• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Here is my new update in all its glory. Getting closer to the finish line, at least for the exterior.

15887762377_2692d42dc0_h.jpg

16071593281_e6da33ec96_h.jpg

For those who are new, this is a large project I started back in July to build a minifig scale Orthanc MOC with full interior. I have been occasionally updating the forum with pictures. This is probably the final photo update there will be although who knows I may post more.

Also, It is about a foot from the ceiling now, It is just over 7 feet tall so should finish at around 7 feet 10 inches or so when done.

Here is my new update in all its glory. Getting closer to the finish line, at least for the exterior.

For those who are new, this is a large project I started back in July to build a minifig scale Orthanc MOC with full interior. I have been occasionally updating the forum with pictures. This is probably the final photo update there will be although who knows I may post more.

Also, It is about a foot from the ceiling now, It is just over 7 feet tall so should finish at around 7 feet 10 inches or so when done.

That's amazing, I love the details on the base. I have a feeling that might cost as much as most cars though lol

ruxtpin

Banned

But the real question is... Can it swoosh?

This is incredible! How many hours did you put into it per week?

Ryuuroden

This is incredible! How many hours did you put into it per week?

I honestly wish I kept track now but I did a quick calculation of how many hours it would be if I averaged about 10 hours a week on it which is what I was doing at minimum and it would be at least 240 hours now.

I watched seasons 1-6 of castle twice while building, seasons 1-3 of the newsroom, half of Game of Thrones, 3 seasons of Person of Interest and 2 seasons of the Good Wife, while building, oh and 2 seasons of Dr Who and every single Buckeye Football game this year.

Ryuuroden

I'd imagine your next project, if you will have such, will be much, much more colorful?

In any case, pretty impressive.

Usually my projects are much more colorful. I usually do modular projects. This one was part for love of LoTR and part for I don't use black for anything else, yuuus, perfect project!
I do know wetwired is going to see all the black and be like "motherfucker, I needed that for the batcave"

Whoa. Impressive. Are you hiding behind it in that photo?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Absolutely insane. This is my first time seeing it (I guess I wasn't around for any of the previous updates, but I'd seen you mention it a few times) and I'm blown away.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do for the interiors!

Most impressive.

Kipp

HOLY GEEZ TRU THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M SO GLAD I DIDN'T SPENT $90 ON THE TITAN DURING BLACK FRIDAY AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I CAN AFFORD IIIIIIITTTT

*cough*

Today is a good day.

Nice! Glad someone else was able to pick something up from this sale too! I was tempted to get either the Titan or Bug Obliterator, but I shouldn't be spending much money and I'm already planning to place an order when the new sets come out (gotta get that mini AT-DP), so I decided it's probably best if I skip it. Haha

Ryuuroden

Oh, one more question. Do you have any idea how much that tower weights? Can't be very light...

It weighs a lot. Eventually I'll weigh it in total.

Absolutely insane. This is my first time seeing it (I guess I wasn't around for any of the previous updates, but I'd seen you mention it a few times) and I'm blown away.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do for the interiors!

Heres a link to the album with all my previous updates, lots of closeups and some of the already finished interiors. After I finished the Palantir room I stopped working on the interiors and switched to just finishing the exterior although I did do the wiring for the LED lighting of every interior floor as I went. My flickr account also has albums of my other projects and LEGO room.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58882944@N05/sets/72157646128982595/

Now, when I finish it and am able to get a hold of a photography studio site where I can take pictures of it I need to find someone in the area with the LEGO companies version so I can take some pictures of them together. I have two of the official sets but they both got dismantled for parts for this.

Kipp

Heres a link to the album with all my previous updates, lots of closeups and some of the already finished interiors. After I finished the Palantir room I stopped working on the interiors and switched to just finishing the exterior although I did do the wiring for the LED lighting of every interior floor as I went. My flickr account also has albums of my other projects and LEGO room.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58882944@N05/sets/72157646128982595/

Now, when I finish it and am able to get a hold of a photography studio site where I can take pictures of it I need to find someone in the area with the LEGO companies version so I can take some pictures of them together. I have two of the official sets but they both got dismantled for parts for this.

Very cool! Thank you!

I'm especially looking forward to that comparison picture. Haha

Rootbeer

Banned
can't even get my LEGO store to answer the phone, they are supposed to be open until 11pm tonight. Hate the holidays >.<

Must find out if they received any of the 2015 sets so I can make a trip out there tomorrow.

How cruel to have double VIP right as these are trickling into retail!

The Galaxy Squad urge is GREAT!

Best get it while it's on sales. After it's gone, you won't be able to get any of the sets below MSRP. The minifigs aren't too expensive on Bricklink if that's all you want. Seems like demand is low for the minifigs. All the better for me to buy them cheaply. Bwahaha!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Best theme of last year. Get it while the getting is good.

If you need help prioritizing, get Hive Crawler, Vermin Vaporizer, and Bug Obliterator before any of the others. Those are the musts.

But dat $55 Galactic Titan at TRU...I'm drooling even though I got it.

I've never been a fan of the Star Slicer set, but for $20 I'm tempted.

But dat $55 Galactic Titan at TRU...I'm drooling even though I got it.

I've never been a fan of the Star Slicer set, but for $20 I'm tempted.

$55 for Titan is fantastic. Well worth it for that price. Even if I was disappointed with it in the end, it was still solid. And for that price, damn!

Star Slicer was the least of the series for me, but again, for that price it is fantastic. And it was a TRU and LEGO Store exclusive, so it is harder to find.

Experien

i want to buy more Galaxy Squad but I have all the blue team, just not sure if I want any of the other team. I do really love the minifigs.

Kipp

Stop it guys. I already got the only two sets that I really wanted. Don't make me start wanting to put in another Galaxy Squad order.

Also, on another note, I started building another spaceship MOC because my hype for the Galaxy Squad sets was too much. It's definitely my favorite thing I've built so far! I'm really looking forward to sharing it when it's done.

Question though: How on earth am I supposed to close off this type of cockpit in a sleek, fitted way? I'm pretty sure it's not possible, but I really like that cockpit with this ship...

Kipp

The hive crawler is probably the best of the GS sets.

Just watched the video review for that set. The mechanism for moving the legs is so cool.
I told you guys to stop it. I don't want to spend any more money...

Just in case though, are these prices good in stores as well as online? I had originally wanted the Space Swarmer set (because it's pretty cool and $7.50, so why not), but it wasn't in stock when I made my order, but it is now, and now I'm upset enough that I want to go to my local store and pick it up. And maybe pick up one of the other sets because you guys are not making saving money easy for me by saying how all these sets are great.

Is the TRU 50% off sale in the US? I'm only missing one GS set and I'll have actually completed my first ever Lego theme.

can't even get my LEGO store to answer the phone, they are supposed to be open until 11pm tonight. Hate the holidays >.<

Must find out if they received any of the 2015 sets so I can make a trip out there tomorrow.

How cruel to have double VIP right as these are trickling into retail!

Even if they get them in, they're going to sit in the back until Jan 1st. We've already been briefed that the new stuff has a hard street date for us but if that changes I'll post an update. As it stands no more 2015 sets will go on sale until 2015.

ghostmind

Winter Soldier polybag is coming this Spring. Not sure if it will be a promo or not. From what I have heard, there will be a number of Marvel polybags for 2015.

Kipp

Wasn't able to find the mini ARC-170, which is a bit of a bummer, but I kind of anticipated not being able to find that since I'm pretty sure it was a promotional set from a while ago (even though it says it's in stock).

I did get the Space Swarmer for $7 though! I know I probably let you other Galaxy Squad fans down by not picking up the Hive Crawler, Galactic Titan, or Bug Obliterator, but I just couldn't bring myself to by them since I don't really care for how they look (I prefer the sleeker vehicles over the bulky ones) and they're too expensive for me to buy them just because they're cheap (even though they're great value). Thanks for trying to convince me though. :p

Wasn't able to find the mini ARC-170, which is a bit of a bummer, but I kind of anticipated not being able to find that since I'm pretty sure it was a promotional set from a while ago (even though it says it's in stock).

I did get the Space Swarmer for $7 though! I know I probably let you other Galaxy Squad fans down by not picking up the Hive Crawler, Galactic Titan, or Bug Obliterator, but I just couldn't bring myself to by them since I don't really care for how they look (I prefer the sleeker vehicles over the bulky ones) and they're too expensive for me to buy them just because they're cheap (even though they're great value). Thanks for trying to convince me though. :p

Hive Crawler is all about the legs. Those legs!

But Bug Obliterator is pretty damn sleek when it is separated. The wonderful thing about that set is that it feel like two complete sets that just happened to come in one box.

And great price on Space Swarmer. That was a killer set even at full price. One of my favorites of the series.

Kipp

Hive Crawler is all about the legs. Those legs!

But Bug Obliterator is pretty damn sleek when it is separated. The wonderful thing about that set is that it feel like two complete sets that just happened to come in one box.

And great price on Space Swarmer. That was a killer set even at full price. One of my favorites of the series.

Yeah, I feel bad for passing them up since I know they're cool sets, but I dunno. I'm too frugal for my own good. Haha

Glad to hear you like the Space Swarmer though! I'm really looking forward to building it tomorrow! And then it's the long, long wait for the Eradicator Mech, Swarm Interceptor, and SW AT-RT Walker.

Ponn

Banned
Winter Soldier polybag is coming this Spring. Not sure if it will be a promo or not. From what I have heard, there will be a number of Marvel polybags for 2015.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

A Winter Soldier polybag promo would be a perfect tie in with a certain unannounced set.

Stop it guys. I already got the only two sets that I really wanted. Don't make me start wanting to put in another Galaxy Squad order.

Also, on another note, I started building another spaceship MOC because my hype for the Galaxy Squad sets was too much. It's definitely my favorite thing I've built so far! I'm really looking forward to sharing it when it's done.

Question though: How on earth am I supposed to close off this type of cockpit in a sleek, fitted way? I'm pretty sure it's not possible, but I really like that cockpit with this ship...

You are writing "Stop it", but your coming here again and again speaks differently. You know you want it. If you feel the need to put in another Galaxy Squad order, then that just means your last order was not complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom