• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

S4njb8U.jpg

409 pieces

0ioj0tF.jpg

4sPTW1Q.jpg

646 pieces

elwHAVT.jpg

Spoilered the second "Battle on Takodana" pic, just in case.

The ships so far are indeed kinda lacking that "iconic" look and i am not sure whether it's because the old movies were what MADE them iconic in the first place other whether the designs were inherently stronger hmmm

Also: Anyone here got any of the big Arctic sets? I am looking at getting Arctic Base Campe specifically, any impressions on that? Are they retired already? Lego store told me they were but it's only been what, a year?

ghostmind

The ships so far are indeed kinda lacking that "iconic" look and i am not sure whether it's because the old movies were what MADE them iconic in the first place other whether the designs were inherently stronger hmmm

Also: Anyone here got any of the big Arctic sets? I am looking at getting Arctic Base Campe specifically, any impressions on that? Are they retired already? Lego store told me they were but it's only been what, a year?

Year-and-a-half. They came out in the summer (gj LEGO) of 2014.

I love the arctic sets, but the theme does not fit in anywhere with my current sets. Well, other than the ship which is the same color scheme as my coast guard ship. Tough choice, but I decided early to pass on the theme.

Well...if I could get that boat cheap enough I might grab it anyway. I'm working on a display area for aquatic style sets.

I agree with you, while the prequel may have some terrible story (I am not a prequel hater as I like all things Star Wars) Episode 1-3 have a far better ship designs than the Force Awakens. The transport ship I bought last month look like a shrunken battleship and the First Order snowspeeder looks so un-inspiring.

Also finally picking up LEGO Dimensions, I like how the inside box is just regular LEGO set box. (and the outer box is needlessly huge for no reason just like LEGO box).

Koren

How difficult is it to get into Mindstorm?
Not.

As is not difficult at all. Granted, I'm a programmer at heart, but it's designed with teens in mind, and they've done a great job.

The programming system is visual, easy to understand and don't require any coding knowledge. I tested it on my mother, it works.

Or at least, it used to be like that, I'm not using Lego "language" anymore and my mindstorm boxes are quite old. But I can't imagine things getting worse, even if I know it evolved.

Some progress pics of the haunted fort MOC I've been working on as a home for CMF 14.

It's mostly made from 2 Helms Deeps, Vampyre Castle, Medieval Market, and Mines of Moria. I'll likely dig into Mystery Mansion and the Black Gate for the upper levels since I'm running out of 1x8 and up pieces for wall building.

(Ignore the spire in the background; that's directly from the Vampyre Castle that I'm still dismantling for parts.)

http://imgur.com/a/LZb3K/all

Some progress pics of the haunted fort MOC I've been working on as a home for CMF 14.

It's mostly made from 2 Helms Deeps, Vampyre Castle, Medieval Market, and Mines of Moria. I'll likely dig into Mystery Mansion and the Black Gate for the upper levels since I'm running out of 1x8 and up pieces for wall building.

I like the gargoyles. Mine are pulling similar duty on my haunted house. It was the reason I needed 2 at the bare minimum!

ruxtpin

Banned
I agree with you, while the prequel may have some terrible story (I am no prequel haters as I like all things Star Wars) Episode 1-3 have a far better ship designs than the Force Awakens. The transport ship I bought last month look like a shrunken battleship and the First Order snowspeeder looks so un-inspiring.

I think all the ships and designs will feel more iconic once I've seen the movie. Once there's context I'm sure the stuff will get imprinted and I'll associate it with the greater Star Wars universe.

Edit: The fine print does say Lego. Screw you Target.

Parrotbeak: That thing seems MASSIVE, i like it a lot! Definitely got that haunted house vibe going there as well... The entrance is my favorite part so far, great colors on the door! Also loving Gollum as he's peeking out there in one of the pics :p

I think all the ships and designs will feel more iconic once I've seen the movie. Once there's context I'm sure the stuff will get imprinted and I'll associate it with the greater Star Wars universe.

Edit: The fine print does say Lego. Screw you Target.

This is true. I thought most of the Lego Movie sets were kind of lame until I had the proper frame of reference. Many are top shelf now that I know the background and have seen them in action. It's the same for many of the sets based on unreleased films.

I'm not in love with that transporter but if I see it in person, it's possible it might change my mind. It does seem to have the classic feel to it though...the shape is odd but I've liked unconventional ship designs before liked the Twilight or that one Blacktron 1 ship that I can't remember.

(Ignore the spire in the background; that's directly from the Vampyre Castle that I'm still dismantling for parts.)

http://imgur.com/a/LZb3K/all

Ooooh. I like it. :) Very nice work.

Rootbeer

Banned
The Resistance Troop Transport looks worth the money. Four all-new minifigs and a new ship.

Takodana is the sort of set I wish I could skip, but my SW minifig completion urge is too high to pass on Maz or Kylo's helmetless face which is sure to be a unique print.. It makes a decent part pack though.

Takodana is the sort of set I wish I could skip, but my SW minifig completion urge is too high to pass on Maz or Kylo's helmetless face which is sure to be a unique print.. It makes a decent part pack though.

Don't forget two stormtroopers and a Finn, who has only been in the expensive Falcon set thus far. I agree, the building portion of the set kinda stinks, but the minifig selection is great. It's perfect for kids whose parents can't drop the cash on the Falcon, Kylo Command Shuttle, or First Order Transporter.

I finished the Sensei Wu Dragon too. It's pretty nice. There's some really involved design, but also some restrictions because of part choices. However, I love the parts list - there's all kinds of unusual parts like the tan Unikitty tails, all kinds of 2x2 round jumper plates, plenty of tiles. Also, roller handles and white minifig heads from the lanterns! The figures will be great to put up around GB HQ too.

Also, husky with crossbow.

Picked up a couple of random sets to get the Gingerbread House last night from my LEGO shop. Spiderman and Green Goblin Jr set, Darth Vader Constraction??? set and the Hulkbuster set. Antman set was currently not in stock. :(

I was super tempted to get the Air Ninjitsu set with the free Ronin Rex, but $240 was way out of my budget. I did see one awesome father picking up the deal.

One question for everyone with the Double Decker Couch set... My Emmet's hips are cracking and so are the two 2x1 white pieces that go under the door elements on his car. I've never had this happen with pieces before so I am wondering if anyone else is having this phenomenon.

ghostmind

Ah-I have been steering clear of any details so wasn't sure if the character's identity is supposed to be a secret. I thought he was in the trailer?

Well his back was (and his face was in a previous photo shoot). I'm probably being too-spoiler sensitive, since the image from this set is going out everywhere anyway.

Well his back was (and his face was in a previous photo shoot). I'm probably being too-spoiler sensitive, since the image from this set is going out everywhere anyway.

Ok, I got you. I actually assumed that the guy in the first trailer with the long hair was him and hadn't questioned that until you specified only Kylo's "back" was shown. Appreciate the hyper sensitivity. I'm sure I'm not alone among the readers that will be going as dark as possible until 12/17.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's amusing how on the Resistance Trooper minifigs when they have their visors on it tints the color of their faces to look like Classic yellow minifigs :p

Tomorrow is the last day for BOGO 50% Lego and other toys/games at Barnes and Noble. The BOGO doesn't work on Architecture, Minecraft, or newer sets like summer sets or UCS stuff that some stores got.

S4njb8U.jpg

409 pieces

Is that two standard troopers with a Kylo Ren minifig? I'm getting that set just for the minifigs.

I see the X-Wing set has a standard blaster while the battle pack has 3 stud shooters. Would it hurt to throw in 1-2 standard blasters instead of stud shooters in the battle pack?
I like the resistance troopers. They have a very generic look I think can be reused except for the "officer" one.

I'm not sure if I've linked to this before...

http://i.imgur.com/nxiG1cF.jpg

If you did, I missed it. I only saw a prelim where it wasn't clear which version of Hyperion they are using. I'm happy they went with the more classic red outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom