• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

The rumored CITY themes for the summer of 2017 are "Hospital" and "Harbor".

Hopefully a chance for some nice CITY sets this summer, in the wake of the disappointing "Volcano Explorers" theme from this past summer (although the return of "Airport" was appreciated).

ghostmind

8pettx0.jpg

vKx3ruW.jpg

Compared to the original Ideas submission:

p2Av0XX.jpg

Markus

Saw this on Break.com

do-you-have-something-that-will-make-my-mother-in-law-hate-me.jpg

Damn, I hate posting something after someone else who posts something cool. Gonna get that Yellow Sub for my mom.

Oh wow, that yellow submarine looks way better! I might actually consider getting it now. Previous one was too blocky and crude. I know its lego but we have the parts now to make it more appealing.

Edit: Upon further examination, there's some peices there i dont recognize. Are these new?

0P9yNeg.png

JANG shows off more of his insane LEGO room:

https://youtu.be/63WCnObuIdw

YES!!!! Finally! So Jang IS a regular human being after all, i knew it!! ;)

I mean, for the longest time now i was admiring him for his super neat room and his organizational talents etc. always puzzled at just HOW he would achieve the feat to always keep his room 100% clean and have no backlog of sets, pieces etc. general clutter to organize, sort or whatever but this, THIS video finally shows the "dark" side of his hobby :p

Welp, to be honest though, even with the stuff he still needs to take care of, it's probably stil 85% more organized than the shitshow that is my Lego backlog and to sort bins and sets i don't/can't display anymore :(

willp2003

The submarine looks like a nice improvement, but it's of no interest to me. I've done all my spending for this year.
Need to put some time aside to build the sandcrawler.

Ponn

Banned
So i'm going to make a thread in OT later for a Lego Halloween moc contest. I ended up with an extra vacation getaways set from Target and I decided instead of returning i'm feeling grateful to GAF and in particular Lego-GAF for keeping my sanity and being there for me the last couple years when I didn't want to be around anymore. I'm going to make it casual and no real limitations. It's actually a little selfish because I just want to see some really cool Halloween Lego displays. I also need some motivation to finish mine. I'm going to work on putting the thread op together today with my own brand of dark humor but I wanted to post here first to get any suggestions you all may have. So far the rules I have are

NO RULES! Break the rules, anything goes just keep it to Lego. No megabloks.

Halloween themed MOC, display

People just want to put together a set and post a pic thats fine to, idea is fun and see cool stuff.

Will run from tonight to Halloween at some time, maybe 5 pm est. Will post a second voting thread on Nov. 1st and run it for like a day or two with pics of entries.

Right now I just have the one Vacation Getaways set as the prize. I only have a few extra freebie sets like a couple Ultimate Lavaria's that I could give away. Im not sure about having a second or third place prize. I don't want to lock out our EU and other country brothers and sisters from participating but i'm also on a fixed income and can't afford to be shipping multiple sets around the world. If anyone wants to donate sets to the prize pool then maybe will change this before I post the thread later.

I want to include pics of Halloween themed sets to give people ideas and maybe give them a starting point. Also want to post any pics that LEGO-GAF has had of our own mocs and displays from previous years so if you have any pics you want to post in the OP of the thread please repost them and tell me to put them in.

That's about it. Time to get spoopy around here.

Would it be taboo to post the big halloween display I still have made from last year? It is still all my creations. :)

But I feel like I am just diving in already armed.

I feel like contests should always have some limitation, just to force people to be creative and to make it fair to all. If not a specific set, then a specific piece-count or something.

Someone with 175,000 black and orange bricks will have an unfair advantage over someone with a couple sets!

Still, it's a grand gesture and your prize, your rules, will think on it either way and see if I can come up with something as terrifying as Geoffrey.

Ponn

Banned
Would it be taboo to post the big halloween display I still have made from last year? It is still all my creations. :)

But I feel like I am just diving in already armed.

I wanted to post some example pics in the op to give people ideas or inspiration so if you have pics I can post them. Otherwise make something new you lazy bone :p

I feel like contests should always have some limitation, just to force people to be creative and to make it fair to all. If not a specific set, then a specific piece-count or something.

Someone with 175,000 black and orange bricks will have an unfair advantage over someone with a couple sets!

Still, it's a grand gesture and your prize, your rules, will think on it either way and see if I can come up with something as terrifying as Geoffrey.

I considered that and normally I would agree but like I said, i'm being a bit selfish. I want to see some unbridled great Halloween shit. I understand being creative, but I also find with Lego putting limitations on people is a bit hypocritical. So just this one time of year i'd like to have no real rules, except make it spoopy. Also I trust that while we would appreciate a 10,000 piece pumpkin build we could see the more work and thought put into a spectacular smaller display. Especially Lego-GAF.

Ponn

Banned
I have a full IMGUR album, but here is just a small bit of my diorama. An homage to The Fog.

DnVF4xGl.jpg

Or revenge of the Zombie Cheerleaders

gZJjX6Pl.jpg

Perfect examples. Is that The Fog moc new? I don't remember seeing that.

Actually I just thought of something else we could possibly add. What does everyone think of adding a small tutorial like "How to make a Lego gravestone"?

Also since its already been brought up and has been a hot topic this year, yes I already have plans for incorporating our friend creepy Geoffrey into the OP. Nobody will be disappointed.

I want the Creepy Geoffrey, but haven't found it here in KY yet.

And The Fog MOC is the interior to the church from my display last year.

And I will put up some gravestone stuff later this week. It is rather straightforward, but has some loose connections with the way the cross is made on mine.

Hmmm while the submarine looks decent, i just can't see myself putting something like that on display anywhere with as many awesome showstopper sets as i already HAVE on display now. I cannot sacrifice precious display space for anything but the BEST.

The minifigs are cute though, may have to get it for those in the end.

I love the Beatles but it's not working for me... I'm just going to hope it gets substantially marked down on amazon like some other recent Ideas sets.

What? I can understand not being interested if you don't like the Beatles (although I can't understand not liking the Beatles), but what's wrong with it? Looks like a pretty damn good representation of the original to me. And it's not like they have a ton of suitable set ideas, so I'm taking what I can get.

I'm just so excited - an official freaking LEGO SET WITH THE BEATLES!

Rootbeer

Banned
Don't act so surprised. I'm not even the first person this thread to not be ecstatic about it.

Yellow Submarine ranks pretty low for me. I also didn't really care for the McFarlane Yellow Submarine stuff they did some years back.

Yes lots of people will rush to buy it SIMPLY because it's The Beatles... more power to them.

Plum

Yep, I'm getting that Submarine. That along with either the VW Beetle or Mini Cooper and the SW Advent Calender will make a great Winter/Christmas haul. How long do you guys reckon it'll take for the Submarine to go out of stock? Seems like it'll be in high demand.

I love the Beatles but it's not working for me... I'm just going to hope it gets substantially marked down on amazon like some other recent Ideas sets.

the minifigs look horrible in the Beatles set

What? I can understand not being interested if you don't like the Beatles (although I can't understand not liking the Beatles), but what's wrong with it? Looks like a pretty damn good representation of the original to me. And it's not like they have a ton of suitable set ideas, so I'm taking what I can get.

Feel the same as Zulithe. Love the Beatles, love Lego, hate this set. Yellow submarine is in my opinion one of the weakest things they ever did, so in a set it is not something I feel attracted to. Would have loved an early years Beatles set with a stage and the iconic drums.

A big thing for me is that is also not aesthetically pleasing.

To each their own, but unless this gets to be half off, I don't think I will be picking it up.

Holy shit they went above and beyond and included the Nowhere Man

I want to get 3, one for my dad, one for me, and one to keep in the attic forever pristine

Would have loved an early years Beatles set with a stage and the iconic drums.

A big thing for me is that is also not aesthetically pleasing.

I'm trying to think of what else would even be possible....

Abbey Road rooftop concert? A Sgt. Pepper album cover reproduction with 61 minifigs?

ghostmind

🎤I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me
She showed me her room, isn't it fantastic, danish plastic?🎤

Hmm...

Ponn

Banned
That was more time consuming than I thought but here it is, the Lego Halloween moc thread. I can still make edits or add any previous Halloween mocs people want as examples into the OP, just post pics and let me know. Feel free to post any suggestions or tutorials you want, I consider it an open LegoGAF thread.

Oh wow, that yellow submarine looks way better! I might actually consider getting it now. Previous one was too blocky and crude. I know its lego but we have the parts now to make it more appealing.

Edit: Upon further examination, there's some peices there i dont recognize. Are these new?

0P9yNeg.png

Top slope piece has been around for awhile. The bottom slope may be one of the newer ones. Let me check Bricklink.

Oh, Bricklink classifies them as archs, not curved slopes.

Brick, Arch 1 x 3 x 2 Curved Top

This one is indeed fairly new and was introduced in 2015.
Brick, Arch 1 x 3 x 2 Inverted

Well, I was inspired so I threw this together in an hour:

yellow_submarine_lego_glove.jpg

I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I will be getting that set. I have memories of watching the cartoon when I was little and thinking WTF is going on.

I don't know what part in the cartoon your MOC is from, but the style definitely fits perfectly. I think the Yellow Sub with a ton of supporting MOCs like that would convince a lot of people on the fence of getting the Yellow Sub.

Crap. I'm not sure if I got the Ghostbusters level pack for the Venkman minifig.
Too much LEGO stuff and a huge backlog. I can't keep track of what I already bought.

Here's a nice list of all the LEGO Dimensions sets up to wave 7. Make sure you get what you want before they are gone and the prices are jacked up in aftermarket.

mclem

Here's a nice list of all the LEGO Dimensions sets up to wave 7. Make sure you get what you want before they are gone and the prices are jacked up in aftermarket.

This is just what I was needing. Do we have any frame of reference for when we expect things to start disappearing?

Rootbeer

Banned
It's so impressive to see all the LEGO Dimensions stuff all next to each-other like that.

I guess the LEGO Batmn Movie stuff is part of Wave 8.

Then, LEGO Ninjago Movie stuff would be part of Wave 9. Would that be the last of Year 2 or do they have even more up their sleeves? Not that it would bother me if that were all until Year 3... Year 2 has already been sufficiently beefy.

They're calling the LEGO Batman wave "7.5", probably because it's just three sets (those two plus the Knight Rider Fun Pack). There will be two more waves after that, 8 and 9.

(I keep wanting to spell "Pack" with no C. Thanks a lot, Nintendo. :p)

Then, LEGO Ninjago Movie stuff would be part of Wave 9. Would that be the last of Year 2 or do they have even more up their sleeves? Not that it would bother me if that were all until Year 3... Year 2 has already been sufficiently beefy.
Since LEGO Ninjago doesn't come out until September, that will be the first wave of year 3 if they do anything with it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Are you missing how wave 5 only had 3 sets? I don't really care what they call the wave, but it would go against convention to call it wave 7.5

It's so impressive to see all the LEGO Dimensions stuff all next to each-other like that.

I will honestly be very surprised if there is a Year 3. I'm hoping for the best as my son and I really like the game, but I don't really gather that Year 1 was a big hit and with the decline in Toys to Life stuff I'm not optimistic. Maybe now that Infinity is gone they can make another run with Disney properties, but barring that I think that what's announced is it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, I think how successful the big tie-ins like the Fantastic Beasts, LEGO Batman Movie and LEGO Ninjago Movie do as far as pushing more sales perform will help impact Year 3 possibilities.

Clearly Ghostbusters didn't help much, but the other 3 have potential, since LEGO doesn't seem to be doing standalone games for those... though, that could change? For example, they are advertising the new Story Packs with slogans such as, "Play the complete movie!" which feels like they are saying there won't be standalone games for the Story Pack worlds.

I feel like the temptation for them to do a LEGO Batman Movie full game (with tons of playable characters) is still gonna happen, but I don't know that it's been confirmed?

And if they want to do Star Wars for year 3 (a popular speculation without much evidenece, but it makes sense with Disney Infinity out of the picture), that might be another strong incentive for them to stick with it a while longer.

They could also try to push more for the girl market by giving us Minidolls themed worlds (Friends, Elves, or the new Super Hero Girls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom