• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, now you guys make me excited!

I looked up another similar model sets... How's the Mini Cooper? Kinda annoyed that Amazon added a whopping 40 USD vs. Lego Shop's price for it (140 USD vs 100 USD).

How often does Lego Shop go on sale?

That's not Amazon adding the premium, it's a 3rd party seller listing.

Join the VIP program to earn points (equals 5% back). A couple of times per year they offer double points. If you have a Lego store nearby, ask if they have damaged boxed items as this is the best way to get a discount in the form of extra VIP points.

Keep in mind that once a set is gone, MSRP looks like a bargain.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So when they say Sold Out, it means they're never gonna stock it again online and have to rely on sellers? Lame :(

LEGO Shop rarely goes on sale. If it does, it is usually to clear things out.

And Mini Cooper is aces as well. A worthy successor to the VW Camper.

Ah sweet, I plan on getting it next time. Maybe the Tumbler too.

That's not Amazon adding the premium, it's a 3rd party seller listing.

Join the VIP program to earn points (equals 5% back). A couple of times per year they offer double points. If you have a Lego store nearby, ask if they have damaged boxed items as this is the best way to get a discount in the form of extra VIP points.

Keep in mind that once a set is gone, MSRP looks like a bargain.

No Lego Store in my country. :(

Heads up Video Game money savings:

Lego Batman 3 for Vita or 3DS is currently $9.99 at Best Buy and Amazon (Back ordered though but you'll get the good price).

On phone so can't link.

Apparently unlike all other portable versions of Lego games, this one isn't gimped compared to console/PC (from what I know) and in full 3D, not isometric.

Rootbeer

Banned
Target has the Research Institute in stock if anyone's looking for it.

COME AND GET IT BOYS!

I should buy another strictly for flipping a couple years from now...

target.com gives free shipping with RED Card (and 5% off)
Heads up Video Game money savings:

Lego Batman 3 for Vita or 3DS is currently $9.99 at Best Buy and Amazon (Back ordered though but you'll get the good price).

On phone so can't link.

Apparently unlike all other portable versions of Lego games, this one isn't gimped compared to console/PC (from what I know) and in full 3D, not isometric.
can't order 3ds version on amazon :( you can order the vita version though (like you said -- it's out of stock and will ship when available)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
The LEGO shop an hour away from me has one Pet Shop in stock and still has the flower cart polybags. My sister will be down that way tomorrow. Do I make the drive down today or try my luck waiting until tomorrow...

ghostmind

The LEGO shop an hour away from me has one Pet Shop in stock and still has the flower cart polybags. My sister will be down that way tomorrow. Do I make the drive down today or try my luck waiting until tomorrow...

I think you already know the answer. Time for a drive...

5y4iedI.gif

Kipp

Good news! My sister works at that mall and she's actually working today (I thought she wasn't). I just called and they put it on hold for me and she'll be picking it up for me tonight!
So excited for my first modular. And now I can stop constantly worrying about it going out of stock on me before I can get my hands on it.

Good news! My sister works at that mall and she's actually working today (I thought she wasn't). I just called and they put it on hold for me and she'll be picking it up for me tonight!
So excited for my first modular. And now I can stop constantly worrying about it going out of stock on me before I can get my hands on it.

Great modular to start on. Two separate builds for the price of one, both have some interesting elements, and I think they're two of the most aesthetically pleasing modulars in my opinion. Me, I've set aside some time this weekend to build PR that I got for xmas!!!

Kipp

Great modular to start on. Two separate builds for the price of one, both have some interesting elements, and I think they're two of the most aesthetically pleasing modulars in my opinion. Me, I've set aside some time this weekend to build PR that I got for xmas!!!

Awesome! I'm so excited!
And have fun with PR! That's next in line for me, for whenever I feel like spending a large amount of money on Lego again. Probably whenever Double VIP shows back up. Haha

ghostmind

Awesome! I'm so excited!
And have fun with PR! That's next in line for me, for whenever I feel like spending a large amount of money on Lego again. Probably whenever Double VIP shows back up. Haha

Pet Shop was my first (or maybe it was my second, it's been a while) modular, and still one of my top 3. Enjoy it - I'm sure you'll be glad you got it now, before it goes OOP.

Just got Tahu, Master of Fire. He's probably my favorite of Bionicle 2015 so far, I love his design and how he can surf on his lavaboard and the sword things on his back is super badass. He's really fun to pose too. That's probably the main thing I liked about Bionicle, there's just so much more posability compared to normal action figures

Az9rkIah.jpg

Just got Tahu, Master of Fire. He's probably my favorite of Bionicle 2015 so far, I love his design and how he can surf on his lavaboard and the sword things on his back is super badass. He's really fun to pose too. That's probably the main thing I liked about Bionicle, there's just so much more posability compared to normal action figures

Az9rkIah.jpg

With you on that. I only have Tahu and Onua with his protector but I may grab a few more this weekend. My old Bionicle obsession is kicking back in, not just toy wise but story wise.

ghostmind

via Jedi News:

LEGO news is also provided that reveals at least five sets being released in June: -

75091 Classic Flash Speeder £34.99 ($34.99)
75092 Naboo Starfighter £54.99 ($59.99)
75093 Death Star Final Duel £69.99 ($79.99)
75094 Imperial Shuttle Tydirium £79.99 ($89.99)
75106 Imperial Assault Carrier £99.99 ($119.99)
...and another 13 sets coming later in the year...

75099 Episode VII £19.99 ($19.99)
75100 Episode VII £39.99 ($39.99)
75101 Episode VII £59.99 ($69.99)
75102 Episode VII £69.99 ($79.99)
75103 Episode VII £79.99 ($89.99)
75104 Episode VII £99.99 ($119.99)
75105 Episode VII £129.99 ($149.99)
75107 £14.99 ($14.99)
75108 £14.99 ($14.99)
75109 £19.99 ($19.99)
75110 £19.99 ($19.99)
75111 £24.99 ($24.99)
75112 £29.99 ($29.99)

We've been told that the Millennium Falcon and X-Wing are two of the listed Episode VII LEGO sets.

EDIT: I've added the rough US prices for these sets, based on historical pricing data for this theme (UK compared to US).

EDIT2: These are still RUMORS until we have confirmation. We'll likely be getting some of that in two weeks, at the London Toy Fair.

ghostmind

75093 Death Star Final Duel is much larger than I would have expected, so I'm really looking forward to see what the set looks like.

Good to see that 75094 Imperial Shuttle Tydirium gets a respectable size - probably around 800 pieces.

I am betting that 75105 is the new Force Awakens Millennium Falcon.

And I am betting that there will be a few retail exclusives added to the June releases. And a few more for September/October.

So hyped that the decade of all new Star Wars sets is almost upon us.

neonglow

So many Star Wars sets. I'm still trying to work my way through all of the 2014 sets. I think I have 80%+ of them so far. Trying to collect all of City/Super Heroes/Star Wars is gonna be expensive.

Oh man, the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium sounds perfect for me. Good price point, good piece count. Not too big, not too small. Can't wait.

Kipp

Pet Shop was my first (or maybe it was my second, it's been a while) modular, and still one of my top 3. Enjoy it - I'm sure you'll be glad you got it now, before it goes OOP.

Yeah, I was so worried it was going to go OOP before I got the chance to buy it. I'm so happy that I can stop worrying about that now. Haha
I knew I wanted to buy it eventually, but since I was planning to buy a house in the next month or two, I couldn't buy it now. But now that the house thing isn't going to happen, one of the first things I thought was "Gotta buy Pet Shop." And on top of that, I'll be able to get the Flower Cart too, which I'd almost given up hope on getting!

Kipp

Now Palace Cinema! Even if it is a weak modular, gotta get them all.

Parisian Restaurant is next. Then Detective's Office. I'm already planning to get those. I know it's just a matter of time. Basically I just have to give myself a reasonable amount of time so that I can justify spending the cash again. Haha
Maaaaybe after those two I'll get Palace Cinema if it's still in production. That's the lowest priority though.

Finished Slave 1. Fantastic set, love the look of it. Wish the back was a tad more filled in, as you can see some holes through the cockpit if light is behind it. That's my only real complaint though.

Tumbler got delivered. Haven't opened it but somehow the box feels heavier than the Slave 1's. Might hold off on that one until the weekend though.

As I sit here building Slave 1 and listening to the Star Wars trilogy soundtrack, it dawned on me that I bought ZERO Star Wars sets in 2014. It isn't for lack of wanting. I still need Sandcrawler, AT-AT, and Star Destroyer. But the last Star Wars set I bought before this was Ewok Village back in October 2013.

Kipp

Is it weird that I almost enjoy taking apart sets (with the brick separator of course; it would be misery with bare hands) as much as building them? One of my favorite things about these Creator sets is taking them apart to build the next set of the three.

Is it weird that I almost enjoy taking apart sets (with the brick separator of course; it would be misery with bare hands) as much as building them? One of my favorite things about these Creator sets is taking them apart to build the next set of the three.

Disassembly gives a different perspective on how things go together. I found a new appreciation for Unexpected Gathering as I took it down.

The most difficult ones to disassemble though were Imperial Shuttle and Red Five Sex Wing UCS sets. Those things are a bitch to figure out how certain parts of the set get taken apart.

ghostmind

LEGO Movie 2 spoilers, courtesy of Chris Miller:

"Well I don’t want to give you spoilers but we were really interested in what happens to that boy who’s in the meta story in the first movie when he’s four years older. When he’s an adolescent how does that change his point of view?

"And it’s nice to have the characters start in a different place from the first movie. Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence."

"Well I don’t want to give you spoilers but we were really interested in what happens to that boy who’s in the meta story in the first movie when he’s four years older. When he’s an adolescent how does that change his point of view?

"And it’s nice to have the characters start in a different place from the first movie. Emmet, for example, was in an existential crisis of having seen another dimension and was questioning the whole point of his existence."
Awesome.

B6zb4KiIcAEtQyN.jpg

Your wallet is no good to him dead. Save up, boys and girls. This one is awesome.

Sure, I may be a bit biased when it comes to UCS Star Wars stuff because I love the old movies so much, but I also think that love sets a high bar that something must reach to really blow me away.

So much SNOT. So many off angles. There are studs in every direction. The way some stuff attaches is so simple yet so cool.

No real revolutionary techniques or anything, but it is just an awesome build through and through. I know some on here are not fond of technic frames to hold things together, but this one was one of the more interesting ones because of the angles employed to pull it off.

While the stickers add a bit of character to the build, you could get away without using any of them at all. The only really necessary one is the info plaque, which is a touch I have always loved about UCS sets.

I didn't take many pics of this build, but am toying with starting to do video reviews just for fun and see where it goes.

On a side note, am I the only one that gets particularly excited by building the display stands for UCS sets? That is always one of my favorite parts. They are so simple, yet help add a lot to the set when you display it.

Bring on the UCS TIE Fighter!

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO Star Wars 2015: Wallet Annihilator mode engaged. Hope that $150 set is the Falcon one.

Sooo... yeah, they are definitely going in a Toy Story direction.

I hope they don't retread too much of that territory. I don't want to see the LEGO movies relegated to that.

ghostmind

So once a lego becomes sold out, they'll never restock?

Sometimes they'll find some additional stock, but it rarely lasts long, so you'll see some sets cycling between "Call to check product availability" and "Sold Out". Eventually it will stay on "Sold Out" and then it is done.

Note that "temporarily out of stock" and "out of stock, expected ship date xxx" are different than "sold out".

Another clue will be to take a look at Amazon, Target and TRU, and see what the status of the set is there. That process is hit and miss though, as LEGO often retires sets that have plenty of stock still at retail. The "exclusives" or D2C sets are the ones to really watch though.

EDIT: Also note that when a set is being reported as "sold out" at LEGO stores, that doesn't mean that it is retired. Often it just means that they sold through their initial production allotment, and will be getting more in at a later date. As others have mentioned, you can usually count on 2-5 years of availability, with Ideas sets, retailer exclusives, and the odd theme being exceptions. Lately though, LEGO has gotten more aggressive about retiring sets earlier, so we shall see where that goes.

Caladrius

So once a lego becomes sold out, they'll never restock?

Lego sets stay around for about 2-5 years, depending on the product. Generally the larger and more successful the set or theme, the longer the set stays around.

The set I know of that's stayed around the longest and is still on shelves is the Death Star, which has been around since 2007.

Finishing the night by building bag 1, aka the robin, from the Birds set. Man, this is really great. I am a sucker for the animal stuff, and the fact that this is striving for as close to realism as can be, it just makes it even sweeter. I especially like the instruction book beginning with information about the species you are building.

That is one thing I have loved about the Architecture and Ideas line, and it has continued into the UCS now with Slave 1: a few pages at the start dedicated to the designers and their process, as well as a history of the inspiration for the model you are about to build.

I hope LEGO continues with this, as it makes the Ideas and UCS sets feel a bit more special with that extra touch.

Lego sets stay around for about 2-5 years, depending on the product. Generally the larger and more successful the set or theme, the longer the set stays around.

The set I know of that's stayed around the longest and is still on shelves is the Death Star, which has been around since 2007.

Someday soon, the thermal exhaust port on the Best Star will be found. Someday. Until that day, it will reign as the best set still in production.

Sure, the build is rather basic overall and dated, but what it lacks in complexity and ingenuity, it more than compensates with nostalgia and character.

*still crossing my fingers for a Cloud City set to replace it someday.*

i think my Slave 1 made a stop here today but I accidentally rejected the call (apartment building buzzer goes to my cell), so I just got a note to pick it up at the post office.

Caladrius

Someday soon, the thermal exhaust port on the Best Star will be found. Someday. Until that day, it will reign as the best set still in production.

Sure, the build is rather basic overall and dated, but what it lacks in complexity and ingenuity, it more than compensates with nostalgia and character.

I actually considered getting the Death Star last year back when I splurged. But it was either that or 2 modulars and the Millennium Falcon. No prizes for guessing which won.

Only thing that really holds me back from buying it other than the price point is that it uses the old minifigure designs. I'd love to see a reprint with the new ones included.

Zerojul

This needs to happen. When was the last Cloud city set ? Like more than 10 years ago ? I think the minifigs for the old set were still yellow ones.

I'd love to see a reprint with the new ones included.
That would be great. The set could go on for quite a few more years just by doing that. Not that it's not awesome as it is now, but I see how the dated minifigs could be a definite minus for some potential buyers.

neonglow

Even though I don't own it, I actually want it to go out of print. Then I can finally start counting the days for when LEGO will release an updated set with all the new building pieces and techniques they've made since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom