• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I love building non-expert sets so much. Building two modulars in a row is the main thing that caused me to not buy or build any Lego for half a year. I just don't find the tedious builds fun at all. But building all these Ninjago sets (and any non-expert sets, really) has been such a blast. And they still look fantastic.

Edit: Kinda random, but it looks like there are a few Darth Vader constraction sets on Amazon Warehouse for $25 if anyone's interested. I'm a tiny bit tempted. Haha

TheFuzz

I love building non-expert sets so much. Building two modulars in a row is the main thing that caused me to not buy or build any Lego for half a year. I just don't find the tedious builds fun at all. But building all these Ninjago sets (and any non-expert sets, really) has been such a blast. And they still look fantastic.

Edit: Kinda random, but it looks like there are a few Darth Vader constraction sets on Amazon Warehouse for $25 if anyone's interested. I'm a tiny bit tempted. Haha

I'm the opposite. I enjoy the expert builds more. I like the longetivity of the build. Because I do MOCs, the expert sets tend to cram in a lot of interesting techniques that I can use again. Wife and I are working on Santas Workshop now and it's incredibly fun. Parisian Restaurant is my favorite set because of how many interesting techniques are crammed into it.

Kipp

Uh oh.
So Spaceship X3 just went back in stock on TRU's website for $55...
What do I do.

I don't have room for this. And I've already spent like $400 this week on Lego. Ah geez...

I'm the opposite. I enjoy the expert builds more. I like the longetivity of the build. Because I do MOCs, the expert sets tend to cram in a lot of interesting techniques that I can use again. Wife and I are working on Santas Workshop now and it's incredibly fun. Parisian Restaurant is my favorite set because of how many interesting techniques are crammed into it.

The interesting techniques are certainly a highlight for me. What I really dislike though is the monotony (like the fact that the majority of the build is building the walls) and the precision (basically the frequent use of single stud pieces which need to be rotated just right to line up with the other pieces).

TheFuzz

Uh oh.
So Spaceship X3 just went back in stock on TRU's website for $55...
What do I do.

I don't have room for this. And I've already spent like $400 this week on Lego. Ah geez...

The interesting techniques are certainly a highlight for me. What I really dislike though is the monotony (like the fact that the majority of the build is building the walls) and the precision (basically the frequent use of single stud pieces which need to be rotated just right to line up with the other pieces).

Yeah, I can see that but the walls are broken up between the complex facades and interior builds (in the good ones, anyway). I advise you try the Detectives Office if you haven't. It changes gears constantly.

Benny's Spaceship is a pure nostalgia high, worth every penny. It's great parts pack too, IMO.

Kipp

Yeah, I can see that but the walls are broken up between the complex facades and interior builds (in the good ones, anyway). I advise you try the Detectives Office if you haven't. It changes gears constantly.

Benny's Spaceship is a pure nostalgia high, worth every penny. It's great parts pack too, IMO.

I've built Pet Shop, Detective's Office, and Parisian Restaurant. Trust me, I really wanted to enjoy the building process since I absolutely love how they look and love the idea of them. I've just found that my love for Lego resides in the easier builds.

Ponn

Banned
Yes, you should. :)

Yarrrr Matey!!

YxefBoR.jpg

Buy now, think or sell later.

There are certain sets that are nearly guaranteed to sell for their MSRP price or much higher even used. We hare helping you invest in something you can enjoy and possibly make money after such enjoyment.

Trust me, I know. I've made a boatload selling sealed sets I never opened after years of owning. But I don't ever buy Lego planning on selling it in the future, the market value generally just ends up exceeding what I value in keeping it.

As amazing as Sea Cow looks, though, I think I'll have to pass. GB HQ is right around the corner, and I'm gonna have a hard enough time justifying that one as it is.

JANG reviews 31044 Park Animals:

http://youtu.be/DH_AdasA7TE

I think I've found my first 2016 set to pick up.

Definitely a great set. I've really enjoyed the animal sets in the Creator theme the past year. That set was on my to get list first time I saw it.

Ugh, my OCD kicked in when he showed the owl. The eye printing is slightly different between the two eyes. The angles/rotations are a little different. Closeups in videos and photos exaggerate things like that. Probably barely noticeable with casual viewing in person.

willp2003

That dog set looks good. Picked up the Friends Dolphin cruiser yesterday for £30 as a present for my nieces yesterday, and also got the creator red creatures set for me as that was only £8.

Eh you're not alone in this. I enjoy modulars but man can the builds be a tad tedious at times and I often don't have the time to put them together, simpler builds are the way for me.

TheFuzz

Everyone seemed to like my other modulars, so I decided to post the beginnings of my next one. Nowhere near finished, but this will give an idea of what I'm going for....

It's a modular Gotham City MCU (Major Crimes Unit). Very much like a police station, but it will be quite different once finished. Obviously the lighting is awful.

o2PZm8C.jpg

Everyone seemed to like my other modulars, so I decided to post the beginnings of my next one. Nowhere near finished, but this will give an idea of what I'm going for....

It's a modular Gotham City MCU (Major Crimes Unit). Very much like a police station, but it will be quite different once finished. Obviously the lighting is awful.

o2PZm8C.jpg

Looks like a great start, can't wait to see it finished.

Ravek

Banned

o2PZm8C.jpg

I'm liking what I see. Looks like some shady events will occur here.

o2PZm8C.jpg
Looks awesome. I am a sucker for the offset SNOT tiles for the textured look you have on the end.

Toxi

Banned
Finally some clear Bonkle pics:

http://lavoixdekimu.tumblr.com/post/133803679955/les-images-de-la-première-vague-de-sets-bionicle

Lewa and Pohatu are the standouts so far for me. They all loolk great and it's nice to finally see the details of the technic builds now.
Gali has way too much silver. Disappointing since Gali has always been tied with Pohatu as my favorite Toa (Gali was the first Bionicle I ever got, and I got her before the line even came to the USA). She should have been mostly blue with orange and silver highlights, not mostly silver with orange and blue highlights.

Everyone else looks great. Love how Pohatu's weapon calls back to the rock in his original set.

I'm also very glad to see the creatures have gear mechanisms.

Ponn

Banned
Great moc thefuzz. Streets of Gotham looking awesome, just need some zeppelins flying above now.

Got my AWD Millennium Falcon today so my Star Wars ships collection is almost complete for what I wanted. Just Tie Fighter left and maybe Slave One. Also my Wall-E parts from Lego are already being prepped for shipment. It's showing up in my order status history for some reason. Looks like just 4 parts 2 of each. I believe these are the part numbers if anyone wants them. 4211695 and 4265484

Ponn

Banned
Love the architecture Skyline sets, they look great. Striving to figure out how that Bhurj Kalifa set is 300 pieces though.

Still cold on Nexo Knights. Probably end up getting that Infernox set and the Mech Knight sets for the unique parts and my love of mechs.

Koren

Why, on the New-York Skyline, the Empire State Building closer to the see and Liberty Island than the new World Trace Center?

It's a small issue, but it really bother me, somehow. Probably a way to organise them better given their respective heights, but... it feels strange to me.

I have to say, the 2016 star wars buildable figures are really disappointing. General Grievous and Darth Vader were fantastic, but there doesn't seem to be any standout sets here. Only one that looks decent to me is Plasma and Kylo Ren, I'll probably get one of those. All the rest just aren't translating very well to CCBS. I wish they did more titan sized sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom