• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wanted a tiny set to build while sipping some Starbucks, and I got the mini millennium falcon. I gotta say I'm impressed with how much detail they managed to pack into a set with less than 100 pieces. Looks great!

I bet I could turn this into a Christmas ornament if I used the right pieces...

Ryuuroden

Welp, finished another floor of Orthanc MOC, it is now the height of my Detolf. Just one more floor to build before I can put on the already built top floor and then finish the pinnacle. Yay progress. I already have the design in my mind for the final floor I have to build so it is just a matter of building it. I spent about 7 hours on it today so I am done till tomorrow. Will probably build the floor piece for the next floor tomorrow after work and start work on the floor and hopefully finish it on Tuesday or Wednesday. I can feeeel it, the end is finally in sight. Then I have to build a bunch of furniture, rugs, etc for the interior.

Rootbeer

Banned
My research institute shipped earlier today. Way earlier than the original estimate. I guess it's a shame that it's not a Christmas present cause that would work out beautifully. :p

Also... was this the very last wave of Research Institutes we are likely to ever see? Because it's S@H page now says:

This set was overwhelmingly popular and is no longer available for purchase. Limited quantity is expected at LEGO® Brand retail locations the week of December 14, 2014. Please check back for the new LEGO® Ideas set in January!

Well...after skipping over this set on its initial release day only to be baffled by its quick sell-out and discontinuement, I won't be making this mistake again on an Ideas set. Glad I could get one.

shiba5

So, uh has anyone ever accidently swallowed a Lego while trying to get them apart? Because I'm pretty sure I just experienced something worse than stepping on one.

shiba5

Well, I've done it this way since I was a kid - way before that orange tool - and nothing ever went wrong. Tonight I had two of those 1x1 tiles stuck together and things kinda went downhill from there. :(

Rootbeer

Banned
hmm a 1x1 tile... i don't know, people swallow quarters without much issue right? though it has corners so that may not be good... at least it's not a 2x2 tile :p

i can't believe you swallowed it though... wow

good luck. though personally... my anxiety is such that i'd probably be freaking out :p just thinking about passing that... depending on the angle and all may not be so pleasant. (1x1 tile is like the best scenario though so... round title would be slightly better :p)

by the way I know this is obvious... but you find TONS of stuff by googling about swallowing LEGO. it is not that rare.

ghostmind

You have made a terrible mistake.

Which brick was it?

OoH9OkD.jpg

shiba5

I literally had 6 of those orange separator things within reach because I have six holiday sets I'm trying to get set up. Gonna be using those from now on!

melike75

Neo Member
LIVE The Ghost building on youtube right now.

Ghostbusters LEGO set name dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2SVNzncXPc

Lockergnome, who i'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Remember this guy from the Tech TV days.

So I was watching this and was wondering if other people do live builds on youtube (I'm guessing this is part of a regular podcast thingy.
Lo and behold there are a few.
I've been trying to think of something interesting and different to do with lego on youtube besides reviews and thought maybe I could do this..but a live build...I don't know how appealing that is to people unless you're super witty (alas). There are speed builds and also of course time lapse and stop motion, but the latter just takes way too long. I've tried it in the past.

What would everyone like to watch besides reviews? I was thinking of a weekly lego news show but I don't know if there's enough regular content for that. I'll be doing a lego comic aimed at our demographic and wanted to do something else to complement it.

So I wanted a tiny set to build while sipping some Starbucks, and I got the mini millennium falcon. I gotta say I'm impressed with how much detail they managed to pack into a set with less than 100 pieces. Looks great!

I bet I could turn this into a Christmas ornament if I used the right pieces...

The Millenium Falcon is the best of all those micro/chibi sets. I think part of it is because the unusual shape and non-symmetry on certain parts. My lack of interest in the non-original trilogy sets beat out my OCD of completing the collection. I found many of the non-OT one boring or easy to make with my existing parts.

So, uh has anyone ever accidently swallowed a Lego while trying to get them apart? Because I'm pretty sure I just experienced something worse than stepping on one.

I heard a person should eat bread or something when a sharp object is ingested. Could be an old wive's tale.

You don't want that piece to go to waste. For when it passes: How do I sanitize or wash my LEGO® bricks and pieces?

Swallow another piece and see if you can connect them inside your digestive tract. I would be most impressed.

That looks like the winner. It's gonna be hard to follow that one. Here's my lame contribution...

98107pb02.jpg

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
11267.jpg

Could be worse. Could be Duplo, a Fabuland prefab house, Bionicle/Hero Factory, train motor block.

I have this book. It's an amusing read :)

Stuck-Up-100-Objects-Inserted-Ingested.jpg

hunchback

I can't believe I found a place to talk Lego's and swallowing them.
I'm just recently getting back into the hobby due to my disability. The last time I did any building, I built R2-D2 and a Tie fighter. I would really like a fun build for the holidays. This time I want to focus on buildings. What are a few buildings from the collection would you recommend that is fun and challenging? I know some are out of stock. Any help would be great. I look forward to doing some building and sharing.

Damn, i just thought about...what if you swallowed Mr. Gold?

Bet there WOULD be a treasure hunt then right?

edit: to be fair, he'd be kinda (too) easy to spot...

mrkgoo

When I was like 5 I used to remove Lego with my teeth. Swallowed a minifig head.

My mum monitored me closely to ensure it passed through.

I'm just recently getting back into the hobby due to my disability. The last time I did any building, I built R2-D2 and a Tie fighter. I would really like a fun build for the holidays. This time I want to focus on buildings. What are a few buildings from the collection would you recommend that is fun and challenging? I know some are out of stock. Any help would be great. I look forward to doing some building and sharing.

Buildings? Do you mean the Architecture line of miniature real buildings, or the Creator Expert modular line of minifig scale buildings?

You really can't go wrong with any of the modulars. Get Pet Shop or Parisian Restaurant now, and Detective's Office after Jan 1st. They're all fantastic builds, great display sets (especially if you get two, or ten) and an amazing value when it comes to parts, if yoy actually want to rebuild them into something else.

Ryuuroden

Get Parisian Restaurant. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the modular sets. Parisian Restaurant is the best of the bunch currently in production.

And if you sold him, you would have to put an added description under used......

holy shit, you're right :p

Seriously though, this reminds me, is Lego ever gonna come up with something like Mr. Gold again for CMFs? I remember being pretty desperate when i kept feeling for hours with no chance of finding him :(

wetwired

I had the urge to buy the TMNT movie minifigs off bricklink for some reason...I sat down and actually watched it tonight and much like after the hobbit I have been cured of all temptation!

hunchback

Get Parisian Restaurant. You get a lot of bang for the buck with the modular sets. Parisian Restaurant is the best of the bunch currently in production.

Ok, thanks. My wife spotted that one and likes it alot and it looks fun. I will order that one. Which one of the discontinued buildings would you suggest? I saw the Grand Cinema and that was really nice. I also saw one with escalators inside but the name escapes me. I know those can be pricey.
Thanks for the help.

Ryuuroden

Ok, thanks. My wife spotted that one and likes it alot and it looks fun. I will order that one. Which one of the discontinued buildings would you suggest? I saw the Grand Cinema and that was really nice. I also saw one with escalators inside but the name escapes me. I know those can be pricey.
Thanks for the help.

the one with escalators is grand emporium. I probably like the cinema the least but it is still available. The top two sets in the out of print category that are still affordable relatively speaking is fire brigade and town hall. The top two still available modulars are pet shop and Parisian restaurant.

hunchback

the one with escalators is grand emporium. I probably like the cinema the least but it is still available. The top two sets in the out of print category that are still affordable relatively speaking is fire brigade and town hall. The top two still available modulars are pet shop and Parisian restaurant.

You people are a bad influence. I went ahead and ordered the Grand Emporium and Haunted House kits. It's Christmas and it will be fun putting together with my wife. I can't wait until they get here.

Sydney Opera House looks great, but so far many have said it's not that fun of a build.
The Simpsons House is also one I've heard isn't that fun of a build.
The Tower of Orthanc is a building. :)
Santa's Workshop isn't a big building, but it's a nice holiday build.

Modulars that are available still:
Pet Shop
Palace Cinema
Parisian Restaurant (based on reviews this is the best of all the modulars currently available)

These aren't buildings, but many here have raved about them. I don't own any of these.
MetalBeard's Sea Cow
10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van
10242 MINI Cooper

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Hard-to-Find-Items-ByTheme

You people are a bad influence. I went ahead and ordered the Grand Emporium and Haunted House kits. It's Christmas and it will be fun putting together with my wife. I can't wait until they get here.

Those are discontinued and aren't available retail. Did you pay much over MSRP for those? Haunted House is supposed to be great. I have it, but it's in my backlog.
We aren't a bad influence. We enable fun and happiness. As adults it's up to each person to be financially responsible. :)

EDIT: If you are looking at discontinued items, don't forget Town Hall. That one will empty your wallet in after market prices.

shiba5

I really love the Haunted House. I thought it was a fun build and it looks great. One of my favorites.
Another one I really like is 10193, but it's retired and I don't know how hard it is to find. It's one of the Castle sets - Medieval Market.

So my uncle saw my Metalbeard and thought it was an action figure. He didn't believe me when I told him it was Lego. I guess the general public still thinks of Lego as those tubs of basic primary colored bricks?

I found a bunch of Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle sets in a Target here in Orange County, CA.

I don't mind people buying the sets and selling them online for higher prices (supply and demand) as they will become widely available soon enough. What bothers me is the people on eBay and Amazon charging more than double the MSRP as pre-orders which means they will ship AFTER the holidays when the set is officially released. Of course buyer is responsible for understanding the terms and not to confuse pre-order vs something that will ship immediately Some are so bold as to imply they will "get it before everyone else".

To be fair, it did cross my mind to sell a set (just 1) online for a nice profit. The big difference is I would have the product in hand to ship right away. I hope the sets I left reach kids (even adults) that will enjoy it for xmas and not get swooped by a single reseller.

So my uncle saw my Metalbeard and thought it was an action figure. He didn't believe me when I told him it was Lego. I guess the general public still thinks of Lego as those tubs of basic primary colored bricks?

That is both good and bad. Some feel LEGO has lost a lot of imagination by not just being mostly blocks. For at lot of sets, you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of basic blocks. I definitely can understand that viewpoint.

I have kids, but I feel that LEGO still sparks the imagination of children. The toy market has changed a lot since the 70's and for good or bad, LEGO had to change with the times. If demand for basic blocks were high, I'm 100% sure LEGO would churn out more sets to meet that demand. Maybe the Minecraft sets will bring back the basic block fun many of us older folks experienced to this generation of kids. I don't agree with critics that claim LEGO has lost its imagination. It has just become more sophisticated just as the toy market for kids has become more sophisticated.

... I really wish I could find more cheap TIE Fighters. Just having 1 is gonna bug me now.

Bricklink the parts to make a dozen of these. :)

5jE3l6E.jpg

Or could go with Tie Interceptors.

CrimsonN0

Kinda strange that Meijer still has an entirely unopened box of Series 12 minifigs.
Though, luckily, I managed to correctly grab a Battle Goddess at Target, didn't want to try to feel through even more minifig bags.
Wish I wasn't so lazy/late with previous minifig series, but I'd probably still be really cheap about it. Have no idea how I got Snowboarder guy from Series 5 when I wanted the Boxer.

Kinda strange that Meijer still has an entirely unopened box of Series 12 minifigs.
Though, luckily, I managed to correctly grab a Battle Goddess at Target, didn't want to try to feel through even more minifig bags.
Wish I wasn't so lazy/late with previous minifig series, but I'd probably still be really cheap about it. Have no idea how I got Snowboarder guy from Series 5 when I wanted the Boxer.

You can actually find a lot of the series 12 minifigs for decent prices on Bricklink especially if you don't care about the accessories. The Pig guy and a few others are in high demand though and carry higher prices.

Ponn

Banned

My brain is imploding right now going a million miles a minute.

Sooooo many big fig hulks now but at least they look to be a little different.

Hulkbuster looks AWEEEEESOME! Can't wait to have a throwdown between Hulkbuster and Bat-Mech. Great price point for that set to.

Is that Von Strucker with the staff? Quicksilver in that set with gate and castle and big fig hulk? Such a weird set.

New Hawkeye fig in the Thor set in the corner? meh.

New Quinjet actually looks pretty good and it poops Cap-on-a-Bike

What the freaking WHAT Ultron-Iron Mans with Loki staff in that Avengers tower set?? What is going on?? I like how that is more of the top of the Avengers tower instead of trying to be the whole tower. It's almost like they are daring Ryuuroden to take on a new project. Say goodbye to all your grey bricks Lego.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom