• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

I'm going to continue with my annual "Best Of" posts, but I would love to participate in a LEGO-GAF Awards thing.

Hopefully we could get most of the community to participate.

Zerojul

Is Ewok Village on sale too? If so, that is the set to get. Sure, it ain't retiring as quickly, but it is the supreme set.

Nope, no discount on this one.
My GF got me Ewok Village for my birthday a few months ago. She's got excellent taste when it comes to getting me Lego sets, Red Five for Cristmas and Ewok Village for my bday, great selection !
Anyway I still have to build Ewok Village, the only thing holding me off is the lack of space. I need any room available for our Winter Set display.

For an awards thing to work, someone needs to set up categories. I'd suggest making it:

Best minifig (CMF or poly)
Best <$19 set
Best $20-99 set
Best $100+ set

Then everyone can give their top five in each category, then we summarize the total votes in each category. I think it would get messy and a little unfair if we just had a "best overall" list because that would be packed with UCS and Creator Expert.

We also need to define which sets are eligible - 2014 sets released in late 2013 should be, but not the 2015 sets coming out now.

The video an extra pics have raised my opinion of it, still not blown away and have my gripes with it. Without actually owning it my ordering would be

Parisian Restaurant
Green Grocer
Fire Brigade
Town Hall
Detective Agency
Grand Emporium
Palace Cinema
Pet Shop
Cafe Corner
Market Street

I agree with your top two and bottom one choices, but Pet Shop and Café Corner so low? CC is a ridiculously pretty building and I'm still stunned by how tightly the corner wall is designed. Also, Town Hall belongs nowhere in the top half.

For an awards thing to work, someone needs to set up categories. I'd suggest making it:

Best <$19 set
Best $20-99 set
Best $100+ set

Then everyone can give their top five in each category, then we summarize the total votes in each category. I think it would get messy and a little unfair if we just had a "best overall" list because that would be packed with UCS and Creator Expert.

We also need to define which sets are eligible - 2014 sets released in late 2013 should be, but not the 2015 sets coming out now.

2014 sets released in late 2013 should be considered, because they were originally set for 2014 but slipped out early.

Tiers is a good idea too, and then I think a best overall category. The last few years there have been some sub $100 that easily cracked the top 5 for me personally. I will admit that price does play a factor into how I feel about a set. The really expensive stuff is obviously held to a higher standard because I paid more, while cheaper sets I am more forgiving of. At the same time, some ingeniously designed cheap sets just seem that much more special because they do so much with so little.

And with tiers, would we have top 5s for each, or just a best of when we put submissions in? If top 5s, that gets really hard because not everyone would have 5 sets or even 2 sets in each tier. That may be why just an overall best might be the fairest way to do it.

Maybe some dark horse categories, like biggest disappointment, or biggest surprise. Best mini fig is a required category though. I don't think anyone would contest that.

Okay, that is an interesting idea. But how to make a list of contenders? Does everyone just make top 5's or something, and then make a thread about what came out supreme? That seems to be the most just way and similar to MOC contest voting, but with many more variables. Each year I just post my personal top 5, and I know Ghostmind does as well. I don't think of myself as any kind of authority on the stuff, but I am very vocal about my love of certain sets. A few other random members have made lists as well, but I sadly cannot remember whom.

I think it would be a fun experiment though. It would give a great insight into what others hold in high regard, and give a clearer picture of where everyone's tastes lie.

Yeah a top 5 from everyone would work. The only other way would be for someone to create a voting form for each theme or category and have everyone vote 1,2,3 for their favourite sets for each theme.

Best <$19 set
Best $20-99 set
Best $100+ set

Yep, that's what I reckon the best thing to do would be. I'm not a fan of best overall either. Gotta give the small sets a chance and for people who aren't able to buy those big ones to have a say on what their favourites are.

Edit: Shit, sorry for double post.

Yeah, breaking it down like I did in the OP is a bit fairer. I still think there should be best overall though. A great set is a great set, no matter what the price. That is just my opinion though, and if we do a vote then the categories should be the will of the users here.

If everyone votes for 5 sets in each category, you could just collect the total number of votes from any category to select an overall winner.

neonglow

I was waiting until Black Friday to pickup Santa's Workshop for the 2nd holiday set so this double point VIP event is even better. Is anyone else going to the in store VIP event in the morning?

I also managed to pick up a couple Dareth polybags at Toys R Us today. I didn't realize it came with 2 minifigures until I had it in my hand. If anyone needs help getting one, let me know.

Zerojul

Yeah, breaking it down like I did in the OP is a bit fairer. I still think there should be best overall though. A great set is a great set, no matter what the price. That is just my opinion though, and if we do a vote then the categories should be the will of the users here.
Agreed on the best overall category, I think we'd definitley need one. The more expensive sets, while often more impressive, are not necessarily one's favorite. My favorite set of the year is $49.99 ;-)

mojiimbo

Hmm, looks like the Star Wars and City advent calendars have been sold out on the US website for a few days. I did see some at TRU when I went to look for Rocket, though...

So, the special promotion at S@H is:

Winter Skating scene if you buy for €60+
Additional 5% off if you buy for €120+

Nothing about extra VIP points. No reduced prices. Meh.

Good thing I spent my money on Palace Cinema instead.

Oh yeah, still have a best overall as well as the categories. Totally agree.

I would love to see some LegoGAF Awards! My birthday is next week, and I'm trying to figure out how to spend my incoming birthday cash. To see what LegoGAF thinks are the best of the bunch (yes, I've read the OP already - multiple times!) would really help me decide.

Spaceship is definitely on my shortlist. I'm not sure if I want to get into Modulars or not, as that seems like a really expensive avenue to start going down. However, Town Hall is sold out online but my local store has it, and maybe Pet Shop is a good idea if it's going OOP soon...

...or I could just buy 3-6 smaller sets, as some of the Lego Movie, Ultra Agents, and Star Wars stuff looks a lot of fun.

I am paralysed by indecision. I probably need to build my old sets first, and see what I feel like after that.

Ponn

Banned
Oh lame no US discounts. What are the chances Arkham being a discounted item for Brick Friday now that we saw it discounted in EU?

Building old sets only leads to buying of more old sets. Not like that is a bad thing mind you!
Yeah, after pulling out my old Space sets from 20+ years ago, I'm definitely thinking of picking up some more old ones to flesh out the collection.

I haven't even built the existing old ones yet though (still sorting), so I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself.

ruxtpin

Banned
My VIP-day haul -

Benny's Spaceship (damaged box @ 20% off) - Already have one, but I liked the price and I like the pieces.
Winter Village Carnival - Still got another year for the Santa Shop.
The Lego Movie set w/ the Firetruck Robot (damaged box, but it's for my nephew)
Research Institute - Local store got a handful in, so I snagged one.
Large PAB Cup

Then the freebies: Thanksgiving turkey, 2nd Christmas set, the VIP ornament thing, and the calendar.

Ryuuroden

man wtf, so back to the story of my package thefts by someone, probably the postal worker.

I went to the post office today to file a report in person this time about the fifth stolen package in 3 months. Anyways I meet the guy in charge, give him the info, he goes in back to talk to my postman. Few minutes later he comes back with the missing package. I ask him how the hell something gets marked as delivered on the tracking website with a time and everything but still is at the post office. He tells me the guy must of accidentally scanned it. But, wtf, that makes no sense whatsoever, they scan that shit when they are at the location delivering the goddamn item. So basically hes telling me the guy scanned it and then put it back in his bag instead of dropping it off at the door? because that's certainly the only conclusion I can come to! Postalworker stealing my mail confirmed and post office covering it up confirmed, at least imo. I am going to buy a real looking fake camera and put it up pointing at the mailbox with a big fucking sign saying postal theft is a federal offence below it. Gonna see if that stops this shit.

Mik3F

Well I buckled and ordered the Tumbler with the 5% discount and the free Winter Set

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can build it next week

Rootbeer

Banned
OH! I did not notice winter set 2 was out early... I thought it was NEXT WEEKEND????

I tried adding stuff to my cart and the winter set #2 shows up, however...

the 2015 calendar does not show up :(

is this an error? it should be available starting nov 1st right

Zerojul

OH! I did not notice winter set 2 was out early... I thought it was NEXT WEEKEND????

I tried adding stuff to my cart and the winter set #2 shows up, however...

the 2015 calendar does not show up :(

is this an error? it should be available starting nov 1st right

In Europe at least, you need to go to a physical store to get a little card that you need to return to the store in January to get the actial calendar. It's not available on the S@H (so I'll have to go to the other side of Paris to get one which is a bore, but I digress).
Pretty complicated system if you ask me.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the calendar info guys...

Well no way I'm going today due to the rain :(

Maybe I'll go next weekend o_O but ugh that's going to be hell.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So what's the big deal with pet shop? I have like $30 in rewards sitting around right now.. could possibly be in for another $120 today (ugh) if it's really that good and going away soon.

My haul today was:

Santa's Workshop (for myself, now :p)
Movie Ice Cream Machine
Riddler Chase
Juniors Turtle Cave

Last three are gifts. and of course the second holiday set.

Ponn

Banned
Ok I have my final game plan. Sea Cow is ordered! 500 VIP points. If Arkham goes on sale for brickfriday I will use my VIP points and get a good deal on it. If not I have some other sets I have been holding off on I will use my points towards.

Birthday haul:

Arkham Asylum and 2nd holiday set from S@H, Hobbit Barrel Escape and another Mikey polybag plus samus, mario, and link amiibos from TRU, and finally a Trevi Fountain from B&N.

My wife got me the architecture book and Trevi Fountain is my 1st architecture set.

Pretty nice day.

Ryuuroden

Birthday haul:

Arkham Asylum and 2nd holiday set from S@H, Hobbit Barrel Escape and another Mikey polybag plus samus, mario, and link amiibos from TRU, and finally a Trevi Fountain from B&N.

My wife got me the architecture book and Trevi Fountain is my 1st architecture set.

Pretty nice day.

ugh, those amiibos are hidious tho. lol at the QC of those. You have seen the Samus with 2 cannon arms right?

Reports from those that attended the VIP store events are that the Detective's Office windows are actually printed.

Wait. What? They had the Detective's Office this morning!? I was there and no one told me that!

ugh, those amiibos are hidious tho. lol at the QC of those. You have seen the Samus with 2 cannon arms right?

Depends on the Amiibo. Some of them are glorious. Only a few truly look bad...

Dual Arm Cannon Samus is awesome.

ghostmind

Wait. What? They had the Detective's Office this morning!? I was there and no one told me that!

Depends on the Amiibo. Some of them are glorious. Only a few truly look bad...

Dual Arm Cannon Samus is awesome.

It was for the invite-only event that happened this morning, before the stores opened.

nny

I got Santa's Workshop to close up all the Winter sets.

Lovely setup, I'm building all the winter sets with my GF at the moment and trying to figure out where to display everything. Grouping them by "theme" is a nice idea.
I especially like your "Winter Fair" setting a lot. ( I also like your Revoltech Layton, your V.C. artbook and your Pearl Jam book, but that's irrelevant ;-) )

Thanks! It's getting to the point where having everything out at the same time takes a lot of space and looks too busy, so I may need to decide on which to display...trouble is I love them all. )

Yay same
good
tastes buddies, you and I ;D

It was on display, not for sale.

First, how was the event? Any good deals?

Second, the Detective's Office and Slave I were supposed to be on display for the event, but apparently not all stores got them in, which sucks especially for an exclusive event like this.

Ah. Whew. My store didn't have it out then.

It was nice. Double VIP Points and an early release for the second Christmas set were pretty much the only deals they had. I was gonna pick up the Pet Shop but they sold the last few they had when I was there a few weeks back so I settled for the Theater.

They gave away VIP goodie bags with a LEGO 2015 calendar, a mini-Christmas Train ornament, the Thanksgiving Turkey $10 set, and LEGO themed wrapping paper that was pretty nice. I'll have to take a picture of the mini-Train later. It's pretty cute. I also got a lanyard with my name on it.

I would love to see some LegoGAF Awards! My birthday is next week, and I'm trying to figure out how to spend my incoming birthday cash. To see what LegoGAF thinks are the best of the bunch (yes, I've read the OP already - multiple times!) would really help me decide.

Spaceship is definitely on my shortlist. I'm not sure if I want to get into Modulars or not, as that seems like a really expensive avenue to start going down. However, Town Hall is sold out online but my local store has it, and maybe Pet Shop is a good idea if it's going OOP soon...

...or I could just buy 3-6 smaller sets, as some of the Lego Movie, Ultra Agents, and Star Wars stuff looks a lot of fun.

I am paralysed by indecision. I probably need to build my old sets first, and see what I feel like after that.

Spaceship is indeed awesome, and relatively affordable. I would generally advise against buying a bunch of smaller sets, since you get a lot less bang for your buck. Small sets just clutter the display, IMO.

If you buy a modular, remember that it will cost you about $2000-3000 depending on when and how you decide to eventually get the rest of the collection. One building is fine, until you realize how much better it looks with two others flanking it. Then those two look a little cold out there to the side. Et cetera until you run out of money or space... or money to make more space.

neonglow

I attended the VIP thing at the store this morning and here's what they gave away for free:

LEGO Seasonal Turkey, ornament train, lanyard and wrapping paper.

I also got the calendar and 2nd holiday set after I bought $99 worth of stuff.

From reddit. Damn Slave 1 looks massive.

jKxVQWK.jpg

Ryuuroden

Spaceship is indeed awesome, and relatively affordable. I would generally advise against buying a bunch of smaller sets, since you get a lot less bang for your buck. Small sets just clutter the display, IMO.

If you buy a modular, remember that it will cost you about $2000-3000 depending on when and how you decide to eventually get the rest of the collection. One building is fine, until you realize how much better it looks with two others flanking it. Then those two look a little cold out there to the side. Et cetera until you run out of money or space... or money to make more space.

Yeah, I tend to only go larger sets but I loved the movie so hard I already decided to get every single set for the theme, It will be pretty much the first theme I have literally decided to get everything from. (This is if I don't count the winter village theme since its a seasonal thing plus lot less sets in it over a much longer period of time) I only plan on displaying a few of the movie sets, the rest are build and take apart and use for parts. Not really paying attention to bang for the buck which is something I usually do focus on.

Yeah, I tend to only go larger sets but I loved the movie so hard I already decided to get every single set for the theme, It will be pretty much the first theme I have literally decided to get everything from. (This is if I don't count the winter village theme since its a seasonal thing plus lot less sets in it over a much longer period of time) I only plan on displaying a few of the movie sets, the rest are build and take apart and use for parts. Not really paying attention to bang for the buck which is something I usually do focus on.

The thing with modulars is that you can make a city out of them and then place whatever you want in there. The neat thing about Lego is that EVERYTHING is consistent. Since Lonely Mountain won't be a permanent display, I already have Smaug perched on top of Grand Emporium. Also, they're quite literally canon for the movie since plenty of the buildings showed up in their original or recoloured forms.

And then if you start going completionist with the movie including sets that aren't actually sold... have fun recreating the city or Cloud Cuckoo Land :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom