• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

neonglow

I went to the Lego store to pick up a bunch of series 13 minifigures and the valentine set. Tried to add Star Wars and Friends set to get all three promos but they denied me. Told me limit one promotion at a time though they did let me redeem the minifigure coupon from the calendar.

Did anyone else have a different experience?

I order the Detective Office. Is that modular?

hqdYTbh.gif

Is it your first modular? If so, prepare to go for that theme HARD. That seems to be a black hole for everyone once they dip in. At least from what I noticed. Thankfully, there is only one of them per year, but that is also what makes them so special.

Caladrius

Is it your first modular? If so, prepare to go for that theme HARD. That seems to be a black hole for everyone once they dip in. At least from what I noticed. Thankfully, there is only one of them per year, but that is also what makes them so special.

Wrong, I haven't bought any since my first two.

Because I'm broke as crap. (Also the reason why I don't post much in here anymore. :[

chimster

Long-ish post?

I am deploying within a few months for six months. Obviously, while I'm gone a lot of new awesome sets will be coming out. So, here is my predicament:

I want to order LEGO sets while I'm gone. However, I'm in the middle of a divorce and won't have a house to send the LEGO sets to while I'm gone.

I asked one of my buddies who isn't deploying if I could send the sets to his house while I was gone. He said no problem and that him and his two daughters don't like "Legos", so they wouldn't get an itch to open/play/build. (He's a good guy despite his lack of love/interest)

Regardless, I plan on ordering a lot of sets while I'm gone and I don't want to overrun his house with packages.

Therefore my question is: Do I have any other options?

For 6 months I wouldn't worry too much about new stuff getting out of print, more so for the more limited sets like the Lego Ideas sets which shouldn't be too many.

I would get the stuff that you want that are already on shelves now and worry about the new sets 6 months down the road.

I'd get any store exclusives cuz those can disappear. Like the Target zombies set was well above msrp after 6 months. But anything via s@h that's new is probably ok to wait.

Caladrius

You own more than one. My point still stands. :)

And sorry to hear about the financials. I know we don't help.

I'll be alright eventually.Thanks. If I can get some work I can probably resume making purchases. (though it is problematic since I'm an absolute greenhorn, and I imagine employers balk at my prior residence history.)

Buidling toys never present too much of a problem as far as restraint goes anyway, at least. Since I don't really have attachment to characters in building toy lines all that much (Bionicle aside) it's a lot easier for me to say "No" if the set seems like a bad deal or doesn't suit my needs. It's kind of liberating to be able to think in fully pragmatic terms about things you want.

I want to order LEGO sets while I'm gone. However, I'm in the middle of a divorce and won't have a house to send the LEGO sets to while I'm gone.

I asked one of my buddies who isn't deploying if I could send the sets to his house while I was gone. He said no problem and that him and his two daughters don't like "Legos", so they wouldn't get an itch to open/play/build. (He's a good guy despite his lack of love/interest)

Regardless, I plan on ordering a lot of sets while I'm gone and I don't want to overrun his house with packages.

Therefore my question is: Do I have any other options?

First off, good luck on your deployment. Thanks for contributing to what you believe in; lots of us in this thread will be thinking of you, Ravek.

I'm sorry to hear about the family troubles. I hope you're coming out on the positive side of things when all is said and done. My wife owns a law firm and I hear horror stories about family law every day that terrify me. If your biggest problem is where to send the LEGO then you are ahead of the game!

Your friend is offering you the perfect solution. If he wants to serve as a drop-box for LEGO deliveries then you need to take advantage of that!

I'd wager there are a few folks here that would help if you need something shipped. If you have anything that needs to go through Canada, let me know; I'll be glad to help.

You're not wrong Phon. I lasted only 6 months after my first time. I actually just put them all together today too:

More photos can be found here: Jables Swan's Modular road

neonglow

Almost got every single Series 13 minifigure except for Hot Dog Guy. It seems like him and the Samurai are the most popular figures. My favorites out of this group are Classic King, Unicorn Girl, Samurai & Galaxy Trooper.

I went to the Lego store to pick up a bunch of series 13 minifigures and the valentine set. Tried to add Star Wars and Friends set to get all three promos but they denied me. Told me limit one promotion at a time though they did let me redeem the minifigure coupon from the calendar.

Did anyone else have a different experience?

I recall it explicitly states the Friends and Star Wars offers can't be combined with other promotions.

Ah, here it is on the Store Calendar. "May not be combined with other offers".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141038815&postcount=2274

neonglow

I recall it explicitly states the Friends and Star Wars offers can't be combined with other promotions.

Ah, here it is on the Store Calendar. "May not be combined with other offers".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141038815&postcount=2274

That may be the rule, but it seems different stores/cashiers enforce it differently. A couple people in this thread and on Brickset show that people managed to get all 3 promotions at once.

It's alright thought. The other promos are easy enough to get but I'll just have to make more trips during this month,

Not too much new info that we haven't discussed here. It's a very short article that mentions some of the recent big LEGO related crimes.
LEGO is even profitable for those that sell them legally in the aftermarket.

Lego Bricks Are The Uncut Diamonds Of The Modern World – Everybody From Thieves To Drug Dealers Is Interested

Speaking of illegal activities, looks like knockoffs are ramping up their minifig offerings for the new year. A lot more Iron Man armors coming, but the one that caught my eye was a minifig sized Galactus. G-A-L-A-C-T-U-S
Pic I saw was too small to see the quality. It's coming from Sheng-Yuan, one of the "higher quality" knockoffs. They are making Clash of Clans minifigs too.

neonglow

Not too much new info that we haven't discussed here. It's a very short article that mentions some of the recent big LEGO related crimes.
LEGO is even profitable for those that sell them legally in the aftermarket.

Lego Bricks Are The Uncut Diamonds Of The Modern World – Everybody From Thieves To Drug Dealers Is Interested

Speaking of illegal activities, looks like knockoffs are ramping up their minifig offerings for the new year. A lot more Iron Man armors coming, but the one that caught my eye was a minifig sized Galactus. G-A-L-A-C-T-U-S
Pic I saw was too small to see the quality. It's coming from Sheng-Yuan, one of the "higher quality" knockoffs. They are making Clash of Clans minifigs too.

Sometimes I wish LEGO didn't get too popular. We seem to be getting more varied sets but at the same time, it's sometimes hard for people to get some sets like the Tumbler or Research Institute. 50%+ discounts seem to also have disappeared.

He seems like a good choice. Or you can send them to me

:D

You might also want to check may be there is a POBox that will hold stuffs for long period.

Anyone who finished the Slave 1... What's the best way to pick this ship up? I'm still struggling to find a good hold point.

I don't think there is a good way....... Makes the B-wing look easy to handle.

My only downside on the Slave 1 is
when it's in the stand you can see daylight through the ship out between the engines. Going to need to plug that up for for it to display properly.

Small complaint though as the whole thing is magnificent.

Built the Snowspeeder tonight. Fun, but a bit disappointing after the building the Milano last night :) I knew it would be a much quicker build due to its size, but the disappointing part was the repetition, as the two wings are 95% mirror images and that's 2/3 of the build. It's obvious from looking at the box, but I hadn't thought of that before I started. Still, it has a lot of cool pieces and I learnt some things, so it's still a win for me overall. It will also look awesome once I've built my AT-AT! :D

Heading out to buy some storage tomorrow. I don't have enough room for all these builds, so I need to start tearing them down and start MOCing, which was always my intention. I've decided to throw all my sets together, so I'm going to buy a bunch of those Stanley Sortmaster-style organisers, and go from there. They don't have the Stanley ones over here for some reason (at least I can't find them), but I can find a slightly smaller version by another brand for $5 each! They should fit nicely under my bed.

I started building Spaceship x3 last night while my daughters are building their Mixels and MineCraft sets. We didn't finish before their bedtime, so we'll have to pickup later today and finish what we started.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Heading out to buy some storage tomorrow. I don't have enough room for all these builds, so I need to start tearing them down and start MOCing, which was always my intention. I've decided to throw all my sets together, so I'm going to buy a bunch of those Stanley Sortmaster-style organisers, and go from there. They don't have the Stanley ones over here for some reason (at least I can't find them), but I can find a slightly smaller version by another brand for $5 each! They should fit nicely under my bed.

will be curious to see what you do, though I'll probably go out tonight anyway. You and I are on basically the same page. Hell, I even googled "how to store your legos" and the best (for me) consensus seems to be

store by part type regardless of color
storage/tool/crafting drawers

seems to be the easiest for finding parts both for MOC and also to rebuild sets.

Ravek

Banned
For 6 months I wouldn't worry too much about new stuff getting out of print, more so for the more limited sets like the Lego Ideas sets which shouldn't be too many.

I would get the stuff that you want that are already on shelves now and worry about the new sets 6 months down the road.

Im not worried about too many things going out of print. I plan on getting a lot before I head out, just have to wait for disposable money aka tax return.

First off, good luck on your deployment. Thanks for contributing to what you believe in; lots of us in this thread will be thinking of you, Ravek.

I'm sorry to hear about the family troubles. I hope you're coming out on the positive side of things when all is said and done. My wife owns a law firm and I hear horror stories about family law every day that terrify me. If your biggest problem is where to send the LEGO then you are ahead of the game!

Your friend is offering you the perfect solution. If he wants to serve as a drop-box for LEGO deliveries then you need to take advantage of that!

I'd wager there are a few folks here that would help if you need something shipped. If you have anything that needs to go through Canada, let me know; I'll be glad to help.

Thanks you for your words. The divorce is what it is, it sucks mostly for my kids, obviously. We're already seperated, but Virginia law requires a year of seperation before we can finally rid ourselves of the other.

Im thinking he is the best option.

He seems like a good choice. Or you can send them to me

:D

You might also want to check may be there is a POBox that will hold stuffs for long period.

I knew some of you would be all too eager to lend a hand, :).

And I'm not sure there is a P.O. box that can store everything I plan to get.

Thanks for the help though guys!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So uh guys, I need help

I usually buy physical items from Amazon.com and have the items shipped to be via Johnny Air. It's a shipping service from the Philippines which follows the steps - you purchase something from Amazon with details featuring one of Johnny Airoffices in the US as the address to be sent, have the item sent to the office you picked, have said item be sent from their US office to their local office in the Philippines, and finally have said item shipped from the local office to the pick-up branch you picked.

Normally it's smooth because there are no shipping restrictions.

But in amazon, I saw this...

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses. For APO/FPO shipments, please check with the manufacturer regarding warranty and support issues.

What does it mean? I noticed all Lego products have that. Does this mean I can't use the any of the office addresses because they aren't military addresses?

Does anybody have an extra 5001622 LEGO Employee polybag that they'd be willing to trade for? We gave away my calendar (that had the coupon) to an unexpected child guest on Christmas eve before I realized I was giving away my sweet, sweet polybag.

Just got back from the LEGO store. Used some Christmas money to get Slave 1, Detective Agency a small PAB cup (they had doors!).

I've bought too much in the last two weeks. I'm done!

Called up Lego and yeah, they're completely sold out of the AT-DP polys. I didn't think they would go so fast but free with any star wars purchase would mean it would go like hotcakes. I got one off ebay so i'll at least have it.

Went back to Walmart with my gift card. Kept worrying I'd miss out on it since it was the only one they had. Can't wait to build the ship tonight.

Nitemare1

Ordered the birds this morning and decided not to pull the trigger on Slave 1. I really like it but my interest is turning towards the modular buildings lately and I'd much rather get the detective office sooner than later I think.

I just noticed it was out of stock until mid Jan. I'm almost positive it was showing in stock this morning. Or am I cracking up?

Ponn

Banned
After 3 days she is finally finished THE SEA COW YARRRRR!

I had to redo the one mast with the guns because the instructions weren't very clear on using the long axle piece in the unmarked bag and not the one that came in the numbered bag I was on. Other than that it was a fun build. Still feels very fragile and the propeller builds on the back aren't very solid builds and keep falling off at the slightest rub or hit. Definitely not a set for kids or touching just display somewhere. I really liked some of the techniques like building the giant middle steam silo/pipe. I was a little bummed at first when I learned the sails weren't fabric like other ones but after putting it together and seeing them they work for the set. I also have to agree with some of the reviews out there saying about the details in the cabins being hard to see. Really i appreciate the attention to detail but since its incredibly hard to see anything more or less touch the stuff it seemed rather pointless. Overall i'm glad I got it and its already gotten some oh's and ah's from family members who have seen it.

MisterNoisy

Nowhere near the haul some of you guys have picked up lately, but my local Target had the 2015 DC Comics stuff in, so I picked up the Darkseid Invasion set for myself and Brainiac Attack for my buddy. Really dig the Darkseid figure and the Javelin build, while both sets came with a TON of figures overall. Great little kits.

neonglow

Nowhere near the haul some of you guys have picked up lately, but my local Target had the 2015 DC Comics stuff in, so I picked up the Darkseid Invasion set for myself and Brainiac Attack for my buddy. Really dig the Darkseid figure and the Javelin build, while both sets came with a TON of figures overall. Great little kits.

Nice pickup and you actually got a deal. BTW, Target has mispriced the Darkseid Invasion set. They're selling it for $60 while it should be $70.

Ryuuroden

This Detective Office is continuing to blow me away with its little touches. I am on to the final bag and there is a very decent chance I might rate it over Parisian Restaurant. There are only a couple areas that Parisian restaurant stands over it and the main one is a totally subjective reason (the Parisian restaurant is much prettier to look at but that's because of the type of building it is supposed to be.) The realism and attention to detail in this building is equal or better than PR. Final much longer review will come when I finish it but my bet is I will probably rate it at the same level as PR as it beats PR in some categories and PR beats it in some categories.

Rootbeer

Banned
Almost got every single Series 13 minifigure except for Hot Dog Guy. It seems like him and the Samurai are the most popular figures. My favorites out of this group are Classic King, Unicorn Girl, Samurai & Galaxy Trooper.

I had the most trouble feeling for the archaeologist which is actually one that I wanted the most. Lots of people were standing around for a long time trying to get a hot dog guy and unicorn -- luckily I felt those out pretty early. I spent a lot of time helping other people get minifigs, but I didn't have all day despite how fun it is. :)

The store was good about replenishing the minifigs as people bought them. They bought a new box anytime the bags got down to about 10 to 15 left.

I'm wondering if they sold out that day or not? No idea how many they tend to get in. But they definitely sold at least 5 full boxes worth while I was there.

People were filling minifigs in the plastic cups or in some cases, they were pulling slave Is and Detective Offices from the back so fast that they were just giving the shipping boxes to people and letting them fill them up with sets/minifigs, pretty decent makeshift cart -- btw, that definitely is an issue at LEGO stores... they don't give you anything to hold your stuff in. VERY annoying on minifigure launch days in particular.

That may be the rule, but it seems different stores/cashiers enforce it differently. A couple people in this thread and on Brickset show that people managed to get all 3 promotions at once.

It's alright thought. The other promos are easy enough to get but I'll just have to make more trips during this month,
At my store I was able to get all 3 polybags in one purchase. I think limiting the promos to one per purchase is just putting a lot more pressure on LEGO store employees because now suddenly tons of people are going to try to get around the limit by making multiple purchases, slowing things down.

If they have well over the $75 limit and have qualifying items, just give them the damn polybags! :p

I know that at my store, that would have been a disaster because it was already brimming with tons and tons of people. I saw over 200 people there in the first two hours, and I may be underestimating

Ryuuroden

Btw, I am wondering how much you all would mind me talking about the Detective Office. Like will you mind if I post pictures or would that be too spoilery? I was figuring I would put some stuff in spoiler tags maybe but we all have seen pictures already so I don't see the harm of build in progress pictures that show areas in more detail or parts I liked.

Btw, I am wondering how much you all would mind me talking about the Detective Office. Like will you mind if I post pictures or would that be too spoilery? I was figuring I would put some stuff in spoiler tags maybe but we all have seen pictures already so I don't see the harm of build in progress pictures that show areas in more detail or parts I liked.

I want to know everything, that way I know how much I need it. :)

My local LEGO store did not have any of the new Mixels out. It was a madhouse with kids out of school and a lot of adults on holiday so I didn't ask why not.

Picked up CMFs and Birds set.

Noticed the Build-A-Minifig had a bunch of CMF parts and accessories.
- Brown spikey hair from sleepy head CMF
- Black hiar with silver headphones
- Surfboard from CMF Series 1 surfer I believe
- Pierrot clown clown hat
- Boombox - I think I've seen it in BAM previously.
- Baseball cap. Not sure if from one with mitt or baseball bat CMF.
There were other new stuff in there, the one that stuck out to me was
- Nindroid torso from Ninjago.

EDIT: $75 and Store Employee polybag coupon were stackable at my LEGO store. Friends and Star Wars promos were not allowed to stack.
I will go after work again and see if I can get a Millenium Falcon Micro Build and free polybag. I think after the weekend, they may run out of stock of those AT-DP polybags. I hope not, but it was a madhouse and I'm sure it will continue until Monday next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom