• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
So I signed up for the VIP program since it looks like I will be buying lots of LEGO in the years coming up for my nephews now and my son once he gets old enough. Of course the odd set for myself too.

Anyways I see that a free Gingerbread house with $100 purchase and free wall calendar with $75 purchase is on soon. Question for those that take advantage of these deals a lot... do I need to spend $175 to get both or just $100? Also can you get the calendar online?

For multiple free promotions you only have to hit the higher price point to get both so in this case $100 will get you both. You want to read the fine print though because sometimes with the free monthly items you have to buy specific sets from a theme but thats not applicable this time so you can buy whatever, just a heads up. And no the wall calendar is available in store only because the coupons on it are good in store only.

If you hang around this thread, yes, yes you will be buying lots of Lego in the coming years.

Wow. I'd buy these.

By: Do-Hyun Kim

22430423484_aea0f3cff1_o.jpg
22634820538_2fd1523bb2_b.jpg
15559832014_1c401002d7_b.jpg
15134239471_038639be1c_b.jpg
15253336546_43e6372977_b.jpg

I've been using wheels as greebling and now have a bunch of tires that can't be used for their original purpose. Anyone have good ideas for alternate uses?

Opened up a stockpile of Harry potter lego from my childhood.
seeing all the crap that is lost from the half-completed sets is painful and will eventually lead to some idiotic bricklink binges.

wetwired

So I'm wondering what to do next for waller customs. I'm done with X-files now. I want to do more classic space variants which is easy enough. But I want to do something new. I was thinking perhaps a Vault Dweller, what do you guys think? you can be my market testing :p

neonglow

So I'm wondering what to do next for waller customs. I'm done with X-files now. I want to do more classic space variants which is easy enough. But I want to do something new. I was thinking perhaps a Vault Dweller, what do you guys think? you can be my market testing :p

Vault Dweller could be a nice minifigure to have. How about famous horror villains like Freddy Kruger or Jason?

Are you concerned about flying too close to the sun, IP wise? I got in on the X-Files ones and love them, but I'd be worried about getting shut down from future sales if there are any infringement claims. I don't know a thing about Australian IP law though...

More classic Space variants would be great, but cost is definitely a factor. Do you have a target in mind of where you'd like your per-fig cost to be? Right now your customs are around $25 per piece for me with shipping included. They're terrific, but definitely pricey.

Edit:
Musicians are a largely untapped fig market. If you're not worried about IP complaints I'm sure a lot of folks would go nuts for Daft Punk figs after the Ideas rejection. If you were to do a Bowie, MF Doom, Lou/Velvets, Miles, Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy, Palace Brother etc.) I'd buy them in a heartbeat. They're all fairly iconic, visually.

wetwired

Are you concerned about flying too close to the sun, IP wise? I got in on the X-Files ones and love them, but I'd be worried about getting shut down from future sales if there are any infringement claims. I don't know a thing about Australian IP law though...

More classic Space variants would be great, but cost is definitely a factor. Do you have a target in mind of where you'd like your per-fig cost to be? Right now your customs are around $25 per piece for me with shipping included. They're terrific, but definitely pricey.

The agents are about on par with the going rate for custom minfigs, I include free postage as well. The space guys should be cheaper than the agents though, I'm hoping for around $15-20 (including postage worldwide), there'll be no accessories and I already have the plates made for them so that will bring the cost down. Only time consuming part on my side is painting and colour matching the air tanks. I need to test out some sealant solutions to protect the paint which I have a few leads on (floor polish believe it or not!)

As for flying close to the sun you can legally make and sell things that look like other things but you can't use the names associated with them. Ie you'd have to call a "vault dweller" a "Bunker dweller" or something.

Though that doesn't stop other people! This one on ebay for example (which I bought one for myself) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LEGO-Cus...725977?hash=item1c5c7c2c59:g:fMEAAOSw0vBUcs7Z

ghostmind

Prison Island Starter set box is really deceptive, as most of the landmass is just art, with the actual LEGO elements being the short pier, and the little rock pile with the money in it.

Noticing that more often of late, with LEGO using box art to make a set look more complete.

Rootbeer

Banned
None of those Creator or City sets are grabbing me. The Duck/Dog is decent, but it'll be 20-30% off in no time like most creator stuff, so I can wait.

The longer I am into LEGO the more I see them re-using the same ideas over and over, just releasing slight variations on the same sets. Since they are targeting kids this is fine, because they are cycling new kids in and out of the target age brackets constantly, but as an AFOL it gets pretty boring :p

Thankfully we have the more high-concept themes to keep me interested.

I am excited about the new prison island set though (the large one, not pictured above.) I will be considering that one very much.

Prison Island Starter set box is really deceptive, as most of the landmass is just art, with the actual LEGO elements being the short pier, and the little rock pile with the money in it.

Noticing that more often of late, with LEGO using box art to make a set look more complete.

Has basically always happened. Even happens with Duplo.

New City and Creator sets seems so-so. I do like the boat that turns into really other things (plane and submarine) in the Creator line, quite inventive.

Bigfoot

None of those Creator or City sets are grabbing me. The Duck/Dog is decent, but it'll be 20-30% off in no time like most creator stuff, so I can wait.
I like some of the Creator sets but I'm "new" to Lego again. The idea of having 3 different builds with the same pieces is appealing. But yeah, other than the dog, the rest of the sets blend in with what is currently on the shelf.

The thing is there is only so much you can do without minifigures and overlapping with other themes or needing licensing. Creator is pretty much limited to vehicles, animals, and buildings.

The longer I am into LEGO the more I see them re-using the same ideas over and over, just releasing slight variations on the same sets. Since they are targeting kids this is fine, because they are cycling new kids in and out of the target age brackets constantly, but as an AFOL it gets pretty boring :p

Thankfully we have the more high-concept themes to keep me interested.

I am excited about the new prison island set though (the large one, not pictured above.) I will be considering that one very much.

Yet there is no shortage of LEGO sets to buy for an AFOL! I am constantly shuffling my list of sets I want to get as newer sets come out and I haven't gotten all the existing sets I want yet.

I hear ya. This is why I have little interest in the City theme. Can't blame LEGO for good business practice as there are new kids every year that are getting into LEGO and all the City stuff is new to them.

I hear Europe is huge on City theme. At least while they are recycling City stuff, they do make many different variations and subthemes to keep it a bit fresh.

Some of those Creator cars actually look kinda sleek... I dig the Rally car and that one City chase cop car hmm...

Still waiting for a reveal of that new Creator Lighthouse Island set but that's probably a ways off...

Ponn

Banned
I need Duck Hunt dog set. I love those Lego animal sets. I wish they would do another brick built sea creature set one.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. Almost finished building the main tower in the Temple of Airjitzu set. Absolutely incredible. What a brilliant build.

Would you (or anyone really) mind posting the image of that again? I didn't really take a good look at it before since I don't usually have much interest in City sets.

* Checks date *
Not April 1st.
* Scratches head *

How are they gonna break it up? Top 16 teams? Is there some generic uniforms (i.e. all-stars)? I don't follow SOCCER. ;)

For the European Cup (summer 2016) there will be 24 teams joining. Will probably be a Europe only thing.

No generic uniforms by the way, every country has their own jersey (usually based on the flag).

For the European Cup (summer 2016) there will be 24 teams joining. Will probably be a Europe only thing.

No generic uniforms by the way, every country has their own jersey (usually based on the flag).

Thanks.
24 seems reasonable to make special 48 or 72 pack cases.
I hope they come with soccer balls. I wouldn't mind a flood of them being cheap on bricklink. I'd like to do a GBC someday.

You can get LEGO Dimensions Starter Packs for $55 at Target in-store by stacking a 35% off Cartwheel coupon and a 10% off Toys To Life coupon. This beats all the Black Friday prices for the game.

http://www.neoape.com/45-off-lego-dimensions-starter-packs-for-55/

WELP. I cannot imagine it getting any lower than that for quite some time. Even the original Disney Infinity which is 2+ years old still hovers around the $30-40 range, but this is Lego we're talking about here. (just checked and Target is still selling the Wii version of DI for full price!? What the what you can get 3.0 for half of that and it JUST came out!) Gonna go pick it up after work tonight.

neonglow

WELP. I cannot imagine it getting any lower than that for quite some time. Even the original Disney Infinity which is 2+ years old still hovers around the $30-40 range, but this is Lego we're talking about here. (just checked and Target is still selling the Wii version of DI for full price!? What the what you can get 3.0 for half of that and it JUST came out!) Gonna go pick it up after work tonight.

If you want DI 3.0, there's also a Cartwheel coupon for 45% off. If you stack it with the 10% off Toys To Life coupon, it comes out to about $29.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom