• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me preface this with the following: There are three boxes under our tree that look an awful lot like Parisian Restaurant, Mini Cooper & Benny's Spaceship. No idea where they would fall in my list...

Sets

1) I know this set fell short for a lot of people, but this basically fulfills my childhood dream of always wanting an AT-AT. The build was interesting (especially the head/neck) and the thing has a lot of flexibility in when posing it.
75054-1.jpg

2) This was a legitimate contender for favorite set of the year. I know it's a tiny one, and I personally can't stand the theme but I'll be damned if this isn't the best brick built figure they've released. The exo-suit's fragility really showcases what a terrific design this is.

3) This will end up on a lot of lists & there isn't much more to say about it. It's a very fragile set so it's on this list as my favorite display set of the year. I grew up loving Ghostbusters so it's a no-brainer.

4) It really is the Quinjet of 2014. I actually prefer it to the Avengers set-love the feathering on the wings. This is one of the few non-Star Wars sets I have that will remain built.

5) I've got no idea what this ship is or where it falls in the Star Wars universe. I presume it's related to that Yoda Chronicles show, but we've only seen the first one so I can't say for sure. All that matters is that the ship is incredibly stylish & looks slick as hell. Plus it's got a blue astromech droid which pretty much seals the deal. The Ithorian Jedi doesn't hurt either.

Minifigs

I feel that this year LEGO really stepped up its game in the minifig department. The classic green spacemen were such a treat. All of the Simpsons CMFs were really well done, the Star Wars battle packs knocked it out of the park and the non-Spiderman Marvel sets were filled with awesome characters.

Since I'm not sure if that astromechs count (re: the aforementioned blue dude), I had two real standouts this year:

I really liked this game back in the day so I was really surprised to see him/her released as a fig. I wonder if we'll look back at this figure in December 2015 and have a better understanding of why it was released...? A guy can hope.

All I know about MODOK is that he made Ryan Davis laugh, and this fig does the same for me. I'm not sure if he is a legitimate villain in the Marvel Universe or more of a joke character, but the figure is ridiculous. So angry.

Polybags

It's strange that I've got two Chima sets on my list given that I don't like the theme. That having been said outside of the fig-centric exclusives I think the Spider Crawler is a great little build. Lots of playability & an appropriately freaky headpiece for the fig.

Exclusive

Hands down the coolest exclusive of the year. A few of us here grew up with the 1977-1984 Classic Space theme & the whole package just plays directly to our nostalgia. Love it.

Biggest Disappointment

I rushed out to get this set the first day it was available, thrilled at the prospect of building it. While I enjoyed some elements (the furniture and a few of the interiors) I was incredibly disappointed by the quality of the build. I've complained about the way the car hole attaches to the house before, but I literally had to try to do it four times & each failure resulted in collapsing walls. The front of the house while true to the source is totally dull, and the figures have creepy/strange paint jobs. The eyes are really off putting, as evidenced by the far superior CMF versions. The car is flimsy it feels like concessions were made to fit it into the garage. Overall, I just feel it could have been so much better.

End of year PSA

Many of us are in the privileged position of comfortably posting to an internet web forum about a children's toy. A lot of us spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on LEGO (I know I'm upward of 3k this year and many of you spend more than that!) each year and we're lucky to be able to do so. There are lots of families in your communities that struggle to make Christmas special for their children, and simply can't afford such an expensive toy. If you have the means, think about making some purchases you want and donating them to local charity. I know my town has a (sadly) well-populated women's shelter and the families there have nothing.

I'm sure most of you already do this, but I felt kind of gross posting such a consumerist list without a little bit of introspection. Back to our regularly-scheduled program!

Fowler

I basically only built three 2014 sets this year; there were a few other random ones here and there, but these three were strong enough anyway. So...

1) Ghostbusters

1392561208317.jpg

My favourite movie combined with my favourite toy in a well-built set that accurately captures all the details and is fun to build and solid enough to play with (y’know, if you were in to that or anything)… oh, and it’s designed by a fellow GAFfer? How could anything else be #1?

2) Mos Eisley Cantina

Starwars20143.jpg

Pedestrian build and a fairly small model… but it makes up for it. For starters, the minifigs are great, including awesome sandtroopers and a dewback. And, I mean: IT’S THE CANTINA FROM STAR WARS. Awesome iconic location that’s such a wonderful place to keep all my random Star Wars minifigs.

3) AT-AT

Starwars20144.jpg

Fun build and an awesome-looking model. What a great looking display piece. Glad Zerojul and PalaceBrother gave this a shout-out! I genuinely thought I'd be the only one.

HONOURABLE MENTION: Metalbeard's Duel

Metalbeard.jpg

I’m not sure if this counts as a set or a “minifig”, but Metalbeard is a pretty damn cool design. Sums up the mad brilliance of the LEGO Movie sets for me.

BEST MINIFIGS

1) Bith

Star-wars-2014-minifigs-17.jpg

You can probably tell I’m a Star Wars nut. This minifig in a sense represents the best of Star Wars; the vast galaxy of random characters that appear for an instant but are forever memorable… and perfectly re-created in LEGO form.

2) Lord Business

Lord_Business_physical.jpg

I guess this is cheating a little because I’m talking about the big Lord Business with massive boots and the coffee cup helmet. What an awesome, obvious-yet-original design. And the cape looking like a tie? Genius.

3) Star-Lord

STAR-LORD.jpg

This one’s pretty simple: Great character, great LEGO likeness. Bonus that Star-Lord looks just right with the mask on and off too.

4) Gamer

Video_Game_Guy_Series_12_LEGO_Minifigures.jpg

Pizza Guy is cool, but this was the real highlight for me because of that controller accessory!

5) Revan

LEGO_Revan.png

Knights of the Old Republic is my favourite ever Star Wars game and it was just wiped from canon… so it was a massive surprise to see a Revan minifig, but a welcome one. (Seriously, GO PLAY KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC.)

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice to see some SW representation.

2014 AT-AT is the best version LEGO has done, and I love both this year's Yoda Chronicles ship and the previous one. They are some really excellent ships.

I'm a proud owner of all of the Old Republic sets and minfigs LEGO has done, Reven ia the standout for sure. And if you've seen the concept art for the Ep7 villain... he has some very Revan qualities to him which makes his minifigure and even more relevant addition to the line.

Shop@home question: did the winter set 2 of 2 promo get extended? i was just toying around with adding stuff to my cart and it still shows up, even after clearing my cart and starting over... not that I'm ordering anything, i mean holy hell Jan 1st is going to kill me.

Ok, here's my top 5 for 2014.
Mind you, it's my first year out of the dark age so I may have a slightly different point of view on things.
I didn't have the time to build everything I got in 2014. I went from 0 to 245 sets and 963 minifigs in just this one year, and I had to build some pre-2014 stuff too.
I don't think I have enough experience with Lego to tell what sets are absolutely "the best". But I can list what I enjoyed the most.

Seems like we're in the same boat. I got back into the game 3 or 4 years ago and have slowly been growing my collection but this year was the year it blew up for me.

I'm not where near as "experienced" as most of the Lego fans in here. With limited access to sets due to availability and price, I make do enjoying what I can get.

This year was the best year for Lego for me, I was able to catch up on some older sets I wanted. Palace Cinema, Town Hall, the Falcon. But with the inclusion of the best movie of 2014 - The Lego Movie, this hobby really blew up.

My top 5 is:

1. Imperial Star Destroyer

One of my favourite Star Wars ships. This was a great set that looks amazing on display. It comes with 6 minifigs, a mouser droid and a cute little Palpie hologram. My friends all pooled their money together to get this for my 30th birthday this year. Great surprise for me.

75055-1.jpg

2. The Milano Spaceship Rescue

When I first saw this set, I was interested. As soon as I saw the movie, I knew I needed it in my collection. This didn't let me down, it was a fun build, really great figs and it doesn't look out of place surrounded by my Star Wars vechiles.

76021-1.jpg

3. Ghostbusters Ecto-1

I would have bought this set regardless, but with the added extra excitement of it being a fellow Aussie Gaffer that made it, it was day 1. It's a great set and my favourite Ideas set.

21108-1.jpg

4. Batman: Defend the Batcave

My son absolutely loves this set (he's 4 this month) and I couldn't post this without mentioning it. Great theme, great figures and a great introduction to Lego.

10672-1.jpg

5. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (This may have come out in 2013, I'm not sure.)

I know this isn't a set, but I loved this game so much. It might even be my favourite Lego game now, even above the OT Star Wars game.

5002797-1.jpg

Honourable mentions:

AT-AT
Snowspeeder
Avengers: Captain America vs. Hydra
Batman: The Riddler Chase
Ice Cream Machine
Mobile Police Unit

Best Theme:

img160x210_StarWars.png

This is an easy one for me, I love Star Wars and this was the first year since getting back into the game when there were heaps of OT Star Wars sets that interested me. AT-AT, ISD, Snowspeeder etc.

Runner up would have been The Lego Movie.

Best Minifigure:

It's a tie for me.

71007-2.jpg

This guy is just perfect. He fits nicely into my TMNT moc ideas too.

The_Flash_2014_76012.png

The Flash! My son and I love this little guy. I'm not even a huge DC fan, there is just something about this fig.

Best promo:

40108-1.jpg

Love this little set.

Biggest disappointment:

Microfighters. I just didn't get them. I really enjoyed the micro builds with the planets and they replaced them with these. :(

75030-millennium-falcon-600x314.jpg

KemoSabe

Im on the edge of whether i should buy the simpsons house...
But 200€ seems very pricey.

Do we have some info on when it will be oop?

I reckon a new thread is a good idea. Especially if there are different categories.

We could have best sets from each theme, for example.

I didn't realize Revan is going for so much on eBay. On another note, went to check local Target and they still don't have any of the free Mini-figures set. I was checking out Chima (which I haven't been paying attention to at all this year) and the theme really have a lot of nice vehicles with animal motifs. Some have a bit too much pointy bits but overall they are pretty nice.

ruxtpin

Banned
All this talk of mini figs, I went to eBay and Bricklink. I could fund some larger sets by selling off some of the stuff I have. Sealed Hulks, Elronds, Martian Manhunter, Revans, TC-14s... Not that I've been trying to speculate, I just have no space and buy stuff thinking I'll have the space to build and display after buying a house next year.

Yeah, I have often bought sets without regarding how little space I have for them. I am scaling back the collection for that reason...

Doubt it lasts long!

All this talk of mini figs, I went to eBay and Bricklink. I could fund some larger sets by selling off some of the stuff I have. Sealed Hulks, Elronds, Martian Manhunter, Revans, TC-14s... Not that I've been trying to speculate, I just have no space and buy stuff thinking I'll have the space to build and display after buying a house next year.

Nothing wrong with speculating to sell as long as it's not extreme. It's when resellers/speculators buys everything they can get their hands on to the point where general buyers can't get their hands on exclusive items or great clearance sales.

I can't believe the Deadpool minifig goes for around $30 new. I speculated on that set and bought a few of them when they were on sale (~ 20% off).

melike75

Neo Member
Thanks for the replies guys, i think after the winter village stuff I'll have to get stuck into the Parisian restaurant. That has been taunting me since it was announced and i cannot resist it any longer!

Oh and i want to quote that palpatine just to keep the chain going! That was a scary thing back there with the multiple emperors happenning at once! :)

Well, the SW advent calendar taught me something new today. Apparently this is a part:

30229.jpg

Weird.

Looks like it's been in quite a few sets recently, many of them SW ones I've not been interested in.

In other news I have officially sorted & stored every one of my plates & tiles. This has taken a few months of sorting. I need one more cabinet and I'll be able to finish up with the bricks. Currently have 3 of these hung and with 4 I should be able to finish:
LnePURn.png

Feels good to declutter. I don't have nearly the volume of a lot of you (Brickset has me at 68,000 pieces) but I did have about 6 of these completely overflowing with disassembled sets. So many tiny parts. Now that it's sorted I'm a lot more comfortable disassembling many of the sets I have on display to clean up the mess. My LEGO room was starting to look a little like it belonged to a hoarder.

home_depot_martha_stewart_fabric_drawer_organizing_storage_kevin_sharkey.jpg

I still have four of these filled with what are officially referred to as "bullshit" pieces. One or two-offs that I'll never really have a need to reuse.

705919_4.jpg

Bullshit examples:
ms3guaOqAnsoH0jC45XIRaA.jpg

11267.jpg

etc. etc.

Edit:
yoqeVo4.gif

Still conflicted whether to finally buy High Speed Chase (currently on sale 30% off) to build that CC exlusive 66 Batmobile or not..

ANYONE here built it and how do they like it? I think from the pics it looks pretty good but not amazing hmm...

Ponn

Banned
Should I put up my tree or build Santa's Workshop first? I guess having the tree up would provide a better setting right?

Still conflicted whether to finally buy High Speed Chase (currently on sale 30% off) to build that CC exlusive 66 Batmobile or not..

ANYONE here built it and how do they like it? I think from the pics it looks pretty good but not amazing hmm...

Leave it in its box and build it out of spare parts. Alternatively, trade it with me for the spare parts. I'll even include a brick separator!

Ponn

Banned
what is wrong with amazon warehouse deals o_O it seems broken you can't browse the listings now

It's been f'ed up all week. I had to get there by going straight from the bottom of the home page and re-finding Lego listings under toys and games. It won't show up in grid view for me though.

AWD link

Hasn't been much, they still have that $321 Robie House

Ryuuroden

Orthanc is starting to skyrocket in height. I am up above 6 feet now when all the different levels I have built are incorporated and I feel I still have at least 2 more floors plus the 4 pinnacles to build. I think I have the build process I want to go with for the rest of the tower, mirroring more how I started the tower, using curved bricks on their side. They give the best image of a gradually tapering tower. Over the last few weeks I have had a huge influx of new 1 by ? black bricks of varying sizes and may be set for the rest of the build. It may just be modified bricks from now on that I may have to pick up.

Here's some random parts with the number used in my Orthanc tower as of now (numbers are actually pretty accurate since I keep good track on rebrickable of what is going into the tower and all my bricklink orders):

300526.jpg
: 1000 +/- 20

4144539.jpg
: 155

235726.jpg
: 600 +/- 40

1300+ 1x2 Black Bricks
600+ 1x3 Black Bricks
1700+ 1x4 Black Bricks
300+ 1x6 Black Bricks
170 1x10 Black Bricks
33 1x12 Black Bricks

4153418.jpg
: 200+ and counting

6037664.jpg
: 460 so far

4159140.jpg
: 184 so far

4512727.jpg
: 136 so far

287726.jpg
: 440+

4558954.jpg
: 240+

292126.jpg
: 1000+

6039347.jpg
: 538 and counting

4584274.jpg
: 200+

4189116.jpg
: 100+

4513539.jpg
: 46

302326.jpg
: 1800+

600+ 1x1 Black Plate
200+ 1x3 Black Plate
800+ 1x4 Black Plate
600+ 1x6 Black Plate
460+ 1x8 Black Plate
120+ 1x10 Black Plate
40 6x16 Black Plate
20 6x16 Dark Bley Pate
40 6x10 Black Plate
52 6x12 Black Plate
35 6x14 Black Plate

4205347.jpg
: 36

4155558.jpg
: 166

654126.jpg
: 1070

and obviously lots more like slopes and more modified bricks and plates and tiles etc. Just giving you guys an idea.

It's a shame Lone Ranger theme didn't sell exceptionally well. Despite the movie doing poorly, the sets looked great IMO. Even the minifigs for the most part were enough to be generic western minifigs I think we won't be seeing a western theme for a few years at least. I hope I'm wrong.

At least we got more western themed minifigs from both The LEGO Movie theme and CMFs. The LEGO Movie theme sets also have some western builds in them too.

15258822123_5676c47917_h.jpg

Jonarado by Brick Vader, on Flickr

Orthanc is starting to skyrocket in height. I am up above 6 feet now when all the different levels I have built are incorporated and I feel I still have at least 2 more floors plus the 4 pinnacles to build. I think I have the build process I want to go with for the rest of the tower, mirroring more how I started the tower, using curved bricks on their side. They give the best image of a gradually tapering tower. Over the last few weeks I have had a huge influx of new 1 by ? black bricks of varying sizes and may be set for the rest of the build. It may just be modified bricks from now on that I may have to pick up.

Here's some random parts with the number used in my Orthanc tower as of now (numbers are actually pretty accurate since I keep good track on rebrickable of what is going into the tower and all my bricklink orders):

[list of insane quantity of LEGO elements deleted]

and obviously lots more like slopes and more modified bricks and plates and tiles etc. Just giving you guys an idea.

That's an insane number of LEGOs!!! I'm using the term LEGOs because that is crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom