• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Also, we need a LEGO WWII style battleship. Just make it a bit bigger than the Maersk ship, and arm it to the teeth.

You bring up a good point, and that is LEGO's stance on selling military-based sets. This is following Ole Kirk Christiansen's policy of not wanting to make war seem like child's play. However, with the number of licensed themes with military content (Star Wars being the largest), I'm wondering if this policy is hypocritical for current-day LEGO.

TheFuzz

If what I have been told is correct, we will know more about 10255 very soon.

That's good. If I remember, we found out about Brick Bank in early November last year so it's about that time. By all accounts this one should be a gem.

Any word on price other than the rumored MSRP on Brickset? I've heard $250-300.

ghostmind

Thats not soon enough.

V1FQotF.gif

I'd make a joke about how it is now time to mash refresh until news of the new modular shows up, but i'd be lying if i said that i wasn't already opening this thread to check multiple times a day.

I thought I could wait until Christmas for the castle but that's not gonna happen. I'm in Disneyworld this week...seeing it at full size gave me a much greater appreciation for how spot-on that thing is. I'm gonna have to have it pretty much as soon as we get home ;p

I thought I could wait until Christmas for the castle but that's not gonna happen. I'm in Disneyworld this week...seeing it at full size gave me a much greater appreciation for how spot-on that thing is. I'm gonna have to have it pretty much as soon as we get home ;p

You need it. Everyone needs it. Just magnificent on display, and the build is just as good if not better than the display aspects of the set.

The new king of in production sets. That is a non subtle hint as to my personal #1 of the year. But that should not come as a shock to regulars.

You bring up a good point, and that is LEGO's stance on selling military-based sets. This is following Ole Kirk Christiansen's policy of not wanting to make war seem like child's play. However, with the number of licensed themes with military content (Star Wars being the largest), I'm wondering if this policy is hypocritical for current-day LEGO.

Patience. Anakin didn't turn to the dark side overnight.

http://gizmodo.com/5019797/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-lego
Why did they changed the founders rule to never make gun like elements?
The company still has a no gun policy when it comes to realistic or military play scenarios. However, in order to stay true to the strong licensed properties we incorporate to the Lego portfolio, we need to stay true to those properties and sometimes that involves including weapons. In our own play themes, some element of good vs. bad conflict is typically considered to provide for role play opportunities. In those instances, the setting is very clearly a fantasy world.

I swear I read an article/interview with a classic space designer that stated he and other designers considered some of the stuff weapons like a laser gun. Technically it was supposed to be a light or something to be inline with the "no weapons" policy.

If anyone has a link to that article or interview where that was stated, please post it here. Thanks.

11730302825_77483f1031_m.jpg

wetwired

I've not finished yet but I've finally made some noticable progress on my LEGO room. I forgot to take a proper "before" picture but imagine the below picture with a tool bench and a bigger mess in there. This was after I'd started plastering and moved a ton of stuff out.

IMG_20161003_185827.jpg

Below: This was my initial design I was going to work with, dual ikea corner tables attached into a U shape, sorting containers on the back wall and a big space down the end of the garage for some lockers.

Screenshot%202016-08-14%2022.13.12.jpg

Below: After plastering and painting, I also attached 2 new lights on either side of the middle ceiling beam.

IMG_20161008_170824.jpg

It was at this point I realized my design needed ot change a bit, right in the middle of the desks was a light switch which need to be accessible and I need a bit more non-lego storage than original thought so the lockers were moved forward to allow space behind. So I revised the layout a bit... The green table on the right is the kids LEGO table for them to play and build on.

16575718874_de4058c319_o.jpg

So last weekend I managed to get the desks and a stool from Ikea along with some coloured LED lights for under the shelves. Obviously the carpet is in but not fixed down yet (it's just marine carpet in case of heavy rain getting in)

The top shelf however did not attach well and drooped so I had to put one of the drawer units under it (luckily it was the perfect height) and instead used all my LEDs under the bottom shelf. There's 2 metal ikea drawer sets on either side under the desk as well for extra storage.

14518688_10154679575947994_1247157189_n.jpg

It's far from finished, I think I might add a billy bookhself against the wall on the right of the desk to display finished builds, and there's the entire opposite wall which I will likely put shelves on for tubs of lego or display but there's no hurry for that. I'm still transferring a lot of my collection from the containers to the drawers (not all will fit though), that process will take a while.

I was a little concerned where the 2 desks met, right where I'd be building that the seam would be a pain but it's proven to be a non issue even with tiny parts

IMG_20161010_192659.jpg

The kids seem to have taken over it already though...

14711476_10153947677347060_6343690916344634749_o.jpg

wetwired

The shipping for S@H Australia really kills it for me. Really want a Wall-E but I'm not paying 30 bucks shipping for it.

I never buy from S@H unless it's over the $200 free shipping limit, it's just not worth it. If I can't reach it myself I usually ask around and see if anyone wants to go in on the order to reach it

leng jai

I never buy from S@H unless it's over the $200 free shipping limit, it's just not worth it. If I can't reach it myself I usually ask around and see if anyone wants to go in on the order to reach it

Yeah but right now there are no big sets I want. I've literally never seen Wall-E at retail in Australia and I've been looking regularly.

Ponn

Banned
Has anyone picked up Rex's AT-TE yet? Am I the only one even interested in Rebels sets? I'm wondering if its $100 is the lowest its going to go. I'm surprised most of the newer sets are so heavily discounted already on Amazon. I'm gun shy about picking some up though because of Black Friday around the corner and surprise deals or price errors.

I'd like that Ahsoka fig but that set she's in is so disappointing.

Has anyone picked up Rex's AT-TE yet? Am I the only one even interested in Rebels sets? I'm wondering if its $100 is the lowest its going to go. I'm surprised most of the newer sets are so heavily discounted already on Amazon. I'm gun shy about picking some up though because of Black Friday around the corner and surprise deals or price errors.

Are you talking about Rebel Combat Frigate? It looks pretty meaty to me, i mean you could do a LOT worse than that with SW sets no?

I still have my Ahsoka from Coruscant Police Gunship back then, great fig :)

Also: I need to get on Rebels asap!

I think all the figs are excellent but the set just looks terrible....I love the Fifth Brother fig - if they had included the Seventh Sister I probably would have made the leap.

As it stands there are too many SW sets I want. I'm really digging the three big ships from Rogue One & I still have my eye on the new X-Wing. Couple that with the new Holiday Train & the Brick Bank and I've got a fair amount of spending to do before 2016 is done.

All that having been said, I've run out of display space. I'll post pics later but I've gotten the bulk of my collection disassembled and sorted but I'm still left with a bunch of sets on display, plus the kids' "play area". I'd planned to only buy SW sets I could display from now on, but the Rogue One sets are calling me.....

TheFuzz

I think all the figs are excellent but the set just looks terrible....I love the Fifth Brother fig - if they had included the Seventh Sister I probably would have made the leap.

As it stands there are too many SW sets I want. I'm really digging the three big ships from Rogue One & I still have my eye on the new X-Wing. Couple that with the new Holiday Train & the Brick Bank and I've got a fair amount of spending to do before 2016 is done.

All that having been said, I've run out of display space. I'll post pics later but I've gotten the bulk of my collection disassembled and sorted but I'm still left with a bunch of sets on display, plus the kids' "play area". I'd planned to only buy SW sets I could display from now on, but the Rogue One sets are calling me.....

Obligatory time for me to recommend Krennic's Shuttle. It's a beast and a really interesting build. I've seen the U-Wing in person now and REALLY want that one next.

The Rebel Frigate is indeed not that great looking, but is not an Imperial Assault Carrier, that set is just so damn ugly. It is now on almost 50% clearance and I still will not burn my hands on that one. The Rebel Frigate is at least one of those ships that once it hits 80 euro it will be mine, even though I never really noticed it in the series.

The AT-TE is not that great looking and is only in one episode, but still is pulling me every single time it goes on sale (which is a lot for such a new set). Just like the Clone Turbo Tank.

The Ghost was such a great ship, a shame that many missed out due to its limited life span.

Quick edit: got the First Order Transporter down to play with together and I forgot how good of a built that was. Such a great looking transporter with so many hidden play features.

Fowler

I just started watching Rebels. It's funny, I used to see Rebels sets and minifigs in the shops and go "meh", but now I'm annoyed I missed out on stuff like the Ghost!

Rex's AT-TE is a bit disappointing tho, it's such a great idea and a cool vehicle on the show, but it doesn't translate properly to the set.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What is the cheapest set with a Darth Vader minifig?

Sorry for asking so much but I have a distinct idea for a scene I want to display. I already have the Empire Battleset and I want to include it in a scene with a landed Tie-Advanced that is secured by the Troopers.
On the other side will be a couple of Rebels from the Rebel Scout Speeder set.
Want to scrap some parts of my old Lego like the Original R2-D2 as a random astromech and maybe try to include some heroes like Luke and Darth Vader a little bit detached from the scene in a lightsaber fight maybe on some kind of balcony. Most likely it will turn out pretty bad in the end since I have to few bricks and dont thinkt that I can scrap enought fitting stuff from my old Legos but at least I have a idea :D

Ponn

Banned
Are you talking about Rebel Combat Frigate? It looks pretty meaty to me, i mean you could do a LOT worse than that with SW sets no?

I still have my Ahsoka from Coruscant Police Gunship back then, great fig :)

Also: I need to get on Rebels asap!

YES! Watch Rebels asap, such a good Star Wars show that adds to the SW universe. My problem with that Frigate set is if I spend over $100 on a set it better look like a $100 set and it just doesn't.

I'm hoping we still get a Seventh Sister fig somewhere. I'd also like a chance to get a Rebels Maul fig with a sith holocron. I like the AT-TE build, it captures the feel from the episode great.

The Rebel Frigate is indeed not that great looking, but is not an Imperial Assault Carrier, that set is just so damn ugly. It is now on almost 50% clearance and I still will not burn my hands on that one. The Rebel Frigate is at least one of those ships that once it hits 80 euro it will be mine, even though I never really noticed it in the series.

The AT-TE is not that great looking and is only in one episode, but still is pulling me every single time it goes on sale (which is a lot for such a new set). Just like the Clone Turbo Tank.

The Ghost was such a great ship, a shame that many missed out due to its limited life span.

The imperial assault carrier, ugh. A crappy $100+ set just for Sabine's helmet. That was the most ridiculous thing. And I like Rex's At-TE because of the show. If you don't watch the show I could see how someone looking at it on the shelf would go "what the hell is that, pass" That was such a great episode though and when you put it into that context it makes a difference. I wanted a fifth brother fig so i'm not complaining he is in the set but that is one of the only things that bug me about that set because, you know, he was not in any of those episodes. Weirdest damn inclusion.

I just started watching Rebels. It's funny, I used to see Rebels sets and minifigs in the shops and go "meh", but now I'm annoyed I missed out on stuff like the Ghost!

Rex's AT-TE is a bit disappointing tho, it's such a great idea and a cool vehicle on the show, but it doesn't translate properly to the set.

It's missing the giant sandworm build.

I've not finished yet but I've finally made some noticable progress on my LEGO room. I forgot to take a proper "before" picture but imagine the below picture with a tool bench and a bigger mess in there. This was after I'd started plastering and moved a ton of stuff out.

It was at this point I realized my design needed ot change a bit, right in the middle of the desks was a light switch which need to be accessible and I need a bit more non-lego storage than original thought so the lockers were moved forward to allow space behind. So I revised the layout a bit... The green table on the right is the kids LEGO table for them to play and build on.

16575718874_de4058c319_o.jpg

Green table for the kids to "play". You mean child labor for sorting. I heard there's a lot of Simpsons MOCs that need sorting.

It's a designer video with Bessa. He is going to show how he designed his Subway sandwich for lunch.

Maengun1

Wow. Considering the modulars have always had good price-per-piece ratios, hoping that 4002 pieces translates to $350 rather than 400.

This will be the first time I've EVER gone over $200 on a single set (and that was only for the 2 Simpsons sets thus far)
AU7Amsc.gif

Wow. Considering the modulars have always had good price-per-piece ratios, hoping that 4002 pieces translates to $350 rather than 400.

This will be the first time I've EVER gone over $200 on a single set (and only for the 2 Simpsons sets thus far)
AU7Amsc.gif

It will probably be about $300. $350 tops. I am very excited for this one. And if it is like Parisian Restaurant, LEGO is just gonna blow their load on January 1st and have the rest of the year failing to match the opening salvo.
Even if Sea Cow was the better set that year. :)

EDIT:
Eurobricks once again referring back to here. I guess LEGO GAF is officially in the loop. So how long until Wetwired starts getting freebies since he started us down this path years ago?

So is it gonna be like a sky scraper? 6 story tall modular would be epic. Hopefully it says with the modular price ratio and retails for around $250-300. I'll have graduated college when that is released so hopefully I have a job by then and can afford sets that expensive lol

ninge

I'm slightly annoyed that the rumors appear to be true... we've only just re-arranged our city and there is a perfect spot for a normal modular just sat waiting for January and we've just finished building our own park! grrr :p

So while this sounds awesome, it's not really what I was hoping for! Some people can complain about anything, am i right?

wetwired

I'm slightly annoyed that the rumors appear to be true... we've only just re-arranged our city and there is a perfect spot for a normal modular just sat waiting for January and we've just finished building our own park! grrr :p

So while this sounds awesome, it's not really what I was hoping for! Some people can complain about anything, am i right?

I used to disassemble my modulars a month or so after I bought them and then rebuild them all when the next modular came out. I obviously don't do that anymore as I'd spend my entire year rebuilding modulars now. Though if this is truely the last one as rumoured then I may rebuild them all one final time.

I used to disassemble my modulars a month or so after I bought them and then rebuild them all when the next modular came out. I obviously don't do that anymore as I'd spend my entire year rebuilding modulars now. Though if this is truely the last one as rumoured then I may rebuild them all one final time.

wait, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom