• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this month promo went so fast. I hope this is not the norm going forward. I am thinking this is because of the "any" Star Wars or any "Friends" set get you the polybag so people could just throw in some Star Wars or Friends and get freebie.

The definitely sold out much quicker by removing the typical "with purchases of $75 or more" barrier to entry.

I still wish I had some green flat pieces to get rid of the studs on the ground though. And I wish I could find some cone-shaped green pieces instead of the cylinders. Oh well. Good enough for now. Haha

Nah, think of it this way: studs are "natural" and anything smooth is "man-made."

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kinda bummed that the flower cart is already all gone. I was tentatively planning to buy Pet Shop before the end of the month so that I could get that as well.
The Lego store I bought Birds at the other day had the flower cart still, but there wasn't really anything else that I had to have (and I need to wait until the end of the month to maybe buy Pet Shop) so I couldn't reach $75.

Green studs add character to the build (I do get what you mean though). They are small shrubs. :)

Nah, think of it this way: studs are "natural" and anything smooth is "man-made."

Haha. True enough. Thanks guys. :p

What should I build next; Tumbler or Mini Cooper?

EDIT: deleted what I posted before because I don't want to be linked to it. Too many crazy fuckers out there who might hunt me down and kill me or something even if I had nothing to do with it.

Mini Cooper is the superior set of those two. But the Tumbler is a more intricate build.

I just had a very proud MOCing moment. I was trying to make an awning for a micro house and by chance figured out that the little swivel pieces fit into the skeleton legs:

I haven't ever really done any MOCing (besides really, really basic stuff when I was younger), so figuring out these kinds of things is new to me and feels awesome.

The rest of the house didn't really turn out all that great, but I was really pleased about figuring that out.

Also, trying to do a micro MOC made me realize two things. One, I really ought to organize my bricks sometime. Digging through giant bins, especially for very specific tiny pieces, is hopeless (for one example, I obviously would've preferred a 2x4 flat piece for that awning rather than two 2x2 pieces). Two, I really need more cheese slops. And flat (or whatever you call the pieces without studs on top) pieces in general. But since the cheese slopes came out during my dark ages, I have none (besides the few I've gotten in the sets I've bought in the past few weeks), and they seem so essential.

WHOA. I never thought of using the skeleton grips and the top of the hinge blocks. That is brilliant.

Always happy to see proper head/helmet pieces for SH characters. I still think Cap looks a bit off without one so that he can hold his own against Batman and Ironman in the looks department.

They gave The Flash one so...

Looking good, Ultron baddie.
You'd think LEGO would've corrected that with upcoming cap minifigure but nope, I would have settled for a slight variation of the Flash helmet with the propper color.

*Sorry if this is the wrong thread.*

Looking for balloon cart, hot dog cart, and flower cart polybags. Hoping to get all three from one GAFer. I have other polybags/stuff to trade: AT-DP, Harry Potter lab, Ninjago Zane, CMF 10, 11, 12 and movie minifigs and other polybags. Let me know. Thanks!

I popped off the arms of my 2 new Galaxy Troopers and put them on some extra Galaxy Squad torsos; there's a noticeable difference in quality between the regular lego minifigs and the CMFs (which I assume are made in the new China factory).

The Trooper's arms are noticeably looser when put into the Galaxy Squad torsos, while the GS arms are fine in the GT torsos. They look much better, though.

Just picked up the Architecture set of the Sydney Opera house for $10.40 at Target. Not a huge fan of the set, but for the price I couldnt pass it up

I heard it looks good, but a lot of the build is kind of boring. Any truth?
The build is okay overall, with a few really neat parts. It looks fantastic when done, but for me, it is a glorified parts pack.

But for as okay as the build was, it really does look awesome when done.

Of the two massive landmark sets, Tower Bridge is better.

Ravek

Banned
The build is okay overall, with a few really neat parts. It looks fantastic when done, but for me, it is a glorified parts pack.

But for as okay as the build was, it really does look awesome when done.

Of the two massive landmark sets, Tower Bridge is better.

Im actually glad you brought up Tower Bridge. Next month I plan on getting the Death Star and was seriously considering the Tower Bridge as well. It looks awesome and massive. Additionally, the price to piece ratio is insanely great.

Toxi

Banned
Went to target for some Bionicle and got 70790 Lord of Skull Spiders. Heard some negative things about the set, but I love how it looks and I love using the silly play function with the legs. The build has some neat technic stuff so it's not too simple. There's no place to attach the golden mask, but it sits pretty comfortably on the head as a crown.

There were some conspicuous empty spots on the Target shelves. Looks like the scalpers are having a field day.

Im actually glad you brought up Tower Bridge. Next month I plan on getting the Death Star and was seriously considering the Tower Bridge as well. It looks awesome and massive. Additionally, the price to piece ratio is insanely great.
Do you MOC? If so, Tower Bridge is an insane deal.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
shipi8u4n.png

Oh god yes

So a guys trying to give me a series 13 minifig code but he's not sure which number corresponds to which character. Anyone have an idea?

Vargas

God, no kidding. Went in to the Madison Square NYC shop today. Slave one was $220!

Toys R Us in Time Square is even worst! They had the Sea Cow for $319.99. They did have one Lego Research Institute which I picked up for 20. No one has the double decker couch. I must have it since it has eluded me.

wertherian

Neo Member
Toys R Us in Time Square is even worst! They had the Sea Cow for $319.99. They did have one Lego Research Institute which I picked up for 20. No one has the double decker couch. I must have it since it has eluded me.

Bunch of double decker couches today in Madison Square. I ordered mine online 1/1.

(Along with Slave 1, Detective Agency, Tie Advanced Prototype, Batman/Super Angry Kitty, T-16 Skyhopper, Ezra's Speeder Bike, Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle and, of course, Birds.) Oh god my credit card bill.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm pretty new around this thread, so this is likely way too much information, but I can't help but tell anyone who will listen right now.

So I've mentioned a couple times in here that I couldn't buy any modulars or other big sets right now because I was probably going to be buying a house in the next month or two.

So anyways, I just got an email saying I got pre-approved for a loan. Which I was very happy about.
I was planning to move out there with my best friend, so right after I found out, I called him all excited telling him "It's actually happening!" and whatnot.

So after I get all the excitement out of my system he's like "Uuuhhh. This is awkward. So I've actually been dreading calling you..."

So he's been dating this girl for two weeks.
He goes on to tell me that today he was looking at engagement rings and he's 100% certain she's "the one." And like, he wants to ask her to marry him in the next couple weeks and they want to get married in March.

So yeah. Back on topic, next double VIP that comes up, Pet Shop is mine.

Vargas

Bunch of double decker couches today in Madison Square. I ordered mine online 1/1.

(Along with Slave 1, Detective Agency, Tie Advanced Prototype, Batman/Super Angry Kitty, T-16 Skyhopper, Ezra's Speeder Bike, Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle and, of course, Birds.) Oh god my credit card bill.

It just showed up again on S@H so I ordered it.

Boss Doggie

You are in for a very, very good time.

Sure, the VW sticker itself is nerve racking because you only get one chance to put it on and cannot get a replacement from LEGO if you mess it up. But everything else is absolutely A++.

wait

this set uses a sticker?

wait

this set uses a sticker?

A few. The one on the center window is easy, but like many clear stickers, it can get bubbles easily. The license plates are tiny but easy to put on. Same with the posters inside the van.

The kicker is the VW symbol. It is small and circular, and you only get one shot. The set also looks totally off without it, so you really don't want to skimp on putting it on.

My best advice for it is to get the piece in place before applying the sticker so you know it is aligned correctly. Doing it without the piece attached is a recipe for a screw up.

I am not trying to scare you away from the set, as it is one of my personal faves. But it is something to keep in mind.

Rootbeer

Banned
Need that TIE Advanced Prototype poly to go with my normal sized one :)

Trying to stay on top of all polybags this year... i managed to get most of last year's, but my goal this year is to not miss any... lol.

Guess I'll have my Slave I from S@H arriving on the 9th which has all 3 January S@H polybags in it, whoooo

Boss Doggie

A few. The one on the center window is easy, but like many clear stickers, it can get bubbles easily. The license plates are tiny but easy to put on. Same with the posters inside the van.

The kicker is the VW symbol. It is small and circular, and you only get one shot. The set also looks totally off without it, so you really don't want to skimp on putting it on.

My best advice for it is to get the piece in place before applying the sticker so you know it is aligned correctly. Doing it without the piece attached is a recipe for a screw up.

I am not trying to scare you away from the set, as it is one of my personal faves. But it is something to keep in mind.

First time hearing lego using sticker, I always thought thought the design is already printed with the brick.

Rootbeer

Banned
Going over my Brickset... wow, I forgot to add my Arkham Asylum on there, big oversight on my part!

If I only count official minifigs (not bootlegs), I have 18 Batman minifigs (17 if you discount Bruce Wayne from the Batcave). No duplicate sets.

The only two modern in production Batman figs I need are the Tumbler version and the Defend The Batcave version.

I saw that the Winter Village Market back in stock

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9R37JK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

First time hearing lego using sticker, I always thought thought the design is already printed with the brick.
Oh there are plenty of stickers in Lego set. It is really annoying on some of the big set. There are also mix stickers and brick prints like the Erza's speeder set here. If I have to guess it is because the part is rounded dish shape so it got printed instead. It looks mismatch with the front of the speeder using sticker. I really like this set, the bikes are really fun to build and I love the used of colors bricks to simulated texture and paint job. I also find the 2015 sets and series 13 minifig plastic to be of lower quality. Some plastic pieces are really dull and some with poor fitting.

Rootbeer

Banned
Disconcerting to continue hearing claims about lower quality. But if LEGO is going to take QC more seriously, we need something more substantial.

The whole debacle over the new Jumper cracking minifigures is a good one... if the quality is indeed continuing to decline then we should be seeing more examples like this shortly.

I have no qualms jumping off the LEGO ship if they don't start taking it seriously. LEGO is *expensive* and I'm not paying their premium prices if they are cutting corners on quality every chance they get.

Disconcerting to continue hearing claims about lower quality. But if LEGO is going to take QC more seriously, we need something more substantial.

The whole debacle over the new Jumper cracking minifigures is a good one... if the quality is indeed continuing to decline then we should be seeing more examples like this shortly.

I have no qualms jumping off the LEGO ship if they don't start taking it seriously. LEGO is *expensive* and I'm not paying their premium prices if they are cutting corners on quality every chance they get.
I don't think it's Lego fault or intention to skimp. I think it's the Chinese factory they are using to pump out set after set. Not to said ultimately it is not their responsibility but I don't feel it's intentional.

Boss Doggie

There are both pre-printed pieces and stickers, sometimes even in the same set.
Oh there are plenty of stickers in Lego set. It is really annoying on some of the big set. There are also mix stickers and brick prints like the Erza's speeder set here. If I have to guess it is because the part is rounded dish shape so it got printed instead. It looks mismatch with the front of the speeder using sticker. I really like this set, the bikes are really fun to build and I love the used of colors bricks to simulated texture and paint job. I also find the 2015 sets and series 13 minifig plastic to be of lower quality. Some plastic pieces are really dull and some with poor fitting.

Ahh interesting, I always thought the brick would have already have the design so it wouldn't need a sticker.

...and it really shows how long since I last had a lego set. The last lego I had was a System brick box (I think... 300~600 pieces?) and that was more than a decade ago!

So coming from someone who hasn't touched lego for a long time, am I in for a blast with the Volkswagen?

Just woke up. Looked at my FedEx tracking for my order, and it shows it was delivered about twenty minutes ago and left at the front door. YAY!

I have about five and a half hours before work, so I should get building.

Thinking I will begin the day with some Slave 1 action. Or detective office. Not sure.

So coming from someone who hasn't touched lego for a long time, am I in for a blast with the Volkswagen?
VW is one of the best sets of the last few years. An absolute blast to put together, and a fantastic display piece.

Toxi

Banned
I was thinking of mixing mixel stuff with Bionicle stuff. Are there any decent System-Technic or System-CCBS connector pieces? I only remember the bricks with the axle hole.

Boss Doggie

All right, now you guys make me excited!

I looked up another similar model sets... How's the Mini Cooper? Kinda annoyed that Amazon added a whopping 40 USD vs. Lego Shop's price for it (140 USD vs 100 USD).

How often does Lego Shop go on sale?

All right, now you guys make me excited!

I looked up another similar model sets... How's the Mini Cooper? Kinda annoyed that Amazon added a whopping 40 USD vs. Lego Shop's price for it (140 USD vs 100 USD).

How often does Lego Shop go on sale?

LEGO Shop rarely goes on sale. If it does, it is usually to clear things out.

And Mini Cooper is aces as well. A worthy successor to the VW Camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom