• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

lol this ridiculous pile of backlog sets in my closet, I started breaking into it this weekend and really realized how much I have to build. I had nearly eliminated it at the beginning of the summer but then I started Orthanc and now the backlog is huge. I was down to 3 sets, now there are 30+ including Tumbler and UCS X Wing

neonglow

The toy and grocery set looks like I'd have had a blast with it as a kid, so many places to play with and little things everywhere. It's like one of the better castle sets, only in a city setting.

Wouldn't buy it now, but from a kid's perspective, I like it a ton. And people tend to forget Lego is for kids, too :p

What's the yellow transparent round 1x1 piece with the silver "cap" supposed to be?

It looks like a plastic water bottle.

kendrid

Banned
Um, yeah....

http://lego.gizmodo.com/yes-you-can...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

yciuwe3pkxpnt7390pua.jpg

So tomorrow I'll have the opportunity to go into a Lego store in Atlanta :O So excited. I've got a budget though so hopefully I won't go too crazy. ;w;

ruxtpin

Banned
So tomorrow I'll have the opportunity to go into a Lego store in Atlanta :O So excited. I've got a budget though so hopefully I won't go too crazy. ;w;

Oh which one? I am right between both the Sugar Loaf Mills and North Point mall. Sugar Loaf has a bigger store, but the North Point one is in a much nicer mall.

Because of this budget of yours the new store isn't gonna hit their numbers and they'll close and it's gonna be YOUR fault! I hope you're proud man.

Oh which one? I am right between both the Sugar Loaf Mills and North Point mall. Sugar Loaf has a bigger store, but the North Point one is in a much nicer mall.

I'm not sure, my sister and her friend are going to "A mall up in Atlanta, the one with Medieval Times in it." So I'm assuming it's Sugar Loaf.

ruxtpin

Banned
Haha - yeah, that's Sugarloaf. I hit the Lego store and that's about it. It borders on an outlet mall, but you can find some good deals at a few of the stores. I just went there a couple of weeks back for the VIP thing. They get a lot of my money...

Ryuuroden

Haha - yeah, that's Sugarloaf. I hit the Lego store and that's about it. It borders on an outlet mall, but you can find some good deals at a few of the stores. I just went there a couple of weeks back for the VIP thing. They get a lot of my money...

Need more stores in Ohio, 3 isn't enough, they need to put one in Dayton >.> then I would have 4 relatively close to me, oh yeah and one in west Pittsburgh because I am always there for work. Although with all the PAB walls going pretty standard now, not such a big deal having multiple options :/ At least the one that is closest to me is only a 20-30 minutes drive, just the opposite side of the city.

ruxtpin

Banned
funny enough, Ohio is where I am now for work (Lima to be exact). Not much around. They got all these kewpee burger joints with trolls on top.

Ponn

Banned
My sister has and loves birds and i'm going to get her the Rainforest Animals set for Christmas. Has anyone seen it any stores yet or is it only available at S@H right now?

Good lord, Santa's Workshop 10245 won't be restocked until February 2015! I ordered mine last Friday and it's back ordered too. My order says "Waiting for New Stock".

I might have to call the Santa Clara store...

Edit: Nope. They're sold out too.

Ravek

Banned
Good lord, Santa's Workshop 10245 won't be restocked until February 2015! I ordered mine last Friday and it's back ordered too. My order says "Waiting for New Stock".

The FEB 15 date is the latest it'll be restocked. I would bet you'd get it in early Jan.

Also, the closest LEGO store to me is over three hours away, damn near D.C.. I need one MUCH closer.

Rootbeer

Banned
My sister has and loves birds and i'm going to get her the Rainforest Animals set for Christmas. Has anyone seen it any stores yet or is it only available at S@H right now?

Yeah, I picked this set up (along with the new creator dragon) at TRU for retail price.

I think it was last Tuesday. They had lots of them. The dragons, however, were nearly sold out. They had about 4 of them, but the rainforest creatures they had probably 18 or 20 of them.

Oh, my $30 1600 piece set from walmart came... what a tremendous deal that was! to reach the free shipping theshhold I added the walmart exclusive BARC Speeder with Sidecar set. Now I finally have a Commander Rex minifig! Easily the BEST of the clone troopers.

The FEB 15 date is the latest it'll be restocked. I would bet you'd get it in early Jan.

Also, the closest LEGO store to me is over three hours away, damn near D.C.. I need one MUCH closer.

Guess I'll tuck it away for next Christmas. At least I have a sealed Winter Village Cottage to build for the Holidays along with all four 2013/14 holiday bonus sets.

My local store has been wiped clean. The demand for Santa's Workshop is high. I can imagine that one doing 3 years instead of the usual 2 years. They have a bunch of the Winter Village Market ones. My fingers are crossed those go to 20% off after XMas.

Ryuuroden

My local store has been wiped clean. The demand for Santa's Workshop is high. I can imagine that one doing 3 years instead of the usual 2 years. They have a bunch of the Winter Village Market ones. My fingers are crossed those go to 20% off after XMas.

Santa's workshop is nice, I am glad I ordered it on double points early black friday.

Oh, my $30 1600 piece set from walmart came... what a tremendous deal that was! to reach the free shipping theshhold I added the walmart exclusive BARC Speeder with Sidecar set. Now I finally have a Commander Rex minifig! Easily the BEST of the clone troopers.

I got that set (and the Walmart deal too actually!) last week specifically for Rex. Really glad I did as it will likely go OOP soon.

I saw several at Toys R Us (Portland, OR) the other day. They also have Red Creature and all the newer small 3 in 1 Creator set.

I am on vacation this week so get a chance to work on my backlog and first set is AT-AT that couple people rave about. I was not too excited about it because I felt it's just too small and the body seems a bit off but the build so far is awesome. This thing really need a UCS treatment.

erYCVe5l.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Thanks guys, I will check my local TRU on tuesday when i'm out. I just hate to pay shipping to get it from S@H because i can't spend that extra right now to hit $75. As long as there is no TRU markup then that will work.

Thanks guys, I will check my local TRU on tuesday when i'm out. I just hate to pay shipping to get it from S@H because i can't spend that extra right now to hit $75. As long as there is no TRU markup then that will work.

It's $14.99 at my TRU not sure if that is the MSRP. I do notice that TRU keep price the same as MSRP often time when the set first come out.

They also have tons of both Rocket and Ninjago brown ninja poly.

Ravek

Banned
76005 Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown
Recently got this set on sale at TRU for $35! I was never going to buy it at the MSRP of $50, and I think TRU originally had it at $54 or higher...

Regardless: This set isn't too bad. Besides the very bland/horrible Spider-Man minifig, you get awesome Dr. Doom, J. Jonah Jameson and Nova, along with a pretty good Beetle.

Its a playset all the way. I know most of LegoGAF doesn't prefer these, but I love them all the same. If you were going to buy this as a pure parts pack that cane with five
four good
minifigs you wouldn't be disappointed....but only if you bought it at $35. And higher and it would be disappointing purchase.

melike75

Neo Member
So I just grabbed the micro millenium falcon and was pleasantly suprised on how solid and sturdy and just how downright awesome it is! I'm definitely interested in micro/chibi/mini builds now...I just wish we got polybags in Australia.

On another note my wife and I are currently going through all our Lego and;
1) Building our sets
2) Sorting our kids Lego that theyve accumulated over the last 10 years.

Its a bit of an epic but my wife has mostly sorted all the kids Lego and is now going through sets to try and match the pieces to the right instructions but we're having a ton of pieces left over. We're not too big on MOC's and she really wants to try and find the pieces for the sets we have.

She sorted colour first (i know guys, but she's the one doing all the work) so for example shes sorted out all the black and has gone through all the instructions finding all the relevant pieces but theres still a ton of black left! Sure some of it will just be from random Lego bins but how do we find out what the rest is from?

Look for rare pieces and then look them up to find out which sets they belong to? Or should i sift through the 1000's of Lego sets to find sets we've forgotten about or something?

Any suggestions?

+1
I can understand Perth not having one but Sydney or somewhere surely! Not that that would help me though.

Sigh.
Hi there fellow Perth Lego person! *High 5* Would having a Sydney store help local stock though? I'd hope so. It's a bit of a bummer to find links to cool sets, but then they're not available from the Australian online store.

Just spent a couple of hours building the helicopter as part of the whole truck, semi-trailer, and helicopter set. Took longer than expected, but it was pretty fun watching the whole thing take shape. It might be a few more evenings before I have a chance to finish the whole thing. :/

LaNaranja

My brother has been enjoying the Star Wars Rebels show so I was thinking about picking him up the The Ghost (75053) and The Phantom (75048). Has anyone here picked those up, and if so what did you think of them? Also it seems kind of bullshit that they left out lady Boba Fett in these two sets instead including a fucking Storm Trooper. :/

My brother has been enjoying the Star Wars Rebels show so I was thinking about picking him up the The Ghost (75053) and The Phantom (75048). Has anyone here picked those up, and if so what did you think of them? Also it seems kind of bullshit that they left out lady Boba Fett in these two sets instead including a fucking Storm Trooper. :/

I own both and they're great! Fun builds and the completed, and combined, sets have a lot of playability. Not to mention Swooshability!

Ponn

Banned
It's $14.99 at my TRU not sure if that is the MSRP. I do notice that TRU keep price the same as MSRP often time when the set first come out.

They also have tons of both Rocket and Ninjago brown ninja poly.

I got my Rocket couple weeks ago. And yea I can't believe the crapshoot of their markups. Some were normal MSRP then I see something like a superhero set marked up by $15 and i'm like "whhhhhhhhat is this shit"

76005 Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown
Recently got this set on sale at TRU for $35! I was never going to buy it at the MSRP of $50, and I think TRU originally had it at $54 or higher...

Regardless: This set isn't too bad. Besides the very bland/horrible Spider-Man minifig, you get awesome Dr. Doom, J. Jonah Jameson and Nova, along with a pretty good Beetle.

Its a playset all the way. I know most of LegoGAF doesn't prefer these, but I love them all the same. If you were going to buy this as a pure parts pack that cane with five
four good
minifigs you wouldn't be disappointed....but only if you bought it at $35. And higher and it would be disappointing purchase.

Some people here (I think Phon was one) got me to get it because of the figs but you know I still have it assembled because it actually looks good on display for a superhero scene. I combined it with some other loose buildings like the bank from the Two Face chase and have a nice little superhero scene going on. Since just about every superhero set is a vehicle having a building thats nice for a backdrop is a rarity.

It will be taken down come March though to make room, oh yes room will be made, muhahahahaha.

Ryuuroden

If you are still planning on getting Jabba's Sail Barge, its 85 dollars on Amazon (28% off), the set is OOP so the prices will go up when it sells out. Same goes for the AT-TE and several others that have gone OOP and are sold out now on Lego S@H. Many are still available on amazon for reduced prices but will probably vanish pretty soon, or go up in price as third party sellers buy them out and repost them.

EDIT: Starting to look like the Death Star is going to make it through yet another year. Honestly, it is kind of amazing. I finally got it last year and the set was already visibly showing its age when I built it (as in it totally looked like an older star wars set in style, design, etc). That said, I still consider it a must have for any Star Wars fan so to see it still out there is great. I think that because of the fact all the pieces in it are probably restocked fairly often for other sets that that may be the reason it has lasted so long. It is part of the reason modulars stick around for so long although I think they finally needed to trim their offerings which is why we saw 3 sets go OOP this year with the possibility of a forth first during the first half of next year. Maybe they will keep the Death Star around till a new version of UCS Millennium Falcon comes out. My other guess to why the Death Star sticks around is from chatting with store employees they tell me how little kids literally save up for years to buy that set and there's constantly new generations of kids who want the set as a playset. It definitely has a much broader audience then display sets like the original UCS Falcon and SSD

AT-AT while is a little small, it is indeed as awesome as fellow Gaffers said. I am really surprise how solid the whole thing feel. I was thinking the walker would be flimsy and wobbly but you can do all kind of poses with this thing. The assortment of mini-figures is also wonderful, I was surprise that they include Snowtrooper Commander. Also I love General Veer figure. Now I feel like I should get three more to make a complete platoon suitable for Hoth invasion.

5YM2XMJl.jpg

YRzzoYwl.jpg

So my wife said something to me the other day while I was struggling to complete the Death Star (this turn out to be a year long project, as it was difficult to find time this year to build especially for Death Star since it is hard to get to good stopping point so I like to have big chunk of free time dedicate to it). I am sure the Death Star probably will look nice when done but the process of building has become such a dreadful thing for me because the poor instruction and the colors due to my old age. I have to redo so many sections because I have mistaken black for grey or vice-versa. Yeah, getting old suck especially when it comes to reading and looking at small things.

So this is what she said to me "Why don't your sort?"

Do you guys sort when you build any LEGO set? I never do and I probably should especially for big set. So I decided to sort when building the AT-AT (not entirely necessary since it is not a big set) and well she was right. The build is much faster but more importantly is more "fun". Instead of spending time hunting for piece or pieces in the pile, I was able to enjoy the process of building and take the time to appreciate the construction.

Anyway off to sorting the Death Star bricks and may be I will finish it this week during my vacation before flying to California.

I like the ships themselves but I tossed the Stormy cause I really hate his printing.

EDIT: Starting to look like the Death Star is going to make it through yet another year. Honestly, it is kind of amazing. I finally got it last year and the set was already visibly showing its age when I built it (as in it totally looked like an older star wars set in style, design, etc). That said, I still consider it a must have for any Star Wars fan so to see it still out there is great. I think that because of the fact all the pieces in it are probably restocked fairly often for other sets that that may be the reason it has lasted so long. It is part of the reason modulars stick around for so long although I think they finally needed to trim their offerings which is why we saw 3 sets go OOP this year with the possibility of a forth first during the first half of next year. Maybe they will keep the Death Star around till a new version of UCS Millennium Falcon comes out. My other guess to why the Death Star sticks around is from chatting with store employees they tell me how little kids literally save up for years to buy that set and there's constantly new generations of kids who want the set as a playset. It definitely has a much broader audience then display sets like the original UCS Falcon and SSD

I remember reading that the retailers are pushing for LEGO to release more set and retire set faster because of they want to constantly have new things on the shelves. I notice set that jump in price more when they are exclusive to LEGO store (or limited availability) like the Arkham set. Most of my local stores still have plenty of Jabba Sail Barge and most of the Episode 2 stuffs though they are definitely thinning out. AT-TE and Republic Gunship are gone from most of the stores around here.

As for Death Star well you see my rant above but I also agree with you that the model is getting really dated. I don't build as much as you guys here and I can feel how dated the Death Star is while I am building it. I think the reason Death Star is great display piece because the size, while it is "big" it doesn't have big footprint like the SSD or UCS Falcon.

mrkgoo

Been a while since I participated in a Lego thread, but I finally picked up the set I've been wanting since it came out, Aviation Adventures!

What a fantastic set.

WcakGD6.jpg

Picked up this set super cheap on clearance at Target.

I also netted a 20% off your entire order coupon to use next week.

Going to have them price match Benny's Spareship from Wal*Mart for 80, and then take the 20% off of that.

Ryuuroden

Ugh, this sucks, none of my important bricklink orders are going to make it and I ordered all this stuff back before Thanksgiving. I have never had such shitty service from so many vendors at the same time. I was hoping to get a bunch of Orthanc work done this week but have been pretty much stuck since Thursday. The rest of December is booked for me work wise so I will not have hardly any time to work on it for the rest of the year. so mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom