• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crap. Forgot about the Valentine scene. But it doesn't look like it is available on the website yet, so I didn't miss it. Maybe if I am at a store sometime I can get it, but I don't know when I will be anywhere near one.

EDIT: Is that a pack of ghost shrouds there?

Okay, good to know about the V-day set. I'm still bummed that I missed last year's V-day set.

Yeah, looks like ghosts. Maybe from the build-a-minifigure table?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
my haul

FOFvWnH.jpg

Ryuuroden

The thirst is real. Detective Office was all spoken for when I got there about 10 minutes after the mall opened. Looked like ~10 or so people with Slave I. I thought Slave I was sold out but saw they had around 10-14 more (5-7 cases) by the back door. However by the time I got to checkout like all of those cases were empty also. Only a smattering of CMF 13 left also with 2-3 feelers going over every pack.

Anywho, got Slave I, Birds, and the Valentine Holiday pack (which was also all spoken for while I was in line).

I know everyone raves about Parisian Restaurant.. Is it worth it to try and get a retail priced Pet Shop still, or is Parisian Restaurant still the best modular. As gorgeous as Detective Office is I'm good on waiting on it if another set is going to be hard to get soon.

Wow, and Get Pet Shop it is a great set and won't be around for much longer, then if your limited on what you can pick up, get Parisian Restaurant and then Detective Office. Skip on Palace Cinema unless your a completionist or you have the money. I have a feeling this will be the final year for Pet Shop unless they are still getting big enough sales on it for it to be economical to keep shelf space and factory production on it. They produce sets in waves on a schedule and for the exclusives I think they focus on if its still a seller that's worth keeping around before discontinuing. I think this particularly is something that plays a big part of length of time big sets with a lot of regular production bricks stick around. It has been pretty apparent that sales volume plays a part in how long a set sticks around as Town Hall vanished before Pet Shop etc. Part of me almost feels like they might discontinue Palace Cinema before Pet Shop as well if not for the fact its the only corner modular left. That last sentence is just pure conjecture on my part though.

Valentine Holiday pack?

I bet Pet Shop will be gone by June. I'd pick it up before Parisian or Detective.

I have the Valentine Holiday pack in my picture of pickups. It is very nice. 9.99 too

Ryuuroden

Crap. Forgot about the Valentine scene. But it doesn't look like it is available on the website yet, so I didn't miss it. Maybe if I am at a store sometime I can get it, but I don't know when I will be anywhere near one.

EDIT: Is that a pack of ghost shrouds there?

Yeah, I looked up on bricklink and they are costly like 2 dollars or more each and in the build a minifig since you can buy 3 minifigs or 15 parts I purchased 15 ghost shrouds for 9.99 total which is a pretty great deal. Also a good deal for santa hats. Something I learned from my lug group. I knew you could pick up 15 accessories but I had never considered 15 ghost shrouds. I was like wtf that's a fantastic idea. If you go to the store and they are no longer in the build a minifig display, just ask them to check in back, that's what I did.

Edit: So basically I got 15 Ghost shrouds for 9.99 instead of the 30+ dollars and shipping so more like 40 dollars that it would of cost me from bricklink and now I am set for Halloween displays

If anyone happens to get an extra Valentine Scene, I can send something your way for it. I doubt I will get to a store in time to get one and won't be doing any more online orders for a long time either.

Chezzymann's top 5 sets of 2014

1. Parisian Restaurant

The Parisian Restaurant is a masterpiece. From beginning to end, the build is a joy. There are so many clever part uses and techniques. Not to mention that its a great price for the amount of pieces. There is so much imagination and character just gushing out of the bricks. It is by far the most detailed and fully realized official Lego set I have ever seen. I'd venture so far as to say that this is a work of art. I have no cons for this set, everything is pretty much perfection.

2. Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Benny's Spaceship is absolutley incredible, and I wasn't even around for the classic space sets. The ridiculous amount of weapons and gadgets is hillarious, and the set itself looks good at every angle. The shape is nice; the spaceship gradually gets smaller as you move towards the nose. And yes, Benny's Spaceship has maximum swooshablity potential. The only cons I have with this set is that there are a little too many stickers for my liking.

3. Mini Cooper

I did not expect a Lego set with over 1000 pieces to be this small, but boy, does the Mini Cooper justify its piece count. This set is insanely dense with an impressive amount of detail packed into every corner down to the seats, the engine, and even the little picnic set. Overall it delivers an elegant, sleek Lego replica of one of the most iconic vehicles around. The only complaints I have with it is the overuse of stickers, the wheel is too big, and its a liiiitle too boxy. But the boxyness is probably just a limitation of the medium.

4. Exo Suit

B5iFJDn.png

I know putting the Exo Suit on this list is a controversial opinion for many people here, but I absolutley loved this set. The barrel arms didn't bother me and the fragile parts weren't really an issue. The Exo Suit really does deliver the soul of Pete's design in an official Lego package. It looks badass, has an impressive amount of detail, and works great as something you can use to just to sit on your desk. I immensely enjoyed this set and as a result had to mention it on this list.

5. Metal Beard's Duel

Maybe its just because I was a huge fan of The Lego Movie, but Metal Beard's Duel is a very nice set and worthy of my top 5 (although I didn't get that much sets this year so there's not much else worth putting on this list.) Its got a lot of play value, and the attention to detail in Metalbeard's design is fantastic. I love how they managed to squeeze so many iconic pirate themes all onto one character, there's even a shark on his right arm. It would have been nice to have him be 100% accurate to the movie version, but this one's close enough.

_______

Best Mixel
Magnifo

I got a LOT of mixels this year. Probably around 20. But out of all of them Magnifo takes the cake. When you look at him you instantly understand his personality, and his design is just too adorable.

_______

Best Microfighter
Mllennium Falcon

I had to get the Mini Mllennium Falcon when I saw it at my local Target, simply because it stood out among the rest of the microfighters. Its asymmetry and impressive use of detail despite its low piece count makes it by far my favorite 2014 Microfighter.

Ryuuroden

Interesting, the instruction book for Detective Office is a single bound book like Sea Cow.

EDIT: already a couple interesting pieces that I am very curious to see how they will be used (in bags #1). A bunch of brown snowshoe pieces and miniature balljoint parts (female end)

EDIT 2: I see where they go now, coool

EDIT 3: Bunch of printed parts in this set. The lower glass windows are printed as well and would be awesome to use to make a Scottish Pub MOC. This is still just bags #1. The set is divided into 4 sections of build

Rootbeer

Banned
90 Mins later and $350 poorer. Lines are still kicking

Was a lot of fun!

Valentine's was not out. Had to specifically ask for it. One employee said they did not have it. Chanced it, asked another... They brought out some. Some others snagged it after me. Glad I could assist

Was anyone else at Stoneridge today?

cNooqM7.jpg

Detective's Office came online and was instantly backordered. It hadn't been possible to even add it to the bag before then, so I'm going to assume that it wasn't actually like that.

I was going to fit in a few minifigures too, but they're slightly more expensive now (29 instead of 25 SEK) so I think I'll just grab the ones I want later on.

Edit: Yup, it was fixed now. Apparently some Lego guy is sitting down to do all separate changes to the store as he goes along, instead of everything being pushed out with a single update. Strange way to do it.

Ryuuroden

Detective Office is really fantastic so far. The pool table is brilliant. I did take some pics before it gets enclosed by walls. The attention to minor detail so far is Parisian Restaurant level.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ah geez. I can already tell that once I get my finances totally sorted (probably going to be buying a house in the next month or two and then I'll also need to find a job in the new area; need to see where everything lands before I spend hundreds of dollars on LEGO) I'm going to go crazy with modulars. I'm 100% getting Detective's Office eventually, and I really want to get Parisian Restaurant and Pet Shop as well. Basically I need to hurry and find a full-time job before Pet Shop goes OOS. It's a race against time.

Ebris

So GAF, I haven't bought a Lego set in over 15 years. Now that my wife and I have been in a much sounder place financially, I went ahead and purchased myself the UCS Slave 1 this morning. What I'm wondering is if the bit on it being sold out and won't ship until 30 days is accurate. I've heard conflicting reports in Google searches on how that can change pretty quickly. I ordered it at 9am CST for reference. Do you think it could have fully been sold out, and if so, it'd take at least 30 days for a new batch to be made?

So GAF, I haven't bought a Lego set in over 15 years. Now that my wife and I have been in a much sounder place financially, I went ahead and purchased myself the UCS Slave 1 this morning. What I'm wondering is if the bit on it being sold out and won't ship until 30 days is accurate. I've heard conflicting reports in Google searches on how that can change pretty quickly. I ordered it at 9am CST for reference. Do you think it could have fully been sold out, and if so, it'd take at least 30 days for a new batch to be made?

Website was screwed up. It's in stock now, you won't be waiting 30 days.

90 Mins later and $350 poorer. Lines are still kicking

Was a lot of fun!

Valentine's was not out. Had to specifically ask for it. One employee said they did not have it. Chanced it, asked another... They brought out some. Some others snagged it after me. Glad I could assist

Was anyone else at Stoneridge today?

cNooqM7.jpg

I'm at Stoneridge right now having lunch at The Cheesecake Factory. I just picked up the last Slave I according to the employee who had to get it from the back. There were a few Detective Agencies and Birds sets left on the shelves. I came late, around 11:30am, and wasn't expecting to get a Slave I. Happy camper here.

You at Panda Express? No judgement here. I love that place too. My kids love the chow mein there.

Rootbeer

Banned
Used no VIP points today... Gonna save them for the next UCS SW set. Hoth?

Never eaten at a cheesecake factory! saw a ton of Slave I's in hands that's for sure.

Glad I got mine on S@H.i had enough to carry as it is. I'll go over my haul later... But I will say that Detective Office was among it.

Ryuuroden

Do some stores open on New Year's Day in the US? I thought everything was closed down there today.

Yeah, most are open just usually on shortened hours. And now onto comments about Detective Office.

Just finished part one of the Detective office which consists of just the sidewalk and first floor of the Pool Hall. Some very nice techniques so far. I like the rounded steps. The Pool table and ceiling fan are the highlights of part one. 3 printed parts so far; the 2 glass windows in front and the dart board. The first floor is fully tiled. The other build highlight is the rounded covers over the top of the front windows. Very nice use of the half circle pieces and then using arches to make it look like a quarter overhang. The use of ball joints in the exterior facade is also a nice touch.

On to part 2.

Rootbeer

Banned
Home at last. My haul, though part of it is in an online order which I don't have yet (it has been charged and currently has the status of 'In Warehouse')

10246 - Detective's Office
41097 - Heartlake Hot Air Balloon
70817 - Batman & Super Angry Kitty Attack
75074 - Snowspeeder
75078 - Imperial Troop Transport
75079 - Shadow Troopers
76026 - Gorilla Grodd Goes Bananas
76027 - Black Manta Deep Sea Strike
75060 - Slave I
76040 - Brainiac Attack
71008 - CMF Series 13 (1x of all 16 except the Alien which is 2x)
40120 - LEGO Seasonal Valentine's Day Dinner
30274 - 2x AT-DP freebie
40140 - 2x Flower Cart freebie
30203 - Mini Golf freebie

Next month will be picking up a few fringe sets in the January themes and probably going to invest a little in the Bionicles so I can get a better idea for what that hype is all about.

Did anyone else receive their January Club LEGO magazine? It comes polybagged with two extra inserts: a star wars rebels comic and a bionicle one called "the journey begins" with some cool maps, bios and history stuff about bionicle

I'm loving the Slave 1. Few more bags until I'm finished. Even put the stickers on it. Such a good looking model.

Seconded.

I've skipped the last two ship bags to build the stand then call it a night but so far the build has been great and the scale of the thing is fantastic.

As I was building I got to thinking, do we owe the Mini to Slave 1 or vice-versa? I don't have the Mini yet but I'd wager the same green colour came into thinking when they were deciding what sets to do this year.

I bit the bullet and bought the Detective Office from S@H. It will be my first Modular. Hopefully this doesn't take me down a very expensive road...

What's the over/under On the TIE advanced prototype ever going on sale? $40 for the piece number is high but I've already decided I need two, one to build regular and one to moc into Vader's TIE.

Ryuuroden

Finished Bag 2 of Detective Office. Some things to note. The set comes with extra scissors so you end up with 3 scissors. The mirror is locked in place using a method I have thought of using before but hadn't yet. It is a very nifty method imo. The secret passages for the bootleggers are very nicely done. I also really like the way the barber chair is done. So far this set is living up to my expectations in every category. It feels like its telling a story as you build it as well. The staircase is similar to the Pet Shop version but I like the placement in this set much more. I may do a modification in one spot but I need to see how floor 2 is built first. I would say the first floor of this set is just as well done as the Parisian restaurant's first floor. So far its a 10/10 modular. The build has not been boring at all and because of the fact its like 2 buildings there has been a lot of different variations in build and parts and color. This may be the least repetitive modular ever but I still have 2 floors to go.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
These Aviation Adventure sets are so awesome. I built the boat the other day and now I'm building the helicopter. So much fun and just really well designed. And I'm saving the plane for last because I like that one the most.

robochimp

What's the over/under On the TIE advanced prototype ever going on sale? $40 for the piece number is high but I've already decided I need two, one to build regular and one to moc into Vader's TIE.

I'm sure it will be on sale for around $32- 36 at some point. I just built Vader's TIE using the prototype and sold the extra minifigs individually on ebay for a total of $40.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Okay LEGO GAF, you got me. Went to my store and grabbed dem Birds along with the Double-Decker Couch, Elsa's Sparkling Castle and the last 4 Series 13 minifigs I needed. The Flower Cart is so cute.

ghostmindstarwarsgif.webm

ruxtpin

Banned
Anyone who finished the Slave 1... What's the best way to pick this ship up? I'm still struggling to find a good hold point.

Well I think i'm gonna end up just buying a few sets and holding off on Slave 1 till I can actually get to a Lego store or something.

Ravek

Banned
Long-ish post?

I am deploying within a few months for six months. Obviously, while I'm gone a lot of new awesome sets will be coming out. So, here is my predicament:

I want to order LEGO sets while I'm gone. However, I'm in the middle of a divorce and won't have a house to send the LEGO sets to while I'm gone.

I asked one of my buddies who isn't deploying if I could send the sets to his house while I was gone. He said no problem and that him and his two daughters don't like "Legos", so they wouldn't get an itch to open/play/build. (He's a good guy despite his lack of love/interest)

Regardless, I plan on ordering a lot of sets while I'm gone and I don't want to overrun his house with packages.

Therefore my question is: Do I have any other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom