• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Question for all you American Gaffers. Back in NY after visiting from Australia last year as well, and after visiting the Rockefeller Centre and Flatiron District Lego stores the other day, it had slipped my mind that those stores mark up the price of the sets compared to the website price. My question is, is it just the NY stores that do this? or is it common practice in the USA in general. I got the Flatiron District store to price match the website on a purchase for me, but I'm wondering if I just wait till I'm in Chicago at the start of January to make more purchases (e.g. Slave 1) to avoid the hassle. Or will they do the same thing with the markup.

I have not been to those two stores in N.Y. but all the LEGO stores I went to (Portland, Bellevue and Anaheim Downtown Disney) they all have the same prices as the Shop@Home (official LEGO site) except may be some of the sales / clearance price items.

Brick Fiend

Neo Member
I feel like almost all Lego stores do the msrp just like the website.its been a while since i was at a store in person but i definitely paid retail.

Only chain here that consistently inflates prices is toys r us.

I have not been to those two stores in N.Y. but all the LEGO stores I went to (Portland, Bellevue and Anaheim Downtown Disney) they all have the same prices as the Shop@Home (official LEGO site) except may be some of the sales / clearance price items.

Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear. I may just leave my other purchases for Detroit and Chicago then. It seems a bit odd that the New York Lego stores take it upon themselves to do this. They basically mark up the set price by the equivalent of sales tax (about 10%) but then still add sales tax on at the register as well. That's a lot of extra money to be raking in at this time of year.

The Doop

Late pic of my daughters Xmas Lego haul. One of them might've been a little more for me. ;)
qJXzo09.jpg

ghostmind

I think I read somewhere that the Force Awakens merch will come out about September. Probably the same for Lego.

That is correct - the official statement from LEGO:

"Development of the LEGO Star Wars products that are based directly on the movie is well under way - but they will not be launched until September."

Ravek

Banned
So is the Millennium Falcon (7965?) gone gone, or just temporarily sold out? Local Walmart has it.

I too would like to know this.

That is correct - the official statement from LEGO:

"Development of the LEGO Star Wars products that are based directly on the movie is well under way - but they will not be launched until September."

So Im guessing, besides a new X-Wing set, May 4th will gives us our first clues about possible new sets.

Not a huge fan with the side of his head that has the eye mask on, looks too Nightwing-ish to me.

Will still sell my soul to get it, regardless.

You still have one left? I would have thought most here sold it a long time ago to support their LEGO addiction.

Picked up the Ezra Speederbike set and the TIE Advanced Prototype at ToysRUs this morning. Also finished up this collection.

Don't have true shelf space for them yet but will be doing some rearranging over the weekend.

Dragoshi1

Wow, TRU had ALL early '15 sets in stock, from Star Wars to Minecraft, and all wave 1 of BIONICLE!!!

Bought Tahu and the Fire Protector, didn't have enough for any more.

After an entire day, I finally got the FIRST floor of the Parisian Restaraunt done. Granted, I did other stuff besides build LEGO all day, but I still spent a good 6-7 hours on it. This is gonna take a while lol.

Wow, TRU had ALL early '15 sets in stock, from Star Wars to Minecraft, and all wave 1 of BIONICLE!!!

Bought Tahu and the Fire Protector, didn't have enough for any more.

Holy crap, I gotta go to toys R us and get me some kopaka.

Picked up the Ezra Speederbike set and the TIE Advanced Prototype at ToysRUs this morning. Also finished up this collection.

Don't have true shelf space for them yet but will be doing some rearranging over the weekend.

I don't own any of constraction type sets. Technically I have a few unopened clearanced ones. The low cost entry point of $10 for those new Bionicles and seeing all of them diplayed like that I can see the appeal. There's a few interesting parts in them too that would be useful. I hope to pick up some of those Hero Factory ones with the "minifig" style ones on clearance.

Experien

Looked at my mom's Florida's Target...no new sets it plenty of new CMF. I passively searched/felt for 10 seconds; pretty confident that I got a Hotdog.

ghostmind

In order to deal with the very large number of sets that I'll want in the spring and summer, I'm going to cut back what I'll be getting early this year:

- only one Swamp Police set; initially I was excited about this subtheme, but it turned out to be too derivative of the Forest Police subtheme from 2012
- no Speed Champions sets (number of stickers is turning me off to these); I might still get one of these
- no Elves sets; I'm thinking that giant clam piece will be in the summer CITY underwater subtheme
- only one Friends set - the $5 bunnies set, to get the more-system scale bunnies
- only one tribe of Mixels - the Glowkies

Even with those cutbacks, I am looking at picking up over 60 sets by April

Rootbeer

Banned
TRU totally gutted. Nothing new put out.

Target had wookie gunships. Rest still in back and was unable to convince any staff to pull a TIE for me. Even was told it couldn't be sold till Jan 4th.

Oh, Target... S@H gets my money instead.

TRU totally gutted. Nothing new put out.

Target had wookie gunships. Rest still in back and was unable to convince any staff to pull a TIE for me. Even was told it couldn't be sold till Jan 4th.

Oh, Target... S@H gets my money instead.
Ick. Yeah that makes your purchase from S@H easier. And you'll get that sweet AT-DP polybag too!

Report from LEGO brick and mortar store.

Bunch of stuff marked down, but nothing crazy as this is the first wave of clearance. Most of the sales reflect those at LEGO S@H.

Chima ice and fire Speedorz.
A few Ninjago and Chima sets.
Ariel's Amazing Treasures about 25% off.
Only the Micro Star Destroyer on sale.

Winter Village Market 10% off. I'll bite if they ever get to 30%.

Friends animal series 5. $2.99 (was on sale since previous week). They only have 41044: Macaw's Fountain at my store.

TONS of Exo-Suit sets. Looks like they underestimated for the first run then overestimated for the 2nd run. Ooops.

I haven't seen Back to the Future sets for a couple weeks. Perhaps they have gone through their inventory of those finally.

Saw Tower of Orthanc for 500 VIP pts off due to damaged box (~$25 off). If 2015 would be a slow year (which it isn't), I might have bitten.

No Series 12 CMFs even though LEGO S@H has them discounted. Doubtful brick and mortar will get any more with Series 13 due to be released unless S@H inventory of those is MASSIVE.

After a weak LEGO store clearance last year, I think we may get a decent one this year. There is just too many LEGO sets and themes IMO.

EDIT: Oh forgot one of the big ones. If you don't have 70403: Dragon Mountain it's 20% off. Not a huge deal, but not bad. May get lucky elsewhere for a bigger discount, but risk of not getting it at all below MSRP increases the longer you wait.
It's interesting because it wasn't a set that was on the shelves leading up to XMas. At least I don't recall it being there.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ah geez. You won, guys. I already have plenty of LEGO after Christmas, but I checked eBay for the Silver Mine Shootout because my assumption was that after Christmas it would get discounted. I was right, and there was someone selling it for $53.95 (and free shipping) with 2 left in stock. I was super tempted but still sort of iffy, but then I refreshed it and one had just sold and only one more was left in stock. Couldn't help myself. Purchased.

So yeah, thanks to all of you who recommended that I buy it. You won. Haha

Ah geez. You won, guys. I already have plenty of LEGO after Christmas, but I checked eBay for the Silver Mine Shootout because my assumption was that after Christmas it would get discounted. I was right, and there was someone selling it for $53.95 (and free shipping) with 2 left in stock. I was super tempted but still sort of iffy, but then I refreshed it and one had just sold and only one more was left in stock. Couldn't help myself. Purchased.

It's all about giving and spreading happiness. Nobody is doing it to keep score.
We joke a lot about wives and significant others not being happy with the excessive purchases. We also joke about going broke. Reality is nobody should sacrifice their relationship and financial well-being for a hobby. If you aren't sacrificing anything of that sort, you sir are the winner with that set (I have yet to open and build mine).

ghostmind

CelebratedJubilantInganue.gif

Kipp

It's all about giving and spreading happiness. Nobody is doing it to keep score.
We joke a lot about wives and significant others not being happy with the excessive purchases. We also joke about going broke. Reality is nobody should sacrifice their relationship and financial well-being for a hobby. If you aren't sacrificing anything of that sort, you sir are the winner with that set (I have yet to open and build mine).

I'm totally fine financially, just frugal. Haha. I'm mostly just messing around.
I'm really happy about my purchase, really glad you guys recommended the set so unanimously to me, and really excited to build it!

Kipp

The skull ship is pretty neat but the rest of it looks like left over from the alien invasion line.

I had no idea the Alien Conquest LEGO theme existed. I really, really like that theme. It's a shame the sets don't look like they were too great. I hope it makes a comeback eventually with some better sets.

ghostmind

S@H OOP Update - 12/26/14

31004 Fierce Flyer
31005 Construction Hauler
31013 Red Thunder
41051 Merida's Highland Games
60013 Coast Guard Helicopter
60019 Stunt Plane
60021 Cargo Heliplane
60027 Monster Truck Transporter
60045 Police Patrol
60054 Light Repair Truck
60055 Tow Truck
60059 Logging Truck
70502 Cole's Earth Driller
70724 NinjaCopter
75021 Republic Gunship
76002 Metropolis Showdown

Ravek

Banned
S@H OOP Update - 12/26/14

31004 Fierce Flyer
31005 Construction Hauler
31013 Red Thunder
41051 Merida's Highland Games
60013 Coast Guard Helicopter
60019 Stunt Plane
60021 Cargo Heliplane
60027 Monster Truck Transporter
60045 Police Patrol
60054 Light Repair Truck
60055 Tow Truck
60059 Logging Truck
70502 Cole's Earth Driller
70724 NinjaCopter
75021 Republic Gunship
76002 Metropolis Showdown

Jeez........this is getting ridiculous.

Jeez........this is getting ridiculous.

Seems fairly normal considering how much new stuff keeps coming out. Fierce Flyer is about 2 years. I think 1 year is also normal for many sets. There were a few Ghostmind posted previously that I think were under 6 months which is unusual, but lack of interest and sales could account for those.

Disney Princess stuff is almost 1 year and they need to make room for the next wave.

I forget, OOP just means they aren't producing anymore right? It doesn't say anything about how many sets are still out in the wild or in a warehouse. This means there could be large inventories of stuff that some retailers have to burn through still which also includes LEGO S@H and retail stores.

Ponn

Banned
Something silly just occurred me while watching Darkseid Invasion review. Why doesn't Green Arrow come with a quiver? Thinking about the Hawkeye I have didn't either. I understand thee hood they gave him prevents it but throw in the other hood then to give him his classic appearance. I don't think my knock off GA came with a green quiver.

Rootbeer

Banned
observations from Target today:

Good amount of clearance but most of the deals were pretty shitty, like 5 to 10% off.

However, some were 50% off (a few creator sets)

And... the Dropship was 59.99 down from 79.99

Something silly just occurred me while watching Darkseid Invasion review. Why doesn't Green Arrow come with a quiver? Thinking about the Hawkeye I have didn't either. I understand thee hood they gave him prevents it but throw in the other hood then to give him his classic appearance. I don't think my knock off GA came with a green quiver.

why didn't they also include a second hood in its "up" fashion? The yellow hair piece is cool though, and I still like the green down hood they included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom