• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

So all these sets going oop has me nervous with this seeming influx of new Lego sets for the new year and then more to come. With Tumbler out of stock again if i even think I want it should it be a priority to get once it comes back in stock? I'm now worried about getting Helicarrier as soon as it pops up with the way Tumbler has been. i'm thinking of holding off on the new Superhero sets to make these sets a priority with my funds.

I think the larger sets that are exclusive to the LEGO Store you do not have to worry about. They have shown no sign of being retired faster. It's just the sets that are carried everywhere.

ghostmind

wa3aWgk.png

Do you guys think Slave 1 is going to sell out as soon as it hits the shop?

It will be like the Tumbler all over again. That means it will sell out instantly until the demand diminishes and supply increases. Tumbler is almost getting to the point where it doesn't sell out in store the first day of shipment. They had a hard rule of only 1 Tumbler per person at my local LEGO store and they still sold out the first day every time they got new shipments (granted they probably only got a few each shipment).

LaNaranja

I was looking through the January LEGO catalog and those damn DC sets look way too pricey. $50 for that damn Gorilla Grodd set that only has 350 pieces? The Brainiac set has fewer pieces than the Man-Bat set and yet it is more expensive. :/

Anyway my brother has been making his way through the sets he got for christmas. The dragon that comes with the red creatures set in particular looks great. He has been enjoying having the Guardians of the Galaxy fight the Star Wars Rebels. The Ghost/Phantom look really good but some parts of the ship are a bit flimsy.

The Model Team stuff came with instructions for the alt builds I thought. I know the Whirl and Wheel Super Truck did, because I remember building it. Lemme investigate.

EDIT: Yeah, there were instructions for the alt build for that one at least. I am not sure about the others.

http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/scans/5590-1?ct=1

Which set did you build? Look on Brickiest for instructions. Most sets have direct links to instructions, but if you go to the links in each set, there are outside sites with scans of the instructions just in case.
lol, that's the exact one I'm talking about! :)

Yes, it has the instructions for the "main" alternate build, but not the one pictured here: http://www.peeron.com/scans/5590-1/48

That image is the only thing about it the whole manual. It's got some similarities to the main build, but it's definitely a different truck.

Rootbeer

Banned
Actually, the 2015 sets are listed as available now but for preorders, and shipping Jan 2nd. DO is still waiting though.

None are orderable for me, in the USA.

Only the same tiny selection of Creator and City sets that have been available for a few weeks.

I don't think S@H NA does pre-orders. Otherwise I'd be using that a lot. :)

There are some sites that have had 2015 sets up for order for many days, such as amazon.com -- if any one cares to go that route. I would, if amazon discounted them. But all the ones i saw were retail price

IHaveIce

Banned
I wonder why they release the Winter Soldier Polybag in the summer?
will the Ant Man sets already be there then?

I wish they would have done a Thanos figure already( please no big fig) I also did not see any good customs of him

Rootbeer

Banned
Sorry, Thanos will most definitely be a Big Fig. I suppose I can see them doing a smaller version like they did with Hulk but I'm doubtful.

LEGO does need to redesign their big figs, nobody seems to really like how they look and the posability is shit.

There are a few that were great like the Rancor but that's an example of LEGO putting in the extra effort to make it work. If only they would put so much effort into each big fig instead of having them all look like carbon copies locked in the same pose.

It's always a shame when LEGO releases new figure types (friends/disney princess/big figs such as Hulk) where they throw posing options out the window. The original LEGO minifigure design was great for its time. While it has its limitations, you can get some pretty good movement out of it while still having tons of interchangeable parts.

Most of their subsequent figure designs have not put as much thought into these strengths. One of my biggest LEGO complaints. I want to see more modularability not less.

Imagine if you could had the same modularity in the big figs as in the classic minifigs, you could take your hulk big fig and swap in some parts to make him into a World War Hulk big fig, as an example. But nah, you're stuck with that hulk for the most part.

One of my biggest LEGO complaints. I want to see more modularability not less.
I'm not really into minifigs, but my son made me realise how much you can do with them. He's 5, and I got him the SW Advent Calendar this Christmas. It comes with a "Santa" Darth Vader, but he took the legs of the TIE Pilot and the black cape from his Batman to make a proper looking Vader. It was impressive. Most impressive.

Nitemare1

Damn it all. I was just browsing some sites for craft tables. When I wandered into walmart.ca toy section clearance. They had a ton of stuff marked way down.
Benny's Spaceship spaceship spaceship was 59$. Star Destroyer was 74$ ATAT was 64$ and a ton of other stuff too. its all out of stock now though :(

IHaveIce

Banned
Sorry, Thanos will most definitely be a Big Fig. I suppose I can see them doing a smaller version like they did with Hulk but I'm doubtful.

LEGO does need to redesign their big figs, nobody seems to really like how they look and the posability is shit.

There are a few that were great like the Rancor but that's an example of LEGO putting in the extra effort to make it work. If only they would put so much effort into each big fig instead of having them all look like carbon copies locked in the same pose.

It's always a shame when LEGO releases new figure types (friends/disney princess/big figs such as Hulk) where they throw posing options out the window. The original LEGO minifigure design was great for its time. While it has its limitations, you can get some pretty good movement out of it while still having tons of interchangeable parts.

Most of their subsequent figure designs have not put as much thought into these strengths. One of my biggest LEGO complaints. I want to see more modularability not less.

Imagine if you could had the same modularity in the big figs as in the classic minifigs, you could take your hulk big fig and swap in some parts to make him into a World War Hulk big fig, as an example. But nah, you're stuck with that hulk for the most part.

Yep I agree, damn it would already be an improvement if you could move the head, hands and stuff on the big figs.

I vastly prefer my minifigsized Hulk over the big fig just because of these reasons

Rootbeer

Banned
Love the idea of bigfigs, hope LEGO is aware that it is a contentious area of their product line which they could improve on.

Had the urge to watch The LEGO Movie today! It's too bad we aren't getting another LEGO feature in 2015, but hopefully starting with 2016 we'll see one LEGO big screen feature every year :D

Nintendad

My son just got a Mixel at the LEGO store and filled up a little bucket to take home too. After putting together the green Mixel he wants the other two. So today we might head up to Toys R Us to get the other two and try and find The Joker Bumper Car polybag.

Ponn

Banned
I think the larger sets that are exclusive to the LEGO Store you do not have to worry about. They have shown no sign of being retired faster. It's just the sets that are carried everywhere.

I really want to hold off on the bigger sets till double VIP or such. Just kind of freaking me out how long Tumbler has been out of stock.

lol, that's the exact one I'm talking about! :)

Yes, it has the instructions for the "main" alternate build, but not the one pictured here: http://www.peeron.com/scans/5590-1/48

That image is the only thing about it the whole manual. It's got some similarities to the main build, but it's definitely a different truck.

Oh, gotcha. I totally forgot about that pic. I always remembered the smaller truck.

But that was common back in the 80s and 90s. Just post pics of alt builds on the boxes and instruction manuals, but give absolutely no direction on how to actually build them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My amazing wife got me a Winter Village Bakery for Christmas. I love the Winter Village series, so I'm really happy. My kids went crazy for the Benny's Spaceship and Lord Business Evil Lair.

I can't believe how two years ago we barely had any legos and now they're a major part of our Christmas.

mrkgoo

My amazing wife got me a Winter Village Bakery for Christmas. I love the Winter Village series, so I'm really happy. My kids went crazy for the Benny's Spaceship and Lord Business Evil Lair.

I can't believe how two years ago we barely had any legos and now they're a major part of our Christmas.

It rapidly takes over. The good thing is it really does make good gifts for people of all ages!

ghostmind

Ultra Agents - Summer 2015

70171 Ultrasonic Showdown
70172 AntiMatter’s Portal Hideout
70173 Ultra Agents Ocean HQ

I think we may have figured out where the giant mecha-shark belongs...

IHaveIce

Banned
Hulk looks weird and Thor looks almost the same as before.

Everything else looks really good and I want it now.
The new Hawkeye is way better than the old one.

So guys, I ended up finding this baby hiding in our house.

B5-IjboIAAAvHMZ.jpg

Not really a fan of the Mace Windu with the lightsaber permanently attached to his hand but this should be a fun build..

Jang absolutely loves the Heartlake Hair Salon and I'm tempted to add another set to the January hit list. Tons of useful pieces, new hairstyles, awesomely 80's themed glamour stickers, and a few samples of new 2015 parts. In fact, I might throw out Al's entirely to fit the DO better in my 1986 town.

Also, Wyldstyle's hair in yellow. Awesome!

Lego-gaf, the combined forces of this thread and christmas gave me a dream about shopping for legos. I was looking at a display that was a bunch of sets that don't actually exist mixed in with a handful of collectible minifigures and LOTR/hobbit sets (some of which were either in clearly mislabelled packaging, like the dol guldur sets actually containing subsections of orthanc, or came already-built inside ornate packaging). it was strange.

Why am i such a boring person? I haven't had a good and horrifying nightmare in ages, yet I dream about toy shopping. I think I had an amiibo dream earlier this week too. damn materialism. something someting desire is the source of suffering something something possessions are an illusion.

also I got the falcon and an x wing for christmas.

i guess i collect star wars sets now.

scilego

Neo Member
My local Target here in Boston had some 2015 sets out, including TIE prototype and CMF13. Got almost all the series 13 without really knowing who I was looking for! Score.

Vyer

Yeah, it just kinda...happens. Soon you'll be trying to figure out storage.

robochimp

The new TIE advanced prototype is a nice set, the new cockpit dish pieces make the last TIE fighter set look archaic. The wing connections are much sturdier than Vader's TIE.

I'm tempted to grab a second TIE advanced prototype to merge it with the Vader's TIE that I already have.

Oh, gotcha. I totally forgot about that pic. I always remembered the smaller truck.

But that was common back in the 80s and 90s. Just post pics of alt builds on the boxes and instruction manuals, but give absolutely no direction on how to actually build them.
Yeah, I was just hoping for some tips on how to tackle a build where one image is all you've got. I guess I'll just start somewhere and hope for the best. It's the non-visible sections that concern me, like how the tray attaches to the front section of the truck.

Yeah, I was just hoping for some tips on how to tackle a build where one image is all you've got. I guess I'll just start somewhere and hope for the best. It's the non-visible sections that concern me, like how the tray attaches to the front section of the truck.

Time to put those MOC skills to the test, my friend. I can't wait to see the results. Please post pics of progress. I am sure others would love to see.

robochimp

TIE Advance Prototype to be the sleeper set of 2015?

I doubt it, it is a really sturdy build especially for a TIE, and the wings do an interesting job of simulating a curve. At the end of the day it's just a small cockpit with two(4?)small wings. The tan suit on the imperial officer is pretty sharp though.

I really like all things Imperial Navy, and this is a nice evolution to the LEGO TIE fighter.

The lack of leg printing on Braniac bugged me so I looked for a replacement pair of pants and it hit me. The old Alien Conquest aliens have the perfect prints to go with him.

Time to put those MOC skills to the test, my friend. I can't wait to see the results. Please post pics of progress. I am sure others would love to see.
Ha ha, I don't have any MOC skills yet, I've just come out of dark ages a couple of months ago. I'll give it a try, although I may be jumping in the deep end... :)

Finished the Parisian Restaurant this weekend, its fantastic. Easily my favorite Lego ever. Took me hours but every second was worth it. I'd say its so great that it pushes the line between toys and art.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow along with Kopaka from Bionicle 2015.

fwB1691h.jpg

Lego City Arctic isn't already retired, is it? We're sold out of a bunch of sets and with Swamp Police and Demolition hitting this Thursday I'm anxious they're gonna quietly replace Arctic. I really want the big base so I can recreate The Thing but we only have like one left and if they're gone I gotta grab it.

Ha ha, I don't have any MOC skills yet, I've just come out of dark ages a couple of months ago. I'll give it a try, although I may be jumping in the deep end... :)

DO IT! Jump in the deep end. I think I speak for everyone when I say we would all love to see what you come up with. Remember, everything is awesome!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Finished the Parisian Restaurant this weekend, its fantastic. Easily my favorite Lego ever. Took me hours but every second was worth it. I'd say its so great that it pushes the line between toys and art.

Oh man. That is just gorgeous. I mean, I've seen the stock photos, but seeing a photo of the actual thing just makes it that much better.

Any idea when this set will likely be retired? I'd like to get it eventually, but it'll probably be a while...

ghostmind

Lego City Arctic isn't already retired, is it? We're sold out of a bunch of sets and with Swamp Police and Demolition hitting this Thursday I'm anxious they're gonna quietly replace Arctic. I really want the big base so I can recreate The Thing but we only have like one left and if they're gone I gotta grab it.

Most of the CITY Arctic sets should be around for a while, the exceptions being the retailer exclusives - 60064 Arctic Supply Plane (which is now Sold Out) and 60062 Arctic Icebreaker (which is getting a stock refresh in early January).

Also, I don't think that NorthAm shops are getting the Demolition sets until late February, or early March. They will be available in Europe/UK on January 1st though.

The only Arctic set that I have is 60062, which covers a lot of the exclusive elements from the Arctic subtheme.

jcD6X4y.jpg

I'm debating whether I should pick up any more from this subtheme.

chimster

need some advice, Star Wars Republic Gunship 75021 is on sale for $104.99 Canadian, don't know if I should bite (to go with my AT-TE or should I save my money for January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom