• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I've been getting in a big mood for lego star wars ships lately. They all have such unique and cool designs. Its gonna be hard for me to pass up on some of these sets.

Problem is I still need to get some of the modulars. And I really want the VW camper before it goes OOP. Maybe I should get that first just in case?

ghostmind

Ugh I've been getting in a big mood for lego star wars ships lately. They all have such unique and cool designs. Its gonna be hard for me to pass up on some of these sets.

Problem is I still need to get some of the modulars. And I really want the VW camper before it goes OOP. Maybe I should get that first just in case?

OHoXpFc.gif

willp2003

Loving the Caterham, even if it does look a little bit chunkier than it should. That's quite a lot of printed pieces if they stick to not having stickers on ideas sets.

Osahi

Not really feeling the Caterham to be honest, as the Ideas model was way more slick and beautiful. Guess it has to do with sticking to legal techniques and available parts...

Might change my mind when I see it though, or when reviews hit. Any news on a release date and price?

Well I played the game of AliExpress knock offs and lost!

But we do now have a 'mr gold' with two right arms

Lol. That's even more rare!

Contact the seller. They bend over backwards to fix mistakes. I once ordered a large set that was missing a bag and the seller sent me 2 complete sets as compensation. Of course it took 3 weeks to get here, but I was pretty damn surprised and happy when I opened the mail that day!

Boogiepop

B&N clearance actually had a moderate number of sets, huh. Ended up picking up a Lego City Mobile Police Unit truck thing, Ninjago Master Wu's Dragon, and a little Chima bat thing. All of which I probably didn't need, but at the price I said screw it. They also had the Lego City police station, a ton of Ninjago stuff (including one bigger set and another variety of dragon), a Lego Movie bad cop chase set thing, a few Chima things (including one big set), and a creator 3-in-1 that didn't have a price tag so I didn't jump on it. But yeah, I don't know, I guess we'll see how I feel about these various things. At the very least, they weren't especially expensive, so that's good.

Apparently Lego Store has the Doctor Strange set exclusively in Sweden, and it is below the free shipping limit so I hadn't bothered ordering it before. But I stopped by today to grab it, and a Lego ruler, and a large cup. Looks really cool - rather than just take it apart I think I'll build it into my latest modular.

Sparse

This thread's hazardous to my wallet.

I've only ever picked up small sets here and there, but I'd been eyeing the Detective's Office for a long time. Now that, Wall-E and a few smaller sets are on the way.

Thanks, everyone...!

B&N clearance actually had a moderate number of sets, huh. Ended up picking up a Lego City Mobile Police Unit truck thing, Ninjago Master Wu's Dragon, and a little Chima bat thing. All of which I probably didn't need, but at the price I said screw it. They also had the Lego City police station, a ton of Ninjago stuff (including one bigger set and another variety of dragon), a Lego Movie bad cop chase set thing, a few Chima things (including one big set), and a creator 3-in-1 that didn't have a price tag so I didn't jump on it. But yeah, I don't know, I guess we'll see how I feel about these various things. At the very least, they weren't especially expensive, so that's good.
Man. Wish my store had Master Wu. If they have another could you snag it? Can do Trade for it if you wanted.

Boogiepop

Man. Wish my store had Master Wu. If they have another could you snag it? Can do Trade for it if you wanted.

I'm not sure I'd be able to reasonably make a trip back out there in time to get another before they're gone (they did have more than one), but it's on Amazon for like $30, which doesn't seem that different then B&N's discount price+tax+shipping.

Edit: The one I passed on that there was only one of was the Titanium Dragon. But there was only one, so that's almost certainly gone already. (How bad of a choice did I make on not picking that up? I only grabbed the Master Wu one because I never tried one of these before, and it looked like the better one to me)

iosefe

Edit: The one I passed on that there was only one of was the Titanium Dragon. But there was only one, so that's almost certainly gone already. (How bad of a choice did I make on not picking that up? I only grabbed the Master Wu one because I never tried one of these before, and it looked like the better one to me)

it is currently Sold out on S@H

make of that what you will

I may have a problem. I've only ever had 4 sets of legos and a giant tub of Tyco blocks as a kid. Then I bought the Hulkbuster and Xmen vs Sentinel sets last month.

Set 79111 Constitution Train arrived on Monday. Set 60052 Cargo Train arrived today in the mail and i'm supposed to order the Winter Holiday Train set tomorrow. Only had an hour of free time yesterday and finished the bottom of the train engine ... maybe i should save the winter train for my kid,... who wont be 3 til next christmas.... hrm....

SdWzSLZl.jpg

Taisaijin

I realize they redact names typically until the official reveals, but did I miss the Creator Expert set number leaks? Paging Ghostmind..

R-User!

This thread's hazardous to my wallet.

I've only ever picked up small sets here and there, but I'd been eyeing the Detective's Office for a long time. Now that, Wall-E and a few smaller sets are on the way.

Thanks, everyone...!

You're QUITE welcome Sparse! :)

Ponn

Banned
I think you are better of using system building as a base. While some have successfully blended constraction and system, I think it would be easier to stick with the system ball joins that the dragons and mechs usually use.

Don't forget to include Cthulu jr.

latest

I was trying to build Cthulhu, I had the 6086 octopus as the head and system ball joints for the arms & legs. He ended up looking too mech-like though.

Baby Cthullu is great. Yea I decided to work with the Green NRG Dragon as a base for my Cthullu attempt. I don't want a mech look and I like how the Green Dragon is "bottom heavy".

I'm not sure I'd be able to reasonably make a trip back out there in time to get another before they're gone (they did have more than one), but it's on Amazon for like $30, which doesn't seem that different then B&N's discount price+tax+shipping.

Titanium Dragon is from like 2 seasons ago so yea thats a retired product. Its still not too expensive if you really want it though. It's only a big deal if you are going after all the Ninjago Dragons. If not Wu's dragon is the better set of the two so you're choice is fine in that regards. Now go get that Morro Dragon!

I may have a problem. I've only ever had 4 sets of legos and a giant tub of Tyco blocks as a kid. Then I bought the Hulkbuster and Xmen vs Sentinel sets last month.

Set 79111 Constitution Train arrived on Monday. Set 60052 Cargo Train arrived today in the mail and i'm supposed to order the Winter Holiday Train set tomorrow. Only had an hour of free time yesterday and finished the bottom of the train engine ... maybe i should save the winter train for my kid,... who wont be 3 til next christmas.... hrm....

SdWzSLZl.jpg

We all understand your problem. You don't have enough sets. Don't worry, after a year or two, your itch will be slightly scratched after dozens of new sets.

Based on how much you enjoy posing Hulk Buster armor, you should buy some of the brick built dragons. :)
I also highly recommend this set for mechs.
http://brickset.com/sets/70737-1/Titan-Mech-Battle

Did a quick check on Constitution Train and I'm shocked the aftermarket price is basically MSRP still. It's a nice looking train set. You have chosen wisely. I don't know how the build is cuz it's in my backlog.

Boogiepop

it is currently Sold out on S@H

make of that what you will

Titanium Dragon is from like 2 seasons ago so yea thats a retired product. Its still not too expensive if you really want it though. It's only a big deal if you are going after all the Ninjago Dragons. If not Wu's dragon is the better set of the two so you're choice is fine in that regards. Now go get that Morro Dragon!

To follow up on these, I've decided that in retrospect I'm glad I passed on the Titanium Dragon, now that I've built Wu's. It's a nice set, and I do like it, but having built it, I feel further that I think from now on I'll just stick to my plan of modulars, the occasional Star Wars, and only anything else if it really, really catches my fancy. Like I said, I do like the thing, but it's also a decent size and doesn't fit in with my other stuff. But yeah, especially for the price, I'm satisfied and glad I gave it a shot, and it can stick around as a weird/cool dragon hanging out with my other stuff. Just don't think I'll invest any more heavily in the Ninjago line, even if it's great to see a line that is pretty much all the things my younger self would've ever wanted.

We all understand your problem. You don't have enough sets. Don't worry, after a year or two, your itch will be slightly scratched after dozens of new sets.

Based on how much you enjoy posing Hulk Buster armor, you should buy some of the brick built dragons. :)
I also highly recommend this set for mechs.
http://brickset.com/sets/70737-1/Titan-Mech-Battle

Did a quick check on Constitution Train and I'm shocked the aftermarket price is basically MSRP still. It's a nice looking train set. You have chosen wisely. I don't know how the build is cuz it's in my backlog.

actually, before i got the train itch, i was pretttty set on getting master wu's dragon, and that dual titan mech set! They're both on sale at amazon still. i think.

The top half of the constitution train was looking great tonight - until i saw the smoke stack.... it was kinda disappointing to be honest. will update you on how the rest goes. it's a slow process though, as i barely have one hour a night to work on this thing.

Here's some shots. Various ninjas, knights, renegades and folk working on the train.
DebQl4ql.jpg

Ayst86wl.jpg

PiuAzJsl.jpg

actually, before i got the train itch, i was pretttty set on getting master wu's dragon, and that dual titan mech set! They're both on sale at amazon still. i think.

The top half of the constitution train was looking great tonight - until i saw the smoke stack.... it was kinda disappointing to be honest. will update you on how the rest goes. it's a slow process though, as i barely have one hour a night to work on this thing.

Here's some shots. Various ninjas, knights, renegades and folk working on the train.
DebQl4ql.jpg

Ayst86wl.jpg

PiuAzJsl.jpg
Constitution Train was great, but Silver Mine is the GOAT of that theme.

The silver mine set does look pretty awesome. But i think maybe next year, i'll build a lego RC car for the little one (and myself). I just got him a toddler rc car and it took about a week for him to warm up to it.
Looks ain't where Silver Mine has it. It is in the build and play features. So damn good.

And I look forward to seeing the RC car.

LEGO John Lennon???

ctBhnZF.jpg

Hmmm. Looks a bit knock-offish. I think it's the mouth. But Yellow Submarine would come with figures like this, so it might be the real thing. Either way, it's highly anticipated, and I hope they throw in a few of those weird creatures. I remember drawing pictures of flying rocket hands.

mclem

U.K. People can get £10 off a £40 spend using GB10 as a discount code. Expires on the 19th.

Right, now time to figure out where the sweet spot of spending lies in which that is worth more than holding out until double-VIP!

Edit: Would I be right in saying that it's not worth it for anything over £200, worth it for anything below that?

Edit2: And it's best for something above - but as close as possible to - £50 to get free shipping, too. Which I think means I'm buying the Winter Toy Shop or the Maze.

willp2003

Right, now time to figure out where the sweet spot of spending lies in which that is worth more than holding out until double-VIP!

I'd save anything over £100 for double VIP personally. Best thing is spend 60, use the 10 code and still get free delivery.
October will also have the London bus promo though.
I'm holding out for that and double VIP.

mclem

I'd save anything over £100 for double VIP personally. Best thing is spend 60, use the 10 code and still get free delivery.
October will also have the London bus promo though.
I'm holding out for that and double VIP.

I was always planning to make an order in October anyway, but I can bring an item forward this way.

Osahi

The wait is over! We've been polishing this yellow and black beauty all night so that we could finally present to you the first official images and details of the LEGO Ideas 21307 Caterham Seven 620R! Measuring in at 771 bricks distributed across 3” (10cm) in height, 11” (28cm) in length and 5” (14cm) in width, this Caterham contains stunning details to reproduce that awe inspiring Caterham look.

This LEGO Caterham is racing to a store near you with availability from the 1st of October, 2016 for a recommended retail price of USD 79.99 / EUR 79,99.

Here is the official product description:

Create a LEGO® version of the Caterham Seven 620R, a custom-built sports car with an unashamed old-school vibe. Power steering? No chance. Electric windows? Forget it. The Caterham Seven is definitely not for the faint-hearted—luxury is for wimps! Remove the nose cone, engine cover or engine to take a closer look at the authentic details of a LEGO model that’s for true car connoisseurs only.

Carl Greatrix, fan designer, and Henrik Andersen, LEGO Designer, share their insights:

"One of the most exhilarating drives I’ve ever had was out on the track in a Caterham Seven. It is brutally fast due to its light weight and tremendous fun to be in. It really struck a chord in my heart that I never forgot", Carl Greatrix a.k.a. bricktrix_Carl explains as he talks about his love for Caterham cars.

This love turned to inspiration for his future LEGO Caterham model, Carl explains "When I got back into building LEGO car models I thought the shape of the vehicle would lend itself to being modelled well in LEGO bricks as it is very angular and if I could find a suitable scale then I would be able to get all the details into it that I would love to see".

Henrik Andersen, LEGO designer, shared his enthusiasm for Carl's work “Carl really did a great job of converting the real car’s shape into a LEGO version as both the sloping front and the hood are really complex”.

Caterham has been officialy announced. 80 Euro is higher then I thought it would be, but with 771 pieces it's pretty okay. I'll await reviews, as I have mixed feelings about this set. October is Rogue One buying spree anyway, so it will be a purchase later on anyway if I would decide to get it

iosefe

For the Winter Train's release, LEGO sent a batch of the power functions, the battery box and motor wheels, to each store, so if you drop by one, no need to order them online.

mclem

And on a similar note, on the new Shop@Home, where's the page that details the free kit for spending £x gone? Or is there not one currently up in the UK?

That Caterham looks quite dull, I think. Probably amazing if you have some emotional attachment to the car but I'll be surprised if this sells well to the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom