• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

S&H OOP Update 12/08/14

9493 X-wing Starfighter (I may have mentioned this one before)
10223 Kingdoms Joust
10235 Winter Village Market
21102 Minecraft Micro World - The Forest
75000 Clone Troopers vs Droidekas
75018 Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter
76008 Iron Man vs The Mandarin

NeoZylom

Hi guys! I'm going to the USA in a few days and I made a list of Lego Set I would be interested in buying (they are cheaper than in Canada if you factor the exchange rates + 15% tx in Quebec). Off course I don't have the money (nor do I have the space) to bring back all the sets on my list. I would like you guys to help me choose which one I should get. I'm going to stop by the Lego Store in Rockfeller Center so I think I can expect to find some of the "rarer" sets (Or maybe not?).

Here is THE LIST (with my interest in parenthesis) :
Tower Bridge (+/-)
Palace Cinema (+)
Mini (+)
Parisian restaurant (+)
Imperial Hotel (+/-)
ECTO-1 (+)
Bike Shop (+/-)
Simpsons (+)
AT-AT (+)
Destroyer (+/-)
Milano (+)
Pet Shop (+/-)
R2D2 (+)
Grand Emporium (+/-)
Town Hall (+/-)
X Wing (+)

PS. Sorry for bad english ; ;

S&H OOP Update 12/08/14

I'm surprised the WV Market didn't last a second season. I guess the increased popularity of LEGO this year has really drained inventories. I need to get the Santa set soon.

Amazing that the Minecraft Cuusoo set was in print for as long as it was. Expected given the sales obviously, but unprecedented compared to other Cuusoo/Ideas sets.

Hi guys! I'm going to the USA in a few days and I made a list of Lego Set I would be interested in buying (they are cheaper than in Canada if you factor the exchange rates + 15% tx in Quebec). Off course I don't have the money (nor do I have the space) to bring back all the sets on my list. I would like you guys to help me choose which one I should get. I'm going to stop by the Lego Store in Rockfeller Center so I think I can expect to find some of the "rarer" sets (Or maybe not?).

Tower Bridge (+/-)
Palace Cinema (+)
Mini (+)
Parisian restaurant (+)
Imperial Hotel (+/-)
ECTO-1 (+)
Bike Shop (+/-)
Simpsons (+)
AT-AT (+)
Destroyer (+/-)
Milano (+)
Pet Shop (+/-)
R2D2 (+)
Grand Emporium (+/-)
Town Hall (+/-)
X Wing (+)

Bonsoir. In terms of "missing out" on sets, the Tower Bridge, Pet Shop, Grand Emporium, Town Hall & R2D2 are probably most at risk of disappearing soon. They may already be gone but I'm not sure.

If you just want the very best sets, I would say Pet Shop or Parisian Restaurant (I haven't built this yet). Your list has sets that pretty much everybody loves, except for the Bike shop which isn't terribly well-liked.

I'm surprised the WV Market didn't last a second season. I guess the increased popularity of LEGO this year has really drained inventories. I need to get the Santa set soon.

Amazing that the Minecraft Cuusoo set was in print for as long as it was. Expected given the sales obviously, but unprecedented compared to other Cuusoo/Ideas sets.

Nah. WV Market lasted as long as the Cottage it seems.

I finally built the Market and Santa's Workshop this past week. I liked the Market more because the way the carousel comes together is so great, but Santa's Workshop has a lot more character to it. It is a bit more whimsical and fun. I see Santa's Workshop sticking around for a bit longer.

Tower Bridge (+/-)
Palace Cinema (+)
Mini (+)
Parisian restaurant (+)
Imperial Hotel (+/-)
ECTO-1 (+)
Bike Shop (+/-)
Simpsons (+)
AT-AT (+)
Destroyer (+/-)
Milano (+)
Pet Shop (+/-)
R2D2 (+)
Grand Emporium (+/-)
Town Hall (+/-)
X Wing (+)

All the modulars are worth it. Town Hall, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium are goners now or later, so get them while you can. You have another year or more on Parisian Restaurant, so it can wait (even if it is the best set). R2-D2 probably doesn't have long for this world either.

Tower Bridge is one of those sets I will enthusiastically endorse, yet it would be low on my priority list unless you are into MOCs. It is a great build and looks incredible when done, but it is still a glorified parts pack for me personally. A REALLY good parts pack.

"In 2014 over 120 new part designs were created for LEGO sets."

http://thebrickblogger.com/2014/11/new-lego-elements-in-2015-part-1/

I thought they were supposed to keep the number of new elements to a minimum. It's obvious a lot of new elements came from the Friends line, but there has been a lot of new ones for the regular LEGO system. It must be all the new stuff like CMF, Mixels, and new licenses. Actually Chima and Ninjago have a lot of new moulds as well.
I guess they have the cost controls in place and with LEGO sales going through the roof they are making extra allowances to expand the market.

"They also created a cost matrix, clearly showing the price associated with each change. Once the costs of innovation were clear, designers were urged to use existing elements in new ways, rather than devise new elements requiring new molds and colors."

http://www.strategy-business.com/article/07306?pg=all

EDIT: I've been meaning to bring up the discussion of minifig accessories. I have mixed feelings about them.
On one hand, it's almost like minifigs are being accessorized like dolls. LEGO is becoming more like Playmobil with all the specialized accessories.
On the other hand, some of the accessories are really cool.

As a kid before they came out with the castle stuff, I was using the antenna element as both a sword and a wizard staff.
Can LEGO go too far with the accessories or should they continue expanding?

I actually do not mind accessories at all. I don't like big specialize piece that they were doing during the mid and late 90's but for me pieces like helmets, guns, swords and staffs are what they really help keep LEGO mini-figures exciting and new. It's probably also the reason for increase cost of the Mini-figures series.

LFTPDo7l.jpg

This show up today in the mail, I never found it in any of the stores I went to last week and ended up just ordering it on-line.

melike75

Neo Member
Edit: Oof... Just started pulling out only a small fraction of my LEGO and I'm getting overwhelmed/discouraged. This is gonna take forever.

I feel for you man. My wife and I are doing the same thing with my oldests sets , trying to get them back together for our youngest to build. Its exhausting but it is kinda fun and it is very satisfying when it does start coming together. It IS a long process though - we've been spacing it out over...a while.

I actually do not mind accessories at all. I don't like big specialize piece that they were doing during the mid and late 90's but for me piece like helmets, guns, sword and staffs are what they really help keep LEGO mini-figures exciting and new.

Agreed. And they can be used with any figure to add even more character.

S&H OOP Update 12/08/14

9493 X-wing Starfighter (I may have mentioned this one before)
10223 Kingdoms Joust
75000 Clone Troopers vs Droidekas
75018 Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter
76008 Iron Man vs The Mandarin

All the Minecraft Micro Word are going OOP I think. My local TRU are completely out of them aside from a few of the dragon one (and they have piles of them before). The new Minecraft (minifigs size) seem to be doing really well also. I need to pick up couple of those Microworld before they are all gone.

X-wing is to be expected, they are probably working on X-wing 2.0 for later this year.

Leunam

That Slave 1 is gorgeous. Sorry fam, you're not getting presents this year. I have too many sophisticated interlocking brick systems to buy.

Ryuuroden

Lol at tonight's Castle ep showing whats happening to the show when it comes back in January. It's perfect timing for the Detectives Office. Hell yeah :D

Tower Bridge (+/-)
Palace Cinema (+)
Mini (+)
Parisian restaurant (+)
Imperial Hotel (+/-)
ECTO-1 (+)
Bike Shop (+/-)
Simpsons (+)
AT-AT (+)
Destroyer (+/-)
Milano (+)
Pet Shop (+/-)
R2D2 (+)
Grand Emporium (+/-)
Town Hall (+/-)
X Wing (+)

If you are going to get modulars, don't mess around. Grand Emporium & Town Hall are OOP and hard to find. Get those if you can.
Tower Bridge looks nice, but it doesn't do anything for me. Go for a few modulars over Tower Bridge.

If you're on a budget, ECTO-1 and Milano (I don't have Milano, but I'm gonna get it).

Each Winter Village has lasted only two X-Mas seasons starting after 10216: Winter Village Bakery. This is why I have a little hope the Winter Village Market may get actually have some clearance at the end of the year. Village Market has the opposite appeal of Santa's Workshop here in the states.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Advanced-Models/subtheme-Winter-Village

I actually do not mind accessories at all. I don't like big specialize piece that they were doing during the mid and late 90's but for me pieces like helmets, guns, swords and staffs are what they really help keep LEGO mini-figures exciting and new. It's probably also the reason for increase cost of the Mini-figures series.

LFTPDo7l.jpg

This show up today in the mail, I never found it in any of the stores I went to last week and ended up just ordering it on-line.

I hope that Superboy is a sign that LEGO will do Teen Titans or Young Justice soon.

ghostmind

You too can own all of the modular buildings, for only $6,300 (and rising):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221629268251

1 - Café Corner (set number: 10182)
3 - Market Street (set number: 10190)
1 - Green Grocer (set number: 10185)
2 - Fire Brigade (set number: 10197)
1 - Grand Emporium (set number: 10211)
1 - Pet Shop (set number: 10218)
1 - Town Hall (set number: 10224)
1 - Palace Cinema (set number: 10232)

No Parisian Restaurant = NO SALE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that averages to about $570 per set for the current $6300. Waaay too rich for my blood.

3 of them are the yucky Market Street too, but they have a MISB price of
~$1800 x 3
~150 x 2 2 are easily obtained for MSRP of $150.
~$2000 Cafe Corner for an excellent condition sealed box.
~$1000 Green Grocer
~$300 Town Hall
~$300 Fire Brigade
~$225 Grand Emporium

So based on Bricklink prices, that lot should be a deal if under a measly $9525.
Makes me want to speculate on those modulars seeing that Fire Brigade still appreciated significantly despite it being available for over 3+ years. $235 is cheapest price on Bricklink for new and sealed.

mojiimbo

I hope Pet Shop lasts beyond the holidays. I've panic bought GE, TH, Orthanc and R2 in the last couple months but I couldn't really justify Pet Shop when those others are still in my backlog until I free up some more space.

melike75

Neo Member
Nah. WV Market lasted as long as the Cottage it seems.

I finally built the Market and Santa's Workshop this past week. I liked the Market more because the way the carousel comes together is so great, but Santa's Workshop has a lot more character to it. It is a bit more whimsical and fun. I see Santa's Workshop sticking around for a bit longer.

I just built the market and about to tackle the workshop. I was pleasantly suprised by the carousel actually! I had put that set off for ages cos it really wasnt speaking to me and Im not a big fan of sets that are made up of lots of smaller builds but that carousel came together wonderfully and is a great display piece. Upload some pics soon.

Starting Santas workshop tonight!

Edit: Just looking at the Slave I review and omigosh have they gone nuts with Boba Fett since I last saw him! The detail on him is insane! Printed arms now? Even more reason for me to whine about wanting an updated Spider-man.

On another note have I missed the end of year Lego voting? is that going to be a seperate thread or ..?

Ryuuroden

Oh, meijer is having a buy one get one 40% off sale for Lego movie sets. I may have to go in on that for dropship and construction mech. I forget if they are the same price but as long as they are close I haven't seen either of them for 20% off before. Those are the last two I need.

I have not made the thread yet because of other random bullshit here and posting from mobile mostly. Hopefully I can knock one out in a day or so, or someone else can. I have just had a lot going on unfortunately.

I hope Pet Shop lasts beyond the holidays. I've panic bought GE, TH, Orthanc and R2 in the last couple months but I couldn't really justify Pet Shop when those others are still in my backlog until I free up some more space.

I can understand if you don't have the money. One does not simply buy LEGO on credit.

If you do have some cash laying around, think of it this way. There hasn't been a single modular that hasn't increased in price so far. Think of it as an investment. :)
Most of those exclusive items have a decent appreciation value once they are no longer available. Even opened some will sell for decent price depending on availability in the after market.

I regret a bit not getting Town Hall. Even if I decided later I didn't want it, I could have sold it easily and most likely made some money. At this point, I have to pay a nice markup in the after market if I want that set. It's going for 50% over MSRP for new in sealed box in great condition.

Fire Brigade has gone up about 15% in value since June (looking at complete sets in Europe). Meanwhile a big set like Helm's Deep, which was already above retail price then, has hovered at the same level since. There's only around 200 of FB available in Europe too, so once the cheap ones sell, it's going to go up quickly.

I think as long as the modulars are produced, the older ones will get more expensive as time goes on. Of course less popular ones like Palace Cinema won't increase as quickly, but it also has unique parts (TH, PC and PR do, I don't think earlier ones did). However, at this point I'd sooner look to Pet Shop for investments - that one is going to be popular once it's out of print. GE has the reputation of being slightly meh, TH and PC have the Astrid stigma. CC, MS, GG and FB will probably just keep increasing to some ridiculous level.

It would be interesting to see how much FB would cost to part out. The older ones have parts that are rare to get, but I don't know if there's anything really rare in FB.

I don't think there is anything particularly rare in Fire Brigade either.

Looks like the red arches are rare, as well as the yellow bendy tube, radiator grills for windows, and the red garage door. In fact, the bendy tube looks to be the only unique piece, and that can easily be replaced with another color.

wetwired

Been a while since I posted, I've been busy with work and other secret squirrel stuff.

I caved and bought superboy from bricklink, I didn't want any of the other minifigs. The seller did have this which I've been chasing for ever. Only $40 new...
bat022.jpg

Dark knight returns batman from the first series of lego batman sets.

I think I have most major variants of batman now with the exception of zur Ann arh (purple and yellow) batman sdcc exclusive and obviously the ones coming out next year.

Ponn

Banned
Got my Target mini fig box. Superboy is noiiiiiiice, here is hoping for the rest of Teen Titans. We have Robin and will have a Cyborg but need Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, Kid Flash and a Terra would be nice too.

Dammnit sometimes I hate Amazon. They have a couple Like New and a Very Good Arkham Asylum in AWD that you just know were like a last shipment or something but they can get away with marking up the price on them by selling them in AWD instead of putting them up as retail. They have pulled this shit before on other stuff and it pisses me off.

Been a while since I posted, I've been busy with work and other secret squirrel stuff.

I caved and bought superboy from bricklink, I didn't want any of the other minifigs. The seller did have this which I've been chasing for ever. Only $40 new...
bat022.jpg

Dark knight returns batman from the first series of lego batman sets.

I think I have most major variants of batman now with the exception of zur Ann arh (purple and yellow) batman sdcc exclusive and obviously the ones coming out next year.

I am settling for the Decool zur Ann arh Batman. I don't see that version ever making it to a regular set or being widely available.

melike75

Neo Member
I have not made the thread yet because of other random bullshit here and posting from mobile mostly. Hopefully I can knock one out in a day or so, or someone else can. I have just had a lot going on unfortunately.

Oh, no pressure or anything - I just thought I may have missed it ..or even imagined it. Good to know i didnt ..on either count.

have they made a decool one!? I would like to know more

Man,I tried buying a bunch of Decool minifigs from that Alliexpress place or whatever its called. Ended up getting a bundle from about 4 different manufacturers. The ones that I believe are decool are pretty damn good but the others just vary in quality wildly.

But it just doesnt feel right though - I dont feel like they were earned weirdly enough. I dont really know how else to describe it.

Finished this build tonight

20141209_200444_LLS.jpg

Whats it like? I like the larger sets and am a huge comic fan BUT im not a fan of the Tumbler or Technic particularly. My instinct is telling me to stay away buuuuut....

So finally finish the Happy Fun Ball. It is a very good display set and probably a must have for any Star Wars LEGO fans. That said, I find most of the build to be pretty tedious and a bit outdated (though it does have certain charm from that era of LEGO when I was in the Dark Age). The Ball do allow for many awesome movie scenes re-enactments, the third floor was probably the best while the final floor just seems like they don't know what else to put on there so they just throw random stuff in like the droid room (though the conference room is nice for "I find your lack of faith" scene. My favorite section has got to be the Emperor throne room follow closely by the Detention Block and Trash Compactor.

UAnYCbnl.jpg

You get a lot of mini-figures but they are pretty dated by today standard. They probably should retire the set soon and replaced with something as epic. I would propose a Cloud City set instead of the ball you can have a round circle shaped city build up into three to four level. We can have so many iconic scenes from the best Star Wars movie - carbonite chamber, the underbelly of Cloud City, landing platform, Leia's chamber could be on top and the bottom section could have Luke dangling on the weather vane.

BMiyIGAl.jpg

The Super Laser is very interesting build, my mind was blown when they all came together.

6YXzi5ql.jpg

The Circle is now Complete.

n3DOUSZl.jpg

Young Fool ... Only now at the end do you understand.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, so I ended up washing my mass amounts of unsorted LEGO today. I meant to get pictures, but forgot to.
They ended up filling up the bathtub about halfway. I have more LEGO than I thought.

Next comes the sorting.

Oh, so I ended up washing my mass amounts of unsorted LEGO today. I meant to get pictures, but forgot to.
They ended up filling up the bathtub about halfway. I have more LEGO than I thought.

Next comes the sorting.

Half a bathtub?! That is insane. As for the sorting of that much stuff?

P5RqRBG.gif

Fxp

So, my son wrote letter to Santa asking for LEGO Death Star as a present... Since it's too much of a present at the moment what would be next best set with Darth Vader (no more than $/EUR 50)? Might be OOP, I'll order it from Bricklink.

Thanks AG, now i want to rebuild my death star ;)

You took it apart?!!? Unless I am moving, that thing is staying put as permanent fixture in my man cave.

So, my son wrote letter to Santa asking for LEGO Death Star as a present... Since it's too much of a present at the moment what would be next best set with Darth Vader (no more than $/EUR 50)? Might be OOP, I'll order it from Bricklink.

I would suggest Star Destroyer as nice substitute but it is slightly out of your price range, unless you can find it on sale somewhere. I got mine using TRU coupon and it was quite a saving but it was still barely under $90.00.

My Best Star is still boxed up and broken down. Along with everything else. I am still waiting to get into my apartment after all these months. I have so much building to do once I finally get there. MOC first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom