• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have too many unopened LEGO sets...

I've got at least one set that has sat around long enough that it's pretty valuable now (monster fighters zombies), its not great I never wanted to be the kind of person that bought stuff just to have it sit in its unopened boxes, but its going to be weird opening it knowing that its worth so much compared to when I picked it up.

I've got at least one set that has sat around long enough that it's pretty valuable now (monster fighters zombies), its not great I never wanted to be the kind of person that bought stuff just to have it sit in its unopened boxes, but its going to be weird opening it knowing that its worth so much compared to when I picked it up.

It sounds like a case of you got it just to get it, and lucked into it being a set that is very hard to get and thus increasing in value quickly.

Ponn

Banned
Yay my wonderful sister got me a $100 walmart gift card for christmas. I'm going to save it and use it to buy Darkseid Invasion and Gorilla Grodd as soon as they pop up on Walmart.

Also ordered a White Warg from Bricklink for $9 with shipping. I'm ok not having all the dwarves but I will eventually get Battle of Five Armies and then I will be done with Middle Earth.

Kyari

They're a blessing and a curse! My flat is too small for them and I don't have the time.... but I really want the Detective Office and most of the new DC sets so that excuse can only stretch so far.

hunchback

Just finished building the Architecture Eiffel Tower en Trevi Fountain and I have to say that the Eiffel tower is one of the most interesting LEGO builds I've had so far. Very clever set, and really good looking to boot.

I'm ready for 2015.

I really like those display tower's. Where did you pick those up at? I received my two sets. I had to send the Haunted house back though. Someone had opened the box and instructions. Amazon was really cool about it. I sat down and sorted the Grand Emporium pieces last night. I'm going to watch Christmas cartoons and build tonight.
I have a couple of questions about doing your own build. Do you use graph paper or a computer program to mock up your building? I know you can't get a exact count but is there a way to get a rough idea of how many bricks you will need? Last question I promise. What are the best set for Grey bricks? I'm gonna need alot.

I was just out doing some Xmas shopping and came across some Lego deals.

My local Meijers had Season 2 Mixels for $2 each. Despite my indifference to the line, I picked up the entire series because the price was too good to pass up.

Next, my local Target had the 4 minifig box promo with Superboy in it as leftovers from the promo from several weeks ago. They just threw them on a random shelf in the toy isle. I bought the last 3 boxes they had since they rang up as $8 each. That's a pretty lucky deal. I was in the right place at the right time for that one!

mrkgoo

I was just out doing some Xmas shopping and came across some Lego deals.

My local Meijers had Season 2 Mixels for $2 each. Despite my indifference to the line, I picked up the entire series because the price was too good to pass up.

Next, my local Target had the 4 minifig box promo with Superboy in it as leftovers from the promo from several weeks ago. They just threw them on a random shelf in the toy isle. I bought the last 3 boxes they had since they rang up as $8 each. That's a pretty lucky deal. I was in the right place at the right time for that one!

Nice find! It seems like series 2 was kind of short shipped or super popular in my country and weren't around for long. I missed out on 6/9 of them to complete my collection :(

I really like those display tower's. Where did you pick those up at? I received my two sets. I had to send the Haunted house back though. Someone had opened the box and instructions. Amazon was really cool about it. I sat down and sorted the Grand Emporium pieces last night. I'm going to watch Christmas cartoons and build tonight.
I have a couple of questions about doing your own build. Do you use graph paper or a computer program to mock up your building? I know you can't get a exact count but is there a way to get a rough idea of how many bricks you will need? Last question I promise. What are the best set for Grey bricks? I'm gonna need alot.

Lego has Lego Digital Designer which simply lets you build with an unlimited number of parts. But it's always easier to sit and play around with actual parts. LDD can generate a shopping list but you need to jump through a few hoops.

To get loads of a few specific pieces, there is never a set that's cost effective. You can buy any number of pieces through Lego's own site (pick a brick) or through private sellers at Bricklink. Lego has overall higher prices but the parts are pristine as in a new set and they don't charge extra for rare colours. On Bricklink it's supply and demand, you can find any piece ever created, some are very cheap but some are extremely overpriced so you need to do some comparing. It's overall very safe, though.

ghostmind

Did they ever retire sets as quickly in the past or is this a recent thing?

This time of year has always been a culling period lor LEGO, but never to this extent.

I had heard that some major retailers were asking LEGO to reduce the number of available sets they offer, as shelf-space is becoming dominated by LEGO, with its current level of popularity. I would think TLG doesn't want to produce fewer new sets, so one way to accomplish this request would be reducing the lifespan of older sets.

This time of year has always been a culling period lor LEGO, but never to this extent.

I had heard that some major retailers were asking LEGO to reduce the number of available sets they offer, as shelf-space is becoming dominated by LEGO, with its current level of popularity. I would think TLG doesn't want to produce fewer new sets, so one way to accomplish this request would be reducing the lifespan of older sets.

Yeah Lego wouldn't want to stop putting out lots of sets but I guess it means we just have to pick up sets sooner rather than later or risk having it go oop and pay aftermarket prices instead.

I wish the T-Rex was made of Lego as to me the giant mold is kinda cheapish but I guess it would be too many pieces if they did that. Would be cool to have a stand alone, full on Lego T Rex jurrasic world set though.

It sounds like a case of you got it just to get it, and lucked into it being a set that is very hard to get and thus increasing in value quickly.

yeah, that is pretty much the size of it. I think I've just got into one of those phases where I've spent a lot more time researching and buying lego (and everything else come to that) than I have actually enjoying it. Next year i'm going to build everything and buy less im still going to be picking up that Jurassic world stuff though, looks awesome)

I didn't get any dinosaurs last time, I'm going to try and get them all this time. My son will love them.

He turned 4 today and I got him some City sets. He loved them.

ghostmind

xxxGbvH.jpg

Looking good, though I'm hoping for more than just a rehash of the 2012 Dinos, plus the D-Rex.

This is also consistent with the molds that had leaked out a month or so ago.

Looks like there is a new retailer catalog out there - wonder what else it contains.

xxxGbvH.jpg

Looking good, though I'm hoping for more than just a rehash of the 2012 Dinos, plus the D-Rex.

Looks like there is a new retailer catalog out there - wonder what else it contains.

Would be nice if there was at least 1 new mould introduced. I don't mind them reusing the same moulds. The prints seem to be different. This gives those that missed out on them a second chance to get them. I think I have all of them ones from Dinos theme. I'll most likely get all of these. The Pterodactyl and the tiny one that has no moving parts are my least favorite from the Dinos theme.

I'm speculating, but I think speculators will buy up a lot of those sets seeing how much the Dino sets went up in price. See what I did there? :)

Another Asian colored minifig (not sure what that means though). I just posted about that recently. I think I forgot about short stack from Indiana Jones.

ghostmind

This is the info I had before on these sets:

Jurassic World
Set 1 - $25
Set 2 - $40
Set 3 - $60
Set 4 - $90
Set 5 - $120

*prices are rough estimates

According to this catalog, there are now 6 sets however.

EDIT: And i'm certainly digging the 'blue & grey' color theme much more than the Dino 'yellow & grey'.

Ryuuroden

Would be nice if there was at least 1 new mould introduced. I don't mind them reusing the same moulds. The prints seem to be different. This gives those that missed out on them a second chance to get them. I think I have all of them ones from Dinos theme. I'll most likely get all of these. The Pterodactyl and the tiny one that has no moving parts are my least favorite from the Dinos theme.

I'm speculating, but I think speculators will buy up a lot of those sets seeing how much they went up in price. See what I did there? :)

Another Asian colored minifig (not sure what that means though). I just posted about that recently. I think I forgot about short stack from Indiana Jones.

I need them to release a set with the Elephant mold from the Adventure series. That elephant is way too expensive for me to consider buying on its own. The set it was in sold for less.

I need them to release a set with the Elephant mold from the Adventure series. That elephant is way too expensive for me to consider buying on its own. The set it was in sold for less.

I'd like one too, but seeing that LEGO has been making updates to a lot of their animal moulds I'm hopeful we'll see a new elephant eventually. I bought a few alligators a year or two ago. I like the new ones better, but I don't mind having some "retro" alligators with the new ones.

Santa, I would like for LEGO to make a zoo theme in the next year or two. Thanks.

Got 3 of the 'Emerald Express' mini lego creator sets. Didn't like the kaboose much so I just built the front and two passenger carts instead (and added a bumper at the end of the last one). Man, I really love this. The front is so cute yet so simple.

I need to buy more mini sets. I don't have that much room for Lego sets these days, so these would be pretty ideal for me. Also they are pretty cheap while still looking really nice too.

xxxGbvH.jpg

well.gif

Meanwhile, I searched far and wide today and I came up with the new Gorilla Grodd set in Fresno. Though I think the Clovis targets are holding out the new Star Wars sets cause I saw only the senate commando battlepack.

Rootbeer

Banned
Meanwhile, I searched far and wide today and I came up with the new Gorilla Grodd set in Fresno. Though I think the Clovis targets are holding out the new Star Wars sets cause I saw only the senate commando battlepack.

congrats! if I stumbled upon it, i'd buy in a heartbeat. Maybe I'll find it next week, we'll see.

I'm not going to go out of my way looking though. I'm going to make a pretty big January order on S@H which may include it.

Still trying to iron out what my order will include... so many items... so many expensive items.

congrats! if I stumbled upon it, i'd buy in a heartbeat. Maybe I'll find it next week, we'll see.

I'm not going to go out of my way looking though. I'm going to make a pretty big January order on S@H which may include it.

Still trying to iron out what my order will include... so many items... so many expensive items.

I know I want to get Slave 1 as soon as it's available, space be damned.

Man that Frozen Ice Castle and new Arial set are really in demand. I saw several the day before at Target and went back today and they were all gone. Then again I have a lot of scalpers around here.

Ponn

Banned
I know Jan is chock full but anyone else excited for the Birds set? The reception just seems really lukewarm for it.

kitzkozan

JANG reviews CMF Series 13:

http://youtu.be/rDKiOYhVHc8

This seems like a really strong series, just like Jang said. :] I'm actually tempted to get them all, but we will see. :p My #1 pick will be the galaxy trooper since he bears the Galaxy Squad insignia. Then, it's a tie between many great minifigs (the king, unicorn girl, goblin, Cthulu inspired alien, evil wizard, female samurai, hot dog dude).

We just had a great Lego event at the store. We spent a few hours building a diorama to house a Hoth battle. The owner had also brought out a ton of old cool sets to stock the shelves for Christmas. We're talking Echo Base, the City farm set, old Ninjago, old Star Wars battlepacks, Dino t-rex and tric, the Harry Potter castle and bus, some Belville, and some tiny Pirates 2009 sets. And more stuff I'm forgetting. I settled for the Mill Raid set along with a single Pirates soldier set, and got a discount for helping out. Lots of fun overall!

We just had a great Lego event at the store. We spent a few hours building a diorama to house a Hoth battle. The owner had also brought out a ton of old cool sets to stock the shelves for Christmas. We're talking Echo Base, the City farm set, old Ninjago, old Star Wars battlepacks, Dino t-rex and tric, the Harry Potter castle and bus, some Belville, and some tiny Pirates 2009 sets. And more stuff I'm forgetting. I settled for the Mill Raid set along with a single Pirates soldier set, and got a discount for helping out. Lots of fun overall!

dammmmmnnn Mill Raid, that's the one with all the farm animals right? dem Chickens!!! i really wanted this one and found it at an old toy store the other month but before i could return and snatch it up the dude had sold it :(((

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Toys R Us has all galaxy squad sets at 50% off
again.

Is there a reason these are 50% off? I'm about to order the Eradicator Mech and Swarm Interceptor (along with the Star Wars AT-RT Walker). Seems like too good of a deal to pass up on. I almost feel bad for not getting the bigger sets just for the cheap pieces.

Is there a reason these are 50% off? I'm about to order the Eradicator Mech and Swarm Interceptor (along with the Star Wars AT-RT Walker). Seems like too good of a deal to pass up on. I almost feel bad for not getting the bigger sets just for the cheap pieces.

Probably to clear em out to make room for the 2015 sets. I know I want the Galactic Titan even though I already got the got damn Batman set yesterday D:

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Probably to clear em out to make room for the 2015 sets. I know I want the Galactic Titan even though I already got the got damn Batman set yesterday D:

Ah okay. Such a good deal makes me skeptical. Haha

Edit: Woohoo! Just placed my order! These are the first LEGO sets I've bought in probably 5 years and I'm so excited.
Equally excited that I got 3 decent-sized sets that I really like for just $54 after tax and shipping!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY GEEZ TRU THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M SO GLAD I DIDN'T SPENT $90 ON THE TITAN DURING BLACK FRIDAY AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I CAN AFFORD IIIIIIITTTT

*cough*

Today is a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom