• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm i really wasn't gonna get the Star Wars Advent Calendar this year but...

seeing it in person now i'd have 3 good reasons to get it after all:

1) Bespin Guard

2) Snow Chewbacca

3) silver/grey 3-CPO (it IS supposed to be him right?)

ghostmind

Hmmm i really wasn't gonna get the Star Wars Advent Calendar this year but...

seeing it in person now i'd have 3 good reasons to get it after all:

1) Bespin Guard

2) Snow Chewbacca

3) silver/grey 3-CPO (it IS supposed to be him right?)

U-3PO, but you could have it as Clone Wars era C-3PO.

I went out and bought a few sets yesterday:

yhaFzGw.jpg
FIFTY DOLLARS!

Arc07

Built the Caterham today. The way the front fenders are attached is incredible. I had no idea what the hell I was putting together until they snapped on. Incredible model.

Can't wait for the 2017 Speed Champions sets. :O

ghostmind

25vKUY6.jpg

21306 Yellow Submarine
Ages 10+. 550 pieces.
US $59.99 - CA $69.99 - DE 59.99€ - UK £49.99
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Take a surreal trip under the seas in the LEGO® version of the Yellow Submarine from the iconic 1968 animated musical fantasy film inspired by The Beatles. Ideal for display or role-play fun, the Yellow Submarine features loads of cool, authentic details including a cockpit for the included minifigures of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

Kevin Szeto’s motivation for creating the Yellow Submarine:

“As an amateur musician and songwriter, I have always been drawn to the music of The Beatles. The creation of the Yellow Submarine model was really my way of showing my affection for The Beatles, as well as trying to pay a small tribute to The Beatles phenomenon. The Yellow Submarine is bright, fun, and colourful, which also made it a good subject to translate into LEGO form”, Kevin said as he shared his motivations for building the Yellow Submarine.

Justin Ramsden’s (LEGO designer) motivations were also very much centred around his love for the iconic band, as he was given the opportunity to refine Kevin’s initial model. “I watched the film when I was younger and was really inspired by how it oozed so much imagination – comparable to how I view LEGO elements. I’m also a massive fan of The Beatles having grown up with their music all my life so to see The Beatles in LEGO form is a dream come true.”

Available for sale beginning November 1st.

BCAz8Bw.jpg

Zn4HwEl.jpg

qVou6Cd.jpg

2KdHpCE.jpg

GzHnEzz.jpg

NysGAF

We got the Disney Castle today. Wow oh wow. Just the box is a piece of art. Far and away the largest set we've purchased. I just want to rip it open and build all night, but reality prevents us from even starting until probably the weekend.

We got the Disney Castle today. Wow oh wow. Just the box is a piece of art. Far and away the largest set we've purchased. I just want to rip it open and build all night, but reality prevents us from even starting until probably the weekend.
You are in for a treat. Enjoy!

U-3PO, but you could have it as Clone Wars era C-3PO.

Wait, after now reading up a little on him, isn't he supposed to be that Droid that appears aside Leia in the Tantive IV? So wouldn't that make him a new Hope era droid rather than a Clone Wars one then?

Also: Are the pieces for that stand included in the Yellow Submarine set?

Maengun1

I'm definitely getting 2 Yellow Submarines. One for me, and one to give my mother for a Christmas gift. She's a diehard Beatles fan and has bought a couple small Creator Lego sets for herself in the past, so it's perfect. She doesn't follow Lego news at all like we do, so she will have no idea this is even being made. It's gonna be a great surprise.

Those professional photos of the Yellow Submarine sell the set even more.

I like the use of hotdogs for the hand rails. Those new pizza slice tiles (1/4 1x1 circle tiles) really help add curves and keep the lines nice and smooth.

The minifigs are growing on me. They look so much better in high quality photos than the crappy leaked ones.

I can't wait to see the MOCs that people will make to go with the Yellow Sub.

teeny

Wait, after now reading up a little on him, isn't he supposed to be that Droid that appears aside Leia in the Tantive IV? So wouldn't that make him a new Hope era droid rather than a Clone Wars one then?

Also: Are the pieces for that stand included in the Yellow Submarine set?

Just read up U-3PO's biography on Wookieepedia. I wonder if any of that is canon now and he/she is going to appear in Rogue One. Might be a cool nod.

So with Super Hero Girls and Lego Batman, do we think there'll be more new sets from WB properties next year? Wonder Woman has to have a few sets, right?

teeny

Looks like George (ASDA) have reduced the price of some of the Rogue One sets.

£55 for the U-Wing Figther and £63 for Krennic's Imperial Shuttle. Goodbye bank balance.

Thanks for posting this. Got the Striker to add to the TIE squadron I'm developing. Wish I had the cash for the other two right now but alas. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for deals in the future.

Fake edit: Looks like the Falcon is £79 too :-O

So with Super Hero Girls and Lego Batman, do we think there'll be more new sets from WB properties next year? Wonder Woman has to have a few sets, right?

She doesn't have to, but you'd think LEGO would at least put out 1 set.

Speaking of Super Hero sets,

The following sets were on sale 20% in LEGO retail stores. Sale isn't online.
Avenjet Space Mission
Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle
That combined with double VIP points and the free promo XMas set is a good deal.

Last Super Hero set for the older wave I need now is the "Super Hero Airport Battle". I will regret if I don't get that set. I think it will be hard to get that set on sale as it will sell out immediately if it does go on sale. I may end up just buying it during double VIP and get the promo XMas set.

Last Super Hero set for the older wave I need now is the "Super Hero Airport Battle". I will regret if I don't get that set. I think it will be hard to get that set on sale as it will sell out immediately if it does go on sale. I may end up just buying it during double VIP and get the promo XMas set.

Got it for about 40% off about a month back (on Amazon). So it is possible to find it on sale. The sale lasted for about a week as well by the way.

Ponn

Banned
She doesn't have to, but you'd think LEGO would at least put out 1 set.

Speaking of Super Hero sets,

The following sets were on sale 20% in LEGO retail stores. Sale isn't online.
Avenjet Space Mission
Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle
That combined with double VIP points and the free promo XMas set is a good deal.

Avenjet is on my shit tier list this year. Its a theme they seem to be going for "Lets make a most wanted big fig villain and slap them in a $60+ set and then throw in some build, whatever, just get it out there" At least with the Darkseid set you had Green Arrow and at the time the only way to get Cyborg. Then you had the Javelin build itself which is an actual iconic ship and just so happened to be a great build and actually look good on display. Avenjet was just lazy all around. I would have paid $60 for the set if they scrapped the jet build, gave everyone jet packs and had a buildable flying throne for Thanos, or at least a Thanos Copter.

Avenjet is on my shit tier list this year. Its a theme they seem to be going for "Lets make a most wanted big fig villain and slap them in a $60+ set and then throw in some build, whatever, just get it out there" At least with the Darkseid set you had Green Arrow and at the time the only way to get Cyborg. Then you had the Javelin build itself which is an actual iconic ship and just so happened to be a great build and actually look good on display. Avenjet was just lazy all around. I would have paid $60 for the set if they scrapped the jet build, gave everyone jet packs and had a buildable flying throne for Thanos, or at least a Thanos Copter.

It comes with a build? I was getting it for the minfigs pretty much. I never imagined Hyperion would ever get a minifig. There is enough minifig goodness for me to not complan about the ship. Ship looks decent to me, but has zero nostalgia/iconic factor for me.

It comes with a build? I was getting it for the minfigs pretty much. I never imagined Hyperion would ever get a minifig. There is enough minifig goodness for me to not complan about the ship. Ship looks decent to me, but has zero nostalgia/iconic factor for me.
The figures are really great. I am with you on Hyperion. So great to have that one.

TheFuzz

Got it for about 40% off about a month back (on Amazon). So it is possible to find it on sale. The sale lasted for about a week as well by the way.

I don't recall seeing Airport battle under $50 anywhere, nor can I find a record of Amazon offering it that low. I've been watching it.

You sure about the price?

I love the minifigs in the Avenjet set. Hyperion, Captain Marvel and Thanos totally seals it for me.

I initially got them for Thanos (my favourite anti-hero),but the prints in Hyperion and Captain Marvel surprised me. The cape on Hyperion has a slight slant to it that gives a bit of flair.

I still have no idea who Hyperion is but the fig is good. Even though the Captain America one is basically the same as the Red Skull Sub one it's still a decent fig too. I appreciate that they included two heads for Captain Marvel too.

All in all, 5 great figs and a super lousy build. Not a bad ratio these days!

Double VIP finally up in the UK!

Free London Bus if you order for the next week, and that Christmas 24-day thing if you order after that. Qualifying spends, etc.

I still have no idea who Hyperion is but the fig is good. Even though the Captain America one is basically the same as the Red Skull Sub one it's still a decent fig too. I appreciate that they included two heads for Captain Marvel too.

All in all, 5 great figs and a super lousy build. Not a bad ratio these days!
I just looked up the set on Target to get a look at it, and one of the preview images didn't seem quite right...
ljZZpv7.png

DC v. Marvel crossover finally!? :)

Have to include Batman in Super Hero sets to sell them.
It's a LEGO rule to have either Batman or Spider-Man in 80% of super hero sets.

If LEGO were smart, every Marvel set would have some variation of Spider-Man in a set. Over the course of a year or two, make a full on mini fig Spider-Verse.

spiderverse.jpg

Im honestly amazed that I have yet to buy a set with Iron Man in it. He seems to be in at least 50% of the Marvel sets.

The only explanation is you are not a comic fanboy. Hulkbuster set!!! Get it. Do you even read this thread? :p

If LEGO were smart, every Marvel set would have some variation of Spider-Man in a set. Over the course of a year or two, make a full on mini fig Spider-Verse.

spiderverse.jpg

Spider-Ham...someday.
I doubt we'd see that due special head mould requirements.
I'd like to the Noir Spider-Man, but that one is very unlikely due to relatively small audience would know that one. Never know though, LEGO has already surprised me with a bunch of minifigs (like the Legion of Super-Hero ones, Hyperion, etc).

they've gotten better with spidey but they're still doing far too many repeats

Would you get all the variants like you do for Batman?

I don't get why LEGO can do so many Batman variants that are subtly different, but they've used the same red and blue Spidey print for years. I understand it's cheaper, but why not have less Batman variant also.

wetwired

Would you get all the variants like you do for Batman?

I've been getting most of the variants of spiderman of the years, I missed out on the light blue one from the very first one (though I have 2x of the dark blue, which is my fav)

I don't have the latest couple from the bridge set though

I'd love to do a frame of spidey like I have of batman and iron man now

The year is coming to an end so I sat down and looked at the list of what I wanted to buy in 2016 and what I still don't have.. I have quite a few sets I wouldn't mind picking up but can't really decide which is really a good idea to get..

31050 Corner Deli Initially this was a Creator favorite of mine but it kind of fell off my radar further into the year, mostly because I enjoy rural Creator sets more than urban ones but it would still make a great addition to my City collection..
31053 Treehouse Adventures This, I will most certainly be buying as it is an amazing set and will go together great with my other rural Creator sets..
41129 Amusement Park Hot Dog Van This set is just pure win IMO so yeah, also in the bag..
60101 Airport Cargo Plane I wanted to buy this to pair with my Cargo Truck because I love the cargo theme (my first ever Lego was the 6367 Semi Truck) but I doubt my budget or display cabinet will have room.
75099 Rey's Speeder I think it's one of the better Star Wars releases from TFA even though it's not exactly movie accurate, but worth it for Rey if nothing else I suppose.. Price/part ratio is terrible though..
75140 Rebel Troop Transport Amazing set I can't justify paying for unfortunately, considering I haven't built the TFO TIE and Poe's X-Wing yet..

If you were me and could buy 2 or at most 3 of these, which ones would you go for?

wetwired

I dunno if you guys saw this on not but it was leaked on reddit, there's a secret Yoko Ono Minifig included in the Yellow Submarine set, I haven't embedded it for spoilerz

link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom