• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

I think it's awesome you guys are doing your Top 10 lists since I've just started getting interested in Lego myself. I was wondering if everyone would consider adding some special category awards after their Top 10?

Ideas I have:
  • Best set under $25
  • Best set under $10
  • Best Minifigure
  • Best Mixel
  • Biggest disappointment

I'm really mostly interested in the best small sets, especially ones that offer great value

boltz

Dammit, this thread is like a reverse AA group, in that it enables crazy Lego purchasing :p I am this close to going down the rabbit hole of modulars, but to see what my priorities should be, I'd like to see how you guys would rank these sets:

- Detective's Office
- Parisian Restaurant
- Pet Shop
- Palace Cinema
- Town Hall
- Green Grocer
- Cafe Corner
- Fire Brigade
- Grand Emporium
- Market Street

Detective's Office and Parisian are already on my potentials list since I've already heard a lot of acclaim for them in this thread. The older sets are just pipe dreams for me at this point since their cost is pretty prohibitive, but I'm curious to see how they compare to current sets.

Take with the requisite grains of salt, but here is a rumoured Disney CMF list:

1. Mickey Mouse
2. Minnie Mouse
3. Donald Duck and Pluto
4. Peter Pan
5. Mulan
6. Genie
7. Aladdin
8. Lilo
9. Stitch
10. Tarzan
11. Jane
12. Captain Hook
13. Jafar
14. Joy
15. Sadness
16. Anger
17. Fear
18. Disgust

Could be a lot worse i guess... (if true that is)

Then again, what is 3) supposed to be? Donald and...Pluto? What? If anything he should be by himself or go with Mickey!

Also: No Scrooge, no Goofy :(

And a TON of Inside Out characters, hmmm

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Stitch would be awesome, can see myself passing on the rest unless they look awesome when they're revealed. Will be interesting to see how the silhouettes of those characters translate as they're wildly different from each other.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of minifigures in general and especially don't have much interest in most of those Disney figures, but I would love the Lilo and Stitch minifigs.

Dammit, this thread is like a reverse AA group, in that it enables crazy Lego purchasing :p I am this close to going down the rabbit hole of modulars, but to see what my priorities should be, I'd like to see how you guys would rank these sets:

- Detective's Office
- Parisian Restaurant
- Pet Shop
- Palace Cinema
- Town Hall
- Green Grocer
- Cafe Corner
- Fire Brigade
- Grand Emporium
- Market Street

Detective's Office and Parisian are already on my potentials list since I've already heard a lot of acclaim for them in this thread. The older sets are just pipe dreams for me at this point since their cost is pretty prohibitive, but I'm curious to see how they compare to current sets.

Get Parisian and Pet Shop asap since they're still available. PS could disappear at any time, so that should be a priority. Detective's is great so you should get that a bit later, same with (most likely) 2016's Brick Bank. Palace Cinema might also disappear soon but it's the weakest currently available set.

As for the ones already gone, everyone needs Green Grocer. But it's stupidly expensive, even if you piece it together. However, it looks great in many colours (there's a thread on Eurobricks), so you can find a cheaper alternative.

If you go down that route, Cafe Corner is next. Very beautiful building, but it needs some heavy redesigning not to go madly expensive.

That would be my cut-off if I started now. Fire Brigade is nice, but for the money it goes for you pretty much get Ghostbusters HQ. Grand Emporium has a nice exterior but a dull build. Town Hall is just big and boring. Market Street is barely a modular to begin with, and a simpler build than the recent Creator houses.

- Detective's Office
- Parisian Restaurant
- Pet Shop
- Palace Cinema
- Town Hall
- Green Grocer
- Cafe Corner
- Fire Brigade
- Grand Emporium
- Market Street

Siegfried's already answered, but I think he's the only active poster in the thread with all of the modulars, including the three "pre Fire Brigade" ones. Best to least of the others, IMO follows. Note that Detective's Office has lay unopened since January second, so I can't comment on the build. Fire Brigade looks nice, but as previously mentioned the Ghostbusters set looks like an improvement, and FB's bottom floor is too damn deep.

- Parisian Restaurant
- Pet Shop
- Town Hall
- Grand Emporium
- Fire Brigade
- Palace Cinema

Ponn

Banned
PhoncipleBone’s Top 10 of 2015

The following are my favorite sets of 2015. As with every year, this is only reflective of what I personally bought during the year, as I am sure there are many gems out there that I missed, but these are the ones that stuck out the most to me.
There are many factors I personally consider when thinking of best sets for the year. The build itself, the final look of the set, the parts pack, and the price. Just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it is automatically amazing. There are some great builds out there for relatively low prices.
But, without further ado…

10. UCS TIE Fighter
Large and in charge. While Slave 1 may be a better build overall, I have always had a soft spot for the old school TIE Fighter design. The build is fun yet repetitive, but repetition in a build usually yields very nice looking results. This set is absolutely massive when completed, and looks glorious on display. I would expect nothing less from an UCS Star Wars set. They did the workhorse of the Imperial fleet proud with this set.

9. Avengers Quinjet City Chase
The regulars on here know that I have long been a pimp of the original Avengers Quinjet set. I think Ghostmind and I were the first two to be hard selling that set, and it is also what put Marcos Bessa on our radar for a designer to blindly follow.
While I think the OG Quinjet looks better than the new version, I think the build on the new one is better. So many play features hidden in the set, as well as one of the more impressive assortment of figures for an Avengers set. After all, this is the only way to get Vision! But there is an Avengers set that delivers even better figures, a better build, and an even better price…

8. TIE Advanced Prototype
I know what you are thinking. “Another TIE set, Phoney Bone?” Yes, another TIE set. But, unlike the UCS TIE Fighter, I have no emotional attachment to the inspiration vehicle since I never watched Rebels (I know, I should). But this is a solid, “chunky” build. Everything just feels solid and strong in this set as it comes together. There is an impressive amount of pieces crammed into such a tiny space and seemingly in all directions.

7. Hulk Buster Smash!
An early year favorite on here, and with good reason. This is the new Lex Luthor Power Armor, meaning it delivers an awesome looking mech, but also a really awesome build and a load of fantastic figures. To cap it off, it is $30 or less, which hits so many sweet spots. You get a lot of great and useful parts in the set, but also a bunch of great figures as well. One of the easiest sets to recommend to people, especially because of the price.

6. Ultra Agens Ocean HQ
This theme deserved more attention. Sure, I didn’t get them all, but every set always delivered with a fantastic and imaginative build, and some really fun figures as well. This was the cream of the crop though. A brick built hull with lots of interesting techniques, as well as loads of hidden play features throughout the entire thing. The command center/radio shack of the ship was perhaps the coolest part since you essentially had SNOT work going in every single direction before connecting it to the main hull.
It was a very, very tough call to drop this out of the top 5, but I could not in good conscious rank it above the next entry…

5. Ferris Wheel
Speaking of large and in charge…
This set is HUGE once completed. It only has the footprint of a 48x48 plate, but it looms over nearly everything around it. Absolutely massive and gorgeous when completed, it is also a fantastic parts pack that delivers the goods while coming in below the magical $.10 a brick price point.
Yes, the build gets extremely repetitive for the second half, but repetition usually yields fantastic looking results. Just slap a motor on this bad boy, and you have one stand out show piece for your collection.

4. Attack of the Morro Dragon
Menacing is the only way to describe this thing. The dark blue and pale neon color scheme is striking when on display, and the dragon itself has just enough posable sections to it to integrate into many displays and scenes (although I wish the main body were segmented for some truly freaky poses). The build is unique and lots of fun, and it also has a fantastic array of parts in great colors. Top it off with some amazing ninja figures, this set feels like it is crossing an old kung fu film with a ghost film. It was tickling all the right spots for me. Thanks, Ponn1. Thanks for starting the hype train on this set. It delivered. Big time.

3. Blue Power Jet
I can’t remember who the first person on the hype train for this set was, but they deserve all the credit. Just magnificent from beginning to end. So many cool techniques to the build, and SNOT going in almost every direction. And the wings. My god, the wings. Once those came together, it sealed this set’s place in the best of the year. Something so stupidly simple, but incredibly effective.
The regular Creator line usually delivers the best bang for the buck, but this one went above and beyond. Just absolutely wonderful stuff in here.

2. Detective’s Office
A Jamie Berard modular being one of the best sets of the year? Shocking!
I think we all know what to expect from a Jamie modular at this point. Lots of awesome and useful pieces, some great building techniques, and a very cool display piece. I don’t think much else needs to be said about this set. I think most on here were already convinced to get it just because it is a modular. But, I will say that the water tower section has to be the most surprising and awesome build for me in the last couple of years. The way it comes together, and using parts I have had for a couple of decades, was so eye opening and amazing. Even if the rest of the build sucked (which it doesn’t), the water tower alone would get this near the top of the list.
But, for me, it is two years in a row with a Jamie modular playing second fiddle to something else…

1. Temple of Airjitzu
Beautiful. Just absolutely beautiful. Combining a classical Japanese architecture look with just enough play features, this set brings honor to its ancestors. While the build doesn’t offer as many cool techniques as Detective Office or Blue Power Jet, it is still solid and fun, but also one magnificent display piece. It is so easy and fun to stage mock ninja battles all over it, and the set has no shortage of ninjas.
Top it off with a lot of cool and solid interactive features, and you have one joyous set. I was just filled with glee almost the entire time I built it. It is absolutely everything I thought I ever wanted from the Ninjago theme over all these years. Classical Japanese architecture and a kung fu flick brought to life, with just enough fun touches to it. Now I need a spooky, ghost like equivalent to scratch the itch that Morro Dragon began. Perhaps a ghost samurai temple? That would be amazing.
This is my new Haunted House. When I think of a set that just screams character, this is it this year. I cannot recommend it enough.

And for the rest that I loved this year, but had to cut from the top ten (in no particular order):

And finally, a set that deserves special mention:

This is both one of the best and worst sets of the year. It was so fun to build, and looks absolutely perfect once done. I mentioned in the Temple of Airjitzu review that it screamed character. Well, this one screams it as well. It is about as close as we will ever get to the character come to life in our living rooms.
If only it didn’t have that wonky neck…
Yes, I know that there are fixes out there. Some custom (like mine), and some official. But the fixes should never have been needed. The issue with the neck was so massive and glaring, there is no excuse for it making it past QA. It is a massive, glaring oversight to an otherwise amazing set.
I still wholeheartedly recommend the set, but the fact that there was an issue in the first place immediately drops it off the best of the year list for me. If it had the fixed neck with the ball joint from the start, it would have made choosing a top 10 even harder than it already was.

God,+I+pity+Me..jpg

Great list Phon. I'm not surprised Morro Dragon made it on your list but I am surprised it ranked higher than Agents Ocean HQ since you loved that line. I would probably rate Temple of Airjitsu high as well but I have yet to buy it. I will try to pick it up next year before it goes oop. I should speak volumes about the Ninjago line this year that two sets made it on your list. They had a strong lineup this year with a great theme.

There are some surprising figs in that Disney CMF lineup like Mulan and Jane but not Jasmine. I liked Inside Out but the entire lineup with no Big Hero 6 figs is disappointing.

not my perfect lineup but I'll take it! Sad that Goofy isn't there but what can ya do. Tarzan and Jane are weak additions IMO

There are some surprising figs in that Disney CMF lineup like Mulan and Jane but not Jasmine. I liked Inside Out but the entire lineup with no Big Hero 6 figs is disappointing.

The glaring omissions lead me to believe there is a high chance for a follow-up Disney CMF series. Or possibly some Disney themed LEGO System sets.

Daisy and Goofy are major missing golden age classic cartoon characters. Also, there could be variants of Mickey, Minnie, and Donald. Imagine B&W original Mickey and Minnie.
Pete, Chip n Dale, Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey & Louie, can easily filly out the golden age/classic cartoon characters category for a 3rd wave.

Winnie the Pooh would be amazing, but not sure on the rights deal. I think Disney has all the rights, but must pay royalties to A.A. Milne estate.

What is interesting is Mulan is on the list and none of the Disney Princesses that are part of the LEGO Disney Princess (Friends) theme. I wonder why Tiana hasn't made it into the LEGO Disney Princess sets. I can understand LEGO staying away from Pocahontas. Most likely LEGO won't do existing mini-doll Disney Princesses in minifigure format until LEGO Disney Princess theme is done.

EDIT: Nevermind about Winnie the Pooh concerns. It can happen if Disney and LEGO want it. They already do the Pooh in Duplo.

Just_one

- Detective's Office
- Parisian Restaurant
- Pet Shop
- Palace Cinema
- Town Hall
- Green Grocer
- Cafe Corner
- Fire Brigade
- Grand Emporium
- Market Street

i feel in love with modulars too, they are just so gorgeous and great to build,

I got the Parisian Resturant and asked my wife for x-mas either the petshop or the palace cinema since they are the oldest ones still available to buy (no im not giving huge amount of money for something out of circulation). So i would start there.

probably next year i will buy either the bank or the detective´s office but if you are starting go with the oldest one still in circulation that meaning the petshop and the cinema.

i heard a rumuour that in january one of the those were going to get cut off. if not both. in the last modular image from lego the pet shop and cinema are no longer there , look below.

Lego-10251-Modular-Bank-Row-with-Other-Modulars-.jpg

Ponn

Banned
The glaring omissions lead me to believe there is a high chance for a follow-up Disney CMF series. Or possibly some Disney themed LEGO System sets.

Daisy and Goofy are major missing golden age classic cartoon characters. Also, there could be variants of Mickey, Minnie, and Donald. Imagine B&W original Mickey and Minnie.
Pete, Chip n Dale, Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey & Louie, can easily filly out the golden age/classic cartoon characters category for a 3rd wave.

Winnie the Pooh would be amazing, but not sure on the rights deal. I think Disney has all the rights, but must pay royalties to A.A. Milne estate.

What is interesting is Mulan is on the list and none of the Disney Princesses that are part of the LEGO Disney Princess (Friends) theme. I wonder why Tiana hasn't made it into the LEGO Disney Princess sets. I can understand LEGO staying away from Pocahontas. Most likely LEGO won't do existing mini-doll Disney Princesses in minifigure format until LEGO Disney Princess theme is done.

EDIT: Nevermind about Winnie the Pooh concerns. It can happen if Disney and LEGO want it. They already do the Pooh in Duplo.

Just give me Darkwing Duck and Gizmo Duck.

I told my wife not to get me anything for xmas day and instead wait until the first of the year for the bank/GB HQ.

She might bend and get me the ferris wheel for xmas day, which would be just fine by me too.

i feel in love with modulars too, they are just so gorgeous and great to build,

I got the Parisian Resturant and asked my wife for x-mas either the petshop or the palace cinema since they are the oldest ones still available to buy (no im not giving huge amount of money for something out of circulation). So i would start there.

probably next year i will buy either the bank or the detective´s office but if you are starting go with the oldest one still in circulation that meaning the petshop and the cinema.

i heard a rumuour that in january one of the those were going to get cut off. if not both. in the last modular image from lego the pet shop and cinema are no longer there , look below.

Lego-10251-Modular-Bank-Row-with-Other-Modulars-.jpg

The street artwork for modulars has always just been the last three.

Maengun1

Hmm. Not crazy about the rumored Disney list. Jane over Jasmine and Ariel? Weird. Of course there's the possibility series 2 is already planned as well. I do like having the Inside Out characters as well as Lilo & Stitch. Pixar being included also has TONS of choices for future lines that are unrepresented here.

It's hard for me to name favorite sets of the year because I'm typically buying sets from the previous year at any given time. Counting stuff I don't even have yet, I think Ferris Wheel is my favorite, but of what I own I gotta go with Kwik-E-Mart. The interior is just amazing.

TheFuzz

I've got $60 in VIP points I was planning to use on the Bank in January. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on Temple of Arjitzu now and grab the Bank during the next Double VIP.

First world problems.

LEGO Avengers - The Game (Open World Trailer): https://youtu.be/7bAy3TP2I2g

And the preorder bonus:
ms3o9ma.jpg

OMG! SILVER CENTURION! I MUST HAVE THIS FIGURE!

Best Iron Man armor gets a figure!

EDIT: I just had a brilliant idea. LEGO needs to make an Armor Wars line of sets. Each set has a different Iron Man armor, but also an armored villain. Just use it as an excuse to throw in any Iron Man villain, like Titanium Man or Crimson Dynamo. And then they can make a set with a brick built Fin Fang Foom.

boltz

Ok, it looks like Pet Shop will be my first modular purchase. Also, now that you guys mention that you can hook up a motor to the Ferris Wheel, that is mighty tempting now too.

Ok, it looks like Pet Shop will be my first modular purchase. Also, now that you guys mention that you can hook up a motor to the Ferris Wheel, that is mighty tempting now too.

Get two motors, and you can power both Ferris Wheel and Fairground Mixer from one battery pack. :)

Deefuzz

not my perfect lineup but I'll take it! Sad that Goofy isn't there but what can ya do. Tarzan and Jane are weak additions IMO

I was really happy to see the exclusion of Goofy. If this is true this almost guarantees a Series 2, as there is no way they would leave one of the fab 5 unmade. I'm a big Disney nut so I am definitely hoping for several waves of Disney minifigs!

Oh man. Here's hoping!

Hmm. Not crazy about the rumored Disney list. Jane over Jasmine and Ariel? Weird. Of course there's the possibility series 2 is already planned as well. I do like having the Inside Out characters as well as Lilo & Stitch. Pixar being included also has TONS of choices for future lines that are unrepresented here.

I don't really understand it. Like it seems that they've avoided princesses because there's already minidolls of them but then there's Mulan. Are they going to be figs or dolls?

I hope that list's rubbish, to be honest. It's a horrible mish-mash of characters without a clear theme, I'd much rather have a bunch of traditional Disney figs, then a Pixar series, then princesses or whatever else. Plus 18 there being figs is annoying, haha.

boltz

Get two motors, and you can power both Ferris Wheel and Fairground Mixer from one battery pack. :)

Thanks for the tip - now you just gave me a reason to pick up a mixer :p

On a building-set related note, a few weeks ago I had picked up a small Nanoblocks set of a pair of clownfish for the kiddos. I finally broke it out last night to build and boy, is it a PITA to work with such small blocks. It just took all the fun out of the build to have to handle those things, so I can understand how those things are not much more popular despite looking really cool. Not to mention how fragile the completed build was.

So now I have a great appreciation for the size that normal-sized Legos are.

Markus

to be fair, while it is great to have the FW turn by itself and just watch in awe as the figs you placed in there go by, that thing DOES make a lot more noise than i was anticipating... you have been warned ;)

to be fair, while it is great to have the FW turn by itself and just watch in awe as the figs you placed in there go by, that thing DOES make a lot more noise than i was anticipating... you have been warned ;)

Yes! I thought I was the only one. I also wish that the speed was adjustable, but that may just be due to the motor I have.

I think I'm done buying LEGO for 2015.

As of this date, according to Brickset, the retail price of my collection is $4,202.

Help me feel better
jealous
, LEGO-GAF.

Oh man, it's happening :) 2016 is going to be an expensive year methinks.

At least that set won't be too expensive (looking at you Ghostbusters HQ) since that set seems like a standard Batman retail LEGO set based on numbering. The price cap is probably $130, but will most likely be much lower IMO.

I think I'm done buying LEGO for 2015.

As of this date, according to Brickset, the retail price of my collection is $4,202.

Help me feel better
jealous
, LEGO-GAF.

If you have a lot of modulars and other exclusives, it's likely your aftermarket value is higher if you ever had to sell.

TheFuzz

At least that set won't be too expensive (looking at you Ghostbusters HQ) since that set seems like a standard Batman retail LEGO set based on numbering. The price cap is probably $130, but will most likely be much lower IMO.

If you have a lot of modulars and other exclusives, it's likely your aftermarket value is higher if you ever had to sell.

Batcave is rumored to be a D2C set, rumored to be $150-160, similar to Arkham.

Oh ya, I know my resell is ok, although I've broken down a lot of sets and thrown out most of the boxes. My unopened backlog includes the Imperial Shuttle UCS and Haunted House and I may just leave them there in case of emergency. I have more than enough to occupy my time.

I just like to check how much I've spent up till now and curious what others have spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom