• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol what a difference a day makes (and 50% off). The Galaxy squad section at my TRU was obliterated from everything but a lone Galaxtic Titan which I did pick up.

Ryuuroden

welp, mostly finished a prototype of one of the 4 main spires for the top of Orthanc, getting the curves the way I wanted it took some time but I think I have the design where I want it. Now I have to go to The Lego Store and hope they still have 2x4 black bricks because I need a crapload of them to complete this part. Only part of the build that I can use 2 wide bricks and I have like none because I totally didn't consider that I might need that size since I needed to make sure there was room in the interior and so on I only purchased 1 wide bricks. I had only a small bag of those in black when I started the build. Each spire uses like 60 1x2 black cheese slopes too and those are like 7-10 cents a pop >.<.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is the TRU 50% off sale in the US? I'm only missing one GS set and I'll have actually completed my first ever Lego theme.

Even if they get them in, they're going to sit in the back until Jan 1st. We've already been briefed that the new stuff has a hard street date for us but if that changes I'll post an update. As it stands no more 2015 sets will go on sale until 2015.

Well I still gotta try. It's my duty as a LEGO fiend!

And yes, I finally did get someone on the phone about 30 mins before they closed. They reconfirmed the strong hold date for Jan 1st on those sets, which is fine with me -- i just don't want them out earlier than I'm anticipating which would have some of them selling out before I can get there!

I plan on ordering Slave I and a few other things online around 10pm on the 31st, but I'm going in-store to pick up some other stuff and hopefully feel up some minifig packs

LEGO stores are confirmed to be selling Series 13 on Jan 1st, right?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You are writing "Stop it", but your coming here again and again speaks differently. You know you want it. If you feel the need to put in another Galaxy Squad order, then that just means your last order was not complete.

Hahaha. This thread will be the death of me.

Lol what a difference a day makes (and 50% off). The Galaxy squad section at my TRU was obliterated from everything but a lone Galaxtic Titan which I did pick up.

What's funny is my TRU Galaxy Squad area looked almost untouched. TRU was flooded with people but there was nobody looking at the Galaxy Squad sets. They were kind of hidden though, so maybe it was that.

Ryuuroden: I only have one question, what would you do to someone if they just came into your room and tip your Orthanc over and then SMASH it to a billion pieces?

;)

edit: for real though, i'd be scared shitless if i were you to knock it over by mistake or something after all that work!! You must be walking around in there like on eggshells... i mean it looks sturdy but still..

Well I still gotta try. It's my duty as a LEGO fiend!

And yes, I finally did get someone on the phone about 30 mins before they closed. They reconfirmed the strong hold date for Jan 1st on those sets, which is fine with me -- i just don't want them out earlier than I'm anticipating which would have some of them selling out before I can get there!

I plan on ordering Slave I and a few other things online around 10pm on the 31st, but I'm going in-store to pick up some other stuff and hopefully feel up some minifig packs

LEGO stores are confirmed to be selling Series 13 on Jan 1st, right?
I actually don't know what's up with CMF 13, I thought they were a mid-Jan or February release but someone came in today with some that they'd just bought from Target, so I assume Lego stores'll have them on the first?

Rootbeer

Banned
I actually don't know what's up with CMF 13, I thought they were a mid-Jan or February release but someone came in today with some that they'd just bought from Target, so I assume Lego stores'll have them on the first?

One of the Targets near me had 4 fully stocked displays of series 12 (yeah, 4 different isles, it was impressive) on sale for $2.50 a pack. Was pretty awesome. Wondering if I'll get lucky and they'll put out some Series 13 at that price.

We'll see later today!

One of the Targets near me had 4 fully stocked displays of series 12 (yeah, 4 different isles, it was impressive) on sale for $2.50 a pack. Was pretty awesome. Wondering if I'll get lucky and they'll put out some Series 13 at that price.

We'll see later today!

Thanks for the info! Was that the Emeryville location? I'll have to check it out after work tomorrow.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
grabbed Research Institute at LEGO Store yesterday. Didn't realize it was only $20. At that price.. between the dino and the cool exclusive pieces it's almost a no-brainer.

they had a bunch of tumblers in...... ugh. I want it so bad. But $200 when I already AM getting Slave I next Thursday and WANT to get Detective's Office. I suppose if they still have it next week (yeah right) Detective Office will be around for a while.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the info! Was that the Emeryville location? I'll have to check it out after work tomorrow.
Downtown SF!

This is only about 1/6th the S12 they have, lol.

fAitQ3b.jpg

Downtown SF!

This is only about 1/6th the S12 they have, lol.

fAitQ3b.jpg

Holy hell!! lol I'm about a 10 minute walk to that location. I might just go there during my lunch. Thanks for the pic.

Did you scan the Minifigure cubes? I heard reports that some Targets have them marked down to $8.

Rootbeer

Banned
Holy hell!! lol I'm about a 10 minute walk to that location. I might just go there during my lunch. Thanks for the pic.

Did you scan the Minifigure cubes? I heard reports that some Targets have them marked down to $8.

No but I'd certainly buy a couple more if that were the case... i'll scan them tomorrow. Let me know if they ring up cheap if you go today.

Ah. Are they not random then? What figures? Are they all DC themed?

Seems like Superboy is the one highest in demand of the 4 minifigs. It's already in double digits on Bricklink.

Green Ninja is second, but surprisingly price on Bricklink currently isn't that high for some sellers. I expect once the lower prices sell through it will be considerably higher.

Other 2 you can buy at bargain prices off Bricklink.

It's a great deal for 4 minifigs if you really want the Superboy minifig or the Green Ninja.
If you can find it for $8 as some here have, it's a steal. I''d buy at least 4 more of them for $8.

Ryuuroden

Was at the Lego Store at Easton Town Center in Columbus today, they had the larger white windows, glass for them, 1x8 white tile, 2x2 tan tile, 2x2 red tile, 1x2 dark purple tile, 4x6 black plates, 1x2 black plates, 1x4 reddish brown tile, 1x4 med green tile, 1x2 dark red bricks, 1x1 light blue bricks, 1x6 light blue grey bricks and sets wise they have the Tumbler in stock as well as the Research Institute. Just posting for anyone who lives in the central Ohio region.

I went there hoping to find 2x4 black bricks because I finally need them for my Orthanc only for them not to have them for like the first time ever -.- So I ordered like 50 1x5x4 black panel pieces and several dozen 2x6 and 2x8 black bricks from bricklink in order to do my spires. I also ordered 200 more 1x2 black cheese slopes and a bunch of hinge connectors and small plates to restock my supplies.

Kipp

Just finished building my Galaxy Squad Space Swarmer! That was the first set I've built in probably five years and it was every bit as much fun as I imagined it would be. I'd forgotten how shiny and new and amazing new LEGO pieces were. Also, the new pieces (which there were a ton of, since I've clearly been out of the LEGO game for too long) are fantastic. Oh, and the minifigures these days are incredible! The molding and printing are far, far above how it used to be. Absolutely fantastic.
Edit: Oh, right. And the set itself is super cool too. From the box it looked all right, but seeing it in real life, it's just super cool.

I didn't think it was possible, but now I'm even more excited for the new and bigger sets I'll be getting.

The title of this thread is very relevant to me right now.

Oh, also, I have a few pictures incoming!

We'll see later today!

Sonnuva...I'm envious. Stopped by a Target by my work during lunch. They had Series 13 and Series 12 out. All were at $3.99 price so I passed. I'll give my money to my local LEGO store since they've been very nice to me (and the price is the same). They also had 1 of those minifig cubes left, but it was still $15. I'll let someone else enjoy it as I have a few already. I was just looking for the $8 price. :)

Just finished building my Galaxy Squad Space Swarmer! That was the first set I've built in probably five years and it was every bit as much fun as I imagined it would be. I'd forgotten how shiny and new and amazing new LEGO pieces were. Also, the new pieces (which there were a ton of, since I've clearly been out of the LEGO game for too long) are fantastic. Oh, and the minifigures these days are incredible! The molding and printing are far, far above how it used to be. Absolutely fantastic.

I didn't think it was possible, but now I'm even more excited for the new and bigger sets I'll be getting.

That is a great little set. I would have bought a ton of those if they put one of the human minifigs instead of the robot minifig. Luckily Galaxy Squad demand on Bricklink isn't too high so I was able to beef up my Galaxy Squad troops of colors I was lacking.

Eeewww! Which is the front end? #brickcentral_alien by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

Kipp

That is a great little set. I would have bought a ton of those if they put one of the human minifigs instead of the robot minifig. Luckily Galaxy Squad demand on Bricklink isn't too high so I was able to beef up my Galaxy Squad troops of colors I was lacking.

Eeewww! Which is the front end? #brickcentral_alien by Bent Bricks, on Flickr

It's slightly hard to believe that the demand for those minifigs is low (though it's probably because the sets have been on sale a lot it seems) since they're such high quality and just really cool in general. But hey, better for the people like us who really like them!

And that's pretty good. Haha

Kipp

All right, here are my pictures! I made an album so that you guys don't have to scroll past them all until we hit the next page.

A handful of pictures of the Space Swarmer set and some pictures of a couple spaceship MOCs I've made in the past few days.

I know most of this stuff is pretty standard to you guys, but I still felt compelled to share. Haha

Why is my TRU the ONLY ONE that NEVER puts Galaxy Squad on sale?! Or was it like a one-day thing?

It was Sunday only, unfortunately.

All right, here are my pictures! I made an album so that you guys don't have to scroll past them all until we hit the next page.

A handful of pictures of the Space Swarmer set and some pictures of a couple spaceship MOCs I've made in the past few days.

I know most of this stuff is pretty standard to you guys, but I still felt compelled to share. Haha

It was Sunday only, unfortunately.

Share away. As long as you have fun it's all good. I like the Battlestar Galactica Viper looking one. That's some heavy depth of field you have going on and the colors are pretty sharp. Definitely not a phone camera.

neonglow

I was at this store yesterday. I scanned the cubes and they were either $16.99 or $17.99. I left disappointed. I got a couple already so I didn't buy any.

LaNaranja

The Star Wars Advent Calendar has been pretty great. The tiny ships all look adorable and the guns shooting snowballs is a nice touch.

2711064-lego_snow.jpg

Kipp

Share away. As long as you have fun it's all good. I like the Battlestar Galactica Viper looking one. That's some heavy depth of field you have going on and the colors are pretty sharp. Definitely not a phone camera.

Thanks! Glad you like it!
And I was using my Canon 60D with 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens. It's not the world's greatest lens, but it's so convenient...
The lighting wasn't so great, so the photos didn't turn out as well as I would've liked, but it works. Haha

Ugh. Seriously..."I am not going to buy the DC sets because they look kind of dumb and the figures will just end up in a ziploc bag in the closet"

"Oh wait...is that a new cowl??"

Awesome justification. :p
Hope you have fun with the set!

mrkgoo

Edit: Oh, right. And the set itself is super cool too. From the box it looked all right, but seeing it in real life, it's just super cool.

I know a lot of people like to freon upon where Lego has gone with more complex and unique pieces and licensing and so on, but in my opinion Lego is te best it has ever been.

The new pieces and colours provide for even more possibilities and licensing just gives more options for collecting and playing. Sure if they were at the expense of other lines it might be a concern but to me lego is better than ever.

Kipp

I know a lot of people like to freon upon where Lego has gone with more complex and unique pieces and licensing and so on, but in my opinion Lego is te best it has ever been.

The new pieces and colours provide for even more possibilities and licensing just gives more options for collecting and playing. Sure if they were at the expense of other lines it might be a concern but to me lego is better than ever.

Agreed. I dislike it when Lego makes a new mold that's really specific to a certain set (or theme) as much as the next guy, but Lego has come out with some really great pieces to expand upon the basic bricks.

ghostmind

Some summer SuperHero rumors have surfaced, but nothing firm:

- at least 2 more DC sets, including a "Jokerland" set and a "Batman Water Chase"set
- at least one Spider-Man set with Sandman
- multiple Ant-Man sets (this had already been rumored however)

Btw, these rumors are coming from just2good, but he's doing such a good job promoting himself that he doesn't need my help.

Ryuuroden

Yeah, one of the things I have noticed is the so called more complex and unique pieces have opened up many more forms of construction because so many of them provide new ways of building besides up and down with all the connection points everywhere. At the same time LEGO makes sure they are all interchangeable with old parts. A good example is some of the LEGO vehicles of today. They are actually made up of more parts than they used to be and have more detail. I have looked at some of my 80's and 90's LEGO city vehicles and they are so simplistic compared to the city vehicles coming out now. LEGO went through a short period where they made stuff too simple with molds that were practically the entire vehicle and that's when they were going bankrupt and then they realized during that time that they were going the wrong direction. They have pretty much gone back to more and more small pieces and parts with a vengeance since then. They have lots of new parts and colors coming out each year but these new parts and colors can be used in multiple sets unlike that short period of time. I think its more important to look at how useful the shape is rather than the color because its the manufacturing of the mold that costs LEGO money. So even if it's a color that you know you won't use a lot like some of the neon greens and so on, the actual wings and stuff you see in sets like Galaxy squad are all over the place in multiple themes just different colors. All the growth in minifigure accessories is supported by the cost of the CMF packets which I think allow them to make more special pieces and cover costs because of their popularity. LEGO group would not be making them if they were not making money and we know that they produce enough to at least cover costs and the series always sell out at your regular locations. You can still find old ones in the wild but its very random and oftentimes marked up. The CMF series now vanish before the next series even comes out which is amazing and I am glad because I love all the new accessories we get from them like the steaks and paint rollers and skies and waiter platters and paint brushes etc. A few years ago I was able to find markdowns pretty easily on sets anywhere but now it is so much harder and when I do find them I have to go to the poorest of the poor neighborhoods to find shops with them on markdown. My local grocery stores and Christmas pop up stores no longer mark LEGO at 50% discounts after Christmas, now its 50% off on all toys but LEGO because they know if they wait they can sell them easy.

Ponn

Banned
I forgot the poster that was asking about the X-men Blackbird set and i'm sorry got to it late but i was having a bad weekend with my migraines and throwing up most of the weekend so it was rough for me to put anything together. Anyways, here she is.

I know there hasn't been much talk about this set and i'm assuming its the same problem I had, seems like alot for such a small piece count and a few repeat figs. I would definitely recommend getting it on sale at the very least but the cost is for sure coming from the large pieces. There is alot of them, thats not necessarily a valid excuse or a plus but it is the reason. it makes for a very sleek looking jet with swooshability off the scale. The negative is with all the large slick pieces, fins, cockpit and shells there is like no SNOT work and it doesn't look very Lego-like.

There was a couple neat builds on it, like the turbine builds that felt alot like miniature Quinjet turbine builds. The Sentinel is also pretty cool and i like these buildable big figs. The printed pieces are a huge plus to the set. Storm is a great fig, Classic Wolverine is nice and the alternate Magneto is nice and appreciate the hair piece with the option for him to hold his helmet. Cyclops....meh.

Here is a comparison shot with the Quinjet which is something i haven't seen any reviews do wihich some might be interested. As you can see its actually pretty big for the set size but again its because alot of big parts.

Overall i'm glad i got it, and if you liked Day's of Future Past you will probably really dig this set. Looking at it i get depressed again knowing Lego is going to continue giving the X-Men the shaft and we will continue to miss alot of cool figs we should be getting. This is a four seater and I want some X-men to put in it like Rogue, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey (I got...um...one, but you know an official one that isn't SDCC overpriced).

Side note got an email from Lego that floored me. I ordered a Research Institute when they popped up on that one day and it seems like shipping got delayed during transit so it won't arrive till after Christmas. No big deal but Lego must have been keeping track and they emailed me an apology and said they are sending me a $10 gift card to make up for it. Also if I wanted a custom apology letter from them written by Santa for whoever the gift was for to call them and they would send one. Now THAT is customer service.

Kipp

Brickset reviewed the Detective's Office:

http://brickset.com/article/13564/review-10246-detective-s-office

No stickers! All of the lettering on the windows is printed!!

That set is so awesome I can't handle it. That Pool sign especially.

Side note got an email from Lego that floored me. I ordered a Research Institute when they popped up on that one day and it seems like shipping got delayed during transit so it won't arrive till after Christmas. No big deal but Lego must have been keeping track and they emailed me an apology and said they are sending me a $10 gift card to make up for it. Also if I wanted a custom apology letter from them written by Santa for whoever the gift was for to call them and they would send one. Now THAT is customer service.

That is so awesome!
Nice review, by the way!

LaNaranja

I forgot the poster that was asking about the X-men Blackbird set and i'm sorry got to it late but i was having a bad weekend with my migraines and throwing up most of the weekend so it was rough for me to put anything together. Anyways, here she is.

Thanks! I had been thinking about getting it as a gift. The ship is a lot bigger than the box and piece count lets on. The Sentinel in particular also looks great. Anyway I ended up getting one of the Lone Rangers sets that was on clearance instead. I will definitely check out the X-Men set if/when it goes on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom