• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Free exclusive Jor-El Minifigure with any LEGO® DC Universe Super Heroes purchase. Free gift offer is valid November 26 through 11:59pm EST December 31, 2014 or while supplies last. Offer is only valid on shop.LEGO.com.

xVtO24X.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Free exclusive Jor-El Minifigure with any LEGO® DC Universe Super Heroes purchase. Free gift offer is valid November 26 through 11:59pm EST December 31, 2014 or while supplies last. Offer is only valid on shop.LEGO.com.

xVtO24X.jpg

Oh nice I gave mine I got the first time to my friend for a christmas present and kind of regretted it.

Now we just need the rest of the Brickfriday deals.

Boy, it really seems like TLG is flushing out a lot of these old exclusive figures these days.

Ravek

Banned
Please. Let's not bring the Helix Fossil/Lord/Savior/Mythology/things into this LEGO thread.

Those two worlds cannot handle each other.

Excellent work as usual Ghostmind! You're the one we all try to beat with LEGO news. :)

January 1st!

EDIT: January 5th in Germany it seems.

So glad they are back on the calendar year schedule starting on Jan. I hope they aren't upping the releases to 4 per year instead of the 3 per year. With the Mixels and other themes coming out regularly that would be too much especially with the price increase.

Wow, they are bringing the heat this time!

The Explorer lady, disco dude, cyclops, space man, samurai & Egyptian figs are the only duds.

Love the construction guy...the unicorn....that King's robe is fantastic. And obviously the delicious wiener dude.

- I like the Explorer Lady. It has a nice new female explorer hat mould.
- That ain't no disco dude, that's a disco diva. I like it a lot. The reddish brown fro is very welcome too. I was hoping it wouldn't be black.
- Agree on the female cyclops. I really liked the male cyclops. My cyclops tribe will have to fight over the 1 or 2 female cyclops I get.
- Space trooper will be in high demand. It's no dud, dude. I will get a bunch for an army.
- Samurai is OK. I wish they did a Samurai Kimono version. Like onekightr said, it appears to be going for the Mulan look.
- The Egyptian warriors are great. They fill a void in that area if a person has any interest.

IMO, I only think the female cyclops is a dude. I think the rest are all well done.

Hot dog guy is a must get! I'm also loving the following:

Burger King King
Ming the Merciless
Mulan
Wreck it Ralph in Hero's Duty Outfit

That's what those figures remind me of. lol

On a side note, does anyone know if Black Friday is double VIP or did I just screw myself by not placing my order this past Saturday?

You beat me to it. That IS Burger King. When do we get Ronald McDonald clown.
This is Ming the Merciless

EDIT: I forgot to mention I like Bob the Builder...I mean Carl the Carpenter. I see LEGO is making good use out of the Emmet mould.

ghostmind

Excellent work as usual Ghostmind! You're the one we all try to beat with LEGO news. :)

namtab37 had me beat by a minute this time, so kudos to him!

After S12 being so strong, I was wondering if S13 would deliver. Very happy to see LEGO knocking it out of the park again.

namtab37 had me beat by a minute this time, so kudos to him!

After S12 being so strong, I was wondering if S13 would deliver. Very happy to see LEGO knocking it out of the park again.

Ah, he did indeed. The image grabbed my attention first.
Yes, Series 13 is a Home Run IMO.

Rootbeer

Banned
best:

King
unicorn person
evil wizard
hot dog guy

honorable mention:
galaxy guy, but we already have quite a few like him

will be in high demand:
paleontologist since it mixes so well with the Research Institute

Here's my thoughts on The Lego Neighborhood Book.

Having completed two modular Lego buildings, I bought this book to see if I could pick up any solid ideas. The Lego Neighborhood Book is a fairly comprehensive look into how to make your own buildings in the modular style. It lists the basic requirements… and the promptly tells you to ignore them if you want. After all, the idea is to build something the way you want it, not necessarily so that it fits with some commercially released sets.

The book then gives some good suggestions on how to get inspiration, mostly by showing photos of architectural designs and making Lego versions. There are some solid tips for making your street come alive with benches, parking meters and other such stuff, and a big chapter on internal furnishings for every kind of room. However, the book expects some basic knowledge of advanced Lego building to figure out some constructions on your own, and it doesn’t go into details like LDU’s, the 5:6 proportions, angled builds or anything like that.

More than half of the book is taken up by building instructions, and it feels a little strange to basically have paid for what (technically) comes for free in sets. The instructions give you a very detailed two-storied corner building, as well as a narrower 16×32 basic design which can be highly customized with your own front, with three separate variations given. The former, the Corner Drugstore, goes into more detail than a regular commercial set and ends up with a truly amazing build, but I’d assume that the parts count makes it expensive to put together. Also, making something by someone else’s instructions isn’t nearly as fun as coming up with one yourself.

Overall I think I missed the sweet spot for this one. A year ago or so, I would have been inspired and probably gotten started earlier. Now, after finishing almost all of the modular buildings, I already have a solid start into creating my own stuff. Not a bad purchase if you’re just getting started, but I’m already on the advanced course: ”The Unofficial Lego Advanced Building Techniques Guide”…

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Here's my thoughts on The Lego Neighborhood Book.
I've had the book on my amazon wishlist for a few months now- i'm hoping i'll get it for xmas eventually. I think I could do with both the building inspiration and education, so based on your summary it's probably something I need.

I just love that since Cafe Corner there's been a sub-genre of town mocs- there's a lot of good fan created stuff out there.

Ryuuroden

Did any one see this piece on BBC News?

Has the imagination disappeared from Lego?

I don't buy it at all the instructions harm the imagination factor and when I were a kid it guided me. Yeah I built the set as instructed but then, much as I presume many kids did, the parts ended up in the Lego chest for free reign.

A good portion of the comments on the bottom were the worst part lol. Some guy saying Lego comes prebuilt nowadays, huh? Or the constant gripping of supposed every piece is specialized so you can't use it for other things. This comment is rediculous because the so called specialized pieces actually inhance creativity. With 80's bricks you did not have near the number of options to build with. These people are confusing creativity with imagination. I had lots of imagination that I could not put into physical being as a kid that I can do now. The larger number of parts and colors has expanded exponentially the creative ideas and methods of building and detail that I could only imagine before. A specialized piece is something that can't be used for any other purpose. When even Lego planet balls from the star wars sets have found their way into other uses in actual builds I think you cannot make an argument that Lego parts are too specialized.

Kyari

Weird Lego related complaint: There are a fair number of notable absences from Lego Batman 3 and that makes me sad.

The fencer is giving me Castle Crashers vibes, awesome. I really want the galaxy squad dude now since I missed out on the cool space dudes in the past.

wetwired

new series looks great, not many repeats from previous series this time, only one that feels lazy is the female cyclops. Hot dog man is probably my favourite, but they're all great, the king, ming the merciless, snake charmer, builder, disco stu, goblin, unicorn, female samurai, archaeologist, fencer, sheriff

**Rumor Time**

76042 UCS Helicarrier

$350 USD

March 1st
Gulp! This would be very tempting, but that's an intimidating price point. What does that translate to in Aussie bucks? Like, $400-$500? What other existing sets are at that price point so I can compare?

EDIT: Yep, that would translate to AUD$500, as the Mindstorms EV3 set is USD$350 and AUD$500. Yikes, that's a bit rich for my blood unfortunately.

Ainaurdur

Is the Galactic Titan worth picking up with that 20% discount? It's basically one of the few sets I'm missing from the theme.

I have not actually built mine yet (In my delightful backlog of sets.) but I would think that it is worth picking up at 20% off if you like how it looks, and there is any chance that you will regret not having it later if/when it climbs above the original price after it goes OoP.
It may not typically hit everyone's list of best Galaxy Squad sets, but still... it's Galaxy Squad!

Ohhh. Whatcha' get? I have a hard time deciding between cars and Lego. I was looking earlier today but left without getting too deep into the negotiation charade.

Haha, I wish but I had to spend money on getting the car fixed. Though I was downsizing my collection anyways so that helped cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom