• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainaurdur

Bit of both maybe. DO has at least the same sized base plate as the other modulars. I think Slave 1 is just that big.

Glancing up on my shelf right now I have Pet Shop with the UCS B-Wing just to the left of it, and the height of each seem very similar to that picture. So I agree, I think it's a bit of both.

I must have miss that Gran Emporium went OOP. Finally got Rocket polybag at local TRU. They have a bunch oil into the gravity chute display. The store was really crowded as they also have Lego contest going. All the Advent calendar set are gone I was going to pick up one as gift. I ended up with Barrel Escape Hobbit set that are on clearance I figure the set is OOP so night as well grab one.

For an awards thing to work, someone needs to set up categories. I'd suggest making it:

Best minifig (CMF or poly)
Best <$19 set
Best $20-99 set
Best $100+ set

Then everyone can give their top five in each category, then we summarize the total votes in each category. I think it would get messy and a little unfair if we just had a "best overall" list because that would be packed with UCS and Creator Expert.

We also need to define which sets are eligible - 2014 sets released in late 2013 should be, but not the 2015 sets coming out now.

I agree with your top two and bottom one choices, but Pet Shop and Café Corner so low? CC is a ridiculously pretty building and I'm still stunned by how tightly the corner wall is designed. Also, Town Hall belongs nowhere in the top half.

Shouln't the best minifig category have a male and female category? ;)

man wtf, so back to the story of my package thefts by someone, probably the postal worker.

I went to the post office today to file a report in person this time about the fifth stolen package in 3 months. Anyways I meet the guy in charge, give him the info, he goes in back to talk to my postman. Few minutes later he comes back with the missing package. I ask him how the hell something gets marked as delivered on the tracking website with a time and everything but still is at the post office. He tells me the guy must of accidentally scanned it. But, wtf, that makes no sense whatsoever, they scan that shit when they are at the location delivering the goddamn item. So basically hes telling me the guy scanned it and then put it back in his bag instead of dropping it off at the door? because that's certainly the only conclusion I can come to! Postalworker stealing my mail confirmed and post office covering it up confirmed, at least imo. I am going to buy a real looking fake camera and put it up pointing at the mailbox with a big fucking sign saying postal theft is a federal offence below it. Gonna see if that stops this shit.

That sounds highly suspect. That sucks!

Reports from those that attended the VIP store events are that the Detective's Office windows are actually printed.

Oh man, I went this morning and didn't see those. Granted I wasn't checking out the displays closely.

Zerojul

Guys Slave I is a beautiful gigantic beast, and I'm already out of space
and I'm getting it anyway
!
I shiver at the thought of the size of a potential (probable ? future ?) UCS helicarrier. SSD-class length maybe ? Probably not, but a man can dream :)

Ainaurdur

Just pulled the trigger twice.

One order with the AT-AT for my nephew, as a combined gift for his birthday (which is mid-Dec) and Christmas.

Second order has Friends Sunshine Ranch for my niece. Then Witch King Battle and a few Mixels for me to just hit the $99 mark.

So with two incoming Winter Skating Scenes... not sure what I will do with them yet. Heh.

Ponn

Banned
Guys Slave I is a beautiful gigantic beast, and I'm already out of space
and I'm getting it anyway
!
I shiver at the thought of the size of a potential (probable ? future ?) UCS helicarrier. SSD-class length maybe ? Probably not, but a man can dream :)

If you are going to dream then go ahead and dream about one that you can set the Lego Quinjet on. The first 10,000 piece Lego set.

Just pulled the trigger twice.

One order with the AT-AT for my nephew, as a combined gift for his birthday (which is mid-Dec) and Christmas.

Second order has Friends Sunshine Ranch for my niece. Then Witch King Battle and a few Mixels for me to just hit the $99 mark.

So with two incoming Winter Skating Scenes... not sure what I will do with them yet. Heh.
You in the US? Wanna trade one of those ice skating scenes for the elf promo set or Snowman polybag?

I think my last major Lego purchase for 2014 will be Smaug. I realized I want all the new dwarf torsos as well.

Might grab the set with thorium n his crown too.

Any good deals with a set with Bard in it? I want some of the new orcs as well too.

Ainaurdur

I think my last major Lego purchase for 2014 will be Smaug. I realized I want all the new dwarf torsos as well.

Might grab the set with thorium n his crown too.

Any good deals with a set with Bard in it? I want some of the new orcs as well too.

The set with the crowned Thorin also has TBotFA Bard with blue coat.

If you wanted Bard in his brown coat like he wore in DoS, Attack on Lake-town is a decent price per brick and also come with 2 of the mull-hawk orcs!
Haven't really seen any discounts on them yet, though.

Edit: Oh, no! Have I put this off for far too long?! R2-D2 is out of stock with no expected date. Hope It returns, it should, right?

The set with the crowned Thorin also has TBotFA Bard with blue coat.

If you wanted Bard in his brown coat like he wore in DoS, Attack on Lake-town is a decent price per brick and also come with 2 of the mull-hawk orcs!
Haven't really seen any discounts on them yet, though.

Edit: Oh, no! Have I put this off for far too long?! R2-D2 is out of stock with no expected date. Hope It returns, it should, right?

Thx yeah... I'll see about it as my budget recoups in a few days.

Trevi Fountain built. Now I have the architecture bug....wallet is hiding in the corner.

If anyone has a extra Robie House they'd part with, send me a PM.

Rw5nwzU.jpg

Spaceship is indeed awesome, and relatively affordable. I would generally advise against buying a bunch of smaller sets, since you get a lot less bang for your buck. Small sets just clutter the display, IMO.

If you buy a modular, remember that it will cost you about $2000-3000 depending on when and how you decide to eventually get the rest of the collection. One building is fine, until you realize how much better it looks with two others flanking it. Then those two look a little cold out there to the side. Et cetera until you run out of money or space... or money to make more space.
Yeah, I tend to only go larger sets but I loved the movie so hard I already decided to get every single set for the theme, It will be pretty much the first theme I have literally decided to get everything from. (This is if I don't count the winter village theme since its a seasonal thing plus lot less sets in it over a much longer period of time) I only plan on displaying a few of the movie sets, the rest are build and take apart and use for parts. Not really paying attention to bang for the buck which is something I usually do focus on.

Thanks for the advice and general insight, guys. That was pretty much my concern about Modulars - that they're already quite pricey, and buying one would mean I would eventually want to get them all!

In my situation, displaying my sets is not really an issue, as it's not going to happen. I have NO space to put any on display, and I have two small kids who would promptly tear apart anything they could get their hands on. Anything I build is going to be torn down again pretty quickly. So I'm looking for recommendations based upon the following criteria:

1. Fun builds are my top priority. Nothing is going to remain on display for long, so it just needs to be fun to build with some interesting techniques. I'm all about the building process, not necessarily the end result.
  2. I'm primarily interested in vehicles, rather than buildings or scenes. For this reason, I've actually been thinking about a Technics set, but I'm not sure if that'll be very helpful considering my next point.
  3. I would really like to get into MOCing. I'd like any sets I buy to have 'versatile' pieces so I can start experimenting with my own creations. As I said, I am primarily interested in vehicles (and especially space-related themes), but I'd be OK with spending money on a good building set that had great pieces for MOCing vehicles or a space station.
So yeah, Modulars may not be my thing right now, but I'm not sure what to get (besides Benny's Spaceship).

I'd love some ideas, as you guys seem to know your stuff and have tried a wide variety of sets.

Trevi Fountain built. Now I have the architecture bug....wallet is hiding in the corner.

I spy some K'Nex minifigures. I have a bunch of them too. Someday LEGO will get the Super Mario licence. Until then, the crappy K'Nex minifigs will have to do.

Thanks for the advice and general insight, guys. That was pretty much my concern about Modulars - that they're already quite pricey, and buying one would mean I would eventually want to get them all!

In my situation, displaying my sets is not really an issue, as it's not going to happen. I have NO space to put any on display, and I have two small kids who would promptly tear apart anything they could get their hands on. Anything I build is going to be torn down again pretty quickly. So I'm looking for recommendations based upon the following criteria:

1. Fun builds are my top priority. Nothing is going to remain on display for long, so it just needs to be fun to build with some interesting techniques. I'm all about the building process, not necessarily the end result.
  2. I'm primarily interested in vehicles, rather than buildings or scenes. For this reason, I've actually been thinking about a Technics set, but I'm not sure if that'll be very helpful considering my next point.
  3. I would really like to get into MOCing. I'd like any sets I buy to have 'versatile' pieces so I can start experimenting with my own creations. As I said, I am primarily interested in vehicles (and especially space-related themes), but I'd be OK with spending money on a good building set that had great pieces for MOCing vehicles or a space station.
So yeah, Modulars may not be my thing right now, but I'm not sure what to get (besides Benny's Spaceship).

I'd love some ideas, as you guys seem to know your stuff and have tried a wide variety of sets.

Modulars fit two of those criteria. Very interesting build techniques, lots of useful pieces for MOCing just about anything, and relatively cheap for the number of pieces.

Having said that, look into the Creator stuff. Those usually have a great variety of pieces for making just about anything, and are some of the cheapest sets in the price per brick ratio.

And if you stumble upon any Galaxy Squad that is on sale still, BUY IT! Best series since I returned from the dark ages in 2012. Awesome techniques throughout, and gives you lots of great piece and ideas for vehicle MOCs.

Ghostmind will pimp Galaxy Squad hard as well, and I am sure a few other wonderful LEGO GAF members will too.

Also, look into Sopwith Camel while it is discounted in some places. A big, glorious aircraft that has tons of great pieces in it, and some really neat technique.

For vehicles, the one that I cannot recommend enough is Quinjet. It is damn near impossible to find now, but if you do, BUY IT! This year, SPACESHIP! and Milano give it a run for its money. Quinjet still holds a special place in my heart because I had extremely low expectations for it. It was merely a parts and figure pack, but then the build was so damn fun and I just wanted to swoosh it around. I went into SPACESHIP! and Milano with high expectations, and they met them. But they didn't have the element of surprise like Quinjet did. Even if SPACESHIP! is probably the best set of those three in the end.

5TxDQFS.png

My theme of the year for 2013.

r15ipJu.jpg

Okay, so here is a tough one for you. Galaxy Squad vs Monster Fighter. Which theme is better overall?

For me, it is Galaxy Squad. While I think Monster Fighter has the insanely awesome Haunted House and Vampyre Castle in its favor and HH is my favorite set of the last two years now, I think Galaxy Squad was a better overall theme. If we combined them all into one large group, the best sets overall are MF. But GS spread the love around better, and for cheaper too. But, MF had a better selection of minifigs.

Urgh. I am having a conflict with myself just writing that all. My gut still goes with GS as the better theme of the two, even if Haunted House is the set that reigns supreme among the two themes.

Ainaurdur

I like most of Galaxy Squad. Top choices for me being Bug Obliterator, Vermin Vaporizer and CLS-89 Eradicator Mech. Not sure how much longer these will be around.

If you like Guardians of the Galaxy, the Milano might interest you, too.

ghostmind

Okay, so here is a tough one for you. Galaxy Squad vs Monster Fighter. Which theme is better overall?

For me, it is Galaxy Squad. While I think Monster Fighter has the insanely awesome Haunted House and Vampyre Castle in its favor and HH is my favorite set of the last two years now, I think Galaxy Squad was a better overall theme. If we combined them all into one large group, the best sets overall are MF. But GS spread the love around better, and for cheaper too. But, MF had a better selection of minifigs.

Urgh. I am having a conflict with myself just writing that all. My gut still goes with GS as the better theme of the two, even if Haunted House is the set that reigns supreme among the two themes.

BXZuXW8.jpg

Monster Fighters - no hesitation.

As much as I love Galaxy Squad, the Monster Fighters theme is so very unique in the history of LEGO. It`s basically steampunk meets Universal monsters, and that combo cannot be beat for me.

I like most of Galaxy Squad. Top choices for me being Bug Obliterator, Vermin Vaporizer and CLS-89 Eradicator Mech. Not sure how much longer these will be around.

If you like Guardians of the Galaxy, the Milano might interest you, too.

You, sir, have excellent taste.

Having said that, you left off Hive Crawler. But my love for that is well known among LEGO GAF.

BXZuXW8.jpg

Monster Fighters - no hesitation.

Interesting, and I am a bit surprised.

I think the builds in Galaxy Squad are better, but the mini figs and character of Monster Fighters are very tough to top.

No matter what, builders win when they get those themes.

So, if you could pick one theme of the two you would want more of, which would it be? I would go Monster Fighters. It could easily be turned into a seasonal series. One set each Halloween season. With Galaxy Squad I would be happier if it just blended into a new Classic Space themed series.

ghostmind

I desperately want a return of Monster Fighters, but if Scooby Doo can at least scratch that itch, then I am a happy sith lord.

What I want next from space is either a new series that is based on pure science and exploration (much as the original Classic Space sets were), or a new take on the alien invasion idea that Alien Conquest tried.

Rw5nwzU.jpg

You are a two hour drive from Lasting Toys, the Mecca of old LEGO set locations. Give them a call and see if they Robie House, then go and bask in their glory.

Seriously. They have like six versions of the Sears Tower; chances are good they have Robie.

vlnLVep.jpg

You furry little bastard!

I had my reindeer and turkey in front of the TV. I was upstairs in the spare bedroom on the computer and heard some skittering around downstairs, and then some crying from the cat. I go down and see the above.

Where is the rest of the body? I was only out of the room for five minutes! The furry bastard. I am upstairs again and posting on here, and I hear more skittering and crying. I like to think she is crying "Oh no! What have I done!?", but I know it is really, "This is what happens when you don't give me the attention that I want."

She has never done this stuff before. She is very upset with me right now.

Bastard. Now to go find the rest of that poor reindeer. If I can.

Zerojul

As others have said :
If you're lucky enough to find one, I'd suggest you get a QuinJet. Might be hard, but really worth it as I think it has everything you're looking for in a set
The Milano is a really nice looking ship too, with interesting techniques. And it's easily available everywhere. Both are a blast to build, even better if you know and appreciate the source material !
Then Galaxy Squad is an awesome line, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where it's still available, grab some (from what I read here they're often on sale). I especially loved the 70704.

Even though I'm a little biased towards space stuff myself, and I'm really glad I managed to get everything from the GS theme even though they've been discontinued for quite some time where I live, I think overall I have more fun with the MF theme. Building HH and Vampyre Hearse and displaying them together was the most fun I had with Lego since I jumped back in the game, and MF has so many awesome minifigs (the swamp creature is my favorite minifig, all themes aside). I'd have liked to see more :-(

Okay, so what voting tiers do we want for a best of list?

I am thinking all tiers should be based off of MSRP. I am thinking $29.99 and below, $30.99- $98.99, and $99.99+. That gives three tiers, and each have plenty of sets released in the calendar year to make it interesting.
I also think a Biggest Disappointment and Biggest Surprise categories are good, as well as Best Minifig (all genders).

Does that sound fair, or are there more suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions! I gotta say, that Galaxy Squad stuff looks fantastic! I'll have a look around to see if I can still find some the toy store near my workplace, otherwise I might have to go hunting.

The GS theme and Quinjet are all on eBay (brand new), but with a markup of 20-40% from RRP, depending on the set. So not too hard to find, but I'm not sure about the price. Paying AUD$85 (w/ shipping) for a AUD$60 set is not too bad, but paying AUD$180 for a AUD$130 set is pushing it. I dunno, they look awesome, but I'll just have to see what else I can find locally first.

I know for a fact that the Milano and Benny's Spaceship are easy to find (seen them at a couple of places), so they are now on my list, but I'll try to grab the rarer stuff first! :)

Okay, so what voting tiers do we want for a best of list?

I am thinking all tiers should be based off of MSRP. I am thinking $29.99 and below, $30.99- $98.99, and $99.99+. That gives three tiers, and each have plenty of sets released in the calendar year to make it interesting.
I also think a Biggest Disappointment and Biggest Surprise categories are good, as well as Best Minifig (all genders).

Does that sound fair, or are there more suggestions?

Can I throw out piece count as a suggestion? The price will be skwed with licensed sets (and regions) but you could do < 100 pieces, 101 to 300, 301 to 800, 801 to 1000 & 1000 and above or somethign like that.

Parts counts or price works either way. I just don't think we should have too many categories, three at most + minifigs.

Maybe <200 pieces (covers Mixels, small Creator stuff and mini franchise sets), 200-1000 pieces (cover most standard sets) and 1000+ (covers everything rather expensive).

kitzkozan

Modulars fit two of those criteria. Very interesting build techniques, lots of useful pieces for MOCing just about anything, and relatively cheap for the number of pieces.

Having said that, look into the Creator stuff. Those usually have a great variety of pieces for making just about anything, and are some of the cheapest sets in the price per brick ratio.

And if you stumble upon any Galaxy Squad that is on sale still, BUY IT! Best series since I returned from the dark ages in 2012. Awesome techniques throughout, and gives you lots of great piece and ideas for vehicle MOCs.

Ghostmind will pimp Galaxy Squad hard as well, and I am sure a few other wonderful LEGO GAF members will too.

Galaxy Squad brought me back from my dark age lol. Even when it was revealed, I was tempted despite not having the budget for buying Lego. :] I personally love the color palette of the sets + the robot minifigs. I think the reasons why it didn't meet the commercial expectations of Lego were:

- Overshadowed by Star Wars as far as space theme are concerned (duh!).
- Lots of people didn't like the bugs and their weird vehicles.
- I admit that the theme lacked focus, as the human vehicles were sturdy and had plenty of play features for kids, while the alien ones were more fragile with few play features and better suited for display which are characteristic of sets usually aimed for an adult audience. The theme simply lacked a cohesive vision or rather the execution wasn't completely up to par (the theme was aimed at kids just as much as Chima, Ninjago or Ultra agents are).

I agree that it's one of the better if not best theme of the last few years, but I must give an honorable mention to Monster Fighters as well. :] Yeah, the good guys are rather dull and boring, but it's all about the monsters anyway. :D While Galaxy Squad focus on vehicles, Monster fighters is about buildings and minifigs (plus glow in the dark pieces + stickers). I love the fact that it's focused on old school hollywood monster characters such as the creature from the black lagoon, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Mummy, etc. Nice mix of retro + steampunk with the good guys vehicles. The modular like haunted house is just the cherry on top of what is a great theme.

Galaxy Squad and Monster fighters are the best modern theme imo and both didn't sell all that well lol (although MH does have a couple of sets which are highly sought after such as the Zombies + Haunted House and eventually the Vampyre castle when it's going to be completely sold out worldwide).

kapowza

hurrah, got the Sopwith Camel for about £50 + some points yesterday, been wanting it for a while. Nowhere to put it though.

Galaxy Squad brought me back from my dark age lol. Even when it was revealed, I was tempted despite not having the budget for buying Lego. :] I personally love the color palette of the sets + the robot minifigs. I think the reasons why it didn't meet the commercial expectations of Lego were:

- Overshadowed by Star Wars as far as space theme are concerned (duh!).
- Lots of people didn't like the bugs and their weird vehicles.
- I admit that the theme lacked focus, as the human vehicles were sturdy and had plenty of play features for kids, while the alien ones were more fragile with few play features and better suited for display which are characteristic of sets usually aimed for an adult audience. The theme simply lacked a cohesive vision or rather the execution wasn't completely up to par (the theme was aimed at kids just as much as Chima, Ninjago or Ultra agents are).

I agree that it's one of the better if not best theme of the last few years, but I must give an honorable mention to Monster Fighters as well. :] Yeah, the good guys are rather dull and boring, but it's all about the monsters anyway. :D While Galaxy Squad focus on vehicles, Monster fighters is about buildings and minifigs (plus glow in the dark pieces + stickers). I love the fact that it's focused on old school hollywood monster characters such as the creature from the black lagoon, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, Mummy, etc. Nice mix of retro + steampunk with the good guys vehicles. The modular like haunted house is just the cherry on top of what is a great theme.

Galaxy Squad and Monster fighters are the best modern theme imo and both didn't sell all that well lol (although MH does have a couple of sets which are highly sought after such as the Zombies + Haunted House and eventually the Vampyre castle when it's going to be completely sold out worldwide).

I doubt that Galaxy Squad will be that sought after. It's been clearance fodder for a year and still not completely cleared out. As for me, I got the Bug Obliterator to try it out and it was nice, but not awesome. It could have been a good Futuron remake if they made a base or two and dumped the insects.

kitzkozan

I doubt that Galaxy Squad will be that sought after. It's been clearance fodder for a year and still not completely cleared out. As for me, I got the Bug Obliterator to try it out and it was nice, but not awesome. It could have been a good Futuron remake if they made a base or two and dumped the insects.

You never know, just look at the MF set The zombies which was discounted often at Target when it was available to get it moving off the shelves and look at it's insane price tag now. :p

By the way, I just had a look at the canadian Toys 'R' Us flyer for black friday. :) As far as Lego toys goes, here's what might be of interest for some of you:

Select LEGO Building Sets are 30% off
Select LEGO Hobbit Building Sets are 20% off
Free LEGO Creator Decorating The Tree Build with Purchase of $30 or more on Any LEGO Building Sets

If you shop from November 28 through November 30, you'll receive a free $15 savings card with your purchase over $100. This card is redeemable on purchases over $50 from December 5 through December 18.

I'm guessing the Decorating the Tree is a polybag which was sold at LEGO stores last year?

Interesting how they didn't add the stickers, good on them!

LEGO sets comes with stickers? Is it that colorful plastic sheet that comes with a lot of sets? I always wondered what those were.

5TxDQFS.png

My theme of the year for 2013.

r15ipJu.jpg

Definitely an under-rated theme, but the masses speak. All the more clearance and sale sets for me because I really liked it.

I just noticed, Star Slicer isn't pictured? That's the only one I don't have. Also the Warp Stinger looks awesome, but it wasn't swooshable thus led to little playability IMO. It was hard to get a good hold on it and I have grown up hands.

I would have thought Galaxy Squad spoke to the kid crowd a lot more than Aliens Conquest. I think Galaxy Squad sold much better, but obviously not a high demand theme by kids. Aliens Conquest retro look and feel probably wasn't very appealing to kids of this day and age. My son liked the tripod thingy, but had little interest in the other sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom