• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I4vFxk8.jpg

Rogue One sets also available on the 30th.
Oh yeah Revan

<snip>Revan</snip>

Wow. I'm stunned that they're running another Revan promo. TLG must be sitting on some serious backlog of the promo figs. Several months ago I bought a set with my kids and one of the clerks did a little sideways check to make sure nobody saw and gave me an extra figure. It wasn't the advertised promo though - it was TC-14. How the hell are they still sitting on those?

Rootbeer

Banned
Remember the original Revan promo they went through their stock ahead of schedule. This must be a new run of the figures.

I was already getting some Rogue One sets on that day, so this fig is all but a bonus for me. A great one, though.

Grabbed a Wu set for you today. And holy crap at the collectibles and figures marked half off. Spent way too much.
Awesome! Thank you. Now what are you wanting in return? Just pm me.

Also, I got those two IKEA bookcases from my coworker today.

I am sad that the shelves are about half an inch shy of being able to fit 3 modulars. It is freaky how perfect the depth is though. Absolutely perfect for a baseplate.
And I am paranoid since one of these leans forward and tips if the doors are open. Seems fine since anchoring it with Ghostbusters at the bottom.

There has to be a catch &#129300; Or spending minimum
I'm just going to buy a $10 mini snow speeder set and get mah Raven

If I were to buy the Death Star on that day can I get all the Ravens &#128520;

I am sad that the shelves are about half an inch shy of being able to fit 3 modulars. It is freaky how perfect the depth is though. Absolutely perfect for a baseplate.
And I am paranoid since one of these leans forward and tips if the doors are open. Seems fine since anchoring it with Ghostbusters at the bottom.

Sea Cow fits in there? I haven't built mine yet but... i just always assumed it was too massive to fit anywhere.

Done with the Constitution and the first Cargo Engine thingy. Just tested and it runs fine. time for sleep, otherwise i'd finish the rest of the cargo train... ugh. Wont look right having two engines. Or a tender behind the diesel engine .... lol.

WvtgK2Bl.jpg

ninge

Awesome!

Secure that shit to the wall man STAT. They are not stable as free standing units! IKEA sell little L shaped brackets (they should have come with the units originally too!) one screw into the top of the unit and one into the wall. Quick simple and you can't even see them when fitted (unless you are freakishly tall!). Do it.

Yes, the doors make them front heavy and they will tip over unless something heavy is in it, or indeed if you anchor them to the walls. Mine is packed with books on the lower shelf so it's not going anywhere.

Also note that you can get spare shelves easily. I'm not sure if they still sell shelves in that colour, but there are also glass variants.

Being just a bit too narrow also is a perfect opportunity to build tons of 16x32 MOCs :D

Oh, and I looked at the Death Star review. Fuck. I want it now.

Secure that shit to the wall man STAT. They are not stable as free standing units! IKEA sell little L shaped brackets (they should have come with the units originally too!) one screw into the top of the unit and one into the wall. Quick simple and you can't even see them when fitted (unless you are freakishly tall!). Do it.

Yes, the doors make them front heavy and they will tip over unless something heavy is in it, or indeed if you anchor them to the walls. Mine is packed with books on the lower shelf so it's not going anywhere.

Also note that you can get spare shelves easily. I'm not sure if they still sell shelves in that colour, but there are also glass variants.

Being just a bit too narrow also is a perfect opportunity to build tons of 16x32 MOCs :D

Oh, and I looked at the Death Star review. Fuck. I want it now.
What kind of stupid ass design is it that doesn't allow freestanding? Ugh.
I made sure to put more shelves and more sets towards the bottom so it stayed upright. It seems to be fine. Ghostbusters is heavy enough for the job on one of them it seems. I still have more shelves to put in if I wanted to.
I will probably go get an L bracket at Lowe's or something just because I am paranoid. Just attach it to the top. I know many things like this come with wall anchors, but it leaning over just by opening the doors is some dumb ass design.

Now to watch the JANG review of Best Star 2.1

Osahi

I have never attached a Ikea case to the wall, and had never one tumble nor even give the impression it would. They are able to stand on their own, and the extra wall atachment is more of a safety measure. I only atteched a case to the wall in my holiday appartment in Portugal, as we have many families with kids renting it and I don't want a kid getting crushed after trying to climb the closet. But I don't have any with those heavy doors, so maybe it is a real issue with these... (Would still think it is strange, as European products are so regulated, I can't see anything that would topple over after just opening would get a pass)

Just watched Jangs review of Death Star btw. I want it, but I can't justify giving 500 Euro on a set. (Disney Castle was allready way over what I would normally spend on a single box of Lego)

Just finished JANG's Best Star review. As tempting as the new figures are, I am skipping it. I am glad that the set is still around, but it is not significant enough of a change for me to get it.

Having said that, if you haven't gotten it yet, I cannot recommend it enough. There are better builds and better display pieces, but if you are a Star Wars fan, the entire build is just one giant nostalgia trip. There is a reason that set has survived for so long.

Koren

Having said that, if you haven't gotten it yet, I cannot recommend it enough. There are better builds and better display pieces, but if you are a Star Wars fan, the entire build is just one giant nostalgia trip. There is a reason that set has survived for so long.
No doubt, but I still don't like it, because the scale don't make any sense.

Granted, I'm probably not a normal fan of Star Wars, I love the former EU, but I'm not that fond of the movies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Billy? Get a couple of anchors you can mount into the wall to secure the top from tipping. Also as an option, consider the morlinden glass doors for better visibility - e.g. http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=133922903

I might go with glass shelves eventually but the doors are a good start

I have only watched a portion of Jang's new Death Star review when my eyes caught a glimpse of another one of his Youtube links, namely his Deep Sea Exploration display which i had never seen before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnqLjgV3vfc

It looks great to me, granted it's just stuff thrown together for the most part but his lighting especially gives it that underwater feel!

Also: Just got my Series 16 complete, and kinda bananas for that Banana suit guy!!! Bananas everywhere :)

SxiQF0O.jpg

OshG5TI.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
Regarding the Revan promo on Sept 30th

Just wanted to point out, S@H has free shipping on all orders starting 9/12 and lasting through 9/30. So you should be able to get free shipping on your Rogue One set orders

In addition, the promo says you get a free Revan with any Star Wars purchase.

Combined, this could be very easy to abuse and Revan could go faster than the usual promos, especially since it's only designed to last one day.

Make sure your S@H account is all setup and current, and create a wish list of all the sets you want (Rogue One sets are already there for you to Wishlist)

As usual, we can expect all the new stuff to go live around 9PM Pacific Time (US) on Sept 29th... though this can always vary some.

Preparation is key!

Thanks for the tips!

I'm a huge KOTOR fan so I'd love to get a Revan minifig. I missed out on buying that Old Republic tie fighter set a while back and I still regret it (still thinking about paying the premium for it out of production) so I don't want to miss this one.

Just wanted to point out, S@H has free shipping on all orders starting 9/12 and lasting through 9/30. So you should be able to get free shipping on your Rogue One set orders

In addition, the promo says you get a free Revan with any Star Wars purchase.

Combined, this could be very easy to abuse and Revan could go faster than the usual promos, especially since it's only designed to last one day.

Make sure your S@H account is all setup and current, and create a wish list of all the sets you want (Rogue One sets are already there for you to Wishlist)

As usual, we can expect all the new stuff to go live around 9PM Pacific Time (US) on Sept 29th... though this can always vary some.

Preparation is key!

I have no idea if this will apply in Europe as well... but would it be stupid to grab a Death Star already just for that figure... that I don't really want?

Ponn

Banned
I have no idea if this will apply in Europe as well... but would it be stupid to grab a Death Star already just for that figure... that I don't really want?

Well look at it this way, better than getting a Death Star you don't want for a free fig. As long as you want the Death Star it doesn't really matter when you get it, the last one never went on sale right?

Happy Batman Day everyone!

Well look at it this way, better than getting a Death Star you don't want for a free fig. As long as you want the Death Star it doesn't really matter when you get it, the last one never went on sale right?

Happy Batman Day everyone!

I remember seeing it at local shops and they sometimes have 25% off or get three, pay for two sales. But somehow I doubt they'll bring this in even if it's not exclusive. I see Ghostbusters HQs and Opera Houses gathering dust. One store even set up a "Lego for adults" shelf with the big sets right near the entrance in a desparate "make dad interested in Lego" attempt.

Around here there aren't that many AFOLs (and those two I know are unemployed), and those sets are AFOL bait.

Then again that's how I managed to get Sea Cow for half off. But I don't think the store wants to warm their shelves for years and then give me stuff.

Osahi

I4vFxk8.jpg

Do we know if this is worldwide or not? Not especially interested in the figure, as I never played Kotor (it is a cool fig though), but in the 2x Vip. I want to order the U-wing and the AT-ST.

Offcourse, the day after it's double VIP anyway, but you never know if some sets move quick.

3N16MA

Banned
Seems like there are very few restrictions on that Revan figure. Maybe buy a Star Wars keychain and get the figure since the free shipping promo would still be running.

How has it been working lately, as far as when promos become available on the US site? Is it when it becomes 9/30 in EST? Or is it just whenever the site starts working after shitting itself?

Ponn

Banned
I know there isn't too much talk here about them but anyone that is interested in the Architecture line Amazon has all of them with a deep discount. Looks like 24 to 28% off.

Prep started on the boys little minifigure wall

Ordered some 32 x 32 plates and had a look through 1 of 3 Lego cubes and found 30 odd minifigure base plates and tested the spacing out.

Not sure how best to attach to the wall but we'll get there

Koren

Sand green made it to the PAB wall!
I hope we'll get it too here (although I'd like to see 1x4 or 1x6, I'll probably be disappointed).

I want to try my new optimization for the cups, too ^_^ (although I checked, and there's not that a great difference between perfect filling and random filling, I'm mostly doing it to avoid too much scratches on the bricks)

I know there isn't too much talk here about them but anyone that is interested in the Architecture line Amazon has all of them with a deep discount. Looks like 24 to 28% off.
Each time someone post such a news without the region, I expect to be disappointed, and I'm right :/

I am hoping for 1x4 or higher stuff in sand green at PAB. Got tons of 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates last month. Wanting larger pieces to hit.

Still amazed they had snot for so long. Totally loaded for that now.

Koren

I am hoping for 1x4 or higher stuff in sand green at PAB. Got tons of 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates last month. Wanting larger pieces to hit.
I've yet to see sand green here :/

In fact, I think I've yet to see 1x2 plates, too.

Still amazed they had snot for so long.
The wall refresh is so slow that a lot of stuff stay there for years. I would visit them more if the turnover was quicker. The fact that the easiest shop I can visit (Paris center) has a pityful wall doesn't help...

Ponn

Banned
Each time someone post such a news without the region, I expect to be disappointed, and I'm right :/

I'm sorry, that always slips my mind. And Lego-GAF is usually the most country diverse too so I should know better.

I'm eyeing that new Capitol Building set but I might settle for that NY skyline one. I thought that might look neat sitting behind the Spidey Bridge set.

Koren

I'm sorry, that always slips my mind. And Lego-GAF is usually the most country diverse too so I should know better.
Just to be clear, I had absolutely no problem with your post. In your case, I even knew which region you were talking about, in fact. My reply may sound harsh, when I reread it, it wasn't my intent, I'm sorry.

It's just that... Amazon, Toys'r Us, Lego itself... USA and UK seems to get most of those discounts and offers. I keep checking, just in case, just to confirm it's full price here.

Each time I read about buying sets discounts, I feel like I don't live on the same planet. I could probably buy everything direct, I barely see sets under MSRP ever. T_T

(well, currently, apparently, Lego offers a 10€ discount for orders over 40€ with the code FR10 in France and BE10 in Belgium at least, that's something... but in the meantime, Amazon UK is doing 15-20% off many technic sets ;) )

Doesn't LEGOgaf have a European bias?
Even if that's the case, I have the feeling there's really different situations among the european countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom