007.

And don't get me wrong, the summer wave wasn't bad outside Skull Scorpio, I think Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder and Skull Basher are awesome sets. It's just they were rather uninspired outside of Skull Basher.

I only started collecting LEGO again in 2015 though. :p

Limiting to just 2015, I'd probably go with either the Ferrari or the Bionicle 2015 winter wave as a whole. The Ferrari is gorgeous and a lot of fun to put together (the way the front hood is done is genius) and I've already sung the praises of the Bionicle reboot. I also think Treasure Island (the small pirate set with the skull island and the crocodile) is a fantastic playset and easily the best in the pirate line. You get two pirates, a soldier, a parrot, a crocodile, a boat, a cannon, a cool-looking island with a neat action feature, and a treasure chest, all for just 20 bucks. If you're going to get any set in the new Pirate line, get that one.

The treasure island is indeed the best Pirates set, but it fell right outside my list of honourable mentions for 2015. The soldiers fort is very comparable too. They're both cheap enough to get a good mix or new figures. Unfortunately the ship was pretty mediocre.

I realized that I never reviewed Ferris Wheel, so while I was taking pictures of another big build (coming soon!) I shot a few pics of this too. It's a great set but ultimately it doesn't really fit anywhere unless you have a Lord Business sized display, so it will be pushed off the main display when I run out of space for the modulars.

ferriswheel_01.jpg

Kipp

I'm not even done building the Temple of Airjitzu yet but I still cannot wait to get the Battle for Ninjago City in the mail and order the Morro Dragon/Wu's Dragon this weekend.
I'm mostly super excited for the two Dragon sets so that I can get those sweet ghost ninja minifigures. I've never wanted to buy a set as much for the minifigures as for the set itself, but these ones I am. Haha. Luckily the dragons themselves are both super cool too.

There are a bunch of sets marked down at Kmart this week. If you can manage to enroll in their convoluted rewards program you can get some even better deals too. I got the gorilla grodd set for $30.

Edit: Just finished bag 1 and I love this set. I forgot that it came with a Michael Bluth minifig. Tempted to grab another so I can swap the hair and have a George Michael too.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
There are a bunch of sets marked down at Kmart this week. If you can manage to enroll in their convoluted rewards program you can get some even better deals too. I got the gorilla grodd set for $30.

Came here to post that as well.

I got the Hulk Buster Smash set today for $22.79 - which is roughly 25% off.

ruxtpin

Banned
Thinking about picking it up, but it's definitely a set that screams for a redesign. At the very least the wings should fold down like they do in the trailers.

I'm not even done building the Temple of Airjitzu yet but I still cannot wait to get the Battle for Ninjago City in the mail and order the Morro Dragon/Wu's Dragon this weekend.
I'm mostly super excited for the two Dragon sets so that I can get those sweet ghost ninja minifigures. I've never wanted to buy a set as much for the minifigures as for the set itself, but these ones I am. Haha. Luckily the dragons themselves are both super cool too.
You are basking in the glory of the temple. That is the most important thing.

That is one of the few SW sets I have no interest in. I hope it looks better in the movie.

The ship begs to be modded. But I'm low on room so I've dropped a hint or two that the Tie and XWing are good Christmas presents.

Y'all are haters. Even if the wings are different than that tiny frame in the trailer, I still think it's an awesome display set.

Agreed about the Kylo Ren fig though, he kind of sucks.

Bigfoot

So I signed up for the VIP program since it looks like I will be buying lots of LEGO in the years coming up for my nephews now and my son once he gets old enough. Of course the odd set for myself too.

Anyways I see that a free Gingerbread house with $100 purchase and free wall calendar with $75 purchase is on soon. Question for those that take advantage of these deals a lot... do I need to spend $175 to get both or just $100? Also can you get the calendar online?

ghostmind

So I signed up for the VIP program since it looks like I will be buying lots of LEGO in the years coming up for my nephews now and my son once he gets old enough. Of course the odd set for myself too.

Anyways I see that a free Gingerbread house with $100 purchase and free wall calendar with $75 purchase is on soon. Question for those that take advantage of these deals a lot... do I need to spend $175 to get both or just $100? Also can you get the calendar online?

Calendar you can only get in-store.

LEGO used to let you stack promos, but some stores have gotten finicky about that. For this particular event though, the calendar and Gingerbread House should stack fine with a $100 purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom