• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Still working on my new Lego room. Just bought some daylight fluorescents to hang above work areas. Funny enough but I had the same plan as wetwired in regards to a building desk area and had picked up the same tables. It is really just too affordable a method to not use. I also picked up 2 more tables for my city layout for a total of 6 tables. I may go up to 9 tables but I have not decided yet. I picked up 3 additional 40 inch wide 5 shelf high shelving units for the display area in the panhandle of the room. The room is kinda shaped like Oklahoma but the pan is deeper and handle is wider (scalewise) I want to get more done before I share pictures.

wetwired

Still working on my new Lego room. Just bought some daylight fluorescents to hang above work areas. Funny enough but I had the same plan as wetwired in regards to a building desk area and had picked up the same tables. It is really just too affordable a method to not use. I also picked up 2 more tables for my city layout for a total of 6 tables. I may go up to 9 tables but I have not decided yet. I picked up 3 additional 40 inch wide 5 shelf high shelving units for the display area in the panhandle of the room. The room is kinda shaped like Oklahoma but the pan is deeper and handle is wider (scalewise) I want to get more done before I share pictures.

that's the one thing I realized I need for my room, some shelving. I figured Ikea Billy Bookshelves are the way to go, they seem the perfect size for 32x32 baseplates, does anyone here use them for lego displays?

25% off deal on last year's and older star wars sets for me locally..

Tydirium or Rebel Transport? So tough.. Leaning towards Tydirium though, such a lovely model..

Ryuuroden

that's the one thing I realized I need for my room, some shelving. I figured Ikea Billy Bookshelves are the way to go, they seem the perfect size for 32x32 baseplates, does anyone here use them for lego displays?

Vittsjos are amazing

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20213312/

https://m.flickr.com/photos/58882944@N05/16357603917/?xajax=1

That link is my old display till I can fix it when I get home.

Good price, easy to set up, slick looking, lot of headroom and depth.

I do use billy's with glass doors for figures.

Ponn

Banned
City Square is a great price, but can't bite. Not even a great parts pack.

But might hit Five Below in town to stock up. All those wing pieces in the Chima set.

To play devil's advocate here on this one 1)Jang loves the set and highly recommends (I know that carries alot of weight around here) 2) it has a pretty nice sized Lego building build with a snazzy Lego truck and some mini lego box builds (printed I believe) 3) It was overpriced at msrp but now its sitting at about 7 cent a piece price ratio. 4) If you have a modular setup the little cars and builds would actually fit in.

I'm actually considering picking one up myself at that price. I would eventually like a Lego store and/or a TRU in my modular street.

valkyre

What is it with all the comments suggesting that the modular building series will be put on a hiatous after the release of Assembly Square set?

Are there any announcements regarding this or is it just someone's speculation?

What is it with all the comments suggesting that the modular building series will be put on a hiatous after the release of Assembly Square set?

Are there any announcements regarding this or is it just someone's speculation?

Would LEGO announce this, were it the case, or would we just get to next November and they wouldn't reveal a new modular?

Ponn

Banned

I really would like to get into trains, especially after watching Jang's videos. I just do not have the room for a proper set up though. I've pondered if its worth it to still collect these sets though in hopes some day I may have the room for a setup and not have to pay absurd prices for old sets. And if I end up not having the room you get the benefit of Train sets always going up in value.

I managed to snag a Christo Black Spiderman Minifig on Facebook, only $25 (they seem to go for nearly double that on Ebay)

Quite happy with him, unlike some customizers it's Pad printed.

IMG_20161021_213408.jpg

I have few of his stuff. Great quality. He was one of the few pad printing customizers when I came out of the dark ages. I'll try to take a photo of what I have.
I bought them on eBay when he used to do bidding. Last I checked a long time ago, he only had buy now at fixed prices.

I really would like to get into trains, especially after watching Jang's videos. I just do not have the room for a proper set up though. I've pondered if its worth it to still collect these sets though in hopes some day I may have the room for a setup and not have to pay absurd prices for old sets. And if I end up not having the room you get the benefit of Train sets always going up in value.

There will most likely always be new train sets, with improved electronics and using newer parts.

Outside of LEGO 2x VIP point specials, does LEGO (or other stores I guess) often discounts on larger sets around the holiday time?

I've been going back and forth on whether to get the Classic TV Batcave set now (and get the 2X VIP points), or wait until closer to the holidays when it could possibly get a larger discount (20% off would be perfect).

Recently Barnes and Noble had that LEGO sale, but it excluded most larger sets (like the modulars) and their member coupons I get can't even be redeemed for LEGO stuff.

Osahi

I noticed lots of ideas sets are labeled retiring soon now, including ecto-1 and Wall-e. So if you still need to jump on those, do so!

I ordered the Ecto, as it was on my list for a long time and don't want to miss out. Added a micro x-wing for free shipping and London bus. Double VIP too, so I had another incentive to just order the thing :)

TheFuzz

Groupon has a $20 gift card to Target for $10. Went and grabbed the AT-ST with an Amazon price match for $23 out of pocket. Gonna build this sucker this weekend.

Ponn

Banned
There will most likely always be new train sets, with improved electronics and using newer parts.

Yea, i'm sure its probably a strong line for them. I guess i'm nervous about missing out on good sets. There are some train sets I would have liked like Emerald Night. Then again there aren't really any sets like that at the moment right? :p

mojiimbo

Outside of LEGO 2x VIP point specials, does LEGO (or other stores I guess) often discounts on larger sets around the holiday time?

I've been going back and forth on whether to get the Classic TV Batcave set now (and get the 2X VIP points), or wait until closer to the holidays when it could possibly get a larger discount (20% off would be perfect).

Recently Barnes and Noble had that LEGO sale, but it excluded most larger sets (like the modulars) and their member coupons I get can't even be redeemed for LEGO stuff.
AFAIK LEGO has some sort of pact with retailers that carry exclusives which precludes the big exclusive sets from being discounted at all with the penalty being that they lose the ability to sell the sets for like 6 months. LEGO is pretty serious about self-policing itself on their end so if some dude at a LBR store does a manual discount on an exclusive set like that the system has a way of alerting the guys in charge of that internally and they'll stop selling the set for months. I've seen it happen with Pet Shop, Ewok Village, Simpsons House and most recently Wall-E. It's pretty serious because for example Ewok Village was unavailable last holiday season through LEGO direct because of that so I'd imagine they potentially left a lot of money on the table and inconvenienced customers.

But it doesn't seem 100% consistent because the Ninjago exclusive temple was just on sale through Lego direct and Amazon had the Sandcrawler and Ewok Village at like 10% discount this week too.

So basically your best best is double VIP and exclusive freebies through LEGO direct or whenever Amazon gives out like a 10% discount(which is essentially almost the same as double VIP in the end.)

wanders

Which set do you guys recommend for small scale robots and building mocs? Preferably in all white. New to this Lego moc thing. TIA :)

wetwired

I have few of his stuff. Great quality. He was one of the few pad printing customizers when I came out of the dark ages. I'll try to take a photo of what I have.
I bought them on eBay when he used to do bidding. Last I checked a long time ago, he only had buy now at fixed prices.

Looks like he's back to bidding http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Lego...528503?hash=item58e6656bf7:g:qWcAAOSwXeJYCoPK

Vittsjos are amazing

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20213312/

https://m.flickr.com/photos/58882944@N05/16357603917/?xajax=1

That link is my old display till I can fix it when I get home.

Good price, easy to set up, slick looking, lot of headroom and depth.

I do use billy's with glass doors for figures.

is the shelf height adjustable on those?

I noticed lots of ideas sets are labeled retiring soon now, including ecto-1 and Wall-e. So if you still need to jump on those, do so!

I ordered the Ecto, as it was on my list for a long time and don't want to miss out. Added a micro x-wing for free shipping and London bus. Double VIP too, so I had another incentive to just order the thing :)

Ecto-1, Wall-E, Big Bang Theory and Doctor Who are all retiring. I have all of them, but I'd say that the first two are absolutely essential if you're at all interested in the franchises. Maybe that goes for the other two as well, but I'm not. BBT is neat and has a ton of figures, but it's a bit plain. The DW set is also relatively dull when it comes to the internal part, but the police box is quite iconic.

wetwired

Ecto-1, Wall-E, Big Bang Theory and Doctor Who are all retiring. I have all of them, but I'd say that the first two are absolutely essential if you're at all interested in the franchises. Maybe that goes for the other two as well, but I'm not. BBT is neat and has a ton of figures, but it's a bit plain. The DW set is also relatively dull when it comes to the internal part, but the police box is quite iconic.

I have no interest in Dr Who at all but I bought it because the police box is iconic and would look good in a town layout with other movie/tv stuff

Ponn

Banned
Working on my Halloween display putting base sets together. Before I start altering it i thought I would post pics of the Green NRG Dragon. It's a really good build, I continue to love the Ninjago Dragon sets. The extra builds are still throwaways, figs are nice extras.

LOOK AT ME!!

I have a blast with all these Ninjago sets so far. They aren't necessarily display pieces though I am making a spot for all the Dragons I have. They are always priced great too from $30 - 50 or so.

I had this piece and I haven't seen it before, might be new.

It's that 2 x 1 cheese slopey piece but it has studs on the bottom for cheating. Not sure how I feel about this. I mean new pieces are nice and i'm sure mocers appreciate them but this just seems like a very highly specialized piece.

Checked the link and I wonder why he posts some that are obviously CGI renders which he didn't before. I always prefer shots of the actual product.

Here's all the Cristo customs I have.

Looks like I got the same Spider-man. I bought these over 3 years ago.
3 of the legs don't show LEGO logo in the feet as I think he colored them somehow since they probably didn't have those colors available. Joker, Dr. Manhattan, and Plasticman are the ones that don't have LEGO logo.
Hmmm...actually orange is a common lego color.

I assume he did the same thing for Sinestro's hair that you did for your Venkman custom.

The Comedian came with some custom cloth for the shoulder pads which I haven't placed.

Working on my Halloween display putting base sets together. Before I start altering it i thought I would post pics of the Green NRG Dragon. It's a really good build, I continue to love the Ninjago Dragon sets. The extra builds are still throwaways, figs are nice extras.

LOOK AT ME!!

I have a blast with all these Ninjago sets so far. They aren't necessarily display pieces though I am making a spot for all the Dragons I have. They are always priced great too from $30 - 50 or so.

I had this piece and I haven't seen it before, might be new.

It's that 2 x 1 cheese slopey piece but it has studs on the bottom for cheating. Not sure how I feel about this. I mean new pieces are nice and i'm sure mocers appreciate them but this just seems like a very highly specialized piece.

Keep pimping those Ninjago brick built dragons!
I'm sure after a few more dragon sets I'll get dragon fatigue, but until then I love those dragons.

Ponn

Banned
YOOO! That inverted 1x2 bow piece. I need lots of them.

Good luck on the hunt. There was a grand total of one used in this set. If it helps the part number for it is 6147050.

Keep pimping those Ninjago brick built dragons!
I'm sure after a few more dragon sets I'll get dragon fatigue, but until then I love those dragons.

I'm a little worried about what is going to happen with the dragons with and after the Ninjago movie. I'm gonna be a little bummed if Kai and Cole end up with those dinky baby dragons next to all the others.

Speaking of customs. I think it was you that posted the Jason Freeny minifig anatomy figures.

CustomBricks does actual minifigs with printing in that style. It's not pad printing. They are UV digital printing.
Link: http://custombricks.net/jasonfreeny.html

EDIT: CustomBricks also did one of my favorite Hulk custom designs. It resembles the early days of Hulk in the comics. She doesn't sell them on her site anymore, but seems some of her resellers have some inventory.
http://www.lapetitebrique.com/en/252-lego-custom-bricks-head

lego-custom-bricks-minifig-accessories-head-hulk-green.jpg

Good luck on the hunt. There was a grand total of one used in this set. If it helps the part number for it is 6147050.
Oh, it will be plentiful soon. Just wait.
All it will take is for Jamie Berard to get a wild hair up his rear and give us 500+ in one set. Bless him.

AFAIK LEGO has some sort of pact with retailers that carry exclusives which precludes the big exclusive sets from being discounted at all with the penalty being that they lose the ability to sell the sets for like 6 months.
Dang,that's pretty intense!

On one hand it's a little disappointing that I likely won't get a big discount on the Classic Batcave, but on the other hand I don't have to worry about waiting so long for a discount and ending up missing the set if it goes out of production too soon.

Granted, I am a huge Pixar and Disney fan, but Wall-E is one if my favourite sets I own, so get it ASAP
Same here, it was both a fun set to build, and I think it's one of the best looking display sets I own too. It's extremely posable and very expressive.

I made sure to contact LEGO and got the improved neck build too. I got one of the one's where the head swung around like crazy.

Same here, it was both a fun set to build, and I think it's one of the best looking display sets I own too. It's extremely posable and very expressive.

I made sure to contact LEGO and got the improved neck build too. I got one of the one's where the head swung around like crazy.

All the early ones do that no?

I have one of those as well and it's the main reason i don't build it, because i REALLY don't feel like having to do the whole contact Lego thing again etc. I know i should but i just have such a big backlog of stuff to build, i'd rather do those instead lol.

Osahi

I have one of those as well and it's the main reason i don't build it, because i REALLY don't feel like having to do the whole contact Lego thing again etc. I know i should but i just have such a big backlog of stuff to build, i'd rather do those instead lol.

Contacting Lego is just one email. Took me five minutes to get my replacement parts

If you have any kind of Lego collection, you already have the spare parts needed.

wetwired

Checked the link and I wonder why he posts some that are obviously CGI renders which he didn't before. I always prefer shots of the actual product.

Here's all the Cristo customs I have.

Looks like I got the same Spider-man. I bought these over 3 years ago.
3 of the legs don't show LEGO logo in the feet as I think he colored them somehow since they probably didn't have those colors available. Joker, Dr. Manhattan, and Plasticman are the ones that don't have LEGO logo.
Hmmm...actually orange is a common lego color.

I assume he did the same thing for Sinestro's hair that you did for your Venkman custom.

The Comedian came with some custom cloth for the shoulder pads which I haven't placed.

He may be doing custom moulds for hair as I know he had a flash a while back with a custom helmet.

I missed out on that catwoman, still annoyed :(

Is that orange suit joker from something in particular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom