• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The year is coming to an end so I sat down and looked at the list of what I wanted to buy in 2016 and what I still don't have.. I have quite a few sets I wouldn't mind picking up but can't really decide which is really a good idea to get..

31050 Corner Deli Initially this was a Creator favorite of mine but it kind of fell off my radar further into the year, mostly because I enjoy rural Creator sets more than urban ones but it would still make a great addition to my City collection..
31053 Treehouse Adventures This, I will most certainly be buying as it is an amazing set and will go together great with my other rural Creator sets..
41129 Amusement Park Hot Dog Van This set is just pure win IMO so yeah, also in the bag..
60101 Airport Cargo Plane I wanted to buy this to pair with my Cargo Truck because I love the cargo theme (my first ever Lego was the 6367 Semi Truck) but I doubt my budget or display cabinet will have room.
75099 Rey's Speeder I think it's one of the better Star Wars releases from TFA even though it's not exactly movie accurate, but worth it for Rey if nothing else I suppose.. Price/part ratio is terrible though..
75140 Rebel Troop Transport Amazing set I can't justify paying for unfortunately, considering I haven't built the TFO TIE and Poe's X-Wing yet..

If you were me and could buy 2 or at most 3 of these, which ones would you go for?

Resistance Troop Transport for sure. As for a second set, either Treehouse or the Hot Dog Cart.

I dunno if you guys saw this on not but it was leaked on reddit, there's a secret Yoko Ono Minifig included in the Yellow Submarine set, I haven't embedded it for spoilerz

link

I see what you did there.

The year is coming to an end so I sat down and looked at the list of what I wanted to buy in 2016 and what I still don't have.. I have quite a few sets I wouldn't mind picking up but can't really decide which is really a good idea to get..

41129 Amusement Park Hot Dog Van This set is just pure win IMO so yeah, also in the bag..

75140 Rebel Troop Transport Amazing set I can't justify paying for unfortunately, considering I haven't built the TFO TIE and Poe's X-Wing yet..

If you were me and could buy 2 or at most 3 of these, which ones would you go for?

I expect you may have a good chance to find the resistance trooper on a really good sale or clearance. I feel the ship doesn't appeal to a lot of kids and adults.

That said, I did buy it because of all the rave reviews here on how fun it was to build. Plus I can never have too many light grey parts.
It was indeed fun to build. Lame display piece though. It's also as swooshable as LEGO set box. The LEGO "math" to figure out all the SNOT work was amazing.

I dunno if you guys saw this on not but it was leaked on reddit, there's a secret Yoko Ono Minifig included in the Yellow Submarine set, I haven't embedded it for spoilerz

link

LOL. Clever! This is the Rick-roll of LEGO.
I got brick-rolled!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is the Special Forces Tie-Fighter a not good set?
I am always of the edge of buying it, but Jangbricks has no video and he commented that it was not god, but I could get it cheaper and there is no OT Tie-Fighter currently avaiable.

teeny

Is the Special Forces Tie-Fighter a not good set?
I am always of the edge of buying it, but Jangbricks has no video and he commented that it was not god, but I could get it cheaper and there is no OT Tie-Fighter currently avaiable.

It's a pretty standard TIE fighter build in that the main body is fairly compact yet simple and the duplication on the wings is a bit laborious. But you'll always get that with a TIE.

I think it looks pretty good on display and is a fine substitute for a standard Imperial TIE if you're unwilling to go for the UCS set. If you can find it cheap and it's a good deal, then go for it. Though if you don't have the TIE Advanced Prototype from Rebels, then that's a much better build at a much better price point IMO.

Agree with teeny that Advance Prototype is the one to get if you haven't.

I have both 2012 TIE And X-Wing, and TFA ones are very similar builds, but I enjoyed the SF TIE more than the Poe X-Wing.

I have both 2012 TIE And X-Wing, and TFA ones are very similar builds, but I enjoyed the SF TIE more than the Poe X-Wing.

Yeah, I have the 2012 Tie, X-Wing & Poe's X-Wing. I'm seriously debating getting the SF Tie & the new X-Wing because I think they look cool, but it seems like such a waste/storage hog.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not a big fan if the prototype, when I buy a Tie Advanced I want a Vader minifig coming with it.
Hope I will get around buying the Tie before its gone... Its avaiable for 40€ at my shop and I dont want to spend more money then this on a Lego set...

ghostmind

71017 The LEGO Batman Movie CMF
71018 Series 17 CMF
71019 The LEGO Ninjago Movie CMF

Justice League movie will have 3 sets in 2017, and 1 set for the Wonder Woman movie.

A Wonder Woman Invisible Jet? But is it for the movie or DC Super Hero Girls?

We aren't done with Classic TV Batman, but has it been pushed back due to the LEGO Batman Movie?

Spider-Man: Homecoming is getting at least 3 sets, but will Thor: Ragnarok be getting a set, a la Dr. Strange?

Where are the Fantastic Beasts sets? They were rumored for this Winter, but now we just have the Dimensions sets.

71042 PotC D2C

The Fairground Carousel finally arrives in 2017?

u0yMTXt.jpg

Soon...

My mother is visiting me in KY (first time I have seen her since 2012 when I passed through NC. With the Best Star in the trunk of the car) and brought several boxes of toys that my cousins used to have from the 80s/early 90s. There were a few boxes of Transformers and He-Man toys, but I was very happy to see a LEGO box.
It isn't the LEGO crate that I am missing from my childhood with the M-Tron and Pirates stuff, but still many parts I used to have and have missed, or things I totally forgot existed.
There are also a lot of TYCO bricks mixed in there, which is cool. I have a few in my collective, as many just blend in.

Ah, the MOCs of a 10-14 year old. What goes through their minds?

So many memories flooding through me right now. All those hours spent at Aladdin's Castle in the 90s with my cousin. All those quarters pumped into Point Blank.
How the hell did they break apart that massive brick?
Also, I don't remember the shock absorbers being integrated into the bricks like that before. Those are really awesome.
Also, I have several of the 2x4x2 bricks with studs on the side, but do not remember the ones with inverted sides. So much SNOT potential!

This is definitely a fun little trip, and I look forward to digging through this box and sorting it to see what other mysteries lie within.

Ponn

Banned
UCS Imperial Shuttle on AWD, no box for $695. You would have to be crazy to buy that, right? HAHAHA, absolutely insane, right? I want that set so bad.

Osahi

71017 The LEGO Batman Movie CMF
71018 Series 17 CMF
71019 The LEGO Ninjago Movie CMF

Justice League movie will have 3 sets in 2017, and 1 set for the Wonder Woman movie.

A Wonder Woman Invisible Jet? But is it for the movie or DC Super Hero Girls?

We aren't done with Classic TV Batman, but has it been pushed back due to the LEGO Batman Movie?

Spider-Man: Homecoming is getting at least 3 sets, but will Thor: Ragnarok be getting a set, a la Dr. Strange?

Where are the Fantastic Beasts sets? They were rumored for this Winter, but now we just have the Dimensions sets.

71042 PotC D2C

The Fairground Carousel finally arrives in 2017?

u0yMTXt.jpg

Soon...

That's a different logo then in the previous leak right? So was it fake after all?

They are planning something special for the Jan. 1st modular, and the Assembly Square is/was listed in reputable locations.
Still pulling for a big centerpiece to put all the buildings around.
On two 32x32 plates, it would fit perfectly in the center if you have all the modular in a square (3 plates wide, 4 deep)

Edit: Or on a 48x48 combined with 32x32 and 16x32. Basically footprint of Sydney Opera House. Then you build 16x32 entrances to attach on all sides that you put between each modular.

Osahi

They are planning something special for the Jan. 1st modular, and the Assembly Square is/was listed in reputable locations.

Can't wait for more info. The Modular Line is my favourite Lego-line. Closely followed by Star Wars. But the thought of it being 350 or more Euro's is scary :p

Still pulling for a big centerpiece to put all the buildings around.
On two 32x32 plates, it would fit perfectly in the center if you have all the modular in a square (3 plates wide, 4 deep)

Edit: Or on a 48x48 combined with 32x32 and 16x32. Basically footprint of Sydney Opera House. Then you build 16x32 entrances to attach on all sides that you put between each modular.

I wouldn't actually like that, as the foot print would be way to big. My modular street is on the fireplace shelf in one long line, so I couldn't fit them around a square at all. I really hope it's something that still fits my current set up, as it is really the 'Piece of Resistance' in our living room, where every visitor is drawn to immidiatly.

I have both and while the proto advanced is a better build and deal the SF Tie looks so amazing thatI had to buy both. Its just an incredible looking set IMO.

Poes Xwong Im less happy about. I got it wishing we had a white blue xwing set instead. Then we gor the blue grey xwing and god is it terrible in grey.. I really wish I had gotten the last white xwing (red 5?) but at least poe was better than resistance xwing bu a margin. Hopefully well have a better Rogue One xwing when the poe box retires.

For now Im really looking forward to the Rogue One ywing. The last ywings (gold leader) shape was wrong and the one before that while movie accurate was a weak build. Im sure theyll nail it this time.

Can't wait for more info. The Modular Line is my favourite Lego-line. Closely followed by Star Wars. But the thought of it being 350 or more Euro's is scary :p

I wouldn't actually like that, as the foot print would be way to big. My modular street is on the fireplace shelf in one long line, so I couldn't fit them around a square at all. I really hope it's something that still fits my current set up, as it is really the 'Piece of Resistance' in our living room, where every visitor is drawn to immidiatly.

I really don't think they're gonna do that for that reason alone. I mean, TONS of people have it set up in a line, only a few have the actual space to pull that huge square off.

Don't mind me, just randomly decided to take a picture of one of my oldest sets :p
Got it just after it was discontinued, when it could still be found for the normal price...

I wonder how much my Lego collection would be worth in total if I were to sell everything. At least it can serve as emergency savings!

Osahi

I really don't think they're gonna do that for that reason alone. I mean, TONS of people have it set up in a line, only a few have the actual space to pull that huge square off.

That's what I figured too, and hope.

My wild guess is it's two baseplates with a building (or buildings) in a U-shape around a small square in the middle

willp2003

All this talk of modulars.....
I've just added all 5 modulars into my basket. I have no display space, but someone give me a good reason not to press the button.
I get a free bus!

That's what I figured too, and hope.

My wild guess is it's two baseplates with a building (or buildings) in a U-shape around a small square in the middle

Yeah about that... i actually have a little "update" concerning this issue.

I JUST got back from the Lego store and... i had a little chat with the manager and he told me that he actually SAW the modular square in person and it was glorious according to him!! When i then asked him that precise question (about whether it was gonna fit into a line or square setup etc.) he went on about how it could be both or more... as though it will be TRULY modular in concept, he also compared it to Pet Shop in the sense that you can separate the halves and integrate or interchange them however you like so that sounds kinda exciting!! He also talked about it more in the sense of a "house" and less of a park or actual square so not sure what to make of that. I could tell he obviously wouldn't/couldn't go into more detail without spoiling it all so make of that what you will ;)

Anyway, color me hyped for the thing :)))

wetwired

Double VIP hit finally here in Australia, ordered both the Disney Castle and another Ghostbusters HQ, both seem to come with the double decker promo set too

Osahi

I JUST got back from the Lego store and... i had a little chat with the manager and he told me that he actually SAW the modular square in person and it was glorious according to him!! When i then asked him that precise question (about whether it was gonna fit into a line or square setup etc.) he went on about how it could be both or more... as though it will be TRULY modular in concept, he also compared it to Pet Shop in the sense that you can separate the halves and integrate or interchange them however you like so that sounds kinda exciting!! He also talked about it more in the sense of a "house" and less of a park or actual square so not sure what to make of that. I could tell he obviously wouldn't/couldn't go into more detail without spoiling it all so make of that what you will ;)

Oh wow. Sounds amazing. Thanks for this

R-User!

I imagine an old town "cottage style" museum in the middle of town. Like a historical landmark type of building.

Sounds interesting.

All this talk of modulars.....
I've just added all 5 modulars into my basket. I have no display space, but someone give me a good reason not to press the button.
I get a free bus!

DO NOT DO IT! You would be making a pretty huge mistake.

Make five separate orders and you'll get five free buses.

I guess I am never opening my UCS Imperial Shuttle.

At some point you may as well sell it if you never plan on building it.

xoYwevv.gif

It was given to me to share, so I am sharing it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

We know you are just the dealer, not the supplier. No worries. :)

On a side note, I went to the Corvette Museum today and it just reaffirmed that we need an Expert set based on an American muscle car or sports car from the 50s or 60s. God, it would be sexy.

Also, we need a LEGO WWII style battleship. Just make it a bit bigger than the Maersk ship, and arm it to the teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom