• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hrm. I'm not sure how I feel about the 2015 Bionicle line. While on one hand, I absolutely adore Bionicle, and love that the new series seems to be aiming for an "updated" look on the original cast... I'm not sure I like the updated look. To me, they look kind of like the abhorrent abominations found in the early cgi movies (admittably I've only seen that first one), rather than the robotic and mechanical originals. I stopped paying attention to Bionicle during around when they were releasing the Vishorak, so admittably I didn't see much of the later sets, but they ALWAYS had the mechanical look whenever I did pick one up. (even if sometimes they were a little busy) These new ones though... They are too "solid". The colors being seemingly all over the place doesn't help.
Of what I've seen, Kopaka looks the best, and that's mainly because with his shield, it makes it look like he's going for a bulky knight aesthetic. But then he's got all that random looking gold throwing off his color scheme. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm finding that a LOT of my pieces have cracked. A LOT. I'm much more Technic/Bionicle oriented, and woe is me. Particularly, the little grey spacer "bushes" are more and more being cracked, as well as the Bionicle arm joint connectors. There's a Lego store in Indy, is there any chance that they might have those types of pieces in bulk? I'd like to get them in their original colors, but that's looking impossible, as that shade of grey seems to be discontinued. The shade Im talking about is the grey pieces used by the Metru Nui era bionicles. I have a million and a half of the black ones, but 90% of my dark greys have cracked. If I could get a very close shade I could live with that.

Barring that

I'd love to hear how the ghost is. I'm debating getting that for myself.

I'll post some pics once I've built it. I had no interest in the set initially but after watching the most recent Rebels episodes I felt the itch. I already have the Phantom which is actually a neat little ship-much nicer than I expected.

Anyway, I'm finding that a LOT of my pieces have cracked. A LOT. I'm much more Technic/Bionicle oriented, and woe is me. Particularly, the little grey spacer "bushes" are more and more being cracked, as well as the Bionicle arm joint connectors.

Have you used Bricklink before? From your description I'm not familiar with the "bush" pieces but there's a good chance you could get them in bulk from a seller on Bricklink.

Except if they're black...for some reason Bricklink has no black elements left.

On the subject of cracked pieces...I've noticed a dramatic uptick in quality over the last 6 months. In late 2013/early 2014 I purchased a number of sets that had cracked pieces-generally 1x1 tiles and 1x1 slopes (cheese wedges). Until I read your post I hadn't realized that I've not had a cracked piece in ages.

Have you used Bricklink before? From your description I'm not familiar with the "bush" pieces but there's a good chance you could get them in bulk from a seller on Bricklink.

On the subject of cracked pieces...I've noticed a dramatic uptick in quality over the last 6 months. In late 2013/early 2014 I purchased a number of sets that had cracked pieces-generally 1x1 tiles and 1x1 slopes (cheese wedges). Until I read your post I hadn't realized that I've not had a cracked piece in ages.
My only issue with using Brick Link is that those are all used pieces, right? I'm worried that Ill replace my cracked pieces with just more cracked pieces. With Technik Lego you basically have to try and use it to find out its cracked, because its always a microcrack, and most of these pieces seem to have cracked from just sitting there, not even assembled.

The "bushes" are those grey circular pieces that they use to cap off axles, or space out elements on one.

It's almost as if someone is building an insane 7' black MOC monolith, and devouring the world's supply of black Lego pieces...

My only issue with using Brick Link is that those are all used pieces, right? I'm worried that Ill replace my cracked pieces with just more cracked pieces. With Technik Lego you basically have to try and use it to find out its cracked, because its always a microcrack, and most of these pieces seem to have cracked from just sitting there, not even assembled.

The "bushes" are those grey circular pieces that they use to cap off axles, or space out elements on one.
I just bought a few dozen Technic bushes from Bricklink, and they were all pristine. I don't know if they were second hand or not, but if you choose a seller with good rep, you're probably going to get good stuff.

Norfair

Some pieces are more used then others. A lot of supplies just buy sets and sell them as new pieces.

If I'm not mistaken there's an option to sort by new and used pieces.

Hrm. Alright, I suppose I'll give it a shot. I only need ~30 or so of those and the ball joints each, hopefully it wont run me too much haha.

ghostmind

Another minifig cube is upcoming, this time with Lightning Lad:

0PRvLYw.jpg

Also, first look at a new CITY Divers minifig:
3wXmzoU.jpg

IXY1UGM.jpg

ppXyZyR.jpg

Jang's review of Jasmine's "palace" threw me off. At least that's one I don't need to get. A retail price of $39 here is ridiculous for 143 pieces and there's nothing exciting: not the build, not any parts. I'm getting Jasmine separate at some point instead.

This set could have been redeemed if it actually had Aladdin to sit on that carpet instead of a freaking chibi Rajah.

Oh well, more spare cash for the hair salon instead.

Ponn

Banned

0PRvLYw.jpg

Ok this actually makes me a little upset. There is no way in hell they will give us a proper Legion collection so this is just a giant cocktease. They could have made that Black Lightning instead or some other JL member that wouldnt quite fit in a set. Firestorm maybe?

Ravek

Banned

0PRvLYw.jpg

Also, first look at a new CITY Divers minifig:
3wXmzoU.jpg

IXY1UGM.jpg

ppXyZyR.jpg

Meh.
Jang's review of Jasmine's "palace" threw me off. At least that's one I don't need to get. A retail price of $39 here is ridiculous for 143 pieces and there's nothing exciting: not the build, not any parts. I'm getting Jasmine separate at some point instead.

This set could have been redeemed if it actually had Aladdin to sit on that carpet instead of a freaking chibi Rajah.

Oh well, more spare cash for the hair salon instead.

I haven't watched the review yet, but did he say $39? S@H and TRU have it as $19.99 set.

Rootbeer

Banned
another minifigure cube! i love these, except the $15 (and up in my area) price tag... hope it's a decent promo this time for getting it free/discounted.

ruxtpin

Banned
I don't have access to the calendar with the coupons at the moment, but does anyone know if we can redeem two coupons at the same time in store (to get two of the Lego store emp figs)?

I read somewhere that LEGO changed the designs because the cracking. As someone mentioned, Bricklink is your best bet, but they are used (if new, it would be rare and expensive). You could always ask the seller if the pieces are cracked or send you photos.

0PRvLYw.jpg

Wake me up! I can't believe they made a Legion of Super Hero minifig!

What's up with the arrow pointing to his crotch? Oh, I see after doing a search it's his latest costume version. Woe is me...I would love more classic versions of super heroes. Oh well, this will do to appease my love for Legion of Super Heroes for now.

Ok this actually makes me a little upset. There is no way in hell they will give us a proper Legion collection so this is just a giant cocktease. They could have made that Black Lightning instead or some other JL member that wouldnt quite fit in a set. Firestorm maybe?

I dunno, with all the love DC has been getting LEGO may sneak a few of those characters in with Batman (LOL). Seriously though, maybe they could sneak some characters in a future set (with Superman) as a test to see if they could do more sets. I can only hope.

I got myself an old Agents, 8634, strictly because of one thing: those awesome metallic silver pieces. This set is a silver mine! Over 50 very useful parts in that pretty colour. On top of that, some neat things like the huge fences, slopes, and just lots of things in black.

OLDJAvX.jpg

I'll be using most of the silver, but I wanted to check out the car before I did. And it's great! It reminds me of later sets like the red Ninjago car, but six years earlier. It has a seat ejection feature, hidden cannons and a huge rack of flick fire missiles. And it's pimp as anything! Pretty much the entire upper car is silver! It's a shame I'll need to take it apart.

PaEgV0h.jpg

It makes me wonder though. Lego was pretty reckless with colours at this point. There are 12 silver parts that are either unique to this set or only available in one or two other Agents sets. That can't have been cost effective. It makes a great parts pack for me now though. But I'm guessing this set might be expensive down the road if someone else needs silver stuff.

Ponn

Banned
I dunno, with all the love DC has been getting LEGO may sneak a few of those characters in with Batman (LOL). Seriously though, maybe they could sneak some characters in a future set (with Superman) as a test to see if they could do more sets. I can only hope.

But there is like, a shitton of Legion members. I mean I guess there is the core group they could do but then we probably wouldn't get Karate Kid. Would Bouncing Boy be brickbuilt or a big fig?

I read somewhere that LEGO changed the designs because the cracking. As someone mentioned, Bricklink is your best bet, but they are used (if new, it would be rare and expensive). You could always ask the seller if the pieces are cracked or send you photos.
I noticed that the ball joint seems to be changed, though the part on mine that cracks is where the peg crosses through at the top, which looked exactly the same. Also the bushes in the newer sets I got for Christmas were exactly the same as what I've had.

Iunno I'll check it out. My Legos are ten years old at this point so I shouldn't be surprised that the fragile ones are breaking. I just need fresher ones.

ghostmind

I got myself an old Agents, 8634, strictly because of one thing: those awesome metallic silver pieces. This set is a silver mine! Over 50 very useful parts in that pretty colour. On top of that, some neat things like the huge fences, slopes, and just lots of things in black.

I'll be using most of the silver, but I wanted to check out the car before I did. And it's great! It reminds me of later sets like the red Ninjago car, but six years earlier. It has a seat ejection feature, hidden cannons and a huge rack of flick fire missiles. And it's pimp as anything! Pretty much the entire upper car is silver! It's a shame I'll need to take it apart.

It makes me wonder though. Lego was pretty reckless with colours at this point. There are 12 silver parts that are either unique to this set or only available in one or two other Agents sets. That can't have been cost effective. It makes a great parts pack for me now though. But I'm guessing this set might be expensive down the road if someone else needs silver stuff.

Is that the set that comes with the cool klaxon sound brick, that I think is only available in that set?

Ryuuroden

On the left, old hotness. On the right, new and busted.

I cracked this set last night with the intent of working through my backlog starting on the low end of things (quality wise). I wasn't wrong; this set is really terrible.

I don't think I expected greatness but the build is lousy. The mech is very strangely proportioned and isn't nearly as "pose able" as the Lex one. The big difference is that Lex's feet are attached by ball joints while the Bat's are held on via a loosely rotating Technic pin. The mech's chest looks really strange and the "net arm" just looks totally out of place.

Wonder Woman's jet has some neat trans parts but it is absolutely tiny. I could see the wings / tail coming in handy for building invisible stands for other, better ships.

The figs are great. Love the new Batman cowl & Wonder Woman's hairpiece is really cool. I didn't get the Flash/Riddler set so it's nice to have a non-bootleg Flash.

Tonight I'm deciding between building one of the following:

The Ghost
Umbaran MHC
Parisian Restaurant
Volkswagen Camper
Benny x3

I'm leaning toward the MHC as it may be less interesting than the others.

If you are going from worst to first I would do Ghost then Umbaran. I say that though having built Umbaran and not owning the Ghost so don't take my word. I did like Umbaran a lot though and it's on my display shelves with my other heavy artillery. I really want you to build the Parisian Restaurant but that is like the crown jewels of that list and I am surprised you have not built it yet. You will have to fix your top 5 list for this year after you build it which is why you should build it before January 1st! :p

Rootbeer

Banned
My Target has the Quinjet on clearance for $39

Isn't that the price it's supposed to be...
That is how warped my price perspective has become living in an expensive city!

Well it certainly isn't at my local store I'll say that much. Thank goodness for price matching policies
Does anybody know if Target is selling the inquisitors tie fighter early/ now? I cant find it on thier site.
Arm yourself with the DPCI list linked a page or two back and use brickseek to see, they may have to dig it from the back though.

It's on target.com but the listing may be hidden right now. You can bring up the hidden listings on mobile usually when using the inventory checker feature

Sky Chief

I went to the Space Needle this summer and since then I have made it my goal to travel to all of the Lego Architecture sights and then build the models. I just got back from London and am ordering Big Ben. I also went to Tower Bridge. I guess the Tower Bridge set is technically not Architecture but I am considering buying it as well. Anyone have this set? Any feedback on it?

Anyone?

Buy Tower Bridge. It is a mammoth and awesome set. It will disappear sooner or later too, so get it while the getting is good.

And do you like MOCing? It is a killer parts pack for that, as you get over $400 worth of bricks for about $250.

When you do get it, just a word of advice: build both towers at once. It will save you time and sanity.

Sky Chief

Buy Tower Bridge. It is a mammoth and awesome set. It will disappear sooner or later too, so get it while the getting is good.

And do you like MOCing? It is a killer parts pack for that, as you get over $400 worth of bricks for about $250.

When you do get it, just a word of advice: build both towers at once. It will save you time and sanity.

Awesome man, thank you!

Ryuuroden

Hrm. I'm not sure how I feel about the 2015 Bionicle line. While on one hand, I absolutely adore Bionicle, and love that the new series seems to be aiming for an "updated" look on the original cast... I'm not sure I like the updated look. To me, they look kind of like the abhorrent abominations found in the early cgi movies (admittably I've only seen that first one), rather than the robotic and mechanical originals. I stopped paying attention to Bionicle during around when they were releasing the Vishorak, so admittably I didn't see much of the later sets, but they ALWAYS had the mechanical look whenever I did pick one up. (even if sometimes they were a little busy) These new ones though... They are too "solid". The colors being seemingly all over the place doesn't help.
Of what I've seen, Kopaka looks the best, and that's mainly because with his shield, it makes it look like he's going for a bulky knight aesthetic. But then he's got all that random looking gold throwing off his color scheme. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm finding that a LOT of my pieces have cracked. A LOT. I'm much more Technic/Bionicle oriented, and woe is me. Particularly, the little grey spacer "bushes" are more and more being cracked, as well as the Bionicle arm joint connectors. There's a Lego store in Indy, is there any chance that they might have those types of pieces in bulk? I'd like to get them in their original colors, but that's looking impossible, as that shade of grey seems to be discontinued. The shade Im talking about is the grey pieces used by the Metru Nui era bionicles. I have a million and a half of the black ones, but 90% of my dark greys have cracked. If I could get a very close shade I could live with that.

Barring that

Oooh Indiana, I live in Ohio. I would like to see some pictures of the damaged bricks. Were they caused by the way they were stored? I have Lego bricks over 2 decades old, more than halfway into their 3rd decade, and outside discoloration, I have had hardly any breaking issues that were not caused by me being violent as a kid. It may be because I did not get Bionicle at any time but I do have plenty of vintage Technic.

Like others suggested, I would look into replacing them by buying from bricklink. My guess is it was storage stress that broke/cracked pieces and that if you replace them you will not have that issue again. I am sure after you organize you can make sure the fragile stuff isn't crushed.

ghostmind

They have not appeared on PAB wall. I think it's very unlikely to appear there as well.

I wouldn't have expected them to be over $0.10 a piece. For a few dozen, they are reaching $0.25+ each from a single seller.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=88646

Yeah, they are still unreasonably expensive IMO, given how many CMFs that have been released. Hopefully now that they are showing up (in grey) in the minifig cubes, maybe LEGO will start making them more available. I would love to see this part in trans-clear.

Oooh Indiana, I live in Ohio. I would like to see some pictures of the damaged bricks. Were they caused by the way they were stored? I have Lego bricks over 2 decades old, more than halfway into their 3rd decade, and outside discoloration, I have had hardly any breaking issues that were not caused by me being violent as a kid. It may be because I did not get Bionicle at any time but I do have plenty of vintage Technic.

Like others suggested, I would look into replacing them by buying from bricklink. My guess is it was storage stress that broke/cracked pieces and that if you replace them you will not have that issue again. I am sure after you organize you can make sure the fragile stuff isn't crushed.
Yeah, I'm thinking its just a matter of the way they were stored. MOST are fine, its just the two or three specific types that are cracking. They were in a 40liter storage bin with ALL of my Legos, and very frequently being dug through by hand. I'm still mildly wary of future ones cracking.

Anyway, I'm heading to the Lego store tomorrow. I've called ahead, and they most likely dont have the pieces I need, but I still want to check it out, and I'm taking my camera in hopes of getting some cool photos.

Ryuuroden

Yeah, I'm thinking its just a matter of the way they were stored. MOST are fine, its just the two or three specific types that are cracking. They were in a 40liter storage bin with ALL of my Legos, and very frequently being dug through by hand. I'm still mildly wary of future ones cracking.

Anyway, I'm heading to the Lego store tomorrow. I've called ahead, and they most likely dont have the pieces I need, but I still want to check it out, and I'm taking my camera in hopes of getting some cool photos.

Well, usually store only has standard pieces on the wall and so on so you probably will not find them there but at least you will get to see all the new sets (hopefully) and them on display built as well. If you wait till the 1st, you will be guaranteed in seeing the new sets on display.

One thing the worker mentioned when I called was she said that the customer service is apparently not limited to new sets? She said she's gotten replacement pieces for free for some rather old sets. Does anyone have experience with this? Most of the ones I want replaced are still in print.

Rootbeer

Banned
One thing the worker mentioned when I called was she said that the customer service is apparently not limited to new sets? She said she's gotten replacement pieces for free for some rather old sets. Does anyone have experience with this? Most of the ones I want replaced are still in print.

Well I've gotten them to replace parts that were so new that they weren't even listed on the replacement page, I'd try just about anything and just see how it goes. People seem to have really good luck with it.

My local Target has all the new DC sets. My wife offered to buy them all for me, but I told her just to get the Brainiac set because I have a huge board game order going out soon.

They look kinda cool, but was pissed as Shadow troopers are black, not gray. There is no gray stormtroopers.

Anybody know why that battle pack is the only one not branded with the Rebels logo?

Are the Shadow Guards in that set somehow related to the classic red guards? I don't know much beyond the movies.

Anybody know why that battle pack is the only one not branded with the Rebels logo?

Are the Shadow Guards in that set somehow related to the classic red guards? I don't know much beyond the movies.

Shadow Guards and Shadow Troopers are both EU stuff. Shadow Guards were from the Force Unleashed video games. Shadow Troopers originally appeared in the Marvel comics as Black Hole Troopers, and then later as simply Shadow Troopers in comics and toys.

As for the packaging, they are in the Rebels logo packaging, they simply don't say REBELS on the sets that have nothing to do with the show. The other SW sets are same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom