• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense, do you need the IR part or can you just get the battery pack and flick it on to watch it go?
You can just watch it go, but at full speed. The IR sensor and remote let you control speed.
Also, if you get the rechargeable pack, you need the plug. And the rechargeable pack is a lot lighter than the regular pack.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
You can just watch it go, but at full speed. The IR sensor and remote let you control speed.
Also, if you get the rechargeable pack, you need the plug. And the rechargeable pack is a lot lighter than the regular pack.

Cool, thanks for the info!

i'm hoping that winter holiday train doesnt sell out on thursday. I cant get to the store til noon. i suppose i can order online and just wait for it to ship. i just started collecting lego trains and i'm supposed to receive the Constitution and Cargo trains this week. too bad one motor most likely wont be able to pull all three trains.

Ponn

Banned
So I really need to find something to distract myself with and i'm going to attempt another Halloween display. I don't want to tip my complete hand but I need some advice on a base set or couple cheap sets with enough components to make a cool looking Cthullu. I have the Gateway to the Squid set and I ordered a bunch of different tentacle type pieces but i'm looking for a base body. I was thinking a bionicle type set would probably be best, any suggestions?

So I really need to find something to distract myself with and i'm going to attempt another Halloween display. I don't want to tip my complete hand but I need some advice on a base set or couple cheap sets with enough components to make a cool looking Cthullu. I have the Gateway to the Squid set and I ordered a bunch of different tentacle type pieces but i'm looking for a base body. I was thinking a bionicle type set would probably be best, any suggestions?

Curious as well. I have had thoughts of a Cthulhu monster for a long time, but just don't have the pieces to do the tentacles, even in other colors.

I did debate about making a smaller scale one and using the hanging vine pieces and stuff from many tree sets as the tentacles.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Curious as well. I have had thoughts of a Cthulhu monster for a long time, but just don't have the pieces to do the tentacles, even in other colors.

I did debate about making a smaller scale one and using the hanging vine pieces and stuff from many tree sets as the tentacles.
Shouldnt the upcoming Strange set help? Together with those brickshops who tear down sets?

Ponn

Banned

Yea the tentacles i'm using are the same ones from the gateway of the squid set, this one here

w5jDCIx.jpg

I ordered a bunch of extra ones and I have some green colored ones as well. No sense in being secretive about my plans i'd rather brainstorm. I like the overall shape of that squid in the set for the head of a Cthullu with some changes to make it more "human head" shaped and adding in some green parts. It's the body i'm mainly looking at now and i'm leaning towards working with a bionicle set as the base body and adding the modified squid build as the head. Also since i'm leaning more towards making it "cool looking" over technique i'm thinking of using the wings from either the Morro Dragon or the Green NRG dragon sets for it to make it really pop.

Shouldnt the upcoming Strange set help? Together with those brickshops who tear down sets?

The Dr. Strange set has a good build for how I want to do the mouth of the build. I'm just looking to do it green and black instead.

Hope I don't drive myself insane working on this. Hehehe...hehehe...hahahahaHAHA!!

edit: You know none of the bionicle sets look like they'd totally fit. I think i'm going to use one of the Ninjago dragons as a base instead and just heavily mod them.

Plum

So the Ferrari F40 and Mini Cooper Creator sets are now in the "Hard to Find" section online. As I'm new to this whole thing how long do sets usually last once they've reached this stage? I'm considering asking for both for Christmas then getting the VW Beetle down the line to finish the collection. Will I still be able to buy them by then?

EDIT: And in other news I just found out the place I'm going to University has its own Lego Store. Gonna be so difficult stopping myself from spending all my money there.

So the Ferrari F40 and Mini Cooper Creator sets are now in the "Hard to Find" section online. As I'm new to this whole thing how long do sets usually last once they've reached this stage? I'm considering asking for both for Christmas then getting the VW Beetle down the line to finish the collection. Will I still be able to buy them by then?

EDIT: And in other news I just found out the place I'm going to University has its own Lego Store. Gonna be so difficult stopping myself from spending all my money there.
Hard to Find usually signifies the LEGO exclusives. When it becomes Retiring Soon, start to worry.

As for the sets you listed, get the Mini Cooper first. It is older and more likely to retire before the Ferrari, it is also the better set.

Plum

Hard to Find usually signifies the LEGO exclusives. When it becomes Retiring Soon, start to worry.

As for the sets you listed, get the Mini Cooper first. It is older and more likely to retire before the Ferrari, it is also the better set.

Thanks for the heads up. Can't see any retiring soon sets on there so I'm not going to worry just yet. To be honest I might skip on the Ferrari since it doesn't exactly mesh well with the Cooper, Beetle and Camper despite being a decent model by itself. That and space in University is at a premium.

Not too relevant but I'm probably more excited for the Camper Van coming tomorrow than I've been for many of the games that I've bought on Day One this year. Buying that Tower Bridge has brought me back to when I was a Lego freak nearly a decade ago. It's great.

Thanks for the heads up. Can't see any retiring soon sets on there so I'm not going to worry just yet. To be honest I might skip on the Ferrari since it doesn't exactly mesh well with the Cooper, Beetle and Camper despite being a decent model by itself. That and space in University is at a premium.

Not too relevant but I'm probably more excited for the Camper Van coming tomorrow than I've been for many of the games that I've bought on Day One this year. Buying that Tower Bridge has brought me back to when I was a Lego freak nearly a decade ago. It's great.

The Camper is really top tier stuff. All the current Creator Expert vehicles are.
Ranking time!

Beetle > Camper > Mini Cooper > Ferrari

This is not a knock against the Ferrari. It is still a fantastic set, but in that company is stiff competition.

Plum

The Camper is really top tier stuff. All the current Creator Expert vehicles are.
Ranking time!

Beetle > Camper > Mini Cooper > Ferrari

This is not a knock against the Ferrari. It is still a fantastic set, but in that company is stiff competition.

So Cooper next, then for Christmas I'll ask for the Beetle and if I get some decent Christmas money I'll get the Ferrari. Great stuff. Looking at getting the Marble Maze as well as a modular or two.

That does remind me, I really need to sign up for VIP. I should have done it with the Tower Bridge set. If I'm gonna be sucked into this money vortex might as well get something back !

R-User!

At first read, I thought I saw Jeep in there and thought, "Creator Expert classic Jeep!" If only.

Still pulling for a classic American muscle car to join that series.

Hey, a Jeep would be cool. I wonder what LEGO has in store for our wallets. I doubt they come out with another Creator set like Big Ben unless they axe Opera House, and I don't have my hopes set high for Star Wars due to this years Ultimate Collectors Rehash and Return sets.

I wonder what licenses LEGO will want to make a big set with. Minecraft perhaps again, but i didn't really like their sets very much though they are great parts packs.

I imagine that a LEGO Batman movie set HAS to have an exclusive thrown in there ala Seacow.

Modular
Bat Exclusive
Creator set vehicle
Creator set landmark
Star Wars 1
Star Wars 2 (3 for 40th anniversary?)
Minecraft
PotC ship?...
Ninjago? With film perhaps. That's Nov 2017?

That's potentially 10 right there if SW does 3.

I can't wait to hear more tidbits.

Yea the tentacles i'm using are the same ones from the gateway of the squid set, this one here

I ordered a bunch of extra ones and I have some green colored ones as well. No sense in being secretive about my plans i'd rather brainstorm. I like the overall shape of that squid in the set for the head of a Cthullu with some changes to make it more "human head" shaped and adding in some green parts. It's the body i'm mainly looking at now and i'm leaning towards working with a bionicle set as the base body and adding the modified squid build as the head. Also since i'm leaning more towards making it "cool looking" over technique i'm thinking of using the wings from either the Morro Dragon or the Green NRG dragon sets for it to make it really pop.

The Dr. Strange set has a good build for how I want to do the mouth of the build. I'm just looking to do it green and black instead.

Hope I don't drive myself insane working on this. Hehehe...hehehe...hahahahaHAHA!!

edit: You know none of the bionicle sets look like they'd totally fit. I think i'm going to use one of the Ninjago dragons as a base instead and just heavily mod them.

I think you are better of using system building as a base. While some have successfully blended constraction and system, I think it would be easier to stick with the system ball joins that the dragons and mechs usually use.

Don't forget to include Cthulu jr.

latest

ghostmind

Hey, a Jeep would be cool. I wonder what LEGO has in store for our wallets. I doubt they come out with another Creator set like Big Ben unless they axe Opera House, and I don't have my hopes set high for Star Wars due to this years Ultimate Collectors Rehash and Return sets.

I wonder what licenses LEGO will want to make a big set with. Minecraft perhaps again, but i didn't really like their sets very much though they are great parts packs.

I imagine that a LEGO Batman movie set HAS to have an exclusive thrown in there ala Seacow.

Modular
Bat Exclusive
Creator set vehicle
Creator set landmark
Star Wars 1
Star Wars 2 (3 for 40th anniversary?)
Minecraft
PotC ship?...
Ninjago? With film perhaps. That's Nov 2017?

That's potentially 10 right there if SW does 3.

I can't wait to hear more tidbits.

Rumors as I last heard them:

LEGO Batman Movie Arkham Asylum
PotC ship
UCS Snowspeeder
modular building
2nd UCS Star Wars

That's it so far, but I've been away from the rumors desk for a while. I'll see what else I can learn this week...

ghostmind

JUNIORS 2017 1H:

10734 Construction Site
10735 Police Chase
10736 Anna & Elsa's Ice Playground
10737 Batman vs. Mr. Freeze
10740 Firefighter suitcase
10746 Mia's Stable suitcase
10747 Andrea & Stephanie's Beach Vacation

ghostmind

Disney (was Disney Princess) 2017 1H:

41143 Berry's Kitchen
41144 Petite's Riding Set
41147 Anna's Freezing Adventures
41148 Elsa's Winter Palace
41149 Moana Set 1
41150 Moana Set 2

ghostmind

Friends 2017 1H:

41300 Puppy Championship
41301 Puppy Parade
41302 Puppy Salon
41303 Puppy Playground
41304 Puppy Park
41305 Emma's Photo Studio
41306 Mia's Beach Bike
41307 Olivia's Inventor Lab
41308 Stephanie's Bakery
41309 Andrea's Show
41310 Heartlake Present Service
41311 Heartlake Pizzeria
41312 Heartlake Gym
41313 Heartlake Swimming Bath
41314 Stephanie's House

ghostmind

Technic 2017 1H:

42051 Airport Rescue Vehicle
42057 Helicopter
42058 Stunt Bike
42059 Stunt Truck
42060 Street Working Cars
42061 Telescopic Handlers (?)
42062 Container Transport
42063 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
42064 Searching Ship
42065 RC Tracked Racer
42066 Air Race Jet

Disney (was Disney Princess) 2017 1H:

41143 Berry's Kitchen
41144 Petite's Riding Set
41147 Anna's Freezing Adventures
41148 Elsa's Winter Palace
41149 Moana Set 1
41150 Moana Set 2

Interesting, I wonder if the Moana sets will include a Maui BigFig or if there will be some kind of new Friends-version of a BigFig, or will they include him at all?

Also goddamn Lego is riding Frozen's jock. 3 waves? What else could they make at this point? They've done both castles and the sleigh, is one of those sets gonna be with the rock trolls? I wonder if Elsa's Winter Palace is gonna be them attempting to make up for the completely abysmal ice castle they shat out in a panic.

ghostmind

Nexo Knights 2017 1H:

70347 Bike of the Royal Guard
70348 Lance's Double-Lance Cruiser
70349 Ruina's Cage Roller
70350 Triple-Rocker
70351 Clay's Blaster Falcon
70352 Jestro's Monstrous Monster Vehicle
70362 Action Clay
70363 Action Macy
70364 Action Aaron
70365 Action Axl
70366 Action Lance
70372 Combo Nexo Powers (Series 1)

ghostmind

Ninjago 2017 1H:

70621 Vermillion Trap
70622 Desert Racer
70623 Shadow of the Destiny's Bounty
70624 Vermillion Infiltrator
70625 Samurai Turbomobile
70626 Disastrous Dusk
70627 Dragon Forge

ghostmind

Speed Champions 2017 1H:

75877 Mercedes-AMG GT3
75879 Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H
75881 2016 Ford GT & 1966 Ford GT40
75882 Ferrari FXX K & Development Center

Thank goodness Nexo Knights isn't capturing my attention like Ninjago has. I do like some of the Nexo Knight sets, but my main interests in Nexo Knights are the new parts and the minifigs (especially the bad guys).

I just happened to open my order today from Bricks & Pieces that I received a few months ago. I ordered a lot of Nexo Knights minifig parts.

"I can't hear you, I have a banana in my ear!"
hnv8Xi4.jpg

If they made those scurriers in green, they could easily be some sort of goblins.
The heads have standard head shape so most helmets and hair should fit them.

"Check out that red head!"
oWMrbGo.jpg
Magma guy is one of my favorite bad guy minifigs in Nexo Knights. It's a great army building minifig IMO.

Ran out of jokes. Testing out how Jestro's head works with Joker. Not too bad, but looks like Joker on meth.
I'm liking the fire bad guys. I wonder what they'll do for future bad guys in Nexo Knights.

I also got a bunch of the bad guy balls. I'm a bit disappointed because of the orientation of the red ball faces. The orange balls are perfect for putting down flat. The red ones need to be vertical for the faces to be properly oriented and visible.

mclem

Toys R Us UK seem to have a sale on for 20%+ off various Lego sets. Most notable I've found thus far - based on what I've heard enthusiasm for on here! - is a £40 Morro Dragon.

Edit: £216 Helicarrier?

Edit2: £49 Quinjet City Chase; and at the other end of the scale, £7.50 Bricktober TRU Store.

Edit3: £80 Destiny's Bounty. No idea if any of these are actually any good, they're just things I've heard mentioned in this thread! Still, seems high compared to US discounts, but I guess that's standard?

teeny

Toys R Us UK seem to have a sale on for 20%+ off various Lego sets. Most notable I've found thus far - based on what I've heard enthusiasm for on here! - is a £40 Morro Dragon.

Edit: £216 Helicarrier?

Edit2: £49 Quinjet City Chase; and at the other end of the scale, £7.50 Bricktober TRU Store.

Edit3: £80 Destiny's Bounty. No idea if any of these are actually any good, they're just things I've heard mentioned in this thread! Still, seems high compared to US discounts, but I guess that's standard?

£23.99 for the Doctor Strange set, too, cool. Thanks for the heads up :)

I was trying to build Cthulhu, I had the 6086 octopus as the head and system ball joints for the arms & legs. He ended up looking too mech-like though.

mclem

Yeah I've got my eye on this but I just bought the Temple of Airjitzu and... should I...?

Speaking of which, while the bonus discount you mentioned last week or so is no longer active, Smyths still have 20% off on the ToA in general (and now they have it back in stock, which was the problem when I looked for the double-discount)... might still be tempted...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just bought an Empire Battle Pack and Mighty Micros: Spider-Man :D

Also saw the Ezra Speedbike Set for 10€, I will grab it the next time I am there

Yeah I've got my eye on this but I just bought the Temple of Airjitzu and... should I...?

It's never gonna be cheaper than that, I wouldn't have thought.

If you've been hesitstatng in buying it, there's probably a reason. It's definitely a nice display piece. It'll probably go up in value as it's iconic and unlikely to be made again. All that said, it's not on my must get list. With all the high priced sets, gotta pick and choose based on priorities. I still have a few modulers, Ghostbuster HQ, and Batcave on my must get list. No room for Helicarrier unless I win a lottery.

I'd hesitate at any set over £200 to be honest, it's a lot of money no matter what you're getting.

I *really* wanted it while I was having an Avengers marathon a few months back, but I'm calmed down a bit now. Thing is, in a few years when I watch all these films and it's retired, what then!

That reminds me I'm behind on ideas sets.
I need Maze and Wall-E and now that car.

I'm behind on modulars too. Not good.

That car looks great!

I bought the BBT set and have regretted it ever since-I still haven't built it or the WallE one and as such passed on the maze. From now on it'll just be sets I really want, not sets for completion's sake.

But like you I still need that Brick Bank dammit.

Plum

Oh man, despite being less grandiose as the Tower Bridge I built last I've been having as much, and at times more, fun building the VW Camper Van. Seeing how all the little details come together into something tangible is great. Will be getting the other Creator vehicles for sure if this is any sign of their quality.

What does it mean that the "item will come repackaged."?

I bought a Amazon Warehouse Tie Fighter a few months ago and it had a little damage on the box, but it said that in the description.

Does a full repackaging mean it doesn't even include the box?
No idea. For a modular I would hope it meant still in the original plastic bags but no box. I got a small set without box and all the pieces were in one ziploc but it was probably a 200 piece set so no biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom