• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
I'd get a couple Elves sets just for the hilarity of a Urak-Hai invasion with Wargs.

"How magical is your bakery now eh?"

I _MUST_ have a few of those elves. Two of the hairpieces are literally perfect for figures I'm building. I also can't help noticing that the gold railing only seems to be one in the bakery. That piece will be stupidly expensive at first, for various Rivendell mocs.

Probably gonna get the treehouse and then a few sets just to stock up on hair. Not sure about the purple one but the others are great.

I also noticed that one of them is just a regular human. I'm guessing that's the idea of the series - a normal girl finds this magic place.

Ravek

Banned
I _MUST_ have a few of those elves. Two of the hairpieces are literally perfect for figures I'm building. I also can't help noticing that the gold railing only seems to be one in the bakery. That piece will be stupidly expensive at first, for various Rivendell mocs.

Probably gonna get the treehouse and then a few sets just to stock up on hair. Not sure about the purple one but the others are great.

I also noticed that one of them is just a regular human. I'm guessing that's the idea of the series - a normal girl finds this magic place.

I noticed the "normal" too. Im betting her name is either Alice or Dorothy or Eve.

Also, there is a sand green railing and new lamp piece in the tree house set.

Ravek

Banned
I thought there was more new pieces in the Elves sets. But I only see the new rail, giant claim ,and new bottom lamp post thing.

New colors for new peices if always fun though. Furthermore, it looks like most of the pieces with something on them are printed. LOOKS being the key word.

This might be my first theme that I buy simply as parts sets.

ghostmind

S&H OOP Update 12/07/14

41008 Heartlake City Pool
41027 Mia's Lemonade Stand
41031 Andrea's Mountain Hut
76000 Artic Batman vs Mr. Freeze: Aquaman on Ice
79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

ghostmind

I'm fairly sure its a May release. Some retailers have listed it for August, but that's due to it being a LEGO direct set - there is usually a delay before those sets hit retail.

FYI: Barnes and Noble stores will be discounting a lot of DUPLO and LEGO stuff 20% tomorrow. It isn't much, but it looks like a lot of 2012 stuff like Hobbit, Monster Fighters, Galaxy Squad, and some Chima. Stock obviously varies store to store, but it is worth looking into for older sets.

Leunam

Anyone know when the LMP1 Technic car is supposed to come out? I wasn't able to find a release date, everything just seems to point to 2015.

With all the love the Milano has been getting here lately, I need to get it sooner than later.
I recall someone stating it was made in limited quantities (I guess that means on the lower end of production numbers).

As a service to everyone, more motivation to act on it sooner than later if you want it. I expect aftermarket prices for that set to be significantly higher than MSRP.

Article pimping the Milano.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/awesome-toy-picks-lego-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the/1100-150624/

PP5ub4M.jpg

ghostmind

Anyone know when the LMP1 Technic car is supposed to come out? I wasn't able to find a release date, everything just seems to point to 2015.

Some shop sites are mentioning January for this set. We should know in the next couple weeks as S@H starts updating.

With all the love the Milano has been getting here lately, I need to get it sooner than later.
I recall someone stating it was made in limited quantities (I guess that means on the lower end of production numbers).

As a service to everyone, more motivation to act on it sooner than later if you want it. I expect aftermarket prices for that set to be significantly higher than MSRP.

Article pimping the Milano.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/awesome-toy-picks-lego-guardians-of-the-galaxy-the/1100-150624/

PP5ub4M.jpg

The more pimping that set gets, the better. And, as a friendly reminder, the blu ray of the film releases on Tuesday.

Those Elves sets are very appealing to me for the parts. I'll try to hold off on those for 20-30% sales though.

S&H OOP Update 12/07/14

41008 Heartlake City Pool
41027 Mia's Lemonade Stand
41031 Andrea's Mountain Hut
76000 Artic Batman vs Mr. Freeze: Aquaman on Ice
79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Andrea's Mountain Hut was a quick one. That just came out Aug 2014 here in the U.S.
Is the appeal low for a "desolate" mountain hut camping adventure?
Mia's Lemonade Stand almost made it for 1 year.

Those Elves sets are very appealing to me for the parts. I'll try to hold off on those for 20-30% sales though.

Andrea's Mountain Hut was a quick one. That just came out Aug 2014 here in the U.S.
Is the appeal low for a "desolate" mountain hut camping adventure?
Mia's Lemonade Stand almost made it for 1 year.

Mia wasn't paying her taxes, so the man had to shut her lemonade stand down.

I fear a UCS Tie Fighter. Just seems like something too plain, that will lack many interesting building parts.

I agree that it will probably be a mighty repetitive build, I don't doubt that it will look really awesome when done. One of those sets where the ends justify the means.

Leunam

Some shop sites are mentioning January for this set. We should know in the next couple weeks as S@H starts updating.

Awesome, thank you. I may end up waiting for that one instead of picking up a nice Technic set here soon. Was looking at one of the construction vehicles.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm not thaaaat excited about a new UCS Tie Fighter, but i really look forward to seeing what they've done with it.

SUPER stoked for Slave I though. Can't wait to instabuy that puppy.

I'm also hoping LEGO gives us an Episode VII Falcon this year. Something that can replace the (now retired?) 7965-1 set, which I own and adore.

Until the inevitable UCS Falcon that is. We are absolutely getting another one eventually. LEGO would be walking away from way too much money not to do so.

Rootbeer

Banned
last year the 2014 friends sets (including the Disney Princess sub theme) were among the first sets to start hitting shelves in December 2013. They started showing up before mid-month.

I'd be calling my local LEGO store starting this Tuesday, though next Tuesday may be more likely. But the early release isn't a sure thing.

In my experience the employees can't really tell you what they are getting until it physically arrives. If they say it's not there, ask when they are expecting new stock and check back in the early afternoon of that day.

Here is a fun thing to do: go into the previous LEGO thread and read through the December posts. this gives you an idea of the timeline of when the new sets started hitting shelves. i think some superhero stuff started hitting in December as well.

melike75

Neo Member
Ok guys, I need some enabling.
I have most of the lego movie sets and I feel like I want the dropship but I can't quite commit. I have enough money left over from ebaying for it but I need convincing. I just saw it in ghostminds top 5 which is swaying me but help me out.

Should I get it? Why? I need someone to sell it to me.
(I do want it, I just need to know why I won't regret it)

Ryuuroden

I have most of the lego movie sets and I feel like I want the dropship but I can't quite commit. I have enough money left over from ebaying for it but I need convincing. I just saw it in ghostminds top 5 which is swaying me but help me out.

It's in my next five list (6-10), top 3 movie theme set. Since I don't know what else you may be considering, all I can say is dropship is a good choice.

Zerojul

A very cool futuristic design, a cool build, 8 minifigures, a fairly sturdy and large final model with nice gimmicks (the rope/crane, the detachable prison cell...).
It's one of the best TLM sets, on par with Benny's Spaceship IMO.

melike75

Neo Member
Ok, I don't need much convincing. It's not even like its between this and something else either (although maybe the Mini Cooper..but I'd have to send off for that and it wouldn't get here for weeks)...maybe the jedi scout fighter or whatever it's called..I'm kinda trying to avoid the extended Star Wars line (only getting the OT stuff) as I've been down that path before.

Ryuuroden

Ok, I don't need much convincing. It's not even like its between this and something else either (although maybe the Mini Cooper..but I'd have to send off for that and it wouldn't get here for weeks)...maybe the jedi scout fighter or whatever it's called..I'm kinda trying to avoid the extended Star Wars line (only getting the OT stuff) as I've been down that path before.

Yeah Star Wars is a killer for me but I have been getting less and less each year as remakes have started coming for vehicles I already have. I like vehicles and spaceships from all the series and locations from OT. Luckely I have never felt much "I need to get that" for the capital ships. I am mainly a "fighter" class kind of guy. I think part of it is I have thing for scale and since capital ships are so massive but Lego can only do so much, size wise, I never get them. I would have to do something like my orthanc Moc to be satisfied with it and I just don't have the same enthusiasm and interest to go all in on spaceships like I do with fantasy fortifications. Anyways, I think that fact I don't buy the Star Wars capital ships has saved me a bunch of space and money over the years. Until the last 2 years, Star Wars was definitely my biggest theme in the number of sets I picked up each year and possibly in money spent although one year I bought 5 grand emporiums, 2 pet shops and 2 fire brigades....and another year I bought 3 town halls.

I was on the fence, but I just bought it the other day. Worst case is I can sell it for close to MSRP or possibly higher (once no longer available at retail outlets) if I have buyers regret. Very low risk. :) Resell price will be much lower if opened though.

Check out LEGO video of it in action.
http://www.lego.com/en-us/movie/products/products/70815-super-secret-police-dropship

Reviews:

http://brickset.com/article/11296/review-70815-super-secret-police-dropship
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRZT36C/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Super-Secret-Police-Dropship-70815

EDIT: If there wasn't so many sets I want, I'd probably end up getting 2 or 3 of this set for my dystopian future. :) "All bricks must be sorted. Mixing of bricks is not allowed."

mrkgoo

I just realised mini figures make the perfect workplace secret Santa gift....

As mentioned, I'm loving the Aviation Adventures set. Waited until a special and got it for 35% off and it feels like great value with some cool colours, awesome play features and seems like a pretty big set so good value.

I really want the agents infearno set too....

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hey guys, any tips for sorting giant bins of LEGO so that I can rebuild old sets?
I was way into LEGO as a kid and have had the urge recently to build some of the sets I have, but they're all mixed together and it seems pretty overwhelming.
I have a feeling the answer is going to be "Lots and lots of time," but just checking to see if there are any secrets for speeding up the process a bit.

Also, how much time does it take to put your inventory on Bricklink? I probably don't need as much LEGO as I have, so I wouldn't really mind selling a bit off, but it seems like it'd take a ton of work to add my whole inventory.

Hey guys, any tips for sorting giant bins of LEGO so that I can rebuild old sets?
I was way into LEGO as a kid and have had the urge recently to build some of the sets I have, but they're all mixed together and it seems pretty overwhelming.
I have a feeling the answer is going to be "Lots and lots of time," but just checking to see if there are any secrets for speeding up the process a bit.

Also, how much time does it take to put your inventory on Bricklink? I probably don't need as much LEGO as I have, so I wouldn't really mind selling a bit off, but it seems like it'd take a ton of work to add my whole inventory.

Sorting through crap will take a bit. I put ideas for storage once things are sorted in the OP, but getting to that stage from where you are takes time.

What I have done before is just to get a bunch of paper bowls or plastic food containers and just sort stuff from the giant bin into those. Have a small container for general style pieces. Like all the 1x plate styles in one bin, 1x2 and 1x4 in another, random weird pieces in another, etc, etc. Then go back to the bins and sort a second time, but there will be less variety to sort at that point, simplifying it.

Kipp

Sorting through crap will take a bit. I put ideas for storage once things are sorted in the OP, but getting to that stage from where you are takes time.

What I have done before is just to get a bunch of paper bowls or plastic food containers and just sort stuff from the giant bin into those. Have a small container for general style pieces. Like all the 1x plate styles in one bin, 1x2 and 1x4 in another, random weird pieces in another, etc, etc. Then go back to the bins and sort a second time, but there will be less variety to sort at that point, simplifying it.

Good to know. Thank you!

Good to know. Thank you!

To help avoid confusion later, I usually combine max two different length plates or bricks in one bin. I try not to mix the 1x2 and 1x3 because they look so similar at a glance. But, mix the 1x2 and the 1x4 and it is easy to tell them apart for sorting out later. Same with 1x3 and 1x6.

I was in similar situation couple years ago after visiting LEGO store in Orlando and decided to clean up my son LEGO bins. There were several (10-15 set) mixed in but luckily it was mostly Star Wars and Bionicles.

As Phon mentioned, get several tupperware and then sort them out as he suggested. Set will be easier to put back together if you still have the instructions. I was lucky that I forced my son to keep all his instructions in separate bag and store them away. If you don't but know what set they are from you can get most of the instruction on-line (check Brickset).

The task might seems daunting, it was for me when I stared into the pile and pile of LEGO pieces in his toy bins and I think it took me a month or so of slowly sorting and building but the process actually was quite fun and end result is actually rewarding. (May be I should mixed all the bags next time I build) Here is a picture of what I salvaged after about a month and it got me back into LEGO from dark age (people here are terrible at encouraging you to spend money but they are the best of GAF, I fear for you entering this thread). There were several set that I was not able to put back together as they were missing so many pieces and to this day I still haven't found Grevious and Maul.

2nx8KSc.jpg

To help avoid confusion later, I usually combine max two different length plates or bricks in one bin. I try not to mix the 1x2 and 1x3 because they look so similar at a glance. But, mix the 1x2 and the 1x4 and it is easy to tell them apart for sorting out later. Same with 1x3 and 1x6.

Do you sort them by color as well, or all colors of the same piece go in the same bin? Having the same problem here and working on a sorting strategy :)

Phon's recommendations for sorting are solid. I just went through a very long process of sorting parts and found it best to do "high level" sorting as a first pass:

• Bricks
  • Plates
  • Tiles
  • Technic
  • Other bullshit

From there you can then tackle your "bricks" bin and continue sorting down the line. It worked well for me.

neonglow

Do you sort them by color as well, or all colors of the same piece go in the same bin? Having the same problem here and working on a sorting strategy :)

Unless you have too many of one color, keep similar shapes together. It's easy to eyeball them by color when you need to find a piece.

Rootbeer

Banned
I want LEGO to do a new version of Yoda's hut. :(

I know they've already done it twice, but I need it!

My Target exclusive minifigure gift set arrived today from target.com. What a cool collection this is. Hope everyone is snagging it while it's still easily available.

Thursday I saw a bunch on the Target floor. Around 20 of them. I may pick up another if there are any left when I stop in tomorrow. I'm expecting them all to be gone though.

Phon's recommendations for sorting are solid. I just went through a very long process of sorting parts and found it best to do "high level" sorting as a first pass:

• Bricks
  • Plates
  • Tiles
  • Technic
  • Other bullshit

From there you can then tackle your "bricks" bin and continue sorting down the line. It worked well for me.
Yup. Multiple passes is the best way and gives you an idea if you need to do more passes and sort by color. It is time consuming, but worth it.

And your tiers for sorting are great descriptions, sometimes with multiple sorting trays for each tier.

Eventually you will get to the point where further sorting is needed. I used to have all my 1x1 round studs together, but eventually got to the point of needing to separate the solid and clear studs to their own bins.

Eventually you will get to the point where further sorting is needed. I used to have all my 1x1 round studs together, but eventually got to the point of needing to separate the solid and clear studs to their own bins.

Exactly, yeah. Trips to the PAB wall are perfect for that. I've got a lot of pieces in one color that require extra sorts.

There's nothing more frustrating than cleaning up your child's "winter diorama" when it consists of nothing but round clear & trans blue 1x1 plates. So much separation.

I tried building a set (Holiday Train 10173) last night based on instructions found online. Turns out I don't have nearly as many of these as I think I do. The build requires a ton of them:

Ziploc bags are also a very inexpensive way to keep the bricks organised.

It will take time to sort through, but i find it relaxing to sort while casually watching TV (will slow you down, but helps if you find the task tedious) or listening to a podcast (faster).

As for shortcuts, this is the only one I know about:

http://box4blox.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc6Hrm7HTTU

LEGO has their own version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldWcZ7eDKCg

I haven't used that method because I'm very OCD and meticulous. I want to reduce scratching of my bricks as much as possible. Since they are older LEGO from when you are a kid, they're probably as worn and scratched as mine are so those sorting bins would be fine.

Also worth noting is the color changes. I can't recall when the color changes happened, but depending on how old your LEGO bricks are, they are different than current LEGO bricks. You can search online for the exact timeline.

Kipp

Thank you all for the advice! Most of my bricks are pretty dusty, so I'll probably wash them today then get started on sorting them tomorrow.

I'm probably most excited to build my Johnny Thunder sets. Such fond memories of those.

I was in similar situation couple years ago after visiting LEGO store in Orlando and decided to clean up my son LEGO bins. There were several (10-15 set) mixed in but luckily it was mostly Star Wars and Bionicles.

As Phon mentioned, get several tupperware and then sort them out as he suggested. Set will be easier to put back together if you still have the instructions. I was lucky that I forced my son to keep all his instructions in separate bag and store them away. If you don't but know what set they are from you can get most of the instruction on-line (check Brickset).

I think I've probably got something like 40 sets all mixed together (though mostly small-medium sized sets), so it's gonna take a bit of work. Haha
Luckily I do have all of the instructions though!

Edit: Oof... Just started pulling out only a small fraction of my LEGO and I'm getting overwhelmed/discouraged. This is gonna take forever.

Thank you all for the advice! Most of my bricks are pretty dusty, so I'll probably wash them today then get started on sorting them tomorrow.

I'm probably most excited to build my Johnny Thunder sets. Such fond memories of those.

I think I've probably got something like 40 sets all mixed together (though mostly small-medium sized sets), so it's gonna take a bit of work. Haha
Luckily I do have all of the instructions though!

Edit: Oof... Just started pulling out only a small fraction of my LEGO and I'm getting overwhelmed/discouraged. This is gonna take forever.

This will motivate you. ;)

12758722355_5d47ab744e.jpg

It's worse than it seems. That's mostly sorted even if it doesn't look like it. :) When I sort a lot of bricks, I put them in piles. It's faster to put them all in piles as much as possible before putting them in their containers.

For example, it's a pain to find a few 1x2 plates, then put in container.
Find a few more 1x2 plates, then put in container,
Find a few more 1x2 plates, then put in container,
Find a few more 1x2 plates, then put in container...

You get the point.

As mentioned earlier, you may want to do a few passes. All big plates in one pile, all small plates in another pile. Don't worry about separating 2x2 and 1x2 until later.
I do that technique sometimes too so I can clear up the table quickly then go back to each one later to sort more completely.

"In 2014 over 120 new part designs were created for LEGO sets."

http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/11/new-lego-elements-in-2015-part-1/

I thought they were supposed to keep the number of new elements to a minimum. It's obvious a lot of new elements came from the Friends line, but there has been a lot of new ones for the regular LEGO system. It must be all the new stuff like CMF, Mixels, and new licenses. Actually Chima and Ninjago have a lot of new moulds as well.
I guess they have the cost controls in place and with LEGO sales going through the roof they are making extra allowances to expand the market.

"They also created a cost matrix, clearly showing the price associated with each change. Once the costs of innovation were clear, designers were urged to use existing elements in new ways, rather than devise new elements requiring new molds and colors."

http://www.strategy-business.com/article/07306?pg=all

EDIT: I've been meaning to bring up the discussion of minifig accessories. I have mixed feelings about them.
On one hand, it's almost like minifigs are being accessorized like dolls. LEGO is becoming more like Playmobil with all the specialized accessories.
On the other hand, some of the accessories are really cool.

As a kid before they came out with the castle stuff, I was using the antenna element as both a sword and a wizard staff.
Can LEGO go too far with the accessories or should they continue expanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom