• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Lego store today,they have several Birds and got in some more flower cart but no Tumbler or Slave 1. They told me they are not expecting any slave 1 next week and not sure when they will get more in. They are also out of detective agency. Really excellent businesses for them.

I asked my local LEGO store and they said demand wasn't too high for the Birds set. I was told by one of the associates the employee bird set they got for xmas is much better and read elsewhere online. I bought a bird set, but it's in my backlog now.

robochimp

I just put together Braniac Attack. Nothing too special, except that it's extremely sturdy, making it great for a kid to actually play with.

As a bonus all of the heroes have a laser vision face.

Ryuuroden

I forget but who was the person here who had the problem with their hand losing function. I was wondering if it has gotten better. Or if you got a better contraption for moving it. It was very upsetting to hear about and I think if it happened to any of us we would be distraught as well. I hate thinking about it, nightmares about sleeping on my arm the wrong way. Hope it's not wrong of me to ask.

I forget but who was the person here who had the problem with their hand losing function. I was wondering if it has gotten better. Or if you got a better contraption for moving it. It was very upsetting to hear about and I think if it happened to any of us we would be distraught as well. I hate thinking about it, nightmares about sleeping on my arm the wrong way. Hope it's not wrong of me to ask.

It was Palace Brother

ghostmind

Well, this isn't looking too good.

Sorry all, I thought my info was solid on this, but sometimes these things just don't pan out.

Regardless, we are going to have to get a reveal soon, as VIP release is just over a month away.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. Just finished building the robin from the Birds set (it was the first one I built of the three).
It is even cooler than I thought it would be. But then again, Lego sets are always so much cooler seeing them in real life rather than in pictures.
Man, I really love this set. I hope more bird sets get released eventually. Such a shame the employee Christmas set was an employee set rather than an actual set. I would buy that in a heartbeat (but not for the crazy prices they go for on Ebay).

LaNaranja

The Iron Man 3 Malibu house set is pretty neat. I really like how the kitchen looks.

2715817-legomarvelparty.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Well, this isn't looking too good.

Sorry all, I thought my info was solid on this, but sometimes these things just don't pan out.

Regardless, we are going to have to get a reveal soon, as VIP release is just over a month away.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

As Phon said, that was me. Thanks for asking! It was a ridiculous thing that happened so I'd be curious too.

I have regained 100% of both the mobility and strength in my wrist. In June of last year we took the kids to an amusement park and prior to boarding this coaster I took off the brace (I didn't want it to smash into my seat neighbor). As we got about halfway up the initial slope I realized I was holding my hand perfectly straight. The next minute was a combination of terror & elation. Over about two months I went from being able to hold it steady for 5-6 seconds to getting full control back.

As crazy as the contraption looks, it was a godsend. Try this for me:

Let every muscle from the wrist down to your fingertips go completely limp in your dominant hand. The only control you have is moving your fingers and thumb in like an arcade claw machine, and when released all your digits just move back to neutral.

Wearing this thing let me type, pick things up, use a bank machine etc. Without it I was completely at a loss.

I think I mentioned it here but the last day I wore it was at a local LEGO convention and Jamie Berard was there and asked if I had slept on my arm, causing the injury. I get out in front of a LOT of people all over the country in my job and he is the first person who ever pegged it.

An interesting side note:

I now use my left hand in ways I never had before. I regularly find myself shaving with my left hand without realizing it, and carrying/manipulating things with my non-dominant hand with ease. So something good came out of it! On the flipside....yeah, be really careful how you sleep. I slept on it a bit funny before Christmas and it was slightly numb for 10 seconds after I woke up and I freaked out.

Just finished Detective Office. I really don't know where to rank it with the other Modulars. It is just...awesome.

Is it pretty safe to say this will probably beat every set this year just because of the water barrel at the top of it? I kind of wish I had not known that was coming, because the slow build up to it with a piece here and there being added as you go on the roof, and then suddenly, BAM! The barrel is made, and it is nuts.

So many wonderful touches throughout. So much detail. It is like a weird hybrid of Pet Shop and any other Modular.

Parisian Restaurant is prettier and was more refreshing than this, but for sheer use of cool techniques, this set just set a really high bar for others to clear. The fact that the entire top floor is almost completely offset with jumper plates then coming back together made my brain hurt in the best way.

Truly awesome stuff. The rest of the year will probably lack in comparison, much like with Parisian Restaurant last year.

I think I mentioned it here but the last day I wore it was at a local LEGO convention and Jamie Berard was there and asked if I had slept on my arm, causing the injury. I get out in front of a LOT of people all over the country in my job and he is the first person who ever pegged it.

Glad things are back to normal. As if Jamie needs more kudos to raise his status. :)

WOAH HOLD ON.

I've recently started developing a thing where my arm muscles will start spasming or twitching (more twitching, really), and the only thing I could link it to was me sleeping with my arm upwards, on my side -- with my head resting more or less on my bicep under the pillow.

Should I really really really try to make sure that never happens again?

That can happen just from sleeping on your arm? Wow, I need to pay more attention.

Glad you're fully recovered!

The thing with that is... it happens subconsciously, not like you can control your position while you are sleeping :(

So really, there is nothing you can do about this to prevent it is there? If you're shit out of luck then that's that i guess...

My review of Detective's Office, reposted here for your convenience (but without the jazz soundtrack):

The tenth and latest Lego modular building has arrived, to the usual fanfare and hysteria. Already out of stock on the official site, where it’s exclusive, this will probably be a sought-after set for quite some time as they catch up with demand. Still, when it was first leaked the Detective’s Office (DO from now on) was divisive. Whereas most modulars have been fairly large, solid three-story buildings, DO was a neat downtown mix of slightly rougher houses. It doesn’t exactly fit alongside Green Grocer or Pet Shop but has an identity all of its own. Also, it can be noted that the upper roof section is pretty much on the same level as Fire Brigade’s, so it’s not exactly tiny either. Downstairs there’s a pool hall and a barber shop, and upstairs there’s a classical detective’s office packed with detail, as well as an apartment section used for illicit activities (more on that later).

Despite the smaller size, DO has a good number of pieces and like all modulars it takes several hours to build. Once again Jamie Berard returns to design a modular, and this comes with all the unexpected and impressive techniques one can expect from him. New parts like the tail off Unikitty (now in grey), a row of stacked Hero Factory hands, the CMF painter roller handle and the Mixel balljoints have been used to create discrete but impressive details, but having access to rare parts is not the most impressive quality of Jamie. No, it’s the small things. There is a sliding panel inside the pool hall, which is ridiculously simple, made from pieces I have tons of, but I could never have figured it out. And the water barrel on the roof is simply insane. I admired how Jamie created a water tower on top of Fire Brigade using two wooden tubs, but this is on a whole new level. It’s made almost entirely from pieces I had in my childhood Lego 25 years ago, but used in a whole new way. Once again the combination of Lego’s extremely clever engineering (a specific piece from 36 years ago has a use I’ve never seen in a set before) and Jamie’s creative brilliance comes together to make magic.

The finished set is colourful and playful, but not as visually striking as some other modulars. What it lacks in style it makes up for in function, though. There’s plenty of room to add figures on the sidewalk, on the balconies and the multi-leveled rooftop. If there ever was a fitting arena for Turtles or superheroes to fight it out, this is it. It also helps to break up the silhouette of the city like the Parisian Restaurant or, indeed, Market Street. As a part of a living city, it’s excellent.

pQH6j5I.jpg

Collectors probably know about all the useful pieces by now, but there’s plenty to find here. There’s a ton of the dark flesh toned textured bricks, including the new longer variety. The useful round bricks with holes in them come in black and generously most of them can be substituted for normal ones to use these new rare ones for other things. The brown baseplate is welcome, but the new light blue bricks aren’t that helpful considering there’s just a ton of 1×2 ones here. Not to mention the unique mirror part, which is simply a chromed piece of stiff cardboard held in place to create a perfect reflection unlike any of the stickers we usually get. However, most of this requires you to break DO apart or buy a spare one, and it’s much too good looking for that.

For the first time, there’s actually an explicit story behind this building. It’s the 1920′s and prohibition is in full effect, which makes candy and cookies illegal (what, you think Lego would make a story based on alcohol?). The detective Ace Brickman is investigating, but little does he know that the apartment across the hall is a kitchen for producing sweets. These are then smuggled downstairs and hidden in a space accessible both from the pool hall and the barber shop. Apparently everyone is in on it except him (and possibly the cop visiting the barber shop). It’s fun, but the mechanisms to traffic barrels of candy take up valuable space and parts, which could have been used elsewhere.

I’d also like to comment on Flower Cart (40140) which is nominally a free bonus gift given to early buyers on the official shop, but in practice a part of the DO. It may look like a harmless portable stall, but hidden under the cart is another candy barrel. As I said, everyone is in on it. This is a neat touch, but since it’s already hard to get it smells a little of the preorder/retailer exclusive DLC stuff which plagues gaming nowadays, and it could have been included in the set like the cars in Fire Brigade or Palace Cinema. However, it can easily be recreated by common parts so it’s not too bad.

eeKxGjD.jpg

The tenth modular is one of the best, which is no small feat considering the quality of the line. It’s not the very best (Green Grocer and Parisian Restaurant sit pretty safely on that position), but it’s a great build packed with inspiring ideas and ridiculous attention to detail. In a build where the detective’s desk, the pool table, the barber chair and the crazy way most of the apartment is offset half a stud pales in comparison to other details, you know you’re in for a good time. Even the POOL sign, which is mirrored on both sides and put together with a stud reversal, is just the frosting on top of a delicious build. Every Lego fan needs this.

So are these rubber tires on the Tumbler. Are they gonna stain my bookshelf? Will they crack? Anything I need to be aware of? Never had a LEGO set with massive amounts of rubber before. Most before were the rubber bands on the Bohrok c

Ryuuroden

As Phon said, that was me. Thanks for asking! It was a ridiculous thing that happened so I'd be curious too.

I have regained 100% of both the mobility and strength in my wrist. In June of last year we took the kids to an amusement park and prior to boarding this coaster I took off the brace (I didn't want it to smash into my seat neighbor). As we got about halfway up the initial slope I realized I was holding my hand perfectly straight. The next minute was a combination of terror & elation. Over about two months I went from being able to hold it steady for 5-6 seconds to getting full control back.

Let every muscle from the wrist down to your fingertips go completely limp in your dominant hand. The only control you have is moving your fingers and thumb in like an arcade claw machine, and when released all your digits just move back to neutral.

Wearing this thing let me type, pick things up, use a bank machine etc. Without it I was completely at a loss.

I now use my left hand in ways I never had before. I regularly find myself shaving with my left hand without realizing it, and carrying/manipulating things with my non-dominant hand with ease. So something good came out of it! On the flipside....yeah, be really careful how you sleep. I slept on it a bit funny before Christmas and it was slightly numb for 10 seconds after I woke up and I freaked out.

Wow, great to hear!!

ghostmind

All I do now is refresh and refresh and hope the Scooby-Doo stuff leaks. That's become my existence.

The first we will probably see of the Scooby-Doo sets will be at Toy Fair.

The London show is January 20th to 22nd, but traditionally has had a "no photography" rule (though sometimes things do leak out).

The Nuremberg show is January 28th to February 2nd. We see a lot more there, but not everything.

The New York show is February 14th to 17th. This will get extensive coverage, with tons of photos and video of upcoming sets.

Cade

The first we will probably see of the Scooby-Doo sets will be at Toy Fair.

The London show is January 20th to 22nd, but traditionally has had a "no photography" rule (though sometimes things do leak out).

The Nuremberg show is January 28th to February 2nd. We see a lot more there, but not everything.

The New York show is February 14th to 17th. This will get extensive coverage, with tons of photos and video of upcoming sets.

That's pretty soon. Thanks for the info, but it won't save my F5 key I fear.

Ryuuroden

Man, designing furniture for Orthanc is like hard lol. I am up to the bedrooms now. I made a pretty awesome dinning and kitchens area. Sarumans study and storage rooms should be easy enough. I made a pretty awesome canopy bed and figured out the candle stands. It is just the stuff like the Wardrobe that is killing me right now. I can make some other types of furniture pretty easy, but I am trying to do some more interesting stuff.

I think the biggest pain is that I get a piece done but it doesn't feel like a ton of progress and so on because its just little bits of furniture and so on.

Ravek

Banned
Man, designing furniture for Orthanc is like hard lol. I am up to the bedrooms now. I made a pretty awesome dinning and kitchens area. Sarumans study and storage rooms should be easy enough. I made a pretty awesome canopy bed and figured out the candle stands. It is just the stuff like the Wardrobe that is killing me right now. I can make some other types of furniture pretty easy, but I am trying to do some more interesting stuff.

I think the biggest pain is that I get a piece done but it doesn't feel like a ton of progress and so on because its just little bits of furniture and so on.

Maybe take a break from furniture and or the Orthanc? Build some sci fi or whatever, you'll come back to the Orthanc refreshed.

Just a suggestion.

Ponn

Banned

Wardrobe should be easy, he only wears white.

I got my two series 13 figs from Lego today. They were the Paleo scientist and Space Marine. No Hot Dog Guy, Goblin, Ming or Unicorn :( I will probably try one more batch before I resort to Amazon and Bricklink.

Great review, thanks! I am definitely getting it.

Couple of questions.. What is that building in between the Detective's Office and The Fire Brigrade? Also, what do you think of the Pet Shop compared to the Parisian Restaurant? I'm planning to grab one of them (and mabybe both eventually).

Ryuuroden

Couple of questions.. What is that building in between the Detective's Office and The Fire Brigrade? Also, what do you think of the Pet Shop compared to the Parisian Restaurant? I'm planning to grab one of them (and mabybe both eventually).

Grab all 3 starting with Pet Shop since it will not be around much longer. In my opinion, best modulars go Parisian Restaurant >= Detective Office > Pet Shop. However, all 3 are must buys for anyone who enjoys modular's so if your just getting started and you know if you buy one you will have to wait a bit to get money for the rest, you will not want to regret missing out on the Pet Shop. The only modular that is also still available that you can do without if you really don't have the money to get it in time is Palace Cinema. Parisian Restaurant is the standard all others are judged on now. Parisian Restaurant is like a very addictive drug that will make you need all modulars.

Target is gutting their old Ninjago and Chima inventory. I am not a fan of either series but the prices are amazing. $26 for the Ninjago one and $15 for the Chima.

Edit-they are also discounting wave 1 movie sets but not as steeply. Make sure to actually scan them as the temples were still stickered at $63.

Seeing this made me think of your situation.

Suit UP - ARM by Milan Sekiz, on Flickr

Suit UP - A.R.M. by Milan Sekiz, on Flickr

Ravek

Banned
Target is gutting their old Ninjago and Chima inventory. I am not a fan of either series but the prices are amazing. $26 for the Ninjago one and $15 for the Chima.

Edit-they are also discounting wave 1 movie sets but not as steeply. Make sure to actually scan them as the temples were still stickered at $63.

That Chima scorpion set...probably one of the least fun builds Ive had on a while. But the final product is sooo good.

Market Street is split up on both sides of DO. It actually works out in a funny way. I had my bakery MOC there, which is tan and dark blue, and since the Market Street apparently has a bakery, they kind of match up. The lower part of Market Street also matched up as a bridge between the terrace of Parisian Restaurant and the terrace of my MOC. Now it also works as a stepping stone to the office part of DO, not to mention that the tan of MS flows into DO, which then has dark blue and medium blue that flows into the MS building.

Also, in a wider sense, Market Street and Fire Brigade are the only buildings that really fit with DO thematically. Or maybe you could put it at one end of the street and have it transition into Pet Shop. But it looks really out of place next to Green Grocer, Café Corner or Grand Emporium, or my MOC luxury apartment.

As for your second question, as people have said: get Pet Shop now! It might survive the year but not for long after that. There's not really a market for four of these huge buildings at once. If Town Hall hadn't recently been discontinued, I would expect PS to go at any moment but it got a little breathing space now. I would probably place it in fifth place now, but the others are either a lost cause already (GG and CC) or still safely available (PR, DO).

While I'm comparing modulars, let me reiterate that Green Grocer is bloody amazing. It combines the regal size of Town Hall or Fire Brigade with the detail and cozyness of the upper floors of PR and PS. And it's not THAT hard to piece together. There are plenty of sand green parts around because of Erebor, and there aren't many crazily expensive, unique parts like on CC or MS. Here, let me paste from my review of it:

* Blue arched brick (6005) for the awning is about 1€ per piece but you only need 4. I got used ones for a lower price and to avoid making a separate order from the few sellers who had more.
* Dark gray door frames (30179) are very rare and you need 5, but the other version (60596) is functionally the same for a tenth of the cost. You also need one black and two white, and the latter can be found in Seaside House along with plenty of other window pieces you’ll need.
* There are plenty of dark green basic bricks which can be tricky to find but not extremely expensive. Note: Lego S@H has them listed as "earth green" in the PAB inventory and most can be found there for rather cheap.
* The decorations around the shop door (2431pb043) are from old Viking sets and most sellers only have a few. The prices range wildly, so plan your purchases well.
* The sand green bricks are a killer, since you need tons of them. You need 41 1×4:s and 50 1×8:s, which make up the bulk of the walls. You can either replace these with another colour (which sort of takes away from the ”Green” Grocer) or you can bite the bullet. Since the 1×8:s cost more than 10 times as much, I went with 141 of the 1×4:s instead. There are slight problems with this: the 1×8:s normally overlap by four studs which makes a solid wall, but if you use 1×4:s they sometimes just stack on top of one another. This can be fixed by shifting some pieces around, but it ultimately looks pretty good anyway. Either way, finding sellers with these quantities isn’t easy and now that the big sources of this part like Haunted House is out of production, it will probably get more expensive until they make it again. Incidentally, the Haunted House WILL cover most of your sand green needs if you use 1×2:s and 1×6:s to substitute for the 1×8:s, although that too is getting expensive. Note: Lonely Mountain has since added another source of 1x1, 1x2 and 1x4s to the market.
* The sand green brick with a groove (4216) is kind of rare but not too expensive, and available from several European sellers.
* The white 2×2 panel (4864b) is rare but you only need two. To not have to make a special order, there are several variations that are functionally the same.
* The white 2×3 train window is very rare and those who have a few of these know how to charge for them. I went with light gray ones for now, although I might replace them down the line. Paying 2€ per piece just stings, but they are rather prominent on the front of the building. Note: the standard white 2x3 window works just fine, I've noticed.
* The minifigs are wildly overpriced as sets since they mostly consist of standard pieces. If you break them down, you probably have most pieces already. I skipped them entirely.
* You want to get the kitten (6251px1), even though it’s a little expensive.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished building the Bluejay from the Birds set! It's bigger than I expected it to be and looks fantastic.

Just a couple thoughts though:
1. All of the 1x1 pieces on these birds are stressing me out. I have to make sure each one is perfectly placed and not rotated slightly.
2. The light blue bricks on the Bluejay are two very slightly different colors... Is this a quality control issue, or did Lego make bricks in two different but extremely similar blue colors and only some of the bricks came in one of the colors and some of the bricks came in the other and they didn't want to increase the variety of bricks by making some in a new color for this set? You can't tell unless you look very closely and it doesn't really bother me at all, but it's just a little curious.

Ponn

Banned
Just finished building the Bluejay from the Birds set! It's bigger than I expected it to be and looks fantastic.

Just a couple thoughts though:
1. All of the 1x1 pieces on these birds are stressing me out. I have to make sure each one is perfectly placed and not rotated slightly.
2. The light blue bricks on the Bluejay are two very slightly different colors... Is this a quality control issue, or did Lego make bricks in two different but extremely similar blue colors and only some of the bricks came in one of the colors and some of the bricks came in the other and they didn't want to increase the variety of bricks by making some in a new color for this set? You can't tell unless you look very closely and it doesn't really bother me at all, but it's just a little curious.

Oh man I can't wait for my Birds set. Supposed to be here tuesday. I need to get some new shelves but I cleared off one shelf just to make room right now for the birds set for display. Wondering if the Rainforest bird would fit in or look to out of place.

Also everytime someone posts their modular towns gets me jonesing again. Not enough money for everything. I feel I might want a modular street for the wrong reason, just to display my superhero figs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom