• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkified

So I've just bought the Pet Shop online .... what have I done ......

P.S. I signed up as VIP member a while ago, does that mean I will get those VIP points when the payment is taken within a day or two? On the email it stated 'the points you can earn with this order' just has me slightly worried about not getting those precious VIP points.

willp2003

P.S. I signed up as VIP member a while ago, does that mean I will get those VIP points when the payment is taken within a day or two? On the email it stated 'the points you can earn with this order' just has me slightly worried about not getting those precious VIP points.
You'll get the points when the order has been shipped.
I got mine today and got a free parrot polybag as an extra freebie.

You've made an investment that will give you enjoyment while it appreciates in value.

For those in Canada, Temple of Airjitzu is about 20% off.

179.94 sale price (MSRP $229.99)

A1z%2BI2jRSkL._SL1500_.jpg

I thought these large sets weren't supposed to go on sale. Been seeing more and more getting small sales every so often.

Walmart
http://www.walmart.ca/search/lego/N-31

Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0144OAE30/

Ponn

Banned
I am ashamed of what i've done over double vip month. I can only take solace that I will only be paying a pittance for Assembly Square on Jan. 1st.

He may be doing custom moulds for hair as I know he had a flash a while back with a custom helmet.

I missed out on that catwoman, still annoyed :(

Is that orange suit joker from something in particular?

No idea what that Joker is based on. I believe it was a color variant of a purple version he did. I won it at a low price and since I already won another auction, shipping would still be the same to ship both items. I tried to win multiple auctions at a time to reduce shipping costs on his stuff.

Temple is no longer on the no discount list. Not for maybe 2 months.

Thanks. I missed out on the part where those no discounts were just for certain periods. When the rule first came out it always seemed like they NEVER went on sale.

Best set of 2015.

By far. I want to tear it down for all the tasty parts in it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. It is too beautiful while on display. I have many ninjas set up on it, engaged in epic battle.
It is everything I wanted from the Ninjago theme, at least I thought it was. And then the Morro Dragon came along, and had all those ghost ninjas. Now the Morro Dragon is attacking the Temple of Airjitzu as epic battle rages all around.

NysGAF

We finished the Disney Castle today. It was bittersweet as it's by far the most amazing set we've done. The modulars look almost dull in comparison.

On Display by Pieter, on Flickr

We're wondering about the
Cinderella slipper that gets hidden
. Is that some Disney lore we missed?

Disney Castle is easily the best set of 2016 for me. Unless the stealth releases of the few Batman sets or Yellow Submarine blow my mind, I feel confident in calling Disney Castle the tops for the year. But that is just my opinion.

This year in particular has had some very, very strong sets released.

We finished the Disney Castle today. It was bittersweet as it's by far the most amazing set we've done. The modulars look almost dull in comparison.

On Display by Pieter, on Flickr

We're wondering about the
Cinderella slipper that gets hidden
. Is that some Disney lore we missed?

Simple solution is buy 1 more of each modular and double their size. :)
All 3 of those a currently still available, but Pet Shop is no longer in production and will soon be gone for good.

It's not fair comparing a magical castle to city buildings. The castle is need to be set apart and have a bunch of amusement park rides around it. I believe the Ferris Wheel would be a good start. :)

Osahi

The free advent calendar thing is online. Could have waited with my order if I paid a bit more attention. Ah well, London bus wil be nice too.

I feel like I'm just hoarding the free sets to sell later (or give away, in the case of stuff like mini Ninjago sets). I mean, where the hell would I display a mini-scale bus of all things? At least it has stickers that could possibly be used somewhere else.

I think I need to start selling off some stuff anyway. Too much.

Kyari

Man, UK Lego GAF, I have to give it to Wilko. They continue to put out pretty decent looking sets for not a whole lot of money:

0438408_l.jpg

Brickset just posted a list of stuff that's been labelled as "retiring soon" on the shop.

10218 Pet Shop
10234 Sydney Opera House
10236 Ewok Village
21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1
21302 The Big Bang Theory
21303 WALL-E
21304 Doctor Who
75059 Sandcrawler

I know there's been a bit of talk over the last few pages over some of these, but probably worth posting them again because last chance saloon!

Man, UK Lego GAF, I have to give it to Wilko. They continue to put out pretty decent looking sets for not a whole lot of money:

i just had a look at their website, some nice stuff on there (i like the viking ship, particularly) and the fact that so much of it is half price at the moment makes it even better.

have you actually got any of sets, how do the actual bricks feel? i dont expect them to be lego quality but if they're really cheap and nasty feeling i dont think i'd be able to cope with it.

Brickset just posted a list of stuff that's been labelled as "retiring soon" on the shop.

10218 Pet Shop
10234 Sydney Opera House
10236 Ewok Village
21303 WALL-E
21304 Doctor Who
75059 Sandcrawler

I know there's been a bit of talk over the last few pages over some of these, but probably worth posting them again because last chance saloon!
Hoping Sandcrawler lasts until Black Friday

mclem

It's not fair comparing a magical castle to city buildings. The castle is need to be set apart and have a bunch of amusement park rides around it. I believe the Ferris Wheel would be a good start. :)

No, I believe a good start would be for an official Haunted Mansion set to be made...

...and Main Street, USA is an integral part of Disneyland/The Magic Kingdom.

Brickset put up their review of the Yellow Submarine set, and it was glowing. Well, except for this bit at the end:

Brickset said:
I have never been a Beatles fan, in fact I would go so far as to say that I hate them. I think that is partly because they were a product of my parent's generation and, of course, it's not cool to like the same music as your parents.
BAH!

But those 1x2 inverted bow pieces that are new that I wanted a lot of? Looks like I might get my wish.

29853291544_61e23ebe01_c.jpg

Osahi

10218 Pet Shop
10234 Sydney Opera House
10236 Ewok Village
21303 WALL-E
21304 Doctor Who
75059 Sandcrawler

Really on the fence for Ewol Village. I know it's great, but it's a lot of money for a 2000 pieces set, and I don't have the place to actually display the thing, unless I rearange some stuff or finally get the new shelf I am tal,king about for ages now. Will see how long it lasts, and might get it when the snowglobe hits

Kyari

i just had a look at their website, some nice stuff on there (i like the viking ship, particularly) and the fact that so much of it is half price at the moment makes it even better.

have you actually got any of sets, how do the actual bricks feel? i dont expect them to be lego quality but if they're really cheap and nasty feeling i dont think i'd be able to cope with it.

I picked up the pirate ship back in January. The bricks feel a little waxy but they click together fine and don't feel as flimsy as some of the other brands I've experienced in the past. I don't feel like the completed build is at risk of falling apart.

Also they've basically always listed the sets as half price. I've never seen them at full price, ever. Which is why I was willing to take the gamble on a £7.50 pirate ship or whatever it was.

Is there a decent white alternative for this for Market Street?

73590c02a.gif

It actually seems like quite an easy set to put together piece by piece, looking at under £200 aside from four of these things which are about ten quid each! I realise £200 isn't that cheap but it's a lot cheaper than they sell for on eBay, by about 50% or more.

As for Ewok village, just get one. You'll either want it in the future, or you won't and you can sell it for at least as much as you paid for it. It's not going to depreciate in value if you buy it now and put it in a cupboard, but if you decide you want it later it might be too late.

73590c02a.gif

It actually seems like quite an easy set to put together piece by piece, looking at under £200 aside from four of these things which are about ten quid each! I realise £200 isn't that cheap but it's a lot cheaper than they sell for on eBay, by about 50% or more.

Could just pallet swap for black, as that showed up in tons of sets over the decades.

73590c02a.gif

As for Ewok village, just get one. You'll either want it in the future, or you won't and you can sell it for at least as much as you paid for it. It's not going to depreciate in value if you buy it now and put it in a cupboard, but if you decide you want it later it might be too late.

There are plenty of ways to build better looking balconies on Market Street, but if you want to go relatively authentic, there's an older version of that part which MIGHT be cheaper. Of course, being a very old part it might also be rather rough.

The old one mostly comes from the Futuron monorail so it's not like it's a cheap part either, but at least there are alternatives.

Also, if you're in Europe, I might be persuaded to sell my Bricklinked Market Street. I have nowhere to put it and it's my least favourite.

I picked up the pirate ship back in January. The bricks feel a little waxy but they click together fine and don't feel as flimsy as some of the other brands I've experienced in the past. I don't feel like the completed build is at risk of falling apart.

Also they've basically always listed the sets as half price. I've never seen them at full price, ever. Which is why I was willing to take the gamble on a £7.50 pirate ship or whatever it was.

excellent, thanks very much.

There are plenty of ways to build better looking balconies on Market Street, but if you want to go relatively authentic, there's an older version of that part which MIGHT be cheaper. Of course, being a very old part it might also be rather rough.

These look like a few quid each, might just be perfect! Thanks!

I probably would have been interested in a ready-made Market Street but I've already ordered a good 95% of the parts now! To be honest it's by far my least favourite modular as well, appearance-wise, but having a complete collection will be beautiful.

These look like a few quid each, might just be perfect! Thanks!

I probably would have been interested in a ready-made Market Street but I've already ordered a good 95% of the parts now! To be honest it's by far my least favourite modular as well, appearance-wise, but having a complete collection will be beautiful.

If I get rid of my current one, I might some day (when I have more space) make a more updated remake. There's so much that could be improved.

Ponn

Banned
I'm still on the fence with Yellow Submarine. It would be entirely an investment set and I just don't do that. I like Beatles songs but i'm not a fan-fan so this set has never done anything for me.

I have a small stack of those freebie 24 in 1 sets now from this past month. They must have had a shitload of them. I'm going to give them out on halloween.

10218 Pet Shop
10234 Sydney Opera House
10236 Ewok Village
21303 WALL-E
21304 Doctor Who
75059 Sandcrawler

oh god this is gonna hurt. probably gonna bite on ewok village, wall e, and doctor who.

I've been brainstorming a halloween train MOC to see if I could cobble one together in a week or so. I have never MOCed a train before, and decided to look at some other trains that had a similar idea to what I had in mind, right down to glowing eyes.

I then found this album with a ridiculous train that has done much of what I was wanting to try, but probably 1000x better than what I could pull off.

Garmadon's Skull Train by legorobo:waka, on Flickr

Having not motorized a train yet either, I am trying to figure out how he is using the XL motor to drive it. Is it driving the wheels in the middle of the body?

gst15 by legorobo:waka, on Flickr

Linkified

10218 Pet Shop
10234 Sydney Opera House
10236 Ewok Village
21303 WALL-E
21304 Doctor Who
75059 Sandcrawler

As on the other page got Pet Shop ordered, hopefully it'll come within the next week.

Really want Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Wall-E, Sydney Opera House.

Unsure of Sandcrawler.

On a sidenote, i just bought Smaug off Ebay for like 70 euro lol. I really need to slow down :( But then i just reaaaaally wanted him and the actual set goes for a LOT more nowadays ugh.

golem

The Porsche GT3 RS build took way longer than expected lol. Cool build, but yeah disappointing all of the cool transmission work is hidden and there aren't any power options. Going to look into modding soon.

20" rims for scale ;)

29886867163_af46a3502d_b.jpg

Amazon delivered my Cargo Train today, and I am already playing with track layouts on a table to try and reconfigure my Halloween display to accommodate tracks. I am going to have to redo quite a bit of it, but it will be worth it. And will be easy to just replant the crosses and trees around.

Now to scheme on the train.

Proud owner of a Shuttle Tydirium as of this weekend.

No more Lego for me until 2017 Spring.. Aside from the Friends Hot Dog Stand I MUST have..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom