• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
just watching some 2015 set reviews and I am totally in love with the 2015 batman figure! The printing and new cowl mold looks so great. AND... the cape, which as we know now, the 2015 capes use a new material but something I didn't think of previously was that this new material actually moves easier, so you can put minifigs that have capes on in vehicles easier without it putting creases in the actual cape itself. This is a pretty huge development, especially for Batman figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLeOHhE6XOo

only complaint: why is LEGO so hesitant to give Batman leg printing, meanwhile so many other figs get leg printing?

Ponn

Banned
just watching some 2015 set reviews and I am totally in love with the 2015 batman figure! The printing and new cowl mold looks so great. AND... the cape, which as we know now, the 2015 capes use a new material but something I didn't think of previously was that this new material actually moves easier, so you can put minifigs that have capes on in vehicles easier without it putting creases in the actual cape itself. This is a pretty huge development, especially for Batman figures.

only complaint: why is LEGO so hesitant to give Batman leg printing, meanwhile so many other figs get leg printing?

OMG reviews already yayyyyy!

Question for those in the know. I'm planning on ordering the Ideas Birds on the 1st because the availability of these Idea/Cuusoo sets are so wonky and unreliable. I'm trying to make a game plan on what to order with it. Are these DC sets also January 1st? New wave of Mixels? I'm not seeing anything else on the site listed for Jan 1st yet.

Ravek

Banned
OMG reviews already yayyyyy!

Question for those in the know. I'm planning on ordering the Ideas Birds on the 1st because the availability of these Idea/Cuusoo sets are so wonky and unreliable. I'm trying to make a game plan on what to order with it. Are these DC sets also January 1st? New wave of Mixels? I'm not seeing anything else on the site listed for Jan 1st yet.

Yeah, BrickShow, Jangbricks, and just2good have been posting reviews. I swear just2good is an insider like GhostMind.

gerg

Even though I'm more of a Marvel fan I've always found the DC minifigures more interesting than the Marvel ones, I think because they seem to have more sculpted pieces - if Batman and the Flash can have separate helmets, why not Captain America too?

In general I wonder how the Lego Group handles having such directly competing licenses. Do Marvel and DC end up signing very similar contracts?

hmmblah

I went to the Henry Ford Museum two weeks ago and they had a display done by the Michigan Lego Users Group. I took a ton of photos. Here's a few of the standout pics. The rest are posted in the album here:

http://imgur.com/a/vA12j#0

All of the tracks in their display were on 1x1 bricks. I couldn't image the pain snapping the 1000's of tiny bricks together.

4Igv9S9.jpg

This pic is a little blurry, but you can use it as a scale for the rest of the display by comparing to the Lego Modulars. The skyscrapers really made them seem insignificant.

BUF5rav.jpg

Lego really need to produce a modular level train station. This MOC was absolutely gorgeous.

VDLxex9.jpg

Some pics of the skyscrapers:

mdOEcri.jpg

5IZpmye.jpg

gIaRH3v.jpg

U7ZkEbL.jpg

Overall pic of the display. It's really hard to tell from the photo, but these buildings were huge. I'm 6'1" and the buildings towered over me.

pjqeVtL.jpg

The brick-built signs here of Homer and Dr. Pepper were outstanding:

mpZf2Yv.jpg

Back side of the display:

00LaBqz.jpg

yRKxj4E.jpg

fctvZhx.jpg

sjExnlr.jpg

So much win for that set. I think the Batmech will make a nice replacement to Lex's Power Armor now that that set is retired. That set feels like the Superman vs Lex Power Armor set expanded.

Yeah, BrickShow, Jangbricks, and just2good have been posting reviews. I swear just2good is an insider like GhostMind.

I believe Ghostmind addressed this and stated he is not an insider. It doesn't mean he doesn't know insiders though.

I went to the Henry Ford Museum two weeks ago and they had a display done by the Michigan Lego Users Group. I took a ton of photos. Here's a few of the standout pics. The rest are posted in the album here:

Wow. Those are HUGE buildings. That LUG put a fortune into building those even if they did get a LUG discount from LEGO.

Ryuuroden

All of the tracks in their display were on 1x1 bricks. I couldn't image the pain snapping the 1000's of tiny bricks together.

4Igv9S9.jpg

This pic is a little blurry, but you can use it as a scale for the rest of the display by comparing to the Lego Modulars. The skyscrapers really made them seem insignificant.

BUF5rav.jpg

Lego really need to produce a modular level train station. This MOC was absolutely gorgeous.

VDLxex9.jpg

mdOEcri.jpg

5IZpmye.jpg

gIaRH3v.jpg

U7ZkEbL.jpg

Overall pic of the display. It's really hard to tell from the photo, but these buildings were huge. I'm 6'1" and the buildings towered over me.

pjqeVtL.jpg

mpZf2Yv.jpg

00LaBqz.jpg

yRKxj4E.jpg

fctvZhx.jpg

sjExnlr.jpg

My lug has a display up right now as well. Ours is at the Columbus museum of art. We also have skyscrapers like that plus a scale of the Ohio statehouse. I guess I'll have to stop by the display and take pictures.

ghostmind

I believe Ghostmind addressed this and stated he is not an insider. It doesn't mean he doesn't know insiders though.

I'm going to "show you what's behind the curtain", so to speak.

No, I'm not an "insider". In fact none of those people (JANG, Brickshow, just2good) would fit that description. We all have sources, some of them the same, that we get information and rumors from. Actually, a lot of this information comes from people (who work for or with LEGO) or retail chain websites (suppliers, partners, retailers) who let information slip, either by accident or very much on purpose.

Some of them take this information and use it for self-promotion, and often monetary gain. Brickshow and j2g would fit that bill. Note that there is nothing wrong with that - entire industries are devoted to deriving profit from information in the world. Sometimes some of these guys take it a bit far though.

JANG is his own thing - he's not part of the rumor machine. The guy just loves LEGO, and shares that with the world. Of course he makes a profit from his Youtube channel, but he buys so much LEGO, and sells so little of it, that I think most (if not all) of his profit is reinvested back into LEGO. I have a lot of respect for JANG, which I think shows in how often I reference his reviews.

The last true "insider" was GRogall. He is (was) either a LEGO employee or someone very close to one. For years he would provide the community with all sorts of advance information (with almost 100% accuracy) and with little to no self-promotion. He just liked to share what he knew. A little over a year ago GRogall fell off the face of the planet. Either he got caught, or he left the hobby, or something else happened. I have hoped it was for a positive reason.

So back to me. I like to think of myself as a mix of GRogall and JANG. I'm not in it for the profit (in fact this hobby is very expensive as you all know), but I love to share the information that I discover with my community, as to enrich it and promote discussion. I also realize that I've become one of the posters that can influence purchases, so I try to guide other GAF'ers towards what I consider to be the "better/best" sets out there currently. I've been approached by various sites for mentions and credit on rumors, and I turn them down if they ask, because that stuff doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is bringing peace and order to the galaxy helping to keep LEGO-GAF as the Best-GAF.

jRnu2qf.jpg

4Igv9S9.jpg

BUF5rav.jpg

VDLxex9.jpg

mdOEcri.jpg

5IZpmye.jpg

gIaRH3v.jpg

U7ZkEbL.jpg

pjqeVtL.jpg

mpZf2Yv.jpg

00LaBqz.jpg

yRKxj4E.jpg

fctvZhx.jpg

sjExnlr.jpg

O____O This is amazing!

ghostmind

fctvZhx.jpg

I really like this farm!

I keep hoping with every half-year reveal, that LEGO is going to get back into the Farm subtheme.

mrkgoo

No, I'm not an "insider". In fact none of those people (JANG, Brickshow, just2good) would fit that description. We all have sources, some of them the same, that we get information and rumors from. Actually, a lot of this information comes from people (who work for or with LEGO) or retail chain websites (suppliers, partners, retailers) who let information slip, either by accident or very much on purpose.

Some of them take this information and use it for self-promotion, and often monetary gain. Brickshow and j2g would fit that bill. Note that there is nothing wrong with that - entire industries are devoted to deriving profit from information in the world. Sometimes some of these guys take it a bit far though.

JANG is his own thing - he's not part of the rumor machine. The guy just loves LEGO, and shares that with the world. Of course he makes a profit from his Youtube channel, but he buys so much LEGO, and sells so little of it, that I think most (if not all) of his profit is reinvested back into LEGO. I have a lot of respect for JANG, which I think shows in how often I reference his reviews.

The last true "insider" was GRogall. He is (was) either a LEGO employee or someone very close to one. For years he would provide the community with all sorts of advance information (with almost 100% accuracy) and with little to no self-promotion. He just liked to share what he knew. A little over a year ago GRogall fell off the face of the planet. Either he got caught, or he left the hobby, or something else happened. I have hoped it was for a positive reason.

So back to me. I like to think of myself as a mix of GRogall and JANG. I'm not in it for the profit (in fact this hobby is very expensive as you all know), but I love to share the information that I discover with my community, as to enrich it and promote discussion. I also realize that I've become one of the posters that can influence purchases, so I try to guide other GAF'ers towards what I consider to be the "better/best" sets out there currently. I've been approached by various sites for mentions and credit on rumors, and I turn them down if they ask, because that stuff doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is bringing peace and order to the galaxy helping to keep LEGO-GAF as the Best-GAF.

jRnu2qf.jpg

Nice write up! Thanks.

I'm just a casual Lego fan - i follow happenings reasonably closely but in my country it's just too expensive to partake too often in actual purchases.

I do, however, get just as excited, even if my posts do kind of get lost in the buzz.

Ravek

Banned

jRnu2qf.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't trying to start anything. I was honestly kidding/being sarcastic when I said you were an insider. Again, apologies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just snagged Benny's Spaceship at the local Meijer for $62 after discounts. It was 20% off normal price plus they had a Santa Bucks promotion where you instantly got $15 of any item about $75 if you had the coupon. Think I'll throw it in the closet until my son's birthday in next year.

Ordered the six new Toa and the spider from Walmart when they were up Tuesday, supposed to have them next week. So great to have Bionicle back.

Rootbeer

Banned
I already own two benny's spaceships but I saw my local target which had it for MSRP for months is now listing it as $129.99 on the shelf... simply LOL when I got it for $80

CrimsonN0

Even though I'm more of a Marvel fan I've always found the DC minifigures more interesting than the Marvel ones, I think because they seem to have more sculpted pieces - if Batman and the Flash can have separate helmets, why not Captain America too?
I know. I was saying a couple days ago how weird it is, Captain America, is like, the only superhero minifig without a helmet or hair.
Thinking about it, you could just recolor the Flash's helmet and put an A on it, too.
I guess, Cap came out first, but with different versions coming out, they could have added it.

Just snagged Benny's Spaceship at the local Meijer for $62 after discounts. It was 20% off normal price plus they had a Santa Bucks promotion where you instantly got $15 of any item about $75 if you had the coupon. Think I'll throw it in the closet until my son's birthday in next year.

Got a link to that coupon? That would combine well with the 25% off the AT-AT right now.

Creative ambush is $23.99 this week, so they let me match that price on another set.

That's the deal of the day! 40% off a brand new extremely hard to find, high demand set right before xmas. Congrats!

Did you have to ask manager to match? Or did they have one of those sold out you can buy this set instead signs?

That's the deal of the day! 40% off a brand new extremely hard to find, high demand set right before xmas. Congrats!

Did you have to ask manager to match? Or did they have one of those sold out you can buy this set instead signs?

They actually offered it to me without me asking. Excellent customer service.

neonglow

Is anyone starting to see empty LEGO shelves at retail stores? City and Star Wars sets seem to be the ones that are in demand here.

Rootbeer

Banned
research institute arrived. this has to be the worst packaging i've had from lego: the box had very visible slits where people could see what was inside if they wanted, and the tape was poorly applied to where i'm surprised it didn't come off.

But... at least it arrived in good condition, just in time before they discontinued it.

melike75

Neo Member

jRnu2qf.jpg

Well said. This is why I like you guys and think this is one of the best LEGO communities around. I mentioned before that ive been reading this thread for years and even when I drop away from the hobby I still catch up on everything written here due to people like you ghostmind with this kind of attitude (up to May in OT3 at the moment). Thanks to everyone for making this such a great community!

A lot of places seem to dwell on sales and prices and how much % discount they can get off a set by combining sales with coupons and specials etc. That sort of talk is great but when its misbalanced and thats all thats discussed is when it seems that people are more focused on the best deal than the actual hobby itself.

(Not talking about the Frozen set discussion above of course! Its just sometimes when that is ALL that is talked about and it gets a little bit like its all about the money. Not here though. And thats great)

That is awesome. That is full on Lego porn. My wife has been encouraging me to do a build of my own instead of kits.

Look at regular kits as fun classes. Really fun things to put together, but they also teach you techniques and ideas for you to implement into your own creations. Then get to MOCing. It is so rewarding and so much fun.

And never be discouraged by seeing crazy awesome ideas others come up with. Be inspired. As cliche as it sounds, when it comes to MOCs, everything is awesome. The unbridled creativity that comes from it is the most rewarding part of LEGO as a hobby for me. I know that I will never be as good as many others, especially some members on here, but it is so much fun that I just don't care. It is just everyone having fun and encouraging others to do the same, and everything you see others create is an inspiration. You can learn from everything.

melike75

Neo Member
Hey is BLOCKS magazine available digitally? I would buy a pdf/cbz/epub in a heartbeat but last time I saw it was print only.

ghostmind

Two commercials featuring 2015 Rebels and Microfighters sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4cCqrX2KYc

love that Inquisitor

Nice showcases for those sets - I'm looking forward to trying out the rapid-fire stud launcher, though it won't be hard to find with all of the sets it is in for 1H.

Looks like I will still be travelling on January 1st, so no UCS Slave I or Detective's Office for me until the 3rd. Hope my local LEGO store doesn't sell out of their initial stock by then.

Ravek

Banned

love that Inquisitor

If only flick missiles actually worked like that.

Nice showcases for those sets - I'm looking forward to trying out the rapid-fire stud launcher, though it won't be hard to find with all of the sets it is in for 1H.

Looks like I will still be travelling on January 1st, so no UCS Slave I or Detective's Office for me until the 3rd. Hope my local LEGO store doesn't sell out of their initial stock by then.

Good luck!

R-User!

Look at regular kits as fun classes. Really fun things to put together, but they also teach you techniques and ideas for you to implement into your own creations. Then get to MOCing. It is so rewarding and so much fun.

And never be discouraged by seeing crazy awesome ideas others come up with. Be inspired. As cliche as it sounds, when it comes to MOCs, everything is awesome. The unbridled creativity that comes from it is the most rewarding part of LEGO as a hobby for me. I know that I will never be as good as many others, especially some members on here, but it is so much fun that I just don't care. It is just everyone having fun and encouraging others to do the same, and everything you see others create is an inspiration. You can learn from everything.

True true... Sniff

Zerojul

Anyone in the UK that can get BLOCKS magazine, I did an interview and feature for my batcave which is in the latest issue #3

Blocks issue three by Brickset, on Flickr
Congrats, wetwired ! Your Batcave is stunning, no wonder they wanted to an interview with you. It's an art piece.

love that Inquisitor

I loved everything in that commercial. I shouldn't have watched rebels :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom