• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1
I can understand Perth not having one but Sydney or somewhere surely! Not that that would help me though.

Sigh.

Hi there fellow Perth Lego person! *High 5* Would having a Sydney store help local stock though? I'd hope so. It's a bit of a bummer to find links to cool sets, but then they're not available from the Australian online store.

Having a store in Melbourne or Sydney would be fantastic. While it doesn't help me out directly, it would make my 1 trip a year to Melbourne more important. :)

WcakGD6.jpg

Picked up this set super cheap on clearance at Target.

I also netted a 20% off your entire order coupon to use next week.

Going to have them price match Benny's Spareship from Wal*Mart for 80, and then take the 20% off of that.

What a deal! I really like that set. It is terrific.

76005 Spider-Man: Daily Bugle Showdown
Recently got this set on sale at TRU for $35! I was never going to buy it at the MSRP of $50, and I think TRU originally had it at $54 or higher...

Regardless: This set isn't too bad. Besides the very bland/horrible Spider-Man minifig, you get awesome Dr. Doom, J. Jonah Jameson and Nova, along with a pretty good Beetle.

Its a playset all the way. I know most of LegoGAF doesn't prefer these, but I love them all the same. If you were going to buy this as a pure parts pack that cane with five
four good
minifigs you wouldn't be disappointed....but only if you bought it at $35. And higher and it would be disappointing purchase.

I like the Spider-man minifig. It's just that that is the Marvel equivalent of Batman so you end up with a dozen of them. At least with Batman, they change up the print and colors.
I don't mind playsets. Some of them make decent backdrops like the Hulk Lab Smash set (great playset). I have Daily Bugle, but it's in the backlog. Buy 2-3 of them and you can make a decent building. :)

You are right, thanks! That's one of the few I don't have and totally forgot a Mandalorian was included.

Hmm....unique print...tempting.

It's not too pricey on Bricklink. Between $5 and $6. However, you can get the set at a decent price on sale so it's better to get the set on sale if you want a Clone Trooper and like the parts of the tank.

I think that's actually supposed to be Jango Fett lol.

Yep. Definitely Jango Fett.

AT-AT while is a little small, it is indeed as awesome as fellow Gaffers said. I am really surprise how solid the whole thing feel. I was thinking the walker would be flimsy and wobbly but you can do all kind of poses with this thing. The assortment of mini-figures is also wonderful, I was surprise that they include Snowtrooper Commander. Also I love General Veer figure. Now I feel like I should get three more to make a complete platoon suitable for Hoth invasion.

5YM2XMJl.jpg

YRzzoYwl.jpg

So my wife said something to me the other day while I was struggling to complete the Death Star (this turn out to be a year long project, as it was difficult to find time this year to build especially for Death Star since it is hard to get to good stopping point so I like to have big chunk of free time dedicate to it). I am sure the Death Star probably will look nice when done but the process of building has become such a dreadful thing for me because the poor instruction and the colors due to my old age. I have to redo so many sections because I have mistaken black for grey or vice-versa. Yeah, getting old suck especially when it comes to reading and looking at small things.

So this is what she said to me "Why don't your sort?"

Do you guys sort when you build any LEGO set? I never do and I probably should especially for big set. So I decided to sort when building the AT-AT (not entirely necessary since it is not a big set) and well she was right. The build is much faster but more importantly is more "fun". Instead of spending time hunting for piece or pieces in the pile, I was able to enjoy the process of building and take the time to appreciate the construction.

Anyway off to sorting the Death Star bricks and may be I will finish it this week during my vacation before flying to California.

Yes, I feel like I should get 2-3 of the AT-ATs. I only feel the need for 1 Star Destroyer.

I don't sort when building a set. I don't mix bags either.

Ravek

Banned
I like the Spider-man minifig. It's just that that is the Marvel equivalent of Batman so you end up with a dozen of them. At least with Batman, they change up the print and colors.
I don't mind playsets. Some of them make decent backdrops like the Hulk Lab Smash set (great playset). I have Daily Bugle, but it's in the backlog. Buy 2-3 of them and you can make a decent building.

I truly hate the Spidey minifig. Its so plain and...wrong. Additionally, i also think that if you bought two or three of the same set, you could build one awesome looking Daily Bugle building.
Sacrilegious!

So glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

How dare you bring such shame to the name of Vader. Throwing out minifigs is against the rules but throwing out Star Wars minifigs is punishable by whipping.

Oh you guys are so funny. I didn't throw it away, I put him in my display of shame :p. I mean I already have my perfect Stormies from the new Star Destroyer, I don't need one with a long face to bring down the jolly mood of the other guys.

melike75

Neo Member
Hi there fellow Perth Lego person! *High 5* Would having a Sydney store help local stock though? I'd hope so. It's a bit of a bummer to find links to cool sets, but then they're not available from the Australian online store.

Awesome! There's at least two of us then! :)
Yeah I would have to figure having a Lego store in Australia somewhere would definitely have to bolster local stock supplies and the general presence of Lego over here. Not that it's presence isn't quite huge already. Really baffled why we don't have one.

melike75

Neo Member
WcakGD6.jpg

Picked up this set super cheap on clearance at Target.

I also netted a 20% off your entire order coupon to use next week.

Going to have them price match Benny's Spareship from Wal*Mart for 80, and then take the 20% off of that.

Wha..! 20$ IS the super cheap price for this over here. Trying not to get too jealous about your crazy discounts. Best we can hope for is 20% and when the sets can be 20-50% above us rrp in the first place....

Sigh.

Edit: also regarding the spidey minifig? I don't get why we are getting awesome prints on legs for seemingly everything yet the superhero characters just have one colour legs still. At least give them another colour to represent the boots guys, come on! It would make them look so much better. Give spidey some red ill boots down there and I'd be much happier.. (Obviously I need to read up how to multi-quote)

Ponn

Banned
I mean we know its probably cheaper to just keep re-using the same spider-man print but there really isnt a good excuse why they cant occasionally put a variant in like the Batman figs. I mean there is Superior Spider-Man, Ben Reilly, Scarlet Spider, Symbiote Suit, Iron Spidey, etc.

Wha..! 20$ IS the super cheap price for this over here. Trying not to get too jealous about your crazy discounts. Best we can hope for is 20% and when the sets can be 20-50% above us rrp in the first place....

Sigh.

Edit: also regarding the spidey minifig? I don't get why we are getting awesome prints on legs for seemingly everything yet the superhero characters just have one colour legs still. At least give them another colour to represent the boots guys, come on! It would make them look so much better. Give spidey some red ill boots down there and I'd be much happier.. (Obviously I need to read up how to multi-quote)

Target also had this set
9200000021797690.jpg
for 12 bucks

I mean we know its probably cheaper to just keep re-using the same spider-man print but there really isnt a good excuse why they cant occasionally put a variant in like the Batman figs. I mean there is Superior Spider-Man, Ben Reilly, Scarlet Spider, Symbiote Suit, Iron Spidey, etc.

Iron Spider would be awesome and probably exclusive to Comic Con >:

Trying to build a maxifigure really makes me appreciate how rock solid Lego makes their big posable figures. Mine is constantly breaking apart at the waist. I need to come up with something clever to hold it together...

Ravek

Banned
Iron Spider would be awesome and probably exclusive to Comic Con >:

Great. Now TLG has an idea for SDCC15. Jerk.
jk

Seriously though: If Spider-Man is such a cash cow merchandise wise for Marvel/Disney, why would they stick with just one plain, vanilla suit? Like others have said, he is the Batman for Marvel as far as having a million different suit variations.

Great. Now TLG has an idea for SDCC15. Jerk.
jk

Seriously though: If Spider-Man is such a cash cow merchandise wise for Marvel/Disney, why would they stick with just one plain, vanilla suit? Like others have said, he is the Batman for Marvel as far as having a million different suit variations.
Better him than ultra-fig scale Galactus.

So Sugarloaf mall ended up being a fun experience, only got one Lego thing, a set of 3 minifigs modeled after my sister, her friend, and myself x3 Spent more on a Starlord/Rocket Raccoon "Life sized" cardboard standee than anything else, but it was worth it. :D

LaNaranja

A TRU ad said that they were giving out the Rocket Raccoon with baby Groot for free with any purchase of $30 or more December 5th and 6th only. I called ahead of time and asked if there were any in stock and was told yes. So I went and grabbed the two Star Wars Rebels sets and ask the cashier for the figure. He says they do have it but that the current promotion is for a free Lego Ninjago. We go back and forth for a while and he says there is nothing he can do. I was about to leave but I decided to try a different register. The dude says the same thing about it not being in the system. I ended up just asking him if he could sell it to me and he said sure. Like 20 minutes after first arriving at the store I finally was able to just pay $5 for the figure and just left the damn Star Wars sets. I'll go pick them up at the Lego store next week.

Ponn

Banned
A TRU ad said that they were giving out the Rocket Raccoon with baby Groot for free with any purchase of $30 or more December 5th and 6th only. I called ahead of time and asked if there were any in stock and was told yes. So I went and grabbed the two Star Wars Rebels sets and ask the cashier for the figure. He says they do have it but that the current promotion is for a free Lego Ninjago. We go back and forth for a while and he says there is nothing he can do. I was about to leave but I decided to try a different register. The dude says the same thing about it not being in the system. I ended up just asking him if he could sell it to me and he said sure. Like 20 minutes after first arriving at the store I finally was able to just pay $5 for the figure and just left the damn Star Wars sets. I'll go pick them up at the Lego store next week.

That's hilarious. They didn't want to sell them to me a couple weeks ago because they were sure they were for a promotion but couldn't find anything about it so reluctantly sold me a couple. You go when they actually have the promotion they were meant for and say there isn't a promotion but will sell them to you. Get your shit together TRU, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep track of your own damn promotions.

Finally finishing Santa's Workshop. Just built the big candy canes. Clever and simple. Much simpler than how I did it with bendy tubes last year in my MOC. I shall be stealing this method.

ghostmind

lnvfCTR.png

It was a dark time for LEGO, as a once-mighty theme lay beaten and broken on the battlefield. All hope looked lost, but then a lone figure emerged to reclaim his throne, and return his kingdom to its former glory...

uF3xCQF.png

PP5ub4M.jpg

5. 76021 The Milano Spaceship Rescue
designed by Marcos Bessa

From the number one movie of the year comes the best LEGO spaceship of the year. Marcos Bessa, the designer of the awesome 6869 Quinjet Aerial Battle, follows up with another amazing model, with adjustable geometry wings and a surprisingly roomy interior.

KQOdgxt.jpg

4. 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
designed by ???

This set surprised me. Anticipating the 2nd wave of LEGO Movie sets, I was expecting the SPACESHIPx3 to be my far-and-away frontrunner favorite. But it was the Dropship design, an aggressive vehicle suitable for a post-apocalyptic police state, that won me over. This set also has the rare mix of flesh-tone and yellow minifigures in the same box. Now if only I knew who the designer was...

iVRiFsT.jpg

3. 75059 UCS Sandcrawler
designed by Olav Krøigaard

After emerging from my "dark age" in 2011, I started acquiring both current, and previous sets from my favorite universe - Star Wars. I had eyed the 10144 Sandcrawler from 2005 for a long time, but I held off in the hopes that a new version would be made. I was overjoyed then, when the UCS Sandcrawler was announced, with over 3,000 pieces and a great selection of minifigs. The Sandcrawler is one of my favorite sets for this year, but it could have been number one, if not for a few faults that held it back.

zdv1C8o.jpg

2. 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow
designed by Michael Fuller, Jordan Scott, Christopher Stamp

This set is all about impact. It blew me away as soon as I saw it, and that feeling did not stop during the build, nor afterwards when I look at it now on the shelf. This set was pure fun to build, and captured a great mix of naval vessel meets steampunk. It's one of the most unique sets I have ever built from LEGO, and it will be a memorable set for years to come.

DnLHQJu.jpg

1. 10243 Parisian Restaurant
designed by Jamie Berard

The king has returned, and long may he reign! After two consecutive modulars that left me cold, I was losing hope that this paramount series may have lost its way. The modular buildings are the most "important" sets that I purchase each year. Something about them is core to my return to the LEGO world as an AFOL. The Parisian Restaurant is the return to glory, with the originator of the modular buildings - Jamie Berard - once again back on the throne. With its refreshing unique design, multiple little architectural touches, and details everywhere, the Parisian Restaurant is my top set for 2014.

inPO9nO.png

bR9fPN0.jpg

QdYXQBf.jpg

oLil4NP.jpg

noncJ99.jpg

7PJ8767.jpg

VtwIZnv.jpg

TWdWIB6.png

YoxRgkW.png

Nothing else came close. The LEGO Movie sets not only have two of my top 5 of this year, but contain a wealth of other sets that touch on a variety of themes in LEGO's history, and with a twist. I cannot wait for the sequel.

WBFHyaE.png

VXrVDQw.jpg

5002145 Rocket Raccoon
No other polybag saved me two hundred dollars this year. Having what I thought was an SDCC exclusive re-appear as a TRU promo was one of the best things to happen with LEGO in 2014.

g8uUvso.png

qPI886p.png

71007 Pizza Delivery Man
This minifig, from CMF 12, has a lot going for it, with a new (more realistic) pizza print, a pizza box, a pizza delivery cap, short sleeves, and a face print with braces.

What has come before...
My Top Sets of 2013
My Top Sets of 2012

lnvfCTR.png

It was a dark time for LEGO, as a once-mighty theme lay beaten and broken on the battlefield. All hope looked lost, but then a lone figure emerged to reclaim his throne, and return his kingdom to its former glory...

uF3xCQF.png

PP5ub4M.jpg

5. 76021 The Milano Spaceship Rescue
designed by Marcos Bessa

From the number one movie of the year comes the best LEGO spaceship of the year. Marcos Bessa, the designer of the awesome 6869 Quinjet Aerial Battle, follows up with another amazing model, with adjustable geometry wings and a surprisingly roomy interior.

KQOdgxt.jpg

4. 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
designed by ???

This set surprised me. Anticipating the 2nd wave of LEGO Movie sets, I was expecting the SPACESHIPx3 to be my far-and-away frontrunner favorite. But it was the Dropship design, an aggressive vehicle suitable for a post-apocalyptic police state, that won me over. This set also has the rare mix of flesh-tone and yellow minifigures in the same box. Now if only I knew who the designer was...

iVRiFsT.jpg

3. 75059 UCS Sandcrawler
designed by Olav Krøigaard

After emerging from my "dark age" in 2011, I started acquiring both current, and previous sets from my favorite universe - Star Wars. I had eyed the 10144 Sandcrawler from 2005 for a long time, but I held off in the hopes that a new version would be made. I was overjoyed then, when the UCS Sandcrawler was announced, with over 3,000 pieces and a great selection of minifigs. The Sandcrawler is one of my favorite sets for this year, but it could have been number one, if not for a few faults that held it back.

zdv1C8o.jpg

2. 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow
designed by Michael Fuller, Jordan Scott, Christopher Stamp

This set is all about impact. It blew me away as soon as I saw it, and that feeling did not stop during the build, nor afterwards when I look at it now on the shelf. This set was pure fun to build, and captured a great mix of naval vessel meets steampunk. It's one of the most unique sets I have ever built from LEGO, and it will be a memorable set for years to come.

DnLHQJu.jpg

1. 10243 Parisian Restaurant
designed by Jamie Berard

The king has returned, and long may he reign! After two consecutive modulars that left me cold, I was losing hope that this important series may have lost its way. The modular buildings are the most "important" sets that I purchase each year. Something about them is core to my return to the LEGO world as an AFOL. The Parisian Restaurant is the return to glory, with the originator of the modular buildings - Jamie Berard - once again back on the throne. With its refreshing unique design, multiple little architectural touches, and details everywhere, the Parisian Restaurant is my top set for 2014.

inPO9nO.png

bR9fPN0.jpg

QdYXQBf.jpg

oLil4NP.jpg

0XT3Lff.jpg

oSRXDUz.jpg

rgnyV65.jpg

TWdWIB6.png

YoxRgkW.png

Nothing else came close. The LEGO Movie sets, not only have two of my top 5 of this year, but contain a wealth of other sets that touch on a variety of themes in LEGO's history, but with a twist. I cannot wait for the sequel.

WBFHyaE.png

8WPl1wJ.jpg

5002145 Rocket Raccoon
No other polybag saved me two hundred dollars this year. Having what I thought was an SDCC exclusive re-appear as a TRU promo was one of the best things to happen with LEGO in 2014.

g8uUvso.png

qPI886p.png

71007 Pizza Delivery Man
This minifig, from CMF 12, has a lot going for it, with a new (more realistic) pizza print, a pizza box, a pizza delivery cap, short sleeves, and a face print with braces.

What has come before...
My Top Sets of 2013
My Top Sets of 2012
Soon, Sandcrawler. Soon.

Also not surprised to see Police Dropship in there. I knew that would be your SPACESHIP! entry. And our top 2 are the same, just with switched positions.

And glad to see more love for Milano. I pray Bessa is doing Quinjet 2.0 to see if he can improve on the biggest surprise of 2012.

Also, I agree about modulars being the most important sets. They are only once a year, so expectations are very high.

And what was your big disappointment of 2014?

ghostmind

Soon, Sandcrawler. Soon.

And glad to see more love for Milano. I pray Bessa is doing Quinjet 2.0 to see if he can improve on the biggest surprise of 2012.

And what was your big disappointment of 2014?

I would have to say the Simpsons House.

It's not bad, but it's not great, and from Bessa+Simpsons I expected great.

Perhaps what held the set back was how rigid the guidelines were for it. Enough information has been shown about the house over the last two or so decades that there wasn't much left for the imagination or improvisation when it came to the design.

Most of the Bessa sets that you and I loved were adapting something from another medium, but there was enough leeway to adapt it to the LEGO medium and still have some uniqueness to it. We know what the outside of a Quinjet should look like, but the joy was in how it all fell together. Ewok Village was just a big smash up of moments and scenes which allowed it to have its own character. But Simpsons' House was something that just had to fit together a certain way, and while there was a challenge to pull that off using LEGO, it might have been too restrictive for the designer to really cut loose and add his own personal touches to it.

Have we actually had a set where Bessa was just let loose and could just create whatever the hell he wanted? I still want to see the Haunted House designer set loose on a modular.

Having said that, I think the best parts of the Simpsons House were how he pulled off the furniture parts like the piano.

Zerojul

Great list ghostmind, as expected !
I didn't get Sandcrawler (yet) but the fact you put it in your top 5 makes me want to snag it sooner rather than later ;-)

I for one rather liked it, but I understand that expectations where very high, and that's why some where rather disappointed even if the set itslef is not bad.
Still, I think it's safe to say that a year when a set like Simpsons House turns out to be one's greatest disappointment was a damn good year all things considered :)

Nitemare1

Ghostbusters is my set of the year. Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 80's or maybe its because everyone who comes in and sees it is immediately drawn to it over just about every other set on the shelf in the rec room. What ever it is, it just catches peoples eye.

ghostmind

Upcoming polybags:

Friends
30202 Smoothie Cart
30203 Mini-Golf
30204 Wish Fountain

Star Wars
30272 A-wing Starfighter
30274 AT-DP

CREATOR
30283 Off-road Vehicle
30285 Tiger