• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Friday (the 9th), would be a good day for a Helicarrier announcement.

No it wouldn't! Seems like the Tumbler just came out!
I can't afford all this good stuff. My problem is I like too many genres/themes.
I personally will get Helicarrier over Batman Tumbler if I have to choose between those two...that is if the Helicarrier is awesome.

Ponn

Banned
No it wouldn't! Seems like the Tumbler just came out!
I can't afford all this good stuff. My problem is I like too many genres/themes.
I personally will get Helicarrier over Batman Tumbler if I have to choose between those two...that is if the Helicarrier is awesome.

It's totally going to suck....

the money out of my wallet.

Quotient

I have recently started to buy my 2 year old daughter alot of Lego Duplo and it was a surprise to me how much over msrp older, out of print, sets sell for online. Some sets may just be a few months or years out of print and they sell for 100% markup.

I'm almost considering of buying sets just to flip in a few years.

Caladrius

I have recently started to buy my 2 year old daughter alot of Lego Duplo and it was a surprise to me how much over msrp older, out of print, sets sell for online. Some sets may just be a few months or years out of print and they sell for 100% markup.

If you sell it, they will come.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I got Silver Mine Shootout in the mail today! I've got quite a bit of time off this week, so I'm really looking forward to doing some building. I've got that, Birds, one of the small Galaxy Squad ships, and some variations of Creator sets to build still, so I've got a lot to look forward to!

I got Silver Mine Shootout in the mail today! I've got quite a bit of time off this week, so I'm really looking forward to doing some building. I've got that, Birds, one of the small Galaxy Squad ships, and some variations of Creator sets to build still, so I've got a lot to look forward to!
Silver Mine, bro. Silver Mine. So awesome.

That is one of those rare sets that I really wish had been released when I was a kid. It is similar to Vampyre Castle in that they are both filled with awesome play features.

That is one of those rare sets that I really wish had been released when I was a kid. It is similar to Vampyre Castle in that they are both filled with awesome play features.

Shoot. I need to MOC silver mine and vampire castle into one appalling freak of a landscape. Dracula's wealth has to come from someplace.

monster fighters for theme of the year, all years.

I still say they need a Halloween village set each year like they do for Winter Village.

But
But
But I'd never have disposable income again. I'd have to stop collecting amiibo, never buy another video game, and be my friend group's designated driver for life. I'd buy four of every village set and build behemoths.

Granted, with my backlog I'd barely notice the absence of new games if I avoided gaming-side.

wait.
there are disney princess legos
therefore other disney properties are fair game.
Therefore lego is currently in the process of wasting valuable seconds they could be spending on a Nightmare Before Christmas line.
Dangit Disney. You still bother putting Jack's face all over the haunted mansion every fall. sell this as a seasonal settt.

Ponn

Banned
I still say they need a Halloween village set each year like they do for Winter Village.

If they are making deals with Disney a Halloweentown set would be top notch.

I didn't get around to it this year but with Joker Funland coming out i'd still like to do a creepy carnival scene. The Mixer and Ferris Wheel would be perfect additions. If that Scooby Doo rumor comes true that would fit into that perfectly as well.

UCS Mystery Machine!
Brick built letters just to be difficult.

JCuHAlrl.jpg

Main display shelf up. Empty space ready for Detective Office.

I don't think I will be keeping as much built as I used to. Might break down the trains and put the pieces into the collective. Might also do the same to Ewok Village.

neonglow

So... Any chance of another MOC contest any time soon? :)

I'm in. Does every region have all the 2015 Creator sets? That's usually the theme where we pick from.

I'd recommend using either one of these sets since the piece count is 200+ & MSRP is $15. I think most people will have the budget for that.

MisterNoisy

I'm in. Does every region have all the 2015 Creator sets? That's usually the theme where we pick from.

I'd recommend using either one of these sets since the piece count is 200+ & MSRP is $15. I think most people will have the budget for that.

The Red Creatures set is pretty close to the Prehistoric Hunters set from Contest 2, so maybe something else? Rainforest Animals, Future Flyers or just an unrestricted MOC/theme thing?

Welcome!

As a fellow Classic Space fan, I urge you to get Spaceship X 3. I have it, but have not built it yet. However, everywhere I've read it's had very positive reviews. I saw a video review and was surprised how many play features they were able to incorporate and have a lot of nods to the classic space spaceships.

I definitely will be picking it up. I would have gotten it already if other stuff the Haunted House and Galaxy Squad hadn't been getting hard to find. It really does look like the perfect homage to Classic Space.

Awesome stuff! That Knight's Tournament is one of the first two or three Castle sets ever released, so it's pretty rare. Was all of that yours? There's Lego all the way from 1978 to 1992-ish, so I'm guessing you're... 35 or 36?

I had similar pictures a year or so ago, when I looted all my old stored boxes. I've since sorted out most of my old sets and completed them with missing parts, which was a lot of fun. Especially those idea books, there were always so many impressive buildings that I never had enough parts for.

You were close; I'm 37. Just about all of it was originally mine. I think the Fabuland stuff may have been a hand-me-down from my cousin, but even the early 80's space sets and Knight's Tournament was bought for me. Looking at the ancient catalogs, it seems like Lego kept the early sets around for quite awhile. Can't wait to bring it all home. Most of the bricks should be intact, though some small pieces definitely went missing over the years and I know not all the space guy's helmets survived. I love that it's fairly easy to buy specific single pieces now.

The Lego Idea books were great, but it always frustrated me when I didn't have the parts to make what they did.

I'm surprised Duplo sets resell at much higher prices. I skipped Duplo for my kids because they are extremely expensive and I thought my kids would outgrow them then what? I guess if there is an aftermarket demand for them that's the answer.

Just because the price is high doesn't necessarily mean the set is worth that much. Sometimes resellers/speculators will put prices on the extreme high side in case someone buys it. Speculating on LEGO sets can be profitable, but it's highly speculative. You also need a lot of space to store them. Seems like most of the high priced sets UCS and Modulars do well in aftermarket. That's how I rationalize buying them...that I could always sell them later to get my money back. :)

Vargas

I gotta stop reading this thread lol. I see y'all getting hundereds of dollars worth of Lego on a regular basis and it just makes me feel like I gotta get more and more to keep up each time I make a purchase or get a present. There was a day when I was satisfied with a few toys for months but now it only lasts a few weeks at most

I need to stop going to the Lego store, especially the one in Rockefeller Plaza, fricken tourist tax.

I blame all of you. I have even more stuff coming from amazon tomorrow. I think I am up to 4 flower carts with another coming from S@H. Fedex needs to stop messing around and let me know when the Detective's Office is coming in.

That camper van is a killer set. So tight.

I finished the first floor of the restaurant tonight. You know what sucks? Including cheese wedges that are both yellow and "sometimes" yellow in the same bag, let alone the same step. I thought I was missing an orange piece for several steps.

Overall, floor #1 is on par with Town Hall floor #1. Very, very good. So much unnecessary detail.

Rootbeer

Banned
Always happy to see proper head/helmet pieces for SH characters. I still think Cap looks a bit off without one so that he can hold his own against Batman and Ironman in the looks department.

They gave The Flash one so...

Looking good, Ultron baddie.

wetwired

Always happy to see proper head/helmet pieces for SH characters. I still think Cap looks a bit off without one so that he can hold his own against Batman and Ironman in the looks department.

Yeah Cap always looks a bit off to me without a moulded helmet, I've never been a fan of visible studs on heads

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah Cap always looks a bit off to me without a moulded helmet, I've never been a fan of visible studs on heads

it's a very iconic look but i don't like when LEGO releases minifigures that are meant to show the stud at all times, even for bald characters i'm a bit conflicted -- but at least i can forgive it in that case.

Though the next time LEGO releases an Alfred minifigure, they better use the CMF Grandpa bald head hairpiece. :)

Spider-Man looks wrong for the same reason. I like that, because of the stud, you can make spider-man wear hats and stuff on his head but it comes at the expense of looking a bit weird.

Imagine if LEGO kept Iron Man like this

Sh027.jpg

*shivers*

I totally LOVE what LEGO has done with the 2015 Batman cowl. It no longer looks like Batman is wearing an enormous bucket on his head, it is a lot sleaker and more in to scale with how it should be. So they are moving in a good direction and improving... but there is a way to go.

(starting with a Captain America helmet)

nny

Man, I'm exercising a great deal of restraint right now not getting any 2015 sets. In February I will be spending 6 months abroad so there will be no purchases for me in the near future. I think I should stop visiting this thread during that time, it will only make things worse ;P

Rootbeer

Banned
I also vote for a themed contest rather than set-based.

Needs to be theme based this time. There have been several set based ones already and I think Phon & other regular participants have a feel by now at the level of participation to expect based on its inherent limitations, one being that you are required to buy or already own a specific set to participate.

Try something different, there are lots of people out there with LEGO laying around that they could dig out of the closet to participate, stuff like that. Opens the doors a lot.

The challenge is coming up with a theme that has the right appeal to it, and also setting other guidelines to encourage participation but not get too crazy or overwhelming

Sooo, I ordered the Detective Office as my first modular and before it even arrived I ordered the Parisian Restaurant off of Amazon with some credit I had there. These things really are addictive...

Sooo, I ordered the Detective Office as my first modular and before it even arrived I ordered the Parisian Restaurant off of Amazon with some credit I had there. These things really are addictive...

I feel like this is the obvious next step in my LEGO building process.

But I'm resisting as hard as I can. So expensive.

Ponn

Banned
Needs to be theme based this time. There have been several set based ones already and I think Phon & other regular participants have a feel by now at the level of participation to expect based on its inherent limitations, one being that you are required to buy or already own a specific set to participate.

Try something different, there are lots of people out there with LEGO laying around that they could dig out of the closet to participate, stuff like that. Opens the doors a lot.

The challenge is coming up with a theme that has the right appeal to it, and also setting other guidelines to encourage participation but not get too crazy or overwhelming

Seconded.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this month promo went so fast. I hope this is not the norm going forward. I am thinking this is because of the "any" Star Wars or any "Friends" set get you the polybag so people could just throw in some Star Wars or Friends and get freebie.

hmmblah

LEGO S@H is all out of the polybags from this month. According to FBTB the Star Wars one sold out by Jan 2!!

http://www.fbtb.net/2015/01/05/lego-shophome-all-out-of-the-promotional-polys/

Has this ever happened before?

Damn, was finally going to purchase Parisian Restaurant. Not a good time for it, but really wanted the flower cart. Instead, I just purchased the cart on Amazon for $12.95. Now I can save PR for double VIP or another promotion. Although by then the Detective Office will be in stock so I'll need to grab that too....

it's a very iconic look but i don't like when LEGO releases minifigures that are meant to show the stud at all times, even for bald characters i'm a bit conflicted -- but at least i can forgive it in that case.

Though the next time LEGO releases an Alfred minifigure, they better use the CMF Grandpa bald head hairpiece. :)

Spider-Man looks wrong for the same reason. I like that, because of the stud, you can make spider-man wear hats and stuff on his head but it comes at the expense of looking a bit weird.

Imagine if LEGO kept Iron Man like this

Sh027.jpg

*shivers*

I totally LOVE what LEGO has done with the 2015 Batman cowl. It no longer looks like Batman is wearing an enormous bucket on his head, it is a lot sleaker and more in to scale with how it should be. So they are moving in a good direction and improving... but there is a way to go.

(starting with a Captain America helmet)

I'm mixed on the studs showing, but I lean towards liking/accepting it. As Zulithe mentioned, it is part of the iconic look. LEGO system is about the parts being flexible and interchangeable. LEGO could have easily made a new head mould that excluded the studs for the bald look. IMO, being able to attach pieces to the heads wins. :)

Regarding Iron Man's helmet, I recall a lot of people not liking it as it was too big. They liked the flipping up of the helmet face, but didn't like the size. I was one of those people. Now I'm used to it and the non-helmet version doesn't look as good.

We have the sort and do not sort sides.
Now we have the like studs on heads and do not like studs on head.

LEGO is dividing us!!!

Naw, they aren't addictive. Buy a few more. ;)

That Ultron head would actually work out well if in blue and a "A" print for a cap america hood.

Ryuuroden

What should I build next; Tumbler or Mini Cooper?

EDIT: deleted what I posted before because I don't want to be linked to it. Too many crazy fuckers out there who might hunt me down and kill me or something even if I had nothing to do with it.

Kipp

I just had a very proud MOCing moment. I was trying to make an awning for a micro house and by chance figured out that the little swivel pieces fit into the skeleton legs:

I haven't ever really done any MOCing (besides really, really basic stuff when I was younger), so figuring out these kinds of things is new to me and feels awesome.

The rest of the house didn't really turn out all that great, but I was really pleased about figuring that out.

Also, trying to do a micro MOC made me realize two things. One, I really ought to organize my bricks sometime. Digging through giant bins, especially for very specific tiny pieces, is hopeless (for one example, I obviously would've preferred a 2x4 flat piece for that awning rather than two 2x2 pieces). Two, I really need more cheese slops. And flat (or whatever you call the pieces without studs on top) pieces in general. But since the cheese slopes came out during my dark ages, I have none (besides the few I've gotten in the sets I've bought in the past few weeks), and they seem so essential.

Ryuuroden

I just had a very proud MOCing moment. I was trying to make an awning for a micro house and by chance figured out that the little swivel pieces fit into the skeleton legs:

I haven't ever really done any MOCing (besides really, really basic stuff when I was younger), so figuring out these kinds of things is new to me and feels awesome.

The rest of the house didn't really turn out all that great, but I was really pleased about figuring that out.

Also, trying to do a micro MOC made me realize two things. One, I really ought to organize my bricks sometime. Digging through giant bins, especially for very specific tiny pieces, is hopeless (for one example, I obviously would've preferred a 2x4 flat piece for that awning rather than two 2x2 pieces). Two, I really need more cheese slops. And flat (or whatever you call the pieces without studs on top) pieces in general. But since the cheese slopes came out during my dark ages, I have none (besides the few I've gotten in the sets I've bought in the past few weeks), and they seem so essential.

Wow, great job. Also a great example of why LEGO is so great with all the interchangeability. By the way, you should totally feel ultra proud with that as I have not seen that done before so kudos and it gives me some ideas for Orthanc.

Kipp

Wow, great job. Also a great example of why LEGO is so great with all the interchangeability. By the way, you should totally feel ultra proud with that as I have not seen that done before so kudos and it gives me some ideas for Orthanc.

Thanks so much! That makes me so happy to hear! I kinda figured it had all been done before and I was just discovering some old news, but that's really neat! I'm glad I was able to give you some ideas!

And also, I revamped the house to make something slightly better to go along with the awning. I'm much happier with it now, as it was essentially just a square before.

I also figured out a solution for a micro door, which I couldn't work out the first time around. I used one of those palisade bricks since they're a little rounded on the edges and it manages to give the outline of the door where just a normal 1x1 brick wouldn't.

I still wish I had some green flat pieces to get rid of the studs on the ground though. And I wish I could find some cone-shaped green pieces instead of the cylinders. Oh well. Good enough for now. Haha

Very nice technique!
Green studs add character to the build (I do get what you mean though). They are small shrubs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom