• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JANG reviews the Target minifigure cube: http://youtu.be/9cYPcrammZ0

Chances that that damn cube will EVER see the shores of Europe are slim to none correct? (short of paying outrageous prices for the item itself and for shipping of course)

Also: Does anyone know of a decent set that includes lots of blue pieces? (plates, tiles, slopes, whatever) I am starting work on an aquatic MOC and dread another large BrickLink order :(

Chances that that damn cube will EVER see the shores of Europe are slim to none correct? (short of paying outrageous prices for the item itself and for shipping of course)

Also: Does anyone know of a decent set that includes lots of blue pieces? (plates, tiles, slopes, whatever) I am starting work on an aquatic MOC and dread another large BrickLink order :(

The old Alien Conquest theme had a lot of blue. I still see it on shelves around here-if you can get the Earth Defense HQ at a discount you'd do well.

Yup, Grand Hotel works pretty well on a modular street. This is just a tiled sidewalk with the parts of the hotel slotted in. If you turn the elevator tower around on its plate, you get enough plates to fill out the floor across the entire baseplate too, but obviously not enough walls to enclose it.

lego_grandhotel_03.jpg

TheFuzz

Does anyone happen to have a duplicate Gingerbread house they'd want to trade to a fellow GAFer? I've got two holiday trains and wasn't able to place an order over the weekend and would like to do a swap if anyone is interested.

NEO0MJ

After some thinking I feel it might be better to not buy the Mindstorm now, as there's no discount on it and it might be replaced by next year if their past release schedules are anything to go by.

iosefe

Have any been spotted in the US yet? I'm in Florida and dying to find it

Soon

maybe it's this week. i can double check tonight and bring back and answer

also, yay florida. which LEGO store do you go to?

EDIT: Dec. 1st. For Lego stores of course. Maybe check TRU if you Really want beforehand

Soon

maybe it's this week. i can double check tonight and bring back and answer

also, yay florida. which LEGO store do you go to?

EDIT: Dec. 1st. For Lego stores of course. Maybe check TRU if you Really want beforehand

Closest Lego Store to me is in Orlando so I'm trying to snag somewhere else since I'm in the Tampa area. Only one toys r us near by and I called today and they haven't received it yet

I discovered a pretty decent LEGO podcast last night. I'm only a couple of episodes in but so far the hosts appear to be intelligent, well spoken adults. "All Sorted" is (imo) far better than some of the other ones I've heard over the years. Looks like they are 30ish episodes deep and releasing on a regular weekly schedule.

http://www.breakingdads.com/category/all-sorted/as-pod/

Quoting myself on this as I've gotten a little deeper into the episodes. Each episode focuses on a specific topic and they do quite a bit of research to make the 25-30 minute pieces filled with a lot of interesting trivia. (eg. episodes focus on Knockoffs, LEGO books, LEGO's relationship with girls etc.).

I just noticed they are doing video reviews as well but haven't watched any. If any of you listen to podcasts on a regular basis I'd strongly recommend checking this out.

Quoting myself on this as I've gotten a little deeper into the episodes. Each episode focuses on a specific topic and they do quite a bit of research to make the 25-30 minute pieces filled with a lot of interesting trivia. (eg. episodes focus on Knockoffs, LEGO books, LEGO's relationship with girls etc.).

I just noticed they are doing video reviews as well but haven't watched any. If any of you listen to podcasts on a regular basis I'd strongly recommend checking this out.

I've listened to them all. It's great background while building.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I am so gonna get the FO battle pack, I want a cheap way to get some First Order storm troopers, the more I see the more I think they are actually my favourite Trooper design.

ghostmind

I missed this before - thanks, I'll give them a shot!

Checked out the video reviews - they are shorter and a bit more light-hearted than JANG, but I'd put them above a lot of LEGO reviewers out there.

Hoping TRU puts out Doctor Who tomorrow, or at least gets it. I don't want to have to order another set online.

However, I am driving to a town with a LEGO store in two weeks, so hopefully they have some left then at the store, but I am afraid this one will disappear quickly.

And I still need to build my Morro Dragon that came in last week so I can finally make a top sets list for myself. This year is going to be very, very difficult to make a top 5 or even top 10. There were so many great sets.

EDIT: And what do you all think?
JUKyH9j.png

or

oTcCZfi.png

For holiday avatar?

Hoping TRU puts out Doctor Who tomorrow, or at least gets it. I don't want to have to order another set online.

However, I am driving to a town with a LEGO store in two weeks, so hopefully they have some left then at the store, but I am afraid this one will disappear quickly.

And I still need to build my Morro Dragon that came in last week so I can finally make a top sets list for myself. This year is going to be very, very difficult to make a top 5 or even top 10. There were so many great sets.

I'm more than 1/2 way through it. I'm so glad they went with brick built heads. I finished Sensei Wu's dragon and it is my favorite dragon so far. The brick built head gives it a lot of character. There is one thing I don't like about Wu's D. I'll try to take photos and show it later. Getting back to Morro Dragon, it's looking fantastic so far. I'm loving the last wave of Ninjago.

EDIT: Not the butt shot PhoncipleBone.

Now I want 2 Creator Blue Power Jets. That's still on my list of sets to get.

This is awesome on multiple levels. This Korean LEGO group always has impressive MOCs on a massive scale.

I really like the "swiss cheese" building. They did a fantastic job on the the video game builds. Bubble Bobble! Pacman! Galaga! I can picture that giant Enderman next to the Stay Puft Marshmallow.
I love how the Tetris pieces fit perfectly!

The modified Simpsons house doesn't really fit, but it's an interesting take on it. As always, if you buy multiples sets of the same building you can make it bigger. :)

EDIT: Looks like there's some non-LEGO components to hold up the flying/floating builds.

Fowler

I can't remember if it's that documentary or a making of southpark one where it shows him relaxing in his office making the death star

Pretty sure it's in the Making of South Park doc (Six Days to Air) where talks about building LEGO to relax. Thought it was an AT-AT, but I remember thinking his collection was awesome.

(As a side note, as someone who produces TV for a living, that documentary is AWESOME.)

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Is this the first time they have included an Imperial probe droid?

Hoth, Carbon Freezing, and Droid escape all look fantastic and they are on my list.

JcdBVYQ.jpg

iosefe

The blue jets really look like a Creator set I'd love..
The blue power jet it awesome. Very cool build and takes a good amount of time. At a leisurely pace it took me around 3 hours. It's pretty big when built, too.

Boat mode is also nice. Haven't tried the heli

Is this the first time they have included an Imperial probe droid?

Hoth, Carbon Freezing, and Droid escape all look fantastic and they are on my list.

JcdBVYQ.jpg

No, I have at least 2 different versions of the probe droid ... don't remember from which sets though...

http://brickset.com/minifigs/name-Imperial-Probe-Droid
http://brickset.com/sets/tag-Imperial-Probe-Droid

It's been awhile since I've seen Empire Strikes Back. Are there rebel Hoth outfits with that much white like in that set? Past LEGO sets had minifigs with much more tan and white outfits.

Ponn

Banned
Every single time a good deal pops up for Tower Bridge on AWD its in direct competition for something else I want. Now i'm trying to save my money so I can pick up Ghostbusters HQ on Jan. 1st or I can get Tower Bridge for $200. I think what keeps pushing me from pulling the trigger on Tower Bridge is it's size strangely enough. I don't really like the idea of getting a set for parts, especially now that i'm really limiting myself on what I get. I want to be able to display a set and with the Tower Bridge there is just no easy way to do that. Where as the Ghostbusters HQ will fit nicely into my Modular street shelf.

Also I will admit the unnumbered bags is intimidating to me.

Every single time a good deal pops up for Tower Bridge on AWD its in direct competition for something else I want. Now i'm trying to save my money so I can pick up Ghostbusters HQ on Jan. 1st or I can get Tower Bridge for $200. I think what keeps pushing me from pulling the trigger on Tower Bridge is it's size strangely enough. I don't really like the idea of getting a set for parts, especially now that i'm really limiting myself on what I get. I want to be able to display a set and with the Tower Bridge there is just no easy way to do that. Where as the Ghostbusters HQ will fit nicely into my Modular street shelf.

Minifig scale is important to me, so I can easily overlook Tower Bridge and the micro builds. It's certainly a great looking set though.

And unmarked bags?!? No thanks!

Minifig scale is important to me, so I can easily overlook Tower Bridge and the micro builds. It's certainly a great looking set though.

Thankfully most of the bags contain the same stuff. Most pieces in that set are bulk, so it is easy to group bags.

Ponn

Banned

Yea, the piece count and unmarked bags is killing me on the to buy or not to buy. There was a recent set, I think Pet Shop, I put together that only had like 3 sets of numbered bags but a shit load of bags per number and it was frustrating for me because my neck and head just cannot take that constant hunting and sorting of pieces anymore. I do though like the Architecture line of Lego kits so in that regards this is really enticing to me along with the upcoming Big Ben set.

Thankfully most of the bags contain the same stuff. Most pieces in that set are bulk, so it is easy to group bags.

Yea and i've heard about doing double duty on similar builds. I would definitely have to pre-sort my pieces before starting on this one. And luckily (or unluckily from a perspective) I just went over my bills and budget for the next two months and as long as I don't buy too much liquor for the holidays I could actually afford both of the sets but would have to hold off on the Detective's Office and Bank till Feb.

oneHeero

Not sure if it's been posted but looks like B&N is doing 25 or 30% off some Lego sets.

From slickdeals: LEGO 60052 City Trains Cargo Train for 139.97 FS @ B&N (Selective Lego set @ 30% off)

I tried it out and it worked, wondering if I should bite on this one.

Edit: oh yea just posted recently :p

Not sure if it's been posted but looks like B&N is doing 25 or 30% off some Lego sets.

From slickdeals: LEGO 60052 City Trains Cargo Train for 139.97 FS @ B&N (Selective Lego set @ 30% off)

I tried it out and it worked, wondering if I should bite on this one.

Edit: oh yea just posted recently :p
Oh, cargo train would be nice, but must have money for Doctor Who tonight.

oneHeero

Oh, cargo train would be nice, but must have money for Doctor Who tonight.

I just grabbed the Cargo Train. My son has been begging me for it whenever he sees it but I couldnt spend $200 on a whim. This price and xmas is a perfect time to get it from him. He's a big fan of trains and loves Lego

I just grabbed the Cargo Train. My son has been begging me for it whenever he sees it but I couldnt spend $200 on a whim. This price and xmas is a perfect time to get it from him. He's a big fan of trains and loves Lego
Everything is awesome. Would love to see how excited he is when he opens it. Pics would probably not do justice to his joy.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So tempted on the Cargo Train since I love trains, but I'm just not a fan of the current Lego trains... The builds are much too simple for my taste.

Plus I've definitely got no room at the moment for a train setup. If I did, then I'd probably go for it.

$30 is easy to reach unless there's a lots of empty shelves. I will try to see if I can get the last Jurassic World set I need or maybe just get MSRP stuff like Mixels and CMFs.
I went by to see if they had Doctor Who tonight, but they didn't. They had Park Animals, but I figured I would add that to a Doctor Who to get free shipping.

Found a whole bunch of the little "Bricktober" sets at my TRU, which I'd somehow never seen before. Picked them all up on a whim, but at $20 a pop, I just can't justify keeping them. Maybe one or two, but man, it made me realize I'd missed a full set like this (the mini modulars) and feel pretty bummed.

I like this kind of micro design. I hope they do more of it in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom